Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this a case of Wrongful Dismissal

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by richardW View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Komrade View Post
    Yup as more details come to light sounds like this guy is just a sick SOB with anger issues and zero respect for women.
    but i thought "this guy is going to get thrown under the bus. The world doesn't understand BDSM. He will be painted a perv and burnt at the stake."

At this point nothing described was BDSM and in fact members of the BDSM community have been speaking out saying just that. It's also telling that not one consensual partner has appeared to defend him.

What has been described now from multiple independent sources is a pattern of using his position a celebrity to abuse his dates and get away with it.
    I agree. As I stated in a following post:

From what Ive been reading about this case it seems like he is on the defense super quick. His defense is polished and it seems like he is trying to use the 'woe is me I am a kinkster behind clothes doors and now the world knows im different - ps im innocent'
    FREE THE LOOPING .GIF MEMES
    youtube.com/GrimEmpire

It will be interesting to see how the Court case goes, I would think most people in the media would have clauses in their contract's concerning their reputation / public image, and the need to maintain it as reputable (I don't know re all the union stuff though). Anyway, even if Cbc were legally wrong to fire him, I think, based on what we have seen in the last few days, they were morally bang on. They basically stood up for the women who went to them, and I'm glad they did.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    It will be interesting to see how the Court case goes, I would think most people in the media would have clauses in their contract's concerning their reputation / public image, and the need to maintain it as reputable (I don't know re all the union stuff though). Anyway, even if Cbc were legally wrong to fire him, I think, based on what we have seen in the last few days, they were morally bang on. They basically stood up for the women who went to them, and I'm glad they did.
    Every comment I've seen from people who know labour law say the suit will get tossed because "...as a unionized employee, he has no recourse to sue...".

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

^maybe, I don't know, normally if someone can support they are unfairly dismissed though, they can get some sort of recompense (whether it be via their union, or not). I don't know his contract or his unions contract, and what grounds are needed for dismisal. Regardless though, I think Cbc did the right thing.

Quote Originally Posted by richardW View Post
    Yup as more details come to light sounds like this guy is just a sick SOB with anger issues and zero respect for women.
    but i thought "this guy is going to get thrown under the bus. The world doesn't understand BDSM. He will be painted a perv and burnt at the stake."

Shove the wink up your *** buddy. Dont take my a section of my post out of context.

My full post was:

Sounds like this guy is going to get thrown under the bus. The world doesn't understand BDSM. He will be painted a perv and burnt at the stake.

If it does turn out these relationships were non-consensual he deserves whats coming to him.
    Which is exactly what this turned out to be. A violent psycho who hits women. He used BDSM as an excuse. What he did wasnt close to BDSM. There was no prior consultation with these women. No consent. He beat the women. Period.
    Actually, I think it's wrong to take a whole series of comments out of context. (Though I've probably done it many times.) I hate the "Whatever you say or do WILL BE USED AGAINST YOU" offensive approach to conversations which discourages people from learning and changing their views in a civil discussion or debate. We don't need to be at war on c2e nor are we keeping some kind of score to see who "wins" the debate. (As in Anonymous person A wins, and Anonymous person B loses.) People should be encouraged to change their views, possibly even adopt an opposing view as the 'facts' change and not be ridiculed or locked into an early position simply because they said it earlier. You wouldn't treat your child that way so why treat anyone that way? ...and on current events, single post excerpts disregard the flow of information and the resultant learning that takes place.

C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

^^ My understanding is that through labour law, you can ask for (and sometimes get) reinstatement or backpay. The suit for the millions is dead in the water as far as labour law.

I wonder if he would have had a case, however, in slander/libel law. I don't think he can now, of course.

Eve

CBC to hire 3 rd party company to investigate Ghomeshi allegations

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/cbc-to-...ions-1.2078894
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

Quote Originally Posted by EveB View Post
    ^^ My understanding is that through labour law, you can ask for (and sometimes get) reinstatement or backpay. The suit for the millions is dead in the water as far as labour law.

I wonder if he would have had a case, however, in slander/libel law. I don't think he can now, of course.

Eve
    He could go after the Toronto Star for libel (published defamation) or the women who have come forward publicly or blogged about experiences with him. That he hasn't at this point means he may not believe he could win.

At this point there is now a tidal wave of people confirming his behaviour going back decades. I don't know how this will play out but I think his media career in Canada is over. Especially telling is that two PR firms who's job it was to help him work this out have dropped him meaning they don't believe his reputation is salvageable.

8 women now accuse Jian Ghomeshi of violence, sexual harassment:

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/8-women...#ixzz3HfXyiI00

Quote Originally Posted by jagators63 View Post
    8 women now accuse Jian Ghomeshi of violence, sexual harassment:

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/8-women...#ixzz3HfXyiI00
    He's innocent until proven guilty, but it increasingly seems that with any of the rich, famous, or high achievers - there must be a sick, sordid, predatory or twisted past hidden from view.

Somehow this seemed related (video and subsequent experience below)... Basically, the male attitude towards women. I have no idea what the cause is and couldn't begin to guess beyond one or more of a hundred or thousand potential causes; bad upbringing, bad beliefs, poor sense of humour, strong sense of anonymity, bad genes, bad DNA, bad food, bad air, bad water, lead poisoning, bad drugs, bad experiences, poor outlook, bad testosterone... Does anyone know or understand?

10 Hours of Walking in NYC as a Woman

http://youtu.be/b1XGPvbWn0A

Statement about recent street harassment PSA
    New York City, NY (30th October, 2014)
    excerpt:

"Second, there has been another problem which deserves further attention: the onslaught of rape and death threats that have been directed at the Shoshana B. Roberts, the subject of the video, are unacceptable but sadly unsurprising. When women are visible in online or offline spaces, they experience harassment. When women demand change, they meet violent demands for their silence."

http://www.ihollaback.org

~
    Last edited by KC; 30-10-2014 at 10:31 PM.

His fame and fortune are not going to stop the onslaught coming his way.
    A Toronto lawyer and mother of three has come forward to say she was assaulted.
    Toronto Chief of Police is encouraging anyone who Ghomeshi assaulted to come forward and all allegations will be looked into.

CTV news at 11 pm.
    Last edited by Gemini; 31-10-2014 at 12:05 AM.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

The Globe and Mail have an in depth piece on how the dismissal went down as well as the timeline leading up to it.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...6998/?page=all

In light of Ghomeshis attack on CBC I wonder if the CBC would counter sue Ghomeshi for damage done to its brand and reputation. Especially if he ends up being convicted.

It seems if we're talking multimillion dollar lawsuits its easier to see that level of damage being incurred by the org.

Especially in an online universe right now the trending world wide would be this association;

CBC-Ghomeshi-Serial sexual predatory violence.

The corporation has been smeared with this hits brush. If we're talking defamation here I would imagine CBC has been harder hit at this point.
    Last edited by Replacement; 31-10-2014 at 09:39 AM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

A lot depends on what happens with Ghomeshi's suit. The prevailing opinion among legal commentators is that the suit will be thrown out as it's in conflict with his collective agreement. He is grieving for wrongful dismissal as well. Relevant to this thread it should be noted his suit is not for wrongful dismissal, it's for reputation. I also don't envy who ever has to handle his case from the union right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    In light of Ghomeshis attack on CBC I wonder if the CBC would counter sue Ghomeshi for damage done to its brand and reputation. Especially if he ends up being convicted.

It seems if we're talking multimillion dollar lawsuits its easier to see that level of damage being incurred by the org.

Especially in an online universe right now the trending world wide would be this association;

CBC-Ghomeshi-Serial sexual predatory violence.

The corporation has been smeared with this hits brush. If we're talking defamation here I would imagine CBC has been harder hit at this point.
    Undoubtedly the ceeb has been rocked to it's very core. I feel they should axe the show entirely, not just a repackaged version of it; Q = Chernobyl. I doubt if the ceeb even use his voice from the archives, foolish in my view if they did.

Granted pre-production takes time with many meetings all to be done in short order. The good part, there are some very talented and dedicated people who could do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    His fame and fortune are not going to stop the onslaught coming his way.
    A Toronto lawyer and mother of three has come forward to say she was assaulted.
    Toronto Chief of Police is encouraging anyone who Ghomeshi assaulted to come forward and all allegations will be looked into.

CTV news at 11 pm.

...and apparently (according to one reporter) the women can at any time file a complaint, even many years later.

So some real good may come of all this if women (or guys) everywhere start reporting to the cops any old dates that abused them. If enough unrelated people report on the very same alleged offenders, then I'd imagine there may be something the cops can do.

The problem is that most women appear extremely hesitant to report abuse to police. So wouldn't it be neat if somehow an online community could identify common denominator abusers without really identifying them (and victimizing an innocent guy). Maybe something like a system allowing women the ability to report common factors (home neighbourhood or building, place of employment, place they met, place they went on their date or something) that would allow other women reporting similar details to hone in on a probability that they weren't alone in being victimized by a serial abuser. (eg. A girl could register that the guy that abused her was a lawyer, worked at this truncated postal code, had brown hair, drove a smart car...) Then flags would appear for others reporting some common factors. Their identities would never be made known to each other for credibility purposes if they went the police...
    Last edited by KC; 31-10-2014 at 12:05 PM.

^one of the good things about this case is education. The police are able to get out the message that even if a woman doesn't want to lay charges, she can at least report the incident, which wil help in the future if there are more incidents with the same individual.

I agree. It's one thing to expect a woman (or man) who has had a bad experience to compound this by having to go through the whole legal treadmill. As several commentators have made clear, this is a difficult process for victims because it was designed that way to preserve the "innocent till proven guilty" goal. It really is easier (and I say this with memories of bad dates in my younger days) to move on with your life.

But if there is a lower threshold of merely making sure that the police are keeping records so that if one person is recorded as creating too many bad dates with too many dates then police can track habitual predators. Most predators don't operate at the extreme ends like Ted Bundy. They are simply bad actors who work their way through a community. They are *not* fellows who inadvertently step over the line and are remorseful.

Unfortunately, even this is not as easy as the police leadership assumes when it comes to date rape. It's not promoted for one thing. And there is a real known risk that the victim will encounter not only indifference but actual hostility from an officer who is receiving the report. A bad evening made even worse with no upside.

There are still people who insist that victims who don't volunteer for the legal grinder are villains and that *they* are responsible for the predator's further crimes. They are not. When I was young (when the Sexual Assault laws were Rape laws), it was considered a disservice to the community by some folk if the woman didn't fight back to the death. The predators were defended on the grounds that "boys will be boys" and it's the women's fault that they are so "available".

People who have bad experiences will usually do what is best for themselves and in my opinion that is OK. It is also OK if part of what is best for themselves is to talk about the experience outside of the court system. The court system does not work for the victims, it works for the state.

Eve

Ghomeshi hiding under the BDSM banner is totally bogus. BDSM followers screen and screen then double check to make sure people like him do not get into their circles. Ghomeshi just sounds like a jerk who likes to hurt women and inflict pain and emotional suffering. In my mind he is no better than the likes of Paul Bernardo except for the killings.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    He's innocent until proven guilty, but it increasingly seems that with any of the rich, famous, or high achievers - there must be a sick, sordid, predatory or twisted past hidden from view.
    "Any"? That's a pretty wide brush you paint with.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini
    In my mind he is no better than the likes of Paul Bernardo except for the killings.
    Wow, let's keep things in perspective here. What Ghomeshi is accused of is despicable, abusive behaviour. But it's not even on the same planet as what Bernardo did.

^What, there's is different degrees of pain and torture. Assault is assault.

C2E SME

Are you for real?

Bernardo killed his victims. Before that he inflicted pain and torture. Ghomeshi is inflicting pain and torture under the guise of BDSM. He does not practice BDSM as it should be. All he is doing is assaulting women and using BDSM to say in was consensual. It might have been a matter of time before someone got really hurt from what he does/did. Your telling me I am exaggerating this, maybe you are downplaying it.
    Last edited by Gemini; 31-10-2014 at 02:09 PM.

C2E SME

Bernardo killed his victims. Before that he inflicted pain and torture. Ghomeshi is inflicting pain and torture under the guise of BDSM. He does not practice BDSM as it should be. All he is doing is assaulting women and using BDSM to say in was consensual. It might have been a matter of time before someone got really hurt from what he does/did. Your telling me I am exaggerating this, maybe you are downplaying it.
    Bernardo drugged and tortured his victims for hours, while also repeatedly raping them. You seem to honestly be claiming that had he not eventually killed the women, that what he did was similar to what Ghomeshi did. The accounts of what Ghomeshi did as reported in the media, do not even begin to approach what Bernardo and Homolka did to their victims up until the point that they were killed. It's not even slightly comparable. Not to mention that Bernardo is suspected of having raped several other victims other than those he was convicted of killing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Be...exual_assaults

So no, it's not even remotely defensible to claim that "Ghomeshi is no better than the likes of Paul Bernardo except for the killings." As if the killings, to say nothing of the drugging and extended torture, are just an inconvenient detail that get in the way of your otherwise bulletproof comparison.

^Is a person who was raped once on the same level as a person raped several times. I think they are. We have not heard all of what Ghomeshi did. If he did not stay within the guidelines of BDSM rules then what he did was torture. If you pull somebodies hair and punch somebody in the face without warning it's not classed as a term of endearment. If you beat someone up in the bedroom without their consent it's classed as assault. You cannot put degrees on pain and suffering. Bernardo & Ghomeshi did that type of thing because they got off on it. One is as bad as the other except Bernardo killed.
    P.S. Ghomeshi is innocent until proven guilty.

Of course you can put degrees on pain and suffering! You might not be able to quantify it in the way you seem to expect. But there's a difference between my stubbing my toe of a morning and enduring weeks or months of cancer treatment.

Eve

^We are not talking about toes being stubbed or cancer treatments though . We are talking about rape and assault victims. Pain that has been inflicted on an innocent person. Pain is not always measured in physical terms either.

C2E SME

^Is a person who was raped once on the same level as a person raped several times. I think they are. We have not heard all of what Ghomeshi did. If he did not stay within the guidelines of BDSM rules then what he did was torture. If you pull somebodies hair and punch somebody in the face without warning it's not classed as a term of endearment. If you beat someone up in the bedroom without their consent it's classed as assault. You cannot put degrees on pain and suffering. Bernardo & Ghomeshi did that type of thing because they got off on it. One is as bad as the other except Bernardo killed.
    P.S. Ghomeshi is innocent until proven guilty.
    Your views on this are reprehensible and deplorable.

^What?????????????????????????????

I think there's a lot more stench to come from this sewer.

Possibly this diseased man was progressing into snuff, taking it to another level. Or simply content beating women (as we know so far) in-front of his teddy bear. No cases of full on penetrating rape (so far); however, I imagine the damage and baggage from unwanted 'simulated' or 'faux' rape, not full on penetration would be just as horrific.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Bernardo drugged and tortured his victims for hours, while also repeatedly raping them. You seem to honestly be claiming that had he not eventually killed the women, that what he did was similar to what Ghomeshi did. The accounts of what Ghomeshi did as reported in the media, do not even begin to approach what Bernardo and Homolka did to their victims up until the point that they were killed. It's not even slightly comparable.
    I don't agree with you, somebody who takes pleasure from inflicting pain on unsuspecting people, is scum in my books. It doesn't matter how far they go as it ruins lives regardless, I want bullies like this put away for good. I can have sympathy for someone losing control in a domestic situation (emotions of love, anger and betrayal can be tough for anyone), but not ever for somebody who intentionally lures somebody to their home to attack them.
    Last edited by moahunter; 31-10-2014 at 03:39 PM.

^^I did read about what was said about the teddy bear on his bed. If it's true it's weird.
    Who knows what goes through people heads to do things like that.

Bernardo drugged and tortured his victims for hours, while also repeatedly raping them. You seem to honestly be claiming that had he not eventually killed the women, that what he did was similar to what Ghomeshi did. The accounts of what Ghomeshi did as reported in the media, do not even begin to approach what Bernardo and Homolka did to their victims up until the point that they were killed. It's not even slightly comparable. Not to mention that Bernardo is suspected of having raped several other victims other than those he was convicted of killing.

So no, it's not even remotely defensible to claim that "Ghomeshi is no better than the likes of Paul Bernardo except for the killings." As if the killings, to say nothing of the drugging and extended torture, are just an inconvenient detail that get in the way of your otherwise bulletproof comparison.
    If your saying there is a difference between Ghomeshi and Bernardo which one of these guys would you pick to have a date with one of your female friends or relatives?.
    Last edited by Gemini; 31-10-2014 at 05:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Wilson View Post
    I think there's a lot more stench to come from this sewer.

Possibly this diseased man was progressing into snuff, taking it to another level. Or simply content beating women (as we know so far) in-front of his teddy bear. No cases of full on penetrating rape (so far); however, I imagine the damage and baggage from unwanted 'simulated' or 'faux' rape, not full on penetration would be just as horrific.
    Well, depends how the word 'rape' is defined.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/10...f=canada-music

Well, depends how the word 'rape' is defined.
    Whichever definition a court or a victim uses (or even feels), brutalising another person without consent for your own pleasure is wrong in every way.

This case has just started. Who knows what else has happened. Time will tell.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Toronto Police now investigating Jian Ghomeshi allegations

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/toronto...ions-1.2081077

Yeah it was and I don't actually believe it myself. However, people broadly paint a lot of groups in society with broad and critical brushes ( ex-cons, addicts, criminals, homeless, etc.) so why not turn the tables on some whose status usually makes them fairly untouched by similar critiscm even while they dish out critiscms. (Much like clergy, priests, etc. were untouchable for eons and so got away with deplorable behavior, or the get tough on crime group that sometimes appears to think it's above the law.) The reality may be that plain old awful people, and for that matter, great and good people exist in equal proportions on all strata and segments of society.
    Last edited by KC; 02-11-2014 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Fix typo

A few more articles in the journal today detailing Ghomeshis past and current interaction with the opposite sex.

One of the dynamics that becomes readily apparent is how fixated this person has been with sex his entire life. Not as in a part of life but with sex, and innuendo being a CONSTANT pursuit and interaction. With even his decision to minor in Womens studies looking in retrospect a tawdry way to be guaranteed to frequent more women.

I can't figure it either but this guy has always had women swoon over him. Even while other more evaluative women were disgusted with his traits and behavior.

So much paradox exists within this and so many observers felt that Ghomeshi would never have got away with any of this behavior without his apparent sex appeal. But why was this image appealing in any way whatsoever to so many?

How people didn't immediately see a greasy pervert in this is beyond me. I knew little about this guy but anytime I saw him kind of made my skin crawl.

The vision I always had is some lowbrow that missed the cocaine 70's and unbuttoned shirts era..

its the eternal Gene Simmons type quandary. Women dismiss him as the most disgusting and vile creature ever when they're not bedding down with him. (hopefully not the same people)

This might not be a popular post but I've heard many decent males similarly confused about some of the attraction paradox involved in this.

This creep was probably the most sexusally active male in Canada. That deserves a little attention and questions as well. For instance why behavior like this gets reinforced.
    Last edited by Replacement; 01-11-2014 at 03:27 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

While there were definitely those who found him attractive it seems that most of those who knew him and most of the industry around him were aware there was a problem. Even journalism programs were advising students not do internships at Q. I think the key to his dating was using his celebrity on young women who didn't know him. From the descriptions it also sounds like his personality shifts when a person has his attention and he comes off as charming.

Here it what Jian thought of all you people who loved him.

http://youtu.be/7CCjpTmSwP8

Quote Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
    Here it what Jian thought of all you people who loved him.

http://youtu.be/7CCjpTmSwP8
    “Life is like a prism. What you see depends on how you turn the glass.”
    - Jonathan Kellerman*

Jian Ghomeshi "All My Fans Make Me Sick"
    excerpt: "Published on Nov 1, 2014"

"Prior to a video interview in 1996, Jian Ghomeshi performed this improvisational song.

"This was recorded during my days in college radio. The radio station where I worked as music director, had a sister show called the Groove Tube that aired on campus cable ...he captured this. I always felt a bit awkward about this song as while it seemed rather tongue in cheek, it was also a bit over the top ("truth in fiction" as they say) and we never really did anything with this for the show. ...A year or so ago, I dug up some old tapes including ...."

Jian Ghomeshi "All My Fans Make Me Sick"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSkjqK4SdP8

* look up Kellerman Anyway that video is a "must watch" for everyone. (Much like the episode on the initial Survivor unreality series where some guy felt he had to do something like kill a boar in order to share the food, in order to manipulate his fan's feelings towards him. I think he may even have become the winner.)

Hey, I saw that the poster to the first video link above states that it is "mirrored" minus the relevant commentary. Hmm, why? Anyway, original sources are often enlightening so I've posted that above.

~
    Last edited by KC; 04-11-2014 at 10:31 AM. Reason: add 'more' original video link and excerpt of text

Now if we talk of the possibility an old comedian possibly used date rape drugs and it only becomes widely known now, over four decades later... Is only the tip of the iceberg being exposed?

Jian Ghomeshi drops $55-million lawsuit against the CBC

Plus he has to pay CBC $18000 in legal fees.

So in answer to the thread title I'm going with "No".

C2E Long Term Contributor

Jian Ghomeshi charged with sexual assault
    http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/jian-gh...ault-1.2120037

Former CBC radio host Jian Ghomeshi has surrendered to police and has been charged with sexual assault, police confirmed Wednesday.
    Toronto police said in a statement that Ghomeshi has been charged with four counts of sexual assault and one count of overcome resistance - choking.

Read more: http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/jian-gh...#ixzz3KC1OsGMI
    p.s. Maybe the thread title needs to be changed to something less vague
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I am amused that he has to live with his mom as a condition of his bail.

^ I would have been begging to go to jail instead.

Eve

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by EveB View Post
    ^ I would have been begging to go to jail instead.

Eve
    is that based on what you would have been begging to do instead if you were jian or if you were jian's mom?
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Now this is going to court I wonder how long it will take for the CBC to be dragged into it. If the CBC had a history of knowing about this why was nothing done?. Especially when they hired interns from colleges and universities. Was Ghomeshi every reprimanded or even called into the office about this behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
    I am amused that he has to live with his mom as a condition of his bail.
    The moment he walks into the house, his mother with probably slap him on one side of the head, a back hand to the other, and then do it all over again.

She'll then scream at him while choking him and ask if he is getting excited yet.

I consent to her actions. LOL
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Getting slapped up the side of his head is the least of his worries at the moment.

Seeing as his dad died recently I imagine his mother is quite devastated by all this.

Likely one of his legal strategies for planning to plea 'not guilty' is to drag the CBC into this quagmire. And he may even be exonerated, in Ontario only 35 per cent of people charged with sexual assault in the province are convicted.

However, the 'overcome resistance – choking' charge is rare, and it’s serious, notes David Tanovich, a law professor at the University of Windsor, 'Courts have treated this offence as serious as attempted murder or aggravated sexual assault.'

Jian Ghomeshi not guilty of sexual assault, choking charges.

http://www.thestar.com/news/jian-gho...i-verdict.html

Let's see how long it is before the PR people start to brush up his image to sell him back to the masses although CBC said he's not getting his job back.

C2E SME

He has another trial coming up.

He does. What for?

The feminists and Mangina's are losing their minds over the verdict. I mean, according to many of them we should throw due process out the window and just believe the "survivors". Just look at the wingnuts outside the courthouse, they truly believe men are walking rape machines. One naked broad took a swing at the defense lawyer (I think that's who it was). I mean... WTF?

This was rough, consensual sex that was twisted into sexual assault. Probably once these women realized that sleeping with Ghomeshi wasn't going to further their careers (lets face it, this happens all the time), now it's assault. The letters these women wrote, effectively ruining their credential, completely boggle the mind. In this day of hook up culture it's becoming very clear that men need to start having proof of consensual sex because at anytime over the decades it can come back to haunt him.

Problem is Ghomeshi is still ruined. This is what happens to men, even when found not guilty. Even when women come out and say "I made up the whole story!" and now it's completely false. If I was him, I would be making a long list of people to sue.

I'm not sure it was consensual but I don't think the three women who it happened to were perfectly not up and coming with the information they provided their defence. I do think Ghomeshi pushed the envelope with his encounters with these women but the finding of guilt is to be beyond a reasonable doubt. It also does not help when the court of public opinion is raging feminists not understanding the judicial system. I think the encounters went down just like those women said but they should have went to the police rather than go home and text him and keep in contact with him or send him pictures in their bikinis, tell him he has nice hands. If it happened to my daughter I would say stay the hell away from him and warn others.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitlope View Post
    The feminists and Mangina's are losing their minds over the verdict. I mean, according to many of them we should throw due process out the window and just believe the "survivors". Just look at the wingnuts outside the courthouse, they truly believe men are walking rape machines. One naked broad took a swing at the defense lawyer (I think that's who it was). I mean... WTF?

This was rough, consensual sex that was twisted into sexual assault. Probably once these women realized that sleeping with Ghomeshi wasn't going to further their careers (lets face it, this happens all the time), now it's assault. The letters these women wrote, effectively ruining their credential, completely boggle the mind. In this day of hook up culture it's becoming very clear that men need to start having proof of consensual sex because at anytime over the decades it can come back to haunt him.

Problem is Ghomeshi is still ruined. This is what happens to men, even when found not guilty. Even when women come out and say "I made up the whole story!" and now it's completely false. If I was him, I would be making a long list of people to sue.
    Consensual? Did he ask permission to choke them first? ...and is choking within the bounds of normal expected behaviour that any women should expect?

C2E SME

He does. What for?
    Sexual assault or similar. Different complainant.

This is the crux of matter. They may have agreed to consensual sex but it appears they did not agree to the rough sex. I should imagine most women were asked if he can choke them first, during or after sex I think most would be out of there pretty darn fast. Choking within any bounds is not expected nor wanted.
    I have no doubt Ghomeshi crossed the line with these women but it's he said she said. They did not help themselves by keeping in contact with him and then a couple of them colluding with each other after the story broke. Ghomeshi's lawyer seen the weakness in their cases and just ran with it. I think a lot of us knew what the verdict would be before it was even announced.

Consensual? Did he ask permission to choke them first? ...and is choking within the bounds of normal expected behaviour that any women should expect?
    They didn't seem to have issue with it for 10 years... as a matter of fact there is written evidence that they seemed to rather enjoy it. And that's what sunk them.

Rough sex, which usually includes some choking, is actually quite common. Pulling hair is another one.

They didn't seem to have issue with it for 10 years... as a matter of fact there is written evidence that they seemed to rather enjoy it. And that's what sunk them.

Rough sex, which usually includes some choking, is actually quite common. Pulling hair is another one.
    How about a good kick to the guy's balls and if he liked it - or not - he consented by being there.

Now, is choking quite common because women are asking for it, or because guys just do as they please?

I guess the thing is, if they were considered to have given retroactive consent through their subsequent contact with him, and that is deemed legitimate, then wouldn't retroactive rescission of that consent be equally legitimate?
    Last edited by KC; 25-03-2016 at 12:08 AM.

I think the judge's comments were very clear and quite detailed. He had no other choice than to acquit based on the 'reasonable doubt'.

The women who complained did more disservice to other women and rape victims than Ghomeshi ever did. Not only did they increase the doubt in all other cases of rape but also did not act for 10 years to bring him to justise and protect other women who had contact with him. Rather than telling the truth, they lied and actually conspired to get him and concealed evidence from the police that they still were in contact with him. Instead of emailing him hundreds of times after the assaults and going out of their way to meet with him again, they could have sent emails to the police. I do not understand why these women kept in contact with him and wanted more sex from him once they knew what he does. If someone beats you, would you not want to stay as far away as possible? It is not like they were dependent on his money or shared the same house and would be on the street or were protecting the kids as some women have to rationalize when in an abusive relationship. They had no ties to him other than some emotional need.

This reminds me of women who decide to write to death row inmates they do not know and want to marry them knowing full well that they killed someone, sometimes their former girlfriend. By the same token, Karla Homolka is married to Thierry Bordelais, the brother of Ms. Homolka’s lawyer who knew of her past including the murder of her own sister.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/sex...prisoners.html
    http://nypost.com/2013/12/03/the-wom...ailed-killers/
    They also might be chronically lonely, love-starved or in need of excitement, lured by the bad boy glamour of a real life criminal.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    I think the judge's comments were very clear and quite detailed. He had no other choice than to acquit based on the 'reasonable doubt'.

The women who complained did more disservice to other women and rape victims than Ghomeshi ever did. Not only did they increase the doubt in all other cases of rape but also did not act for 10 years to bring him to justise and protect other women who had contact with him. Rather than telling the truth, they lied and actually conspired to get him and concealed evidence from the police that they still were in contact with him. Instead of emailing him hundreds of times after the assaults and going out of their way to meet with him again, they could have sent emails to the police. I do not understand why these women kept in contact with him and wanted more sex from him once they knew what he does. If someone beats you, would you not want to stay as far away as possible? It is not like they were dependent on his money or shared the same house and would be on the street or were protecting the kids as some women have to rationalize when in an abusive relationship. They had no ties to him other than some emotional need.

This reminds me of women who decide to write to death row inmates they do not know and want to marry them knowing full well that they killed someone, sometimes their former girlfriend. By the same token, Karla Homolka is married to Thierry Bordelais, the brother of Ms. Homolka’s lawyer who knew of her past including the murder of her own sister.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/sex...prisoners.html
    http://nypost.com/2013/12/03/the-wom...ailed-killers/
    They also might be chronically lonely, love-starved or in need of excitement, lured by the bad boy glamour of a real life criminal.
    I don't know about the disservice part. Somehow I think their after-behaviour, forgetfulness, omissions, etc, even their long latent outrage coming to the surface may be fairly common. Think of people that have been bullied. I'd guess that the first thing they do is try to gain respect or favour or something in regards to initial bullying by someone because bullies often come across as being the cool, successful members of the group or society.

On the why some women date the men they do has always been beyond me. Mysteries of the universe stuff. "Bad boys?" If so, it's bizzare. I've known great, kind, sensible guys that have long stayed single while others that I think are total narcissistic jerks that have even married-divorced multiple times. Maybe it's all because the guys traditionally do the asking, leaving women in the position of: "You get what you get, and you don't get upset."
    Last edited by KC; 25-03-2016 at 09:05 AM.

I don't understand people on such issues as cheating on your spouse.

I will use this example from a male perspective but it applies exactly to females as well, or even the LBGTQ
    If a guy (especially those with a family) cheats on their spouse, I seriously wonder what the woman he is having an affair is thinking. Why does she think about the guy who is cheating on his wife and kids, is going to be a good person? He is a liar and even if he leaves his wife and kids and marries her, won't he have the propensity to cheat on her as well? Or do they think that they can change him?

highlander

I think there's a country song about that.

I think I saw that country singer on that program "Q"

I just heard about this in Mexico - third or fourth hand. Someone working there apparently said that during lunch or siestas all these mistresses would show up...

Of course it's another strongly religious country.

Adultery soon not to be illegal in Mexico. Who knew it was?
    MARCH 25, 2011

Social commentator Guadalupe Loaeza says the practice of second households was once widespread, especially among the Mexican political class.

"Mexican casas chicas run through all of Mexico's history: Maximilian himself [the 19th century French-imposed emperor of Mexico] had a casa chica for Conchita Sedano y Leguizamo [his mistress] just outside Cuernavaca," she wrote a few years back when the move to repeal the adultery law first got started.

...The law "was historically used by men to maintain women as property," Sen. Pablo Gomez of the leftist Democratic Revolution Party said (link in Spanish). ...

"The Roman Catholic Church, meanwhile, weighed in (link in Spanish) to remind Mexicans that although adultery may no longer be a crime, it remains forever a sin."

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lapl...-who-knew.html
    Last edited by KC; 25-03-2016 at 07:04 PM.

^Wonderful, the article is 5 years old. Thanks for keeping us up to date.

This thread spans a much broader time span that that.

Do people prefer uncorroborated comments?

Nope, thread started on 26-10-2014.

What does Mexican adultery have to do with this thread?

Sweet F A

This thread spans a much broader time span that that.

Do people prefer uncorroborated comments?
    No, we prefer comments that are in keeping with the flow of the thread.
    Unless Ghomeshi is living in Mexico is secretly married and boinking his mistress.

Unless Ghomeshi is living in Mexico is secretly married and boinking choking his mistresses.
    Fixed that for ya...

Quite likely is all I can say...

KC will be reporting in soon to let us know the Titanic sank.
    Last edited by Gemini; 25-03-2016 at 09:14 PM.

Speaking of the Titanic since you brought it up...

Remember Kate Winslet and DiCaprio?

"We were very interested to let it go and see where it went. I was like, 'If you want to smash me up, OK, you want to smash me up'," said Winslet at a Q&A session which followed a screening of the film in Los Angeles at the weekend.

"We're old friends and we know where we can go with each other," agreed DiCaprio. "She will let me strangle her until she literally passes out in the scene."
    http://www.theguardian.com/film/2008...lutionary-road

Scary coincidence

Wonder what DiCaprio's teddy bear is called?

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Speaking of the Titanic since you brought it up...

Remember Kate Winslet and DiCaprio?

"We were very interested to let it go and see where it went. I was like, 'If you want to smash me up, OK, you want to smash me up'," said Winslet at a Q&A session which followed a screening of the film in Los Angeles at the weekend.

"We're old friends and we know where we can go with each other," agreed DiCaprio. "She will let me strangle her until she literally passes out in the scene."
    http://www.theguardian.com/film/2008...lutionary-road

Scary coincidence
    Look at what fun we can have regurgitating old news.

^^ Don't know but I have a picture

Wonder what DiCaprio's teddy bear is called?
    Oh my.
    Do a google image search.

I was going to say drop the rio but that's tasteless. How about Titanic Teddy.
    Last edited by KC; 25-03-2016 at 10:11 PM.

What stereotype? If anything the stereotype is the opposite with guy's "telling it like it is" and women "finessing" everything. Both are BS of course.

It is an irony of modern judicial system. We have, rightly, adopted an innocent-until-proven-guilty philosophy but in our minds the opposite still strongly lurks. A long struggle to achieve equality in treating men and women, may now have started fallen from the other side of the roof: active discrimination against men.

My knowledge of Ghomesi and his trial is limited to 1-2 articles in Globe & Mail, but I was surprised by the strong majority here commenting against him. Phrases like "no doubt" about what happened and judge had "no choice" but to acquit him. Looking further back in the thread there were also discussions oh how 10s of smelly cases will be revealed soon. So he was assumed guilty even before a trial. And now after the verdict, Ghomesi will remain a tainted name in our collective memory. Maybe that's justice (or Karma or whatever) for him. Then again, maybe not.

Is that a spoof website?

OK I'll explain the article.

Women lie, just like men do. This isn't the 50's Judy Cleaver impression no more.

Can we not acknowledge that in 2016?

Quote Originally Posted by SP59 View Post
    Is that a spoof website?
    Yes

Is that a spoof website?
    Yes
    Ugggh. I saw the other front page article and knew that was hype, but missed the spoofiness of the one I commented on.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    It is an irony of modern judicial system. We have, rightly, adopted an innocent-until-proven-guilty philosophy but in our minds the opposite still strongly lurks. A long struggle to achieve equality in treating men and women, may now have started fallen from the other side of the roof: active discrimination against men.

My knowledge of Ghomesi and his trial is limited to 1-2 articles in Globe & Mail, but I was surprised by the strong majority here commenting against him. Phrases like "no doubt" about what happened and judge had "no choice" but to acquit him. Looking further back in the thread there were also discussions oh how 10s of smelly cases will be revealed soon. So he was assumed guilty even before a trial. And now after the verdict, Ghomesi will remain a tainted name in our collective memory. Maybe that's justice (or Karma or whatever) for him. Then again, maybe not.
    Outside of the possibility of collusion among witnesses, and based on a few media reports of what the witnesses experienced, I'd say he very likely acted with considerable aggression without advance consent. I don't know where the court draws the line on whether or not that would be assault or just a fun time. It seems that the witnesses behavior and the judge's perception of their behavior created enough doubt to force him to disregard their statements.

Ghomeshi trial judge praised by lawyers for 'right decision'

While former CBC Radio host Jian Ghomeshi's acquittal has sparked protests, many within the legal community are praising the decision, agreeing with the judge that the complainants' credibility issues raised reasonable doubt in the case.

"I think the criminal justice system worked perfectly,' said Russell Silverstein, a Toronto-based criminal defence lawyer. "The trial judge did a masterful job of analyzing the evidence, identifying the weaknesses in the prosecution's case and coming to the right decision."

On Thursday, Ghomeshi was acquitted by an Ontario court judge on four counts of sexual assault and one count of choking.

In his ruling, Judge William Horkins scolded the three complainants for their "deceptive testimony," saying that there were serious deficiencies in their evidence that significantly damaged their credibility and reliability.

The trial, which began in Toronto on Feb. 1, 2016, lasted eight days. Ghomeshi had pleaded not guilty to all the charges, which were related to assaults alleged to have taken place from 2002 to 2003.
    More here: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...sion-1.3506613

Outside of the possibility of collusion among witnesses, and based on a few media reports of what the witnesses experienced, I'd say he very likely acted with considerable aggression without advance consent. I don't know where the court draws the line on whether or not that would be assault or just a fun time. It seems that the witnesses behavior and the judge's perception of their behavior created enough doubt to force him to disregard their statements.
    That's my point. We easily brush aside the accusers's misbehavior. You talk like you have witnessed it all yourself. That's weird. I don't care about Ghomesi one way or another. Like I said all I know about him is, like most others, a few articles. My question is why most of us are not even willing to give the accused benefit of the doubt? His career likely ended, as a result of this trial. With such level of public conviction that he is guilty, no media outlet would in their right mind hire him. Maybe that's what he deserved, but I just say I don't have enough information to make that conclusion. So the judge was correct in my opinion, that spoof site notwithstanding.

C2E SME

First of all, that's a satirical news site. You should make that clear when all you're doing is posting a link with the headline and nothing else. Second of all, many people have been taking the judge's comments that the headline is based off of completely out of context. Neil MacDonald addressed that here: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ghomes...nald-1.3506958

The quote Burke and a great many others held up as having perfectly proved Horkins's deep, woman-hating bias was this: "We must fight against the stereotype that all sexual assault complaints are truthful."

Well, first of all, Horkins did not say that. Had Burke or any of the judge's other detractors read the judgment, which was immediately available online, they could have read what he actually wrote, and its context.

"Courts must guard against applying false stereotypes concerning the expected conduct of complainants," Horkins wrote, adding: "The reasonableness of reactive human behaviour in the dynamics of a relationship can be variable and unpredictable.

"However," he continued, "the twists and turns of the complainants in this trial illustrate the need to be vigilant in avoiding the equally dangerous false assumption that sexual assault complainants are always truthful.

"Each individual and each unique factual scenario must be assessed according to their own particular circumstances."

How a statement that reasonable can be taken as an assertion that all women lie (as one of the complainants told reporters after the verdict) is baffling. And yet it was.

C2E Long Term Contributor

I'm no legal expert, so one thing I don't understand is why wasn't Ghomeshi himself called to testify? It was like the victims were on trail instead of the accused rapist.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    I'm no legal expert, so one thing I don't understand is why wasn't Ghomeshi himself called to testify? It was like the victims were on trail instead of the accused rapist.
    Nobody has ever said that testifying in court is going to be a wonderful experience.

Is that a spoof website?
    Yes it's a satirical new's site like the Canadian version of The Onion. Satire is great forces the reader to read between the lines and often conveying it succinctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    More satire . . . Ghomeshi complainants found guilty on all charges of not having an absolutely perfect text-book response to a traumatic event . . .

No doubt its been an interesting thread. In looking back my own impression was that it was very ill-advised activity on the part of Ghomeshi and I maintain that it was.
    However, the gross inconsistency and plotting (I have no trouble using that word in context) of the witnesses to "Put Ghomeshi down" was something that I like to think most people didn't assume in this one. That's perhaps a darker aspect of what has occurred here.

Really, to me, the most unfortunate aspect of this is the realization that some of the complainants biggest issue with Ghomeshi is not really that he engaged in these behaviors, but that he ceased to be interested in, or engaging in those behaviors with them.. With Lucy particularly this was so indelibly clear. Worse still that she hadn't remembered it herself or that she stated she wanted him to continue to be physical with her and puck her brains out.

The very unfortunate thing here, depending on ones perspective, is not that the courts have discredited or influenced women's to coming forward with assault complaints. Its that women with very spurious, and ambivalent complaints and maligning motives have discredited testimony in this case. They've discredited womens rape and assault complaints on front pages of news all across this nation.

Women, essentially, have done this to other women. With apologies to that being generalization but that is the unintended result of this.
    Last edited by Replacement; 26-03-2016 at 12:51 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast