Thread: Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge | Renovation

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge | Renovation

Jasper Park Lodge to get luxurious makeover
    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/busin...634/story.html

A two-year, $16-million renovation will give the 446 guest rooms, meeting rooms, great hall, lounges and restaurants at the Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge a new and luxurious feel.

Forty guest rooms will be fully renovated by the end of November, work on another 122 rooms begins in the first of two phases in January 2015, and by the summer of 2016, every room will be redone. The rooms located in cabins facing Lac Beauvert are being renovated first.

Interiors are getting new furnishings, including bed frames, amenities and an updated earth tone palette.

“It’s a fresh look. I would never call it modernized because I don’t think the Jasper Park Lodge needs to be modern,” said general manager Markus Treppenhauer. “It’s an expected look for our guests.”

The cabins will retain their cedar log exteriors, while masonry and roofing issues are being addressed.

“The rooms were due for an update,” said Treppenhauer. “They were last done between five and 10 years ago. You need to update colours and furnishings. It needs to be more luxurious.”

Work also continues on a 20-person outdoor hot tub.

And the property’s infrastructure — steam heat and water systems for instance — will be stabilized in a 10-year rehabilitation program.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Continued Contributor

About time. Great resort, but needs to be better.

Hopefully other hotels in Jasper pick up their game. Not a good selection...lack of supply=low competition=sub-par lodging.

Excellent news. I visited the Lodge for the 1st time as an adult last year and considering the reputation it still has, I was disappointed. Glad to see investment in this treasure.
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

Definitely needed. I hope it's enough to bring it to where it needs to be.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Well they promise not to "modernize" it, but my fear is that in today's parlance "luxury" still just means to drywall everything and add some MDF trim.

A photo of the original lodge?
    http://www.jaspermuseum.org/header/b...collection.jpg

..and some more old, old views...

https://belocchio.files.wordpress.co...01_3_f-p01.jpg

http://www3.csj.ualberta.ca/imaginat...9/image024.png

Bing Crosby...
    http://magellanstraits.files.wordpre...49_jpl-462.jpg
    Last edited by KC; 11-11-2014 at 06:47 PM.

Markus is fantastic, good to see some love for this property.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E Posting Power

It's great to hear, every time I stay, I leave a comment card indicating a hot tub is a must !!! A "warm" pool is great for daytime fun but doesn't do the trick after a long day at the hill
    i love lamp

Agreed. Outdoor as well please and thank you.
    www.decl.org

'Work also continues on a 20-person outdoor hot tub.' !!!!

from the edmonton journal article
    www.decl.org

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

about....%^$&@!...time

I stayed there for a week-long certification conference 2 weeks ago, and was absolutely disappointed in the place. The ceiling tiles were hanging down and water stained, carpets were threadbare, cabins were 2 steps down from Motel 6, doors were pathetically warped and stuck...basically it looked like it hadn't seen some good TLC since 1950.

The bathrooms were absolutely laughable. I get that people's height has changed...but unless you are 5'1" tall, you'll find it absolutely cramped.

The conference rooms were abysmal given what the expectations are. The chairs were absolutely warped, and several broke when people sat on them.

It was extremely disappointing given the reputation and the price. I was going to rant when I got back, but heard rumors of this upgrade.

I cannot support this project any higher than to say about @#$^# time!!!! Get it done! Make it so!
    Tired of being taken advantage of .

I'd rather C2E than work!

In some ways I wish Jasper had a "castle" type hotel like Banff Springs or Chateau Lake Louise, I realize that Jasper Park Lodge is historic but the other two are many times better than Jasper Park Lodge ever will be.

Get to JPL at least once a year. love it but it needs some serious loving. I love the old hunting lodge feel. sitting in front of the fire place for a snack or in my case a nap is always a treat. I was at Banff Springs 2 weeks ago and even it has its rough edges. The amount of tourist gawkers at BSH and CLL even the Empress is what I find is the issue JPL doesn't get that. But JPL is neglected. Heading up to JPL next month for a few days of R&R and will report back on what is going on.

JPL needs upgrades, no doubt.

But among the chateaus mentioned, JPL is the only one that dedicates the entire main floor and most of the cabins to "the view."

And what a freakin view it is at that!

Oh, hot tub? Y-E-S
    ... gobsmacked

Quote Originally Posted by sundance View Post
    In some ways I wish Jasper had a "castle" type hotel like Banff Springs or Chateau Lake Louise, I realize that Jasper Park Lodge is historic but the other two are many times better than Jasper Park Lodge ever will be.
    I love the other 2, but prefer the cabin/outdoorsman appeal of JPL. Each has their own great elements, but this is quite suitable to Jasper.
    www.decl.org

^ totally agree.

However, there's something to be said for stone and concrete construction. I do remember looking up towards the ceiling in the main lodge and thinking; geez, now doesn't that look like it's covered in those old style asbestos panels. If so, maybe the big fire in the past caused this upgrade.

C2E SME

The main lodge, location and layout of JPL are great, but much agreed that the cabins/rooms themselves have been allowed to deteriorate far too much. My family has started going once a year and renting one of the larger ones, and it strikes me as odd that we're paying 4 figures a night for a cabin that has holes in the carpet and couch fabric, and plumbing fixtures out of the 50's. It doesn't need to be "modern", but it shouldn't be falling apart.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    (...) It doesn't need to be "modern", but it shouldn't be falling apart.
    Agreed wholeheartedly. This is a key point that the Fairmont folks need to take into account...and hopefully already do. My entire rant to their management was exactly this...
    Tired of being taken advantage of .

C2E Posting Power
    Below that old white mountain, just a little southeast of Nome

Does anyone know the connection that Jasper seems to have with the Haida? The totem pole in town is of Haida origin and the artwork above the fireplace in the lobby of JPL strikes me as being Haida as well or if not at least from one of the pacific coastal tribes? Missed opportunity in my opinion to showcase some local Alberta native artwork a la Alex Janvier or similar.

The room looks like a set from the movie "The Shining".
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

Quote Originally Posted by edTel View Post
    Does anyone know the connection that Jasper seems to have with the Haida? The totem pole in town is of Haida origin and the artwork above the fireplace in the lobby of JPL strikes me as being Haida as well or if not at least from one of the pacific coastal tribes? Missed opportunity in my opinion to showcase some local Alberta native artwork a la Alex Janvier or similar.
    I was disappointed the 2010 Olympics used an Inukshuk as a symbol or logo, if any place SHOULD have used a totem pole it should have been the Vancouver Olympics. Janvier certainly would have been a better choice for Jasper.

The new bar looks pretty good. It reminded me of the old steam engines that ran that route. As for the rooms. we were told the room we had was renovated but if it was I was not impressed. Plus missing a few lamps. we needed a flash light to light the fireplace. The grounds still require significant upgrades. The hot tub upgrades are quite nice. Will be back there in Oct or Nov for I biannual stay so hopefully they have more done. I was told they are also upgrading the kitchens.

Quote Originally Posted by BalancedOP View Post
    The new bar looks pretty good. It reminded me of the old steam engines that ran that route. As for the rooms. we were told the room we had was renovated but if it was I was not impressed. Plus missing a few lamps. we needed a flash light to light the fireplace. The grounds still require significant upgrades. The hot tub upgrades are quite nice. Will be back there in Oct or Nov for I biannual stay so hopefully they have more done. I was told they are also upgrading the kitchens.
    Any pictures?

I was going to get a shot or 2 but alcohol and the fire place had their way with me. Both Days.

A bit of history...

"2015 marks one hundred years of unforgettable experiences at Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge, and we want you to help us celebrate! Submit your favourite memory of JPL and we'll choose one lucky guest to stay with us for just 25 cents/night
    Click here for contest full details"
    http://www.fairmont.com/jasper/

http://www.fairmont.com/jasper/hotelhistory/

Jasper Park Lodge

"The main building, reputed to be the largest single-level log structure in the world, was destroyed by fire in 1952;[3] it was replaced by the current lodge, which was completed the following year."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jasper_Park_Lodge
    Samples of several postcards for sale from the website link below. (Image will likely disappear soon)

http://images-00.delcampe-static.net...00/844_001.jpg

http://www.delcampe.com/page/item/id...anguage,E.html

http://www.delcampe.com/items?search...&useAsDefault=
    Last edited by KC; 17-06-2015 at 12:56 AM.

If anyone's interested.

The Habitat for Humanity Restore South has a couple of JPL's doors. One from the shops on (I think) the Promenade (fir w/ reddish rustic finish and glass panes / lite's ) and one of the big thick* (well over the std. 2 3/4" thick) brown side entrance or hallway doors (with a couple small square windows with thick wood frames/trim around them). All three HFH stores have some of the JPL dining room chairs (dark brown or cherry finishes and clear maple like finishes) . HFH West has other wingback chairs and some other stuff.

* the big brown door may date back a long ways. It's very, very heavy. 84" tall I think it said. Put glass on it and it might make an interesting conversation piece coffee table or something...
    Last edited by KC; 26-06-2015 at 11:22 PM.

Old write up on the History of Jasper Park Lodge (construction, architectures styles, etc)

http://parkscanadahistory.com/public...park-lodge.pdf
    Last edited by KC; 13-05-2017 at 10:57 AM.