Thread: 104 Street pocket park - opens Dec 18/15

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default 104 Street pocket park - opens Dec 18/15

Just received our invite to the opening/unveiling of the remodelled pocket park on 104 Street south of the Icon towers.

Granted much will be covered in snow, but from what I have seen it is a nice improvement of what was there.

*we were able to find someone to take away the driftwood and save it for decorative purposes on an acreage.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

There will be a short opening ceremony for the new park this Thursday, December 18 at 2pm. Everyone is welcome.
    www.decl.org

104st newly renovated pocket park!

(https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B4nfzhXCUAAjQmB.jpg:large)
    @decl.org
    www.decl.org

I like the fact that the park was re-done. Wood chips, sod, and allan block seem an interesting choice for what is a very urban park.

Would have liked to see the use of more levels to add seating choices and the creation of varying spaces.

Did the old stump become those wood chips? A shame if so.

^nope, I found someone to remove it and save it. It went to the farm.
    www.decl.org

www.decl.org

We know it's your photo. Since my grandma passed away in January, you're now the last person on earth who burns the time & date into the front of their picture
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Quote Originally Posted by micmac View Post
    I like the fact that the park was re-done. Wood chips, sod, and allan block seem an interesting choice for what is a very urban park.

Would have liked to see the use of more levels to add seating choices and the creation of varying spaces.

Did the old stump become those wood chips? A shame if so.
    Certainly not what I would have expected for an urban pocket park. In most cities they're a bit more usable. Cool lighting, great stonework, shrubs, flowers in summer, a couple benches and a pedestrian pathway (yay, we got that one right) of some kind would be what I was expecting based on my experience in other cities where these parks are common. Yay for being unique? Meh. It's okay but hopefully not a theme used in future pocket parks downtown.

Also those blocks used around the trees are a terrible choice. Within a few years they'll be crooked and lopsided. I suppose the good thing is if you're willing to pay someone to do the work, you can always reuse your materials and take it apart like Lego before reassembling them back in their correct place.

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    We know it's your photo. Since my grandma passed away in January, you're now the last person on earth who burns the time & date into the front of their picture
    I need that for work
    www.decl.org

Needs some permanent bench style seating like the ones found on 104st...
    www.decl.org

What's the deal with the socks hanging on the line?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

They were asking for people to bring socks and mitts for donation.
    www.decl.org

C2E Continued Contributor

Good work folks, thanks for the effort. Couple things: That blank wall to the west is screaming for a game of handball and let's all try to stay on top of keeping things tidy. The park next to the Free Press Bistro, where the kids and I love to mess around, can get really grubby.

I'm looking forward to what kind of programming is done there in the future. It's like a mini 104 Street plaza.

Needs seating stat.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by ajs View Post
    Good work folks, thanks for the effort. Couple things: That blank wall to the west is screaming for a game of handball and let's all try to stay on top of keeping things tidy. The park next to the Free Press Bistro, where the kids and I love to mess around, can get really grubby.
    The Icon parkade wall to the north should get a mural or art piece west of the current one to prevent graffiti.

Given that it is newly redone, my guess is that a lot more attention will be given to it should it become dirty.
    www.decl.org

Santa helps welcome redeveloped park to Edmonton’s 4th street promenade area

BY ANDREW MCCUTCHEON, EDMONTON JOURNAL

EDMONTON - Holiday cheer spread to the 104th street promenade on Thursday as residents, business owners and Santa Claus himself celebrated the opening of a new downtown park.

An empty lot on 104th street had gone undeveloped after being donated to the city more than 30 years ago. In that time, the area only grew more decrepit, unpleasant, and unused.

“The whole area had deteriorated,” said Micheal Phair, chair of Edmonton On An Edge, a group dedicated to the revitalization of public spaces.

“It was a swamp if it was rainy, and full of ice in the wintertime. Just an unused space that was a little bit scary, particularly at night.”

Phair was the forerunner of the city-funded project to redevelop and redesign the 104th street lot, adding stonework, electricity and several large trees to the area. Simple chairs and tables are the next planned addition to the park, and Phair hopes the park will become an oasis in downtown.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...083/story.html
    www.decl.org

www.decl.org

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Top_Dawg can't help but wonder if they are gonna leave the portable shitters that have been sitting at the back of this so-called park for the last two years.

Looks so hokey.

Especially when everybody totally ignores them and just hangs it wherever.

Not so temporary... nice to have for some users, but disgusting and tacky as hell. At least put them on Jasper and enclose them with beautiful lattice... not.
    www.decl.org

Official Opening and Naming of the 104th Street "Pocket Park"

"Join us the for official opening and naming of the Pocket Park on 104 Street. The name is still a secret but will be revealed at 11:30am on Thursday, May 26. You are invited to the opening.

One of the officials in attendance, along with Mayor Don Ivenson and current Ward 6 Councillor Scott McKeen, will be former Ward 6 Councilor, Michael Phair.

Michael Phair was the much-beloved City Councillor for Downtown Edmonton for 15 years (1992 – 2007). He was the first openly gay elected politician in the Alberta, as well as one of the earliest openly gay elected officials anywhere in Canada.

Following his retirement from elected politics, Michael has continued to be active in the pride, arts, and academic communities. This year Michael was named chairman of the University of Alberta board of governors.

Following the formalities there will be a Picnic In the Park with FREE picnic treats. Entertainment will be provided by drag queens and Cariwest dancers and drummers.

Join us for FREE Fat Franks hot dogs, hummus from EGS, Sandwich and Sons kettle chips, popcorn from Canada’s Original Kettle Korn, cookies and banana loaf from Care-It Deli, ice cream from Pinocchio Ice Cream and beverages courtesy of Shoppers Drug Mart on Jasper. Look for the big ReMax tent on Thursday.

104 Street is the Urban Village in the heart of downtown. #on4th #104thPromenade"

https://www.facebook.com/events/198281753898906/
    www.decl.org

I'd rather C2E than work!

Not to discount anything else... but free fat franks!

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by DanC View Post
    Not to discount anything else... but free fat franks!
    Will I be seeing any of you at the Sausage Festival???

C2E Hard Core Contributor

^Only if they're free.

Michael Phair Park
    I knew it! Should have placed bets.

https://www.mailoutinteractive.com/I...=804478&p=451a
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

A touching ceremony to officially open Michael Phair Park.

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x...pslxghcgih.jpg
    www.decl.org

Shocker! Great to see tho and great work everyone
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

Downtown Edmonton pocket park named after former city councillor Michael Phair

ELISE STOLTE

http://wpmedia.edmontonjournal.com/

Edmonton recognized the work of its first openly-gay politician and a hard-working community advocate Thursday by naming a new park on 104 Street Michael Phair Park.

“I’m very honoured, very pleased,” said Phair, who served on council from 1992 to 2007 and was instrumental in making the popular downtown 104 Street what it is today.

“It’s very surreal. Most people are dead before this happens,” added Phair, who also has a public school named after him in west Edmonton’s Webber Greens. “It is quite amazing for me today,” he said. “Things like this should be done before people die more often so they have the opportunity to enjoy it a bit.”

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...-michael-phair
    www.decl.org

www.decl.org

C2E Posting Power

Michael Phair Park. Good for him. Always seemed like a real nice person. Just while passing him when I seen him downtown I used to ask him how he was and he always seemed up beat. Don't know the guy, just used to say "Hi Michael, how are you today". Said that once to a couple of councilors and they looked like you had just told them to F off. Which if I see them again I may proceed to do.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

Michael Phair is a great guy and has done great things for Edmonton over the decades. He is friendly with pretty much everyone and always has a story to tell. It's great to recognize someone who has been so dedicated to making Edmonton what it is today.

C2E Posting Power

I'd never heard of this guy before as I'm only about 14 months into being a CoE resident - but you could definitely tell that this man is a kind and genuine soul. It's motivating knowing you can succeed in politics and be that kind of person.

It's a testament to how awesome Michael Phair is that we can name something for an old white dude in the 21st century & everyone goes "Yeah, that works. Good on him!"

Best representation I've ever had on City Council.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Michael Phair is a great man who played a major role in establishing care for patients with HIV in Edmonton in the early 80s. He has been a part of groups doing amazing things for LGBT rights and support for those going through court challenges etc. I have great admiration for the man for his human rights work, not to mention what he managed to be a part of while on city council. Michael Phair deserves the recognition and thanks from all of us.