Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Live Music Venues in Edmonton

A thousand years ago it was Tiffany's (with the Earl's parrot hanging outside) - some kind of Bali-style import shop. When I lived in the neighbourhood it was a couple different vintage shops. Big kudos to the owners/proprietors who are nothing if not persistent. I also wonder if their timing (unintentionally so) isn't just about perfect - they started trying to get this venue on its feet well before the rise and fall of The Needle.

The Artery was the best venue in town for several years - the true inheritor of the Sidetrack mantle. The Aviary is going to be the same and we're a better city for it. Can't wait.

C2E Long Term Contributor

^ I would have been under the impression that the Needle was the inheritor of that mantle before they shut down.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by ajs View Post
    A thousand years ago it was Tiffany's (with the Earl's parrot hanging outside) - some kind of Bali-style import shop.
    Ah the bird store with the bird outside, I wondered if "Aviary" was a nod to that. Good to have some life return to that area.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    ^ I would have been under the impression that the Needle was the inheritor of that mantle before they shut down.
    IMHO, The Needle had no soul to it.

The sidetrack was more than soul, though. It was also a little more accessible for the less bohemian of us than most.
    There can only be one.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander II View Post
    The sidetrack was more than soul, though. It was also a little more accessible for the less bohemian of us than most.
    The Sidetrack put the music first. The Needle put the $ first. That's the feeling I got when I was in there, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    Trying to picture this venue... what was it before?
    https://www.google.ca/maps/@53.56033...7i13312!8i6656

Could have been the whiskey, might have been the gin... but whatever friggin' pixie dust the guys running The Aviary sprinkle around just works. And works spectacularly. A nothing special room, warm and inviting undoubtedly but not exceptional, is the cradle of live music in Edmonton once again. Maybe it's just because it's not a basement (I'm looking at you Sewing Machine Factory, 9910) - whatever it is WE are fortunate to have this. The city should be ashamed of whatever impediments they threw up which delayed this project.

It doesn't hurt that Daniel Romano and his band shook hands with the rock gods on occasion last night. They rushed a couple of hits off the album but the new tunes were impeccable.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123