Thread: DEAD VINYL SOCIETY presents BRING OUT YOUR DEAD! January 25

Default DEAD VINYL SOCIETY presents BRING OUT YOUR DEAD! January 25

Dead Vinyl Society’s Bring Out Your Dead record swap and sale social is back for our first event of 2015.

Sunday, January 25 at the Black Dog Freehouse on Whyte Avenue (10425 82 Ave.).

Buy, sell or trade or records with us. Look for Dead Vinyl Society on Facebook and register for the event.

This is a great environment to come and hang out, have a beer, enjoy old and new music, meet new people, share digging war stories and celebrate vinyl collecting culture.

Why are we doing this?

Dead Vinyl Society encourages vinyl collecting in Edmonton by providing an inclusive space for record diggers of all walks of life and musical interests.

Whether you’re looking to swap classic gems, fill gaps in your collection or start building one, Bring Out Your Dead offers something for everyone. Music is limitless and this event celebrates diversity.

All genres are welcome and can include but are not limited to:

• classic rock
    • punk
    • new wave
    • metal
    • psych
    • folk
    • jazz
    • blues
    • house
    • techno
    • breaks
    • drum and bass
    • hip hop
    • R&B
    • soul
    • funk
    • disco
    • reggae
    • experimental
    • classical
    • etc.

We encourage you to bring portable record players if you have them. Listening station capacity will be limited.

If you’re interested in bringing large lots of records (IE many crates or bins), please contact DVS or the Black Dog Freehouse to make arrangements.

Get digging and see you there!
    Last edited by heybudday; 13-01-2015 at 09:27 AM.

Brewster Kahle's Blog

← Upgraded Secure Communications Applications I am Now UsingCollector or Digital Librarian? →
    The Great 78 Project
    Posted on June 9, 2017 by Brewster Kahle

Excerpt:
    Announced a month ago with 15,000 digitized “sides” of 78 RPM records, I am trying to understand it and to understand myself through it. B George of the Archive of Contemporary music is also the Internet Archive’s music curator but he does not know as much about 78s because he specializes in LPs — mostly from the 1980s on. So we have donated collections and he is going through them and picking large sections to be digitized. The slant on our contribution of recordings to this project really comes from the collections that have come in.

Barrie Thorpe collected and donated to the Batavia Public Library in Illinois decades go, we have that collection of maybe 40,000 records. “Tercat” is from Rhode Island. A collection of polka, others…

I want to know what the early 20th century sounded like. Midwest, different countries, different social classes, different immigrant communities and their loves and fears. I am not looking for the great record, the unfound gem, I don’t think. At this point I am looking for ‘discovery’, for inspiration, for leads I can follow up on, maybe I am looking for a rationale for spending time and money digitizing this stuff.

But what is this? How about a “modern discography”? A reference collection that is more than a listing in a book of the releases of a particular label — more than one that has pictures of the labels. This one has the digitized sound recordings.

This “reference collection” moniker works because we do not really care if we have the physical disc (though that is nice because we can go back to it to re-record or study it, or at least know it is safe). What we want is it to be findable with a click.

"For instance, I am reading a book called, “Do Not Sell at Any Price: The Wild, Obsessive Hunt for the World’s Rarest 78rpm Records” by Amanda Petrusich. In it, she talks of many records, performers, labels, collectors, re-issues. I want to click on the paper page and hear it. I want citations to turn into blue links so I can more deeply understand what she is talking about. Is this weird? I don’t think so. Footnotes were always supposed to be hyperlinks, we just did not have the tech with paper. But now we have ebooks — let’s bring the citations to life. To do this we need a reference collection, ta-da.

But there is something more for me personally — I get a thrill as the materials come online. Each disk is a revelation. It feels like when I was in college and I would buy a used record for $3 and bring it home and play it — “retail therapy.” Ownership and discovery and possession. We just made a Twitter feed out of the newly available digitized 78s… we will see if anyone else likes it. ..."

http://brewster.kahle.org/

http://brewster.kahle.org/2017/06/09...at-78-project/

Bolding was mine
    Last edited by KC; 15-09-2017 at 06:26 PM.

Does he know of the Folkways Records collection at the UofA?
    http://www.music.museums.ualberta.ca...ollection.aspx

Also... The US Library of Congress "National Jukebox"
    http://www.loc.gov/jukebox/
    Last edited by Spudly; 15-09-2017 at 06:57 PM.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...