Thread: Kia Soul EV

I'd rather C2E than work!

Default Kia Soul EV

Anyone checked one of these out yet ? From the reports I have read, this is one of the first EV's to really get it right.

We were talking about this last night. If this EV is able to perform as literature is saying it will, we're toying with the idea of dumping the Lexus Luxo-barge that we use day to day, and swapping it for a Soul EV, and just keeping the truck around for long trips.
    Parkdale

Oh boy....

$34,900 for an econo box with no heater that can hardly make it to Elk Island Park and back.

Too rich for me.

I really want to believe in EV but, especially in our climate, the functionality has a long way to go.

Only available in California, initially.

As for KIA in general, my wife and I have both been driving KIAs since 2011 and we love them. Very good quality and design. Plus you get a lot for your money in terms of features.

Of course, electric is a different beast entirely. Just saying, so far my experience with KIA has been excellent.

^^ There is a market segment for which short range is not a big problem, and while I don't know if Kia has implemented it, it should be technically possible to remotely preheat the car while it is still plugged in so range won't be reduced that much in the winter. The price definitely needs to come down though - they won't sell many at twice the price of the gasoline version.

^ I believe in the C & D article I read, it has that feature

I paid that much for a used Toyota Tacoma late last year, I think, if you can actually buy one (manufacturers are notorious for not selling EV's, only leasing them) It might be a good value. I've been fascinated with EV's ever since I was young, and a good friend of the family built a home made EV out of an early '80's Mazda GLC.

The Lexus only ever really gets used as a commuter, and it's a gas pig in the city. I'd trade that car for an EV, as long as I still had a gaspot for longer trips. If we did that, I bet we'd only need to visit a gas station a few times a year
    Parkdale

C2E Hard Core Contributor

#toobaditsakia

The range is fine. Even in our winters, if you only get a third of that range, that's still fine for 90% of edmonton's commute. The no heater kinds makes it useless (is that for real?). I'm sure you can preheat it for the way to work or the mall, but what about on the way home, when it's been sitting in -30 weather for 10 hrs?

^ Heating using battery power will cost range, but it should be possible. If a usable range of 100 km is OK, that leaves ~9 kW-h of the battery capacity for HVAC purposes. That should be plenty for the trip home.
    Recharging the 27 kW-h of batteries would cost about $3.00 - $4.00 (depending on electricity prices and charger efficiency), while gas to go 150 km (using the gas version's 9.8 L/100 km rated city fuel economy) would cost ~$15. At that rate it will take 200,000 km to make up the price premium over the gasoline version.

They are using a heat pump system rather than resistive heating and have a driver only HVAC setting.

Supposed to be more efficient way to heat the passenger cabin. The batteries are heated when it's plugged in to maintain range.

I'm purely speculating but on a -30 day you'll will likey see a 50% drop in range. Especially if the car is left to cool outside unplugged for a couple hours. Clearing the windows is going to use a lot of your range.

Might work as a point A to B commuter if it's plugged in both ends. If your planning to drive from downtown to WEM for Xmas shopping then to Windermere VIP for diner and a movie you'll likely end your trip home in a cab.

I wanted to pick up a Tesla so badly last year but the realities of our climate make EV a major hassle.

Battery tech is evolving quickly. Hopefully in a few years the chemistry will be better suited to our winters.

^ The heat pump's coefficient of performance won't be much above 1 at -30C. In the worst case (very cold weather, no preheating while plugged in) a 40-50% range reduction is probably about right.
    Comparing to the gasoline version: The energy content of gasoline is a little over 30 MJ/L. About 1/3 of that is captured by the engine's cooling system, and perhaps half of that (about 5 MJ) is available to heat the interior (there are still losses to the outside air even with the thermostat closed) . Burning 9 L of gasoline to go 90 km results in ~45 MJ of heat available for HVAC in the gasoline powered version. 45 MJ = 12.5 kW-h, or ~45% of the 27 kW-h available in the batteries for the electric version.

According to worldcarfans.com, Chevrolet is working on a lower-priced variant of the Volt with a smaller battery/lower range for $30,000 American. Probably a better fit for our climate, as having an onboard internal combustion engine gives you both a range-extending charger and some radiant heat from the engine You can hyper-mile on pure electric to your hearts content in the summer, while still being able to drive in the winter.