Thread: Bicycle infrastructure in other countries

Default Bicycle infrastructure in other countries

Who has cycled abroad? I want to hear about your experience cycling in other countries. Were you cycling for fun or commuting? What things did you like/dislike about the cycling infrastructure and what everyone thought about cyclists/cycling? What cycling infrastructure did you see that might be a good fit for Edmonton?

I'd rather C2E than work!

You might find this interesting:
    http://webarchive.nationalarchives.g...-cities-towns/

Also, a thread on C2E some time ago titled, IIRC, Bike Fund Planning.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

I've cycled in Denmark. Loved it. Separated bike path from the sidewalk on every street, its just normal there.

Ah Denmark. Great for cars and cyclists.

Not so much for pedestrians.
    ... gobsmacked

Amsterdam was awesome. Essentially 3 lanes: cars, bicycles/motorbikes, and pedestrians. Exactly how it should be.

Here we keep trying to stuff bicycles into a box they don't fit in. Cars smush people on motorbikes and bicycles. Bicycles can seriously injure a pedestrian. It makes sense to separate all 3 types of traffic.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

^ If by motorbikes you mean mopeds and 50 cc scooters, then maybe. What most people think of when they hear "motorbike" is a much more powerful machine that can out-accelerate most cars and has absolutely no business sharing space with pedal bikes. They can mix with car traffic just fine.