Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 100 of 1270

Thread: Emerald Tower | 154m, 45 floors | Proposed

  1. #1
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    3,160

    Default Emerald Tower | 154m, 45 floors | Proposed

    This is what is being proposed for the old Jasper Ave CWB branch and the small strip mall currently housing Mac's and a liquor store (North side of Jasper Ave between 113 and 114 Streets)

    Jasper Avenue Apartment Hotel
    Der & Associates Architecture - Jim Der
    11310 - 11350 Jasper Avenue NW
    Sites legally described as:
    Lots 113 - 118, Block 13, Plan NB
    http://www.edmonton.ca/city_governme...ber2Agenda.pdf
    Don't feed the trolls!

  2. #2
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Edmonton area.
    Posts
    7,108

    Default

    Very interesting. Can't wait for more details.

  3. #3
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    31,307

    Default

    Thank Christ that Macs with the front parking will be toast
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

  4. #4
    C2E SME
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    10,957

    Default

    Could be very interesting, I will reserve judgement or praise till I see more of the proposal.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

  5. #5

    Default

    Wow. Very promising for 113 street. That's two big negatives on the chopping block. Would be a spectacular gain if this project turns out well.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

  6. #6

    Default

    Very promising for the mid-to-western end of Jasper ave too.

    Now only if we can get that car dealership to relocate and redevelop!

  7. #7
    Partially Addicted to C2E
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    edmonton+halifax+vancouver
    Posts
    300
    "By its nature, the metropolis provides what otherwise could be given only by traveling; namely, the strange." --J.J.

  8. #8

    Default

    I am sure what they will come up with will be decent for that part of Jasper Ave.

    Hopefully, time will come and the truck dealership will find another place.

  9. #9
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    31,307

    Default

    I think the Design Committee will need to put them on a short lease.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

  10. #10

    Default

    Hopefully this will be 2-3 towers rather than 1 like J22.

  11. #11
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    46,996

    Default

    A wee bit worried stylistically... but good potential infill.
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  12. #12
    C2E SME
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    10,957

    Default

    Based off of their current projects, they do seem to like a rainbow motif.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whyteknight View Post
    Wow, none of that fits the bill.

    I would suggest they could make more money by flipping to someone with experience building nice things in similar locations (like Regency...)
    Let's make Edmonton better.

  14. #14
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Edmonton area.
    Posts
    7,108

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Very promising for the mid-to-western end of Jasper ave too.

    Now only if we can get that car dealership to relocate and redevelop!
    Like Calgary Trail, Ellerslie/Cavanagh

  15. #15

    Default

    Their entire portfolio:

    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

  16. #16
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Edmonton area.
    Posts
    7,108

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by whyteknight View Post
    Wow, none of that fits the bill.

    I would suggest they could make more money by flipping to someone with experience building nice things in similar locations (like Regency...)
    If it's true that they paid 10 mil for the property they must have something bigger lined up than anything similar to these projects, hopefully

  17. #17

    Default

    ^ Indeed.

    We'll see, I guess.

    Thank goodness for the EDC, and the fact that this will require a rezoning to be in any way worth paying $10m.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

  18. #18
    C2E Continued Contributor
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    1,395

    Default

    I suppose something developed as an "apartment-hotel" could end up a lot of different ways, I am very interested to see what is proposed here.

  19. #19
    Becoming a C2E Power Poster
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    452

    Default

    I think I should clarify the $10m price, because I was just passing on information that I was told by someone that is part of the ownership group of the Mac's property adjacent to the CWB building...Make no mistake, I am not one of the C2E heavy hitters, so I wouldn't take my second hand information as gospel.

    Anyways...

    What I was told by them was that the developers of The Pearl purchased the land for $10M with the intention of doing a mixed Hotel/Apartment (...which, judging by their application to the city appears to be true?).

    They specifically mentioned to me that Mac's would continue to be a tenant there.

  20. #20
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Edmonton area.
    Posts
    7,108

    Default

    If Regency's involved that's excellent. Yes the Macs store is handy.

  21. #21

    Default

    Regency, ~44 storeys

  22. #22

    Default

    Wow, that would be great.

    Still wondering about the design, but I think Regency deserves the benefit of the doubt for their work in Oliver.

    Look forward to further details.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

  23. #23
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    46,996

    Default

    Not so sure it is Regency.
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  24. #24
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    7,587

    Default

    Not Regency from what I've heard.

  25. #25
    Becoming a C2E Power Poster
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    452

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
    Not Regency from what I've heard.
    I trust you more than I trust myself

  26. #26
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    7,587

    Default

    ^Are you sure about that

  27. #27
    C2E SME
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    10,717

    Default

    I've been told that it is indeed Regency. But who knows!

  28. #28

    Default

    Though regency has had its hits/misses design wise, they do actually move forward on their projects and they are built quite timely, so would be good news if it is them as we would see action on the site sooner than later

  29. #29
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    7,587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    I've been told that it is indeed Regency. But who knows!
    Based on a meeting someone had from the City I don't believe its Regency. But maybe that was another offer that expired….I don't really know at this point either.

  30. #30
    Becoming a C2E Power Poster
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    452

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
    ^Are you sure about that
    If I am right, you have to upgrade my status from 'First One is Always Free' to 'Development Insider'

  31. #31
    C2E SME
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    10,717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
    Based on a meeting someone had from the City I don't believe its Regency. But maybe that was another offer that expired….I don't really know at this point either.
    The only confusion in what we were told might be on the exact lot/location. Otherwise, it's pretty much straight from the horse's mouth. Maybe they've got a partner involved or something.

  32. #32
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    7,587

    Default

    Did some sleuthing and it is indeed Regency. They paid between 225-230psf, which isn't a bad price, a little high if you ask me.

  33. #33
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    7,587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AUsenik View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
    ^Are you sure about that
    If I am right, you have to upgrade my status from 'First One is Always Free' to 'Development Insider'
    Upgrade that status son!

  34. #34
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Edmonton area.
    Posts
    7,108

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
    Did some sleuthing and it is indeed Regency. They paid between 225-230psf, which isn't a bad price, a little high if you ask me.
    This is getting good!

  35. #35

    Default

    I like how The Pearl has turned out. Would be really neat if this came out at that scale and exterior quality.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

  36. #36

    Default

    It doesn't have to be curtain windows, but good textures, materials, and colour displacement are vital.

    This project has a huge potential
    and may even spark the same redevelopement for Shoppers next door.

  37. #37
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    7,587

    Default

    ^I just hope its not a Rainbow Bright building that the said architect seems to like.

  38. #38

    Default

    Architect of record?
    Let's make Edmonton better.

  39. #39

    Default


    Don't frighten me!

    I hope Regency interacts with this forum for input as the design process is in progress. We are the people of this community that has to live with it afterall... This project, in my opinion, will dictate the quality aestheticness of this street (109st-124st) from here on, so lets get it right.

  40. #40
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Edmonton area.
    Posts
    7,108

    Default

    Regency will be telling their architect what they want, not the other way around, so don't fret. They know what they're doing and I doubt very much you will be consulted.

  41. #41
    C2E Continued Contributor
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Windermere
    Posts
    1,993

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    I hope Regency interacts with this forum for input as the design process is in progress. We are the people of this community that has to live with it afterall... This project, in my opinion, will dictate the quality aestheticness of this street (109st-124st) from here on, so lets get it right.
    Last edited by TheGreatestX; 29-11-2014 at 09:09 AM.

  42. #42
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    7,587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
    Architect of record?
    Maybe, but that would only make sense if Regency brought in an architect from another Province that is not registered to practice in Alberta. And if it was a 'starchitect' then I'd think they would have chosen a different architect of record. No slag to Der & Associates capabilities as I really don't know them at all, but their portfolio doesn't really impress me.
    Last edited by ChrisD; 29-11-2014 at 12:18 PM.

  43. #43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    Hopefully this will be 2-3 towers rather than 1 like J22.
    The space seems very big so it would be a great location for a couple of towers.

  44. #44
    C2E SME
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    10,957

    Default

    What I wouldn't mind seeing something where there is a 3 to 6 storey podium which could be made to look like 2 or 3 separate buildings and at least 2 towers above the podium.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

  45. #45
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Edmonton (belevedre)
    Posts
    6,502

    Default

    I hope this towers is more like Jasper house or Pearl
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

  46. #46
    C2E Continued Contributor
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Edmonton of course
    Posts
    1,147

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 3LV1S View Post
    Regency, ~44 storeys
    Whenever I see a random post like this from a name I don't reconize I take them serious.
    live for happiness because without it everything seems ho hum

  47. #47

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Regency will be telling their architect what they want, not the other way around, so don't fret. They know what they're doing and I doubt very much you will be consulted.
    How did a statement regarding them to come online and interact on this forum be interpreted as them having to consult with me?

    Did we not have an influence in that horrid paint color rooftop? Something, by construction standard, is so minor, yet they took us seriously with our inputs...

  48. #48
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Edmonton area.
    Posts
    7,108

    Default

    I'm thinking coincidence.

  49. #49

    Default

    No...

  50. #50
    C2E Continued Contributor
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Windermere
    Posts
    1,993

    Default

    You're delusional if you think they changed the color because of connect2edmonton

  51. #51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
    Architect of record?
    Maybe, but that would only make sense if Regency brought in an architect from another Province that is not registered to practice in Alberta. And if it was a 'starchitect' then I'd think they would have chosen a different architect of record. No slag to Der & Associates capabilities as I really don't know them at all, but their portfolio doesn't really impress me.
    But surely it makes more sense than lead architect, no?

    High rise location, highrise lot, highrise price, a strong highrise market and even a highrise developer, but architect with zero highrise experience?

    I dunno. That's the best I can come up with.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

  52. #52
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Edmonton area.
    Posts
    7,108

    Default

    I believe Jim Der also has offices in Burnaby so likely a go between with a west coast firm, guessing.

  53. #53
    Becoming a C2E Power Poster
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    452

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jagators63 View Post
    I hope this towers is more like Jasper house or Pearl
    I have nothing to qualify this statement, but if they are building rental apartment units (and not condos that people will own and take pride in protecting the value of), I don't think they will go to the same level of finishing & amenity space of those projects.

  54. #54
    C2E SME
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    10,717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
    Architect of record?
    Maybe, but that would only make sense if Regency brought in an architect from another Province that is not registered to practice in Alberta. And if it was a 'starchitect' then I'd think they would have chosen a different architect of record. No slag to Der & Associates capabilities as I really don't know them at all, but their portfolio doesn't really impress me.
    But surely it makes more sense than lead architect, no?

    High rise location, highrise lot, highrise price, a strong highrise market and even a highrise developer, but architect with zero highrise experience?

    I dunno. That's the best I can come up with.
    Regency purchased a site from Prism developments over in Westmount that was already mostly designed. Jim Der was the architect on it. I believe that purchase happened sometime in the past year or so. That's the connection. I sincerely doubt that any other architect will be involved on this site.

  55. #55
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    3,160

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
    Architect of record?
    Maybe, but that would only make sense if Regency brought in an architect from another Province that is not registered to practice in Alberta. And if it was a 'starchitect' then I'd think they would have chosen a different architect of record. No slag to Der & Associates capabilities as I really don't know them at all, but their portfolio doesn't really impress me.
    But surely it makes more sense than lead architect, no?

    High rise location, highrise lot, highrise price, a strong highrise market and even a highrise developer, but architect with zero highrise experience?

    I dunno. That's the best I can come up with.
    Regency purchased a site from Prism developments over in Westmount that was already mostly designed. Jim Der was the architect on it. I believe that purchase happened sometime in the past year or so. That's the connection. I sincerely doubt that any other architect will be involved on this site.
    The fact that it was Prism initially could be a good thing or bad thing as they seem to be all over the place in their designs. That being said, there is nothing to say that Regency couldn't have gone back to the architect to improve the design once they purchased the site.

    Fort Mac Rental:


    Edmonton Condo (Westmount Heights):

    http://prismdevelopments.com/wp-cont...Westmount1.jpg
    Don't feed the trolls!

  56. #56
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    46,996

    Default

    ^indeed. The Fort Mac one I would love to see all over central Edmonton, bang on!
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  57. #57

    Default

    The Fort Mac project is a beauty with its nice use of glass and fine detail. Whereas, the Edmonton Westmount condo rendering looks like a old hospital from the 60's or 70's.

  58. #58

    Default

    That looks more like a Victoria project than Mac. The buildings in the background are definitely not Fort Mac.

  59. #59
    C2E SME
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    10,717

    Default

    In any case, the nice building is one proposed by Prism, but it's not by Der & Associates. People are confusing architects with developers for some reason.

  60. #60
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    3,160

    Default

    I'm not. It's the developer that chooses the architect and whom sets out what they want in the building aesthetically. I simply was pointing out that Prism is a bit all over the place with its design choices, seeing as Regency inherited their design. It's up to Regency to modify Prism's good or bad design.
    Don't feed the trolls!

  61. #61
    First One is Always Free
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    74

    Default

    I highly doubt that the Fort Mac building will get built at this point. The Market is saturated here right now.

  62. #62

    Default

    they have fenced off the old CWB building. I suppose demolition is coming soon.

  63. #63
    C2E Posting Power
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    754

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JustYeggin View Post
    they have fenced off the old CWB building. I suppose demolition is coming soon.
    wow, is this one that progressed/serious?
    any more word on whether 1 tower @ 44 is real?
    i love lamp

  64. #64
    C2E Continued Contributor
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Royal Gardens
    Posts
    1,694

    Default

    Hotel apartment could be great if it could open right now. Alberta Place suites is closing Dec 30 and reverting to apartments. That leaves only Canterra Suites on 110 St as the only hotel apartment suites provider in the central downtown core.
    My antidepressent drug of choice is running. Cheaper with less side effects!

  65. #65
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    46,996

    Default

    'Alberta Place suites is closing Dec 30 and reverting to apartments.'

    It is?
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  66. #66

  67. #67
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Edmonton area.
    Posts
    7,108

    Default

    I can see that with the amount they can collect in rent right now without having to pay any staff.

  68. #68
    C2E Continued Contributor
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Windermere
    Posts
    1,993

    Default

    Wow, following Edmonton House.

  69. #69
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    31,307

    Default

    Alberta Place is still stuck in the 70s, I'm sure you'd see Herb Tarlek there.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

  70. #70
    First One is Always Free
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    98

    Default

    Demolition has begun on the former CWB Bank location - bulldozer is on site and digging. Shouldn't be long before we have a nice hole in the ground.

    As for the Alberta Place, this has been in the works for a while although staff literally just found out. The Asian group that owns the property is smart to do this, although as a Hospitality Inspector, I can tell you that the Alberta Place was a hidden gem in downtown Edmonton. Sure it was older, but the staff at that hotel maintained some of the cleanest rooms available. The two new hotels under construction cannot open soon enough - when high season begins again in February, there will be a crunch for hotel rooms in the core that could prevent business from coming to the city. Good for existing hotels like the Westin and Fairmont who run at capacity 5-6 nights per week in the busy months.

  71. #71

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Alberta Place is still stuck in the 70s, I'm sure you'd see Herb Tarlek there.
    Did you know the size of one's mouth actually doesn't make up for other deficiencies?
    Let's make Edmonton better.

  72. #72
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    31,307

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GrahamEDM View Post
    Demolition has begun on the former CWB Bank location - bulldozer is on site and digging. Shouldn't be long before we have a nice hole in the ground.

    As for the Alberta Place, this has been in the works for a while although staff literally just found out. The Asian group that owns the property is smart to do this, although as a Hospitality Inspector, I can tell you that the Alberta Place was a hidden gem in downtown Edmonton. Sure it was older, but the staff at that hotel maintained some of the cleanest rooms available. The two new hotels under construction cannot open soon enough - when high season begins again in February, there will be a crunch for hotel rooms in the core that could prevent business from coming to the city. Good for existing hotels like the Westin and Fairmont who run at capacity 5-6 nights per week in the busy months.
    I knew some out of town contractors who stayed at Alberta Place recently and they weren't very impressed. So they started staying at the Marriott near the Hotel Mac or the Canterra at Jasper/110 St.

    Is the suite hotel concept dying out in general due to reduction in long-term business travel, or just in downtown Edmonton? When I used to work on the road for 6-month gigs, staying in a suite hotel c/w full kitchen was my preference so that I wouldn't have to rely on eating out all the time, plus under a long-term rental agreement I was able to keep most of my luggage there when I'd travel home for the weekends.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

  73. #73
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    7,587

    Default

    ^No, its not dying. There is another downtown hotel looking and developing a suite hotel. Can't say who at this point.

  74. #74
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Edmonton Downtown Core
    Posts
    4,861

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
    ^No, its not dying. There is another downtown hotel looking and developing a suite hotel. Can't say who at this point.
    Hopefully its a major chain and its a substantial development so there are at least some amenities. It will do very well downtown as that is where people want to be if they are visitors...not stuck in the boonies.

  75. #75
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Edmonton area.
    Posts
    7,108

    Default

    I could hardly sleep the other night just thinking about this building, I drove by yesterday to see the demo and saw the Pagnotta sign. Now I am really wondering and cant wait for some more info. Now ChrisD throws out another little tidbit that has me thinking. Anxiety or what. Lol
    Last edited by Drumbones; 15-12-2014 at 07:18 PM.

  76. #76

    Default

    Wow! don't take much to get you worked up.

  77. #77
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Edmonton area.
    Posts
    7,108

    Default

    Ya, I hope to get a life sometime. lol

  78. #78
    C2E SME
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    10,717

    Default

    I wouldn't get too excited about the project as yet, in terms of it starting immediately. Regency has a lot on their plate between wrapping up the last bit of the Pearl, topping out and completing the interiors for Edgewater, and potentially starting one or two other smaller projects prior to this one. Then again, we were kind of taken by surprise by how quickly they went ahead with the Edgewater Towers, so maybe they'll surprise us again.

  79. #79
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    46,996

    Default

    I suspect a F&F to get the parkade going in 2015, tower in 2016 which would be nice timing for them.
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  80. #80

    Default

    They have established a rythm already due to multiple completed projects and experiences. As long as manpower are there for construction, and they are financially sound, i don't see a problem.

  81. #81
    C2E SME
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    10,717

    Default

    I've been their mechanical contractor on every recent project other than the Pearl. I'm not just pulling guesses out of thin air here.

  82. #82
    Becoming a C2E Power Poster
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Spruce Grove
    Posts
    215

    Default

    We stayed at the Alberta Place when we moved here in May, and aside from the slow elevators, it was great. The Housekeeping staff rock!

  83. #83

    Default

    ^^
    No one, myself included, is suggesting anything. My comment was based on generalization. As for facts, you may get an insider's gossip, but you don't sit on their boardroom and collaborate on decission making either.

  84. #84
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Edmonton area.
    Posts
    7,108

    Default

    Marcel will likely be getting a delivery soon with some drawings and information, a bid package of some kind and then he can tell us all the details. Right Marcel?

  85. #85
    C2E SME
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    10,717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Marcel will likely be getting a delivery soon with some drawings and information, a bid package of some kind and then he can tell us all the details. Right Marcel?
    I never have to sign confidentiality agreements or anything, but nor is it appropriate for me to run to these boards and share details of every project the second I get drawings. But the fact is that we haven't even provided budgeting on this project, and haven't seen even preliminary architectural floorplans let alone complete mechanical drawings. I spoke with the mechanical consultant on the project the other day at a Christmas party, and he indicated that they've started working on the drawings, but it sounded like they're probably a couple months away.

    Then again, they don't need final drawings to start digging a hole either.

    Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    ^^
    No one, myself included, is suggesting anything. My comment was based on generalization. As for facts, you may get an insider's gossip, but you don't sit on their boardroom and collaborate on decission making either.
    Actually, we often do provide budgeting and advice long before projects get officially under way. We may not be making the decisions, but we're "in the room."
    Last edited by Marcel Petrin; 18-12-2014 at 09:58 AM.

  86. #86
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    31,307

    Default

    It's still gonna take a year or two to design the building, do the permit dance, community consulting and all that. Right?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

  87. #87
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Edmonton area.
    Posts
    7,108

    Default

    ^^ Thanks Marcel. I was just kidding actually.

  88. #88
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    31,307

    Default

    CWB building is now demolished, so they've gone that far at least
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

  89. #89

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    ^^ Thanks Marcel. I was just kidding actually.
    Remember, the verbal intonation in your head does not translate to text, nor is your intent always clear from the context of your written message. When you are kidding, it's highly advisable you say it out right, as you just did, or use a common abbreviation like "j/k "

  90. #90

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Marcel will likely be getting a delivery soon with some drawings and information, a bid package of some kind and then he can tell us all the details. Right Marcel?
    I never have to sign confidentiality agreements or anything, but nor is it appropriate for me to run to these boards and share details of every project the second I get drawings. But the fact is that we haven't even provided budgeting on this project, and haven't seen even preliminary architectural floorplans let alone complete mechanical drawings. I spoke with the mechanical consultant on the project the other day at a Christmas party, and he indicated that they've started working on the drawings, but it sounded like they're probably a couple months away.

    Then again, they don't need final drawings to start digging a hole either.

    Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    ^^
    No one, myself included, is suggesting anything. My comment was based on generalization. As for facts, you may get an insider's gossip, but you don't sit on their boardroom and collaborate on decission making either.
    Actually, we often do provide budgeting and advice long before projects get officially under way. We may not be making the decisions, but we're "in the room."
    Obviously, issues with your trade and others that involved with condo constructions should be consulted, but i was refering to issues when they decide to built is entirely internal.

  91. #91
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Westmount
    Posts
    3,292

    Default

    From IanO on SSP:

    Hearing that Regency is looking at wanting to do a 36 and 40 storey on the former CWB/Macs site.
    Followup by user rapid_business:

    Regency towers. Saw some renderings this morning. Menh... not great, but not terrible. Needs refinement for sure.

  92. #92
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    46,996

    Default

    I stand corrected, 40 and 33.

    Towers look a bit dated, but not terrible... podium needs a lot of work.
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  93. #93
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Edmonton area.
    Posts
    7,108

    Default

    I remember the Pearl being a bit meh at first rendering then it was fine tuned pretty well, hope for the same here. It is rentals so maybe can't be quite as awesome. Will you be able to post it soon?

  94. #94
    Plug C2E into my veins!!!
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta, Westwood
    Posts
    16,327

    Default

    ^The Pearl was hideous at first.

  95. #95

    Default

    I think this puts us at a lucky 13 towers either built, being built, or on the drawing boards which could not have been contemplated with the Muni open:

    1. Pearl (topped out)
    2. Stantec (UC)
    3. Delta (UC)
    4. Corners One (whatever we call its status)
    5. Corners Two (after One)
    6. Greyhound (design)
    7. Massey
    8. Harris
    9. Ferguson
    10. Jasper House
    11. North
    12. Mac's Milk Tower
    13. CWB drive-thru Tower


    Even if it's lower, that's still a pretty quick vector.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

  96. #96
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Edmonton area.
    Posts
    7,108

    Default

    Ha Ha, I like you're names.

  97. #97
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    7,587

    Default

    I heard that these aren't rentals, but will be condo. But then again that could change.

    The towers aren't too bad, but nothing great. Podium needs some improvement.

  98. #98

    Default

    Where are these renders?

  99. #99
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    7,587

    Default

    ^Not ready for release to the C2E masses...yet.

  100. #100
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    2,533

    Default

    Thought it was an out of town firm doing the architecture on this one?

    Would like to see a step up here

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •