Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Roxy Theatre | Rebuild after Fire

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by AUsenik View Post
    Awesome.

That will be another joint of energy to that 124/107th Intersection.
    Yep.

Adding 124 to my urban walk itinerary for this summer.
    ... gobsmacked

Why was there a 2 million grant for this, and shouldn't insurance covered the rebuilt?
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Their insurance policy did not cover the full cost of the rebuild. Also, this is going to be a bigger space than the original Roxy.
    “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

What TN had was an old movie theatre converted to stage. Had no wings (to speak of) or green room / dressing rooms.

That's what insurance covers - likely costs $2 million above that to get a real live theatre building. Looking forward to some renders.
    ... gobsmacked

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    Why was there a 2 million grant for this, and shouldn't insurance covered the rebuilt?
    Because it's going to be bigger and better.

The new Roxy building will be much bigger than the old space and will house three venues — a 200-seat theatre, an 80-seat "black box" theatre and a rehearsal hall.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...work-1.4631700

Thank you guys! I didn't even know it had a fire until seeing the news yesterday lol.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

Definitely looking forward to having the neighbourhood theatre back. Any word on a completion date?

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Construction is expected to start in the spring of 2019, with the aim for completion by 2020.

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca.../roxy-rebuilds

Still two years out. Ah, well, still good know it's on the way.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

That's going to be a busy intersection for construction over the next 2 years. Would love to see an exterior facelift to the Washoku/Northern Chicken building.

That's going to be a busy intersection for construction over the next 2 years. Would love to see an exterior facelift to the Washoku/Northern Chicken building.
    From what I read this morning TN still needs the feds and city to match the provincial contribution and then raise $1.5 m from donations - so might be awhile yet for construction to start.
    ... gobsmacked

What else is happening there?

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
    From what I read this morning TN still needs the feds and city to match the provincial contribution and then raise $1.5 m from donations - so might be awhile yet for construction to start.
    So they were $7.5m under insured? Must say I am not sure this is a good use for $6m of tax-payer's money.
    Edmonton, Capital of Alberta

Not under-insured (necessarily) for what they had - just for what they want now.
    ... gobsmacked

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
    So they were $7.5m under insured? Must say I am not sure this is a good use for $6m of tax-payer's money.
    I'd rather finance 100 Roxy Theatres than an arena for a professional sports team to play in.

Both are good for the economy and benefit the City. In both cases there are tax benefits to the City as they support the neighbourhoods and surrounding businesses. Also $6 million is very little as these things go.

I wish there was parking, its easy for the walking crowd..

C2E Long Term Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    You mean all of that metered parking or Impart lots within a couple of blocks?
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Having to pay for parking puts constraints on the downtown/surrounding area economy. I used to have my friends come downtown all the time at least twice a week for wing nights, but when they changed the bylaws to a two hour limitation, they stopped coming after their first tickets for staying overnight and not drinking and driving.

We just goto the North Side now, and I think It’a stupid that a community would stifle people from coming with something that generates such a marginal revenue stream.

That's unfortunate, but similar to most every other major city, parking has a change and it is often quite minimal. There are usually other options to get there and or places you probably can find to park for free or near free.
    www.decl.org

^^IF parking is wide open overnight like it is in your end of downtown then allowing extended overnight parking would be the right policy. In busier areas where there would be over-use if it were free overnight then overnight charges are reasonable.

This location has 2hr free parking right in front of it, with a rush-hour exception (looking at signs on streetview. I could be wrong). It probably wouldn't hurt to expand the loading zone for those who can't walk to a parking spot or make a few street spots handicap stalls but otherwise people will just walk a block or two. It will work just fine. You can walk farther in worse walking conditions from the abundant parking at Walmart or the Mall.
    There can only be one.

What the hell does parking have to do with the Roxy rebuild? Because one of C2E's lesser lights randomly complains about it?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    What the hell does parking have to do with the Roxy rebuild? Because one of C2E's lesser lights randomly complains about it?

Because if you are coming by car ya need parking! duh..

Quote Originally Posted by Stevey_G View Post
    Having to pay for parking puts constraints on the downtown/surrounding area economy. I used to have my friends come downtown all the time at least twice a week for wing nights, but when they changed the bylaws to a two hour limitation, they stopped coming after their first tickets for staying overnight and not drinking and driving.

We just goto the North Side now, and I think It’a stupid that a community would stifle people from coming with something that generates such a marginal revenue stream.
    Not paying for parking creates even more negative constraints issues on a community.

A question on both parking and The Roxy... this isn't required to have parking... is it? I mean, I'd hate all that government money going towards excavation and a parkade.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

How did The Roxy survive at all for the decades it's been in that exact same spot with the same amount of parking?
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    How did The Roxy survive at all for the decades it's been in that exact same spot with the same amount of parking?
    Parking was not restricted to two hours when we went.

Pretty sure the street parking on 124th in that area is 2h Mon-Sat 0900-1530. If that is the case then it's fine for the theatre. I'll check when I go by tonight.

Edit: Found a sign on street view I could read a couple blocks away.
    Last edited by Paul Turnbull; 26-04-2018 at 02:19 PM. Reason: correction

PARKING ON 124... SECRETS REVEALED!

http://www.124street.ca/parking/

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
    Pretty sure the street parking on 124th in that area is 2h Mon-Sat 0900-1530. If that is the case then it's fine for the theatre. I'll check when I go by tonight.

We like to grab something to eat, the Greek restaurant I loved has gone, so that could work...if not, I'll stay in SA.

Parking for free is first to go..

There's Koutouki across the street from the Roxy site and Cosmos re-opened at it's own location although we haven't been there yet. Our regulars Daravara and Northern Chicken for casual and Solstice for more upscale. That said there are several other good places within a few blocks. Canteen is particularly good.

There's Koutouki across the street from the Roxy site and Cosmos re-opened at it's own location although we haven't been there yet. Our regulars Daravara and Northern Chicken for casual and Solstice for more upscale. That said there are several other good places within a few blocks. Canteen is particularly good.
    Cosmos reopened..? I'll have to google that, the greek restaurant here is good, but I always loved Cosmos..thanks Paul

We like to grab something to eat, the Greek restaurant I loved has gone, so that could work...if not, I'll stay in SA.

Please do stay in St. Albert.

Quote Originally Posted by Dialog View Post

Please do stay in St. Albert.

EFF off ..pool boy.

Cosmos reopened..? I'll have to google that, the greek restaurant here is good, but I always loved Cosmos..thanks Paul
    They are in the Smokehouse BBQ Space now.

Quote Originally Posted by illin View Post
    They are in the Smokehouse BBQ Space now.
    Thankyou

Fantastic news for theatre, the arts, and 124st.
    ---

Today, @R_Boissonnault alongside @CdnHeritage announced a contribution of $2.5 million towards construction of a new Roxy Theatre

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dw-K7C1VAAAfcKz.jpg
    www.decl.org

Was that the missing piece?
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

I like the design!
    www.decl.org

To match the 2.5mil from the province mentioned at http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/showt...l=1#post883760

Construction starts this spring! Oh joy!
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

It's about time!
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Yay. This is amazing news. So glad it’s finally happening. Bringing the theatre action back to the neighbourhood will be nice to see and welcome by local businesses I’m sure.

Looks great except for one thing - I hope they do better than the large yellow "Roxy" signage.

What are the odds they can do a full wall in glass to preserve the amazing mural at this site?

I think this will do wonders for 124 Street. Restaurants in the area could use the boost.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by GizmoForMayor View Post
    I think this will do wonders for 124 Street. Restaurants in the area could use the boost.
    Last time I checked with folks in the area, that theatre would add 30% more people to most places in the immediate area pre/post show... so, yeah, just a wee bit of economic impact.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bob View Post
    Looks great except for one thing - I hope they do better than the large yellow "Roxy" signage.
    The yellow Roxy sign is iconic and I'm glad to see them keeping it in modified form.

Did this building have insurance? I don't know if this question was ever asked.

C2E SME

Yes, I think it was mentioned they had insurance, but their coverage wasn't enough to rebuild to modern requirements/codes etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Yes, I think it was mentioned they had insurance, but their coverage wasn't enough to rebuild to modern requirements/codes etc.
    Oh, I see. Thankyou.

C2E SME

It would appear they're also adding to what they have: https://edmontonsun.com/news/local-n...1-ec7479fc678e

The new theatre will have a 200-seat mainstage, an 80-seat studio theatre, a gallery in the lobby and a large rehearsal hall which will overlook the street. It will be fully accessible for persons with disabilities and is expected to be completed in the fall of 2020.

“The old one was an old converted 1938 cinema which had its own beauty and charm itself,” said Moss. “It’s going to be vastly different, not just because it’s not one venue, it’s as I said — we never had a proper entertainment factory before, we never had a shop, we never had a rehearsal hall.”

Quote Originally Posted by GizmoForMayor View Post
    Last time I checked with folks in the area, that theatre would add 30% more people to most places in the immediate area pre/post show... so, yeah, just a wee bit of economic impact.
    That doesn't surprise me at all. Would be nice to have a few more 'evening entertainment' options in the area to attract people.

This theatre is like a snowflake: they’re both very pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevey_G View Post
    This theatre is like a snowflake: they’re both very pretty.
    And don't react well to fire.

C2E SME

Another theater back to the city will be a great addition to the entire community.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12