Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bonnie Doon Shopping Centre | Discussion

Default Bonnie Doon Shopping Centre | Discussion

I did a search, and there was no Bonnie Doon discussion thread, so I thought I'd create one.

With the closure of Target, is there any other other anchor tenant that would want to move into the area? Can Bonnie Doon survive with only Safeway and Sears as anchor tenants? Can it survive with Safeway alone if Sears closes, too? And if the mall closes completely, will that affect the location of the future LRT stop?

C2E Long Term Contributor

Enter the Wal
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

^
    Probably, though the relatively close proximity of Capilano Wal-Mart may make them hesitate.

Another problem may be if Safeway has a no other produce/deli retailer caveat at Bonnie Doon, like at Westmount. Westmount is probably the least busy of the Walmarts, partially due to the size and no produce/deli being available, and that might give Walmart pause as to whether they want to open up another similar store.

If there is no caveat, a small Superstore variant might work there. Superstore currently has no coverage in that sector of the city.
    Last edited by Ustauk; 15-01-2015 at 10:50 AM.

Target closing is a problem for the Dooner but not a death knell. Past conversations I've had with mall management types indicate they've been counting on Sears closing for a couple/few years now.

I can foresee a time when BD is primarily a "service mall": Medical clinics, seniors resource centre etc. With such a vast parking lagoon and an LRT station in the offing it's not beyond imagining that someone would invest to build seniors housing or a care facility of some description on the mall land.

Good thread.

^
    Thanks for the info. Sounds like they're interested in the Meadowlark model, which seems to have worked well there. Meadowlark has had most of its retailers renovate to create exterior entrances; I could see this happening at Bonnie Doon, too.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

I rarely see anyone in the Sears. The safeway is a busy one. A food store will always be there.

If I were them, I'd tear down sears, turn the Target into another tenant (home depot, rona?), cut the mall off right there, and use the Sears portion and that area of the mall parking lot to develop a large residential complex. 2 or 3 towers ranging in height from 9-18 stories. Some townhouses. It's really an ideal location. LRT right there, mall with most services, close to downtown and river valley, library and rec center across the street.
    The area really needs a home improvement store, there's really nothing in the vicinity.
    I don't think Walmart would enter. The Capilano one is not far at all and neither the sears or Target stores are big enough.
    Last edited by nobleea; 15-01-2015 at 11:47 AM.

Good thread, given that one of our own (Edmcowboy) has a shop there.

I went this mall one evening before Christmas and it was mostly dead.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

Even without the LRT, they still have reasonable transit access to downtown and the university. I like shopping there because I can drag my booty to the Route 4 stop on Whyte and then transfer to LRT at Health Sciences.

Eve

Top_Dawg's south side slam pad is within walking distance ( about 10 minutes ) so he goes to the mall quite a bit.

It's a lot busier than most posters seem to think.

Safeway is what Top_Dawg uses the most, but he also hits the food court, Bonnie's Lounge, and Tony Roma's Lounge. Shopper's too sometimes.

And Top_Dawg doesn't mean to quibble but nobleea alludes to a rec center across the street. It's not a rec center.

Top_Dawg wishes it was.

It's just a indoor pool.

^
    Maybe I thought it wasn't too busy because I was stopping at the Target

Looking back, I have seen the mall busy at times, especially on the weekend. Hopefully EdmCowboy can give us further feedback as to the overall traffic in the mall, as he's there all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post
    Top_Dawg's south side slam pad is within walking distance ( about 10 minutes ) so he goes to the mall quite a bit.

Safeway is what Top_Dawg uses the most, but he also hits the food court, Bonnie's Lounge, and Tony Roma's Lounge. Shopper's too sometimes.

And Top_Dawg doesn't mean to quibble but nobleea alludes to a rec center across the street. It's not a rec center.

Top_Dawg wishes it was.

It's just a indoor pool.
    I did not know that Shopper's had a Lounge. Gotta check it out.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Top_Dawg wishes it was.
    It's just a indoor pool.
    Correct, for now it's just an indoor pool. They are planning on building two indoor arenas soon. I'm not sure what might go with that.

Top_Dawg wishes it was.

It's just a indoor pool.
    Bonnie's Lounge is still there? LOL I used to go there for liquid lunches when I went to Doon in 1991 & 1992. Good times...

Quote Originally Posted by Kitlope View Post

Bonnie's Lounge is still there? LOL I used to go there for liquid lunches when I went to Doon in 1991 & 1992. Good times...
    Ask to be seated in the Boom-Boom Room...
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Oh yeah.

Nothing's changed.

Same bar scrags.

With same attitude.

And aptitude.

Same smelly carpet.

Same ol' burnouts drinking there that Top_Dawg used to see in the Rex Hotel back in the 80s.

And the toilet's still plugged.

Bonnie Doon's little slice of nirvana.

Safeway or the grocer where Sears used to be decades ago, has a caveat and it stopped a Sobeys opening up at the traffic circle at Hollyrood. Bonnie Soon is moderately low end, and a service for seniors and one of the only close grocers in a vast area... It's not going anywhere, but as I said in the Valley Line thread... It will be a decade before something moderately positive happens. Westmount and Meadowlark are good examples though. The Mall is on a goldmine with coming LRT and is not able at this time to compete with the Southgates and Kingways of Edmonton. TD bank has to move for LRT, and even 1 resto would be a boon to the area. The Mall also falls under the French Quarter BRZ, so community interest and investment could be interesting. Not to mention our new bylaws on mature neighborhood infill.

The "rec center" will be two hockey rinks, parking, a sports field. New Hollyrood condos could also mean big business.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

^
    Thanks GenWhy. I guess the caveat rules out a Superstore variant, since their focus is on food. It'll be interesting to see if Walmart would want another Westmount-type store with no produce or deli. I suppose a Canadian Tire could open up one of their Express stores there, London Drugs could open up a giant store (thought that might be too big a footprint), or as mentioned upthread, Home Depot or Rona could come in.

The position of the mall becomes interesting... Capilano area stores are kind of close to Downtown, but no LRT and divided by 50th street, Calgary Trail stores are a further distance but only auto acessible and spaced out... Bonnie Soon catches everything north of Argyll to the river, west of 75 st and east of 104 st - for then Southgate is a little easier for most. Lots of apartments yet non-rented homes. It will take investment by a big player to move in but it could really boost the area and be good for business. The Sears and Target were too similar, and The Walmart in was only 15 min by bus and roughly 7 min drive away from Bonnie Doon. Hell, if a BP's opened up it would be a cause for festive celebration in the 'hood.

I'd rather C2E than work!

How about a Future Shop, or a Best Buy? Hey, how about one of the new small Ikea stores? Anyone know how large the Target space is?
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

^
    I could potentially see Ikea. Future Shop/Best Buy are having some financial difficulties, so I doubt they'd expand at this point, especially with the downturn in the economy.

C2E Posting Power

I think it will be a hit but not a death nail for that place. It's moderately busy, but I haven't noticed it increase dramatically since Target opened compared to Zellers. They may need to think "outside the box" a bit for a tenant for that space, unless Zellers comes up from the ashes by HBC.

Could it also be that Sears could be well divided? Main or second floor as many small shops, and a major retailer on the other? Target is more awkward, though could be divided as well for smaller floor plates if the economy tanks

Target was never busy whenever I was there, but I was usually there during the day on a weekday. Compared to the mall, I'd say Target was a lot slower.

Okay... my memory may be wrong here, but wasn't Safeway at the North end of the mall where Sears is now, and Sears was where Target is now? This would be about 25 years ago.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

What would be perfect at Bonnie Doon Mall is having a scaled-down Canadian Tire store. Move to the soon-to-be vacated Target space and open a Crappy Tire without the auto service bays.

Yes, I know there is a Canadian Tire near Capilano Mall. But it is a bit of a pain to access from the bus stop for seniors and strollers. Having a CT at Bonnie Doon will give residents of Whyte ave., central downtown, S.E. communities an easy bus trip to a hardware store.

Of course if that happens it would be the nail in the coffin for the Bonnie Doon Sears Outlet.

^^Gord you are correct. And Sears is already dead

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    Okay... my memory may be wrong here, but wasn't Safeway at the North end of the mall where Sears is now, and Sears was where Target is now? This would be about 25 years ago.
    That is correct until it was renovated in the mid-1990s to the configuration you see today.

In the 1980s, Safeway was at the north end (near the traffic circle) and Super Value was in the south end (where Safeway is right now).

I live by the mall all my life.

Target was never busy whenever I was there, but I was usually there during the day on a weekday. Compared to the mall, I'd say Target was a lot slower.

Yup, Safeway used to be where Sears is now.

It was becoming a very tired old store - in fact the whole mall was before the renovation.

Top_Dawg is only going by memory but his guess is the mall revamp was around 1988.

Holy fock.

That's a long time ago.

That Sears is terrible. We went there a few weeks ago to look at a new washer/ dryer. What a hodge-podge disorganized mess

Crappy Tire would be okay. But I bet they'd want service bays in there.. which Morguard could likely accomodate
    Parkdale

Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post
    What would be perfect at Bonnie Doon Mall is having a scaled-down Canadian Tire store. Move to the soon-to-be vacated Target space and open a Crappy Tire without the auto service bays.
    Yes, that's an option too. I don't know if CT is going that way though, they seem to be going bigger.
    The Kaltire location in bonnie doon seems to be doing well, it's always busy, but not so much that you can't get fast turnaround. I've been there a few times.

C2E SME

Well I honestly feel that Wal-Mart will want to swoop in and open a location here in Bonnie Doon. It is far enough away from Capilano and the Calgary Trail locations.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
    Well I honestly feel that Wal-Mart will want to swoop in and open a location here in Bonnie Doon. It is far enough away from Capilano and the Calgary Trail locations.
    I'd agree; the question is whether they want to open up another shop without a produce or deli section, like Westmount. Even without those two sections, there'd likely be enough traffic from the neighbourhood to justify them moving in; it'd probably do better then the Westmount one. And, other then Kingsway should Walmart choose to move in there, it'd be the only Walmart next to a future LRT station.

In the interim, EdmCowboy, do you think there's enough traffic in Bonnie Doon for it to survive with Safeway as the only anchor for a while? From the other posts on this thread and elsewhere, I'd say Target and Sears weren't contributing much to the mall, anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post
    In the interim, EdmCowboy, do you think there's enough traffic in Bonnie Doon for it to survive with Safeway as the only anchor for a while? From the other posts on this thread and elsewhere, I'd say Target and Sears weren't contributing much to the mall, anyways.
    When Zellers was alive, they actually did quite well in Bonnie Doon. If Walmart moves in they will be a major success in that mall, even without the grocery component. A Bonnie Doon Walmart will be more busy than the Capilano location.

Last time I was in Capilano Mall Wallmart it looked trashed. It just seems so old and dirty. It felt more like a warehouse than a store. In fact, a lot of Walmarts just don't seemed to be kept that well. I don't know if it's trouble retaining staff or the staff just don't care but most of them are beginning to look like Liquidation World.
    At least if some Walmarts take over Target stores the places will be clean (for a while anyway. I do think a Walmart would do well in Bonnie Doon. It's on a major artery has lots of parking and within walking distance for a lot of people.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

How about a Costco in there or is it not big enough.

Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

^^ Last time I was in Capilano Mall the entire mall felt like a pit of despair.

Last Walmart I went to was in Northgate and it was cluttered but I didn't get depressed while there. It seemed cheerful enough. And they had exactly what I wanted.

Eve

Yes, I know there is a Canadian Tire near Capilano Mall. But it is a bit of a pain to access from the bus stop for seniors and strollers. Having a CT at Bonnie Doon will give residents of Whyte ave., central downtown, S.E. communities an easy bus trip to a hardware store.

Of course if that happens it would be the nail in the coffin for the Bonnie Doon Sears Outlet.
    I was thinking that a Home Depot or Lowe's could open in the Target space. We have a dearth of hardware stores near the central core, the closest ones being the HDs on Calgary Trail north of 63 Ave and at Westmount.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E SME

I do think that the mall can do fine without Target or Sears here, even though every business does help. There is still a nice mix of smaller businesses in the mall that attracts people to Bonnie Doon.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post

I was thinking that a Home Depot or Lowe's could open in the Target space. We have a dearth of hardware stores near the central core, the closest ones being the HDs on Calgary Trail north of 63 Ave and at Westmount.
    Well how about this, Lowes for Target space, Walmart for Sears space.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    Last time I was in Capilano Mall Wallmart it looked trashed. It just seems so old and dirty. It felt more like a warehouse than a store. In fact, a lot of Walmarts just don't seemed to be kept that well. I don't know if it's trouble retaining staff or the staff just don't care but most of them are beginning to look like Liquidation World.
    I think it's more some of the clientele than the staff.

From the other posts on this thread and elsewhere, I'd say Target and Sears weren't contributing much to the mall, anyways.
    In terms of people, no, probably not, though I did go to the mall the other day to pick up some vacuum bags at Sears and ended up spending money in Target and the food court, but you have to think that Sears and Target are both contributing a lot of money in rent to the mall.

I just called the mall and the Target space is about 75,000 sq/f. I think she got excited thinking I was looking to rent it.

C2E Posting Power

If a hardware store went in there, it would probably be something like those "smaller" Ronas.

I still wonder if HBC will pick up some of these leases and shuffle some stores brands around to make room for Lord & Taylor and Saks to move to more premium spots.

Just a purely hypothetical situation, The Bay moves out of City Centre Mall to Bonnie Doon to make that a Saks or Lord & Taylor so they dont "lose" or have to shut down that Bay store. I'm sure that exact scenario won't happen but I'm sure HBC may see this as an opportunity to get their other brands up here.

There are no Home Hardware stores in Edmonton. The Target space in Bonnie Doon would be ideal.

Home owners helping home owners . . . with expert advice.
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

A hardware store would be nice.

What Bonnie Doon needs is more customers within walking distance. The old townhouses north of BDM on the NE corner of the traffic circle have been ripe for demolition. Three 20 story residential towers would be a great fit.

Then the NIMBY's start to whine.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    What Bonnie Doon needs is more customers within walking distance. The old townhouses north of BDM on the NE corner of the traffic circle have been ripe for demolition. Three 20 story residential towers would be a great fit.

I live a few blocks east of that strip and would love to see it redeveloped. I've emailed Westcorp with some samples of what I think would fit there.
    http://www.westcorp.net/development_holyrood.php
    a variety of developments of varying height with townhouses fronting 85st for part of it. It's a large property.

C2E SME

There is a new development going in right next to the cite francophone that will bring new residents to the area.

C2E Posting Power
    Below that old white mountain, just a little southeast of Nome

That is correct until it was renovated in the mid-1990s to the configuration you see today.

In the 1980s, Safeway was at the north end (near the traffic circle) and Super Value was in the south end (where Safeway is right now).

I live by the mall all my life.
    Yes and before the Super Valu I believe it was Loblaws and before that it was Dominion Foods. Can't be a caveat then against two food stores in the mall or perhaps it was changed when Super Valu closed down and Safeway took over their space?

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post

Well if the Strathern Heights development ever gets built....
    Vision - The art of seeing the invisible

Maybe a Zellers coming back to Bonnie Doon? It's opening elsewhere.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/04...n_5076997.html

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    Maybe a Zellers coming back to Bonnie Doon? It's opening elsewhere.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/04...n_5076997.html
    Interesting, although based off of this article this incarnation of Zellers is essentially a HBC owned version of Winners.

^^ 04/02/2014 that story is almost a year old.

Quote Originally Posted by SP59 View Post
    ^^ 04/02/2014 that story is almost a year old.
    Yeah, just logged off then I noticed that.

C2E Posting Power
    Below that old white mountain, just a little southeast of Nome

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    A hardware store would be nice.
    Bring back Macleods LOL. Back in the day they were located approximately where Lenscrafters is today. Haven't been to that part of the mall in a very long time so maybe not sure that Lenscrafters is even still there. Bonnie Doon was a happening place at one time and from what I hear still is fairly busy at certain times. The problem is that there really was no major anchor tenant with Sears always being a smaller version of what was offered elsewhere. It is a shame that this part of town never really got the quality and size of major chains stores that it deserves. Both Capilano and Bonnie Doon never lived up to the likes of Kingsway or Southgate.

omg macleaods we had one of those in the small town i grew up in

how about bringing back SAAN!

Wasn't too long ago that Bonnie Doon mall was a more happening, cleaner, and fancier place than Southgate. Probably mid 90's. Southgate was a dump with lots of empty stores, shootings in the parking lot. I remember it well since we would walk over there regularly from Ainlay.
    So anything is possible. It's not like the neighbourhoods around Southgate all of a sudden got fancier. They're pretty similar.

^^^ ^^

How about Kresge's for that matter ?

Is Army and Navy strong enough fiscally to open another store? I don't think Giant Tiger is big enough to fit in either department store space. Cabela's has a smaller store format available. Petsmart might be able to squeeze into the target space. You might be able to fit a Wine and Beyond in there, though I think the Liquor Depot, owned by the same company, Liquor Stores GP, would have to close due to proximity regulations. You could fit a giant Mark's, like at SEC, but I'm not sure with the economy going down and the proximity of their Capilano store, if they'd want to open. The Sears space might make for a good Sport Chek/ Coast Mountain Sports, though that might be too close to the Edmonton City Centre location. Many options, and I guess we'll see what comes in in the next year or so.

How about Eatons and Woodwards too?

These stores are all gone and are not coming back. Canada is a tough market with only the population of California but spread out in an area larger than the entire USA including Alaska.

Bricks and mortar stores are getting fewer as the internet shopping habits grow stronger. People use stores as showrooms and then buy online. What is the incentive to have a store? HBC does 50% of their sale online.

Building one warehouse distribution center in some distant local is far cheaper than having 20 stores in malls.

EPL should take over the Target space. The Idylwylde branch is cramped. But they do have nice windows.

C2E Posting Power

I'm personally betting the Bonnie Doon target will become a Walmart. I know Capilano is close, but no closer than the South Park and South Edmonton Common Walmarts are to each other. Neighbourhoods like Ritchie, Hazeldean, King Edward Park, and Avonmore are a bit far out for Capilano.

Not that I particularly like Walmart, but I see a Walmart doing very well in Bonnie Doon.

Quote Originally Posted by ajs View Post
    EPL should take over the Target space. The Idylwylde branch is cramped. But they do have nice windows.
    I've never felt the library was cramped. It's one of the smaller ones, and it'd be nice to have a larger, shiny new one like the one they got in Jasper place (a beauty), but can't make that happen in a big box shell.
    We use some of the free programming and noticed that the baby classes sometimes overflow. Good sign for the rejuvination of the area.

^^
    Agreed, it would be logical for them to grab. Perhaps even more attractive the Kingsway for Walmart, given its a similar distance to downtown, and in the center of well-established communities, as Halocore noted, but without a bi-level layout to deal with.

C2E SME

The only unfortunate thing is that if Wal-Mart decides to move into Bonnie Doon it is most likely that the mall access will be closed off. One thing about Wal-Mart is that they do not like to share customers.

^
    There is a precedent for Walmart yielding on the mall entrance point. The Northgate Mall Walmart has a mall entrance. They close it off with steel roll shutters when the mall closes at 9:00 PM. I've been to the Meadowlark Walmart, but I can't remember for the life of me if the mall entrance their entrance is closed. I'm pretty certain the Abbotsfield entrance is closed off. Hopefully Bonnie Doon and/or Kingsway, should they be courted by Walmart, will request the entrances remain open.

Capilano walmart also closed off the mall entrance.

^
    Thanks, forgot about that, since Capilano is no longer a walkthrough mall. Part of the reason for that may be Walmart having a closed entrance

That's just ignorant considering all the seniors that go to Bonnie Doon. My Oma is 82, uses a cane now and has been going to that mall since the Beatles.

Show some class, Wal Mart.

C2E SME

Well I hope I'm right about Wal-Mart coming to Bonnie Doon, and I hope I'm wrong about Wal-Mart closing the doors to the mall.

C2E SME

I was going to suggest that we move this thread to "Business & Economy" considering that there is the Kingsway and Southgate threads also there.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

That whole Bonnie Doon area seems ripe for redevelopment. Think of another Century Park build out.

^but actually gets built... haha - if something like that were to go ahead for bonnie doon, plus if strathern development ever moves forward, that whole area will have quite a radical change.

I was going to suggest that we move this thread to "Business & Economy" considering that there is the Kingsway and Southgate threads also there.
    Sounds good to me. I only stuck it in this section because the Capilano thread was here.

Bonnie Doon will have to change one way or another, Target has already announced they are closing, Sears is highly probable too. That leaves Bonnie Doon with only 1 anchor tenant Safeway. I'd expect with the anchors closing and the upcoming LRT construction you'll see quite a few changes to Bonnie Doon, perhaps a massive renovation.

Quote Originally Posted by sundance View Post
    Bonnie Doon will have to change one way or another, Target has already announced they are closing, Sears is highly probable too. That leaves Bonnie Doon with only 1 anchor tenant Safeway. I'd expect with the anchors closing and the upcoming LRT construction you'll see quite a few changes to Bonnie Doon, perhaps a massive renovation.
    With the LRT slated to come by in a relatively short # of years, here's hoping the owners don't go down the path of a Capilano-style redevelopment. I wouldn't mind seeing just a nice renovation/expansion, but if they are looking for a some sort of full-scale redevelopment, they can aim a lot higher than a big power centre for that location.

Good Life Fitness is considering expanding into some of the soon to be ex-Target spaces. I know there's the pool across the street, but I can't think of another fitness centre in proximity to Bonnie Doon. Would Good Life do well at Bonnie Doon?

Good Life Fitness is considering expanding into some of the soon to be ex-Target spaces. I know there's the pool across the street, but I can't think of another fitness centre in proximity to Bonnie Doon. Would Good Life do well at Bonnie Doon?
    Depends. I don't know if they vary programming but I could see it doing relatively well with some senior specific programming alongside the usual stuff. These would be pretty massive gyms though. Two floors for most of them in Edmonton.

Depends. I don't know if they vary programming but I could see it doing relatively well with some senior specific programming alongside the usual stuff. These would be pretty massive gyms though. Two floors for most of them in Edmonton.
    The reason I posted this in the Bonnie Doon thread (in additon to the main Target closing thread), but not in the Kingsway or West Ed thread, is that the Target at Bonnie Doon is on a single level. I don't know if they'd be interested in converting a bi-level store, though the article indicated they had converted Eaton's stores in the past, so that may be possible. Still, I think Bonnie Doon would work better.

In the GEA, the St. Albert and Sherwood Park Targets are also single level, though I'm not sure if they have fitness facilities already in proximity or not.

Bonnie Doon is a good fit for Good Life, it's close to the downtown which is already dominated by World Health and the YMCA.

There's a Curves upstairs at BD.

^
    Not a serious impediment. Curves is a female-oriented fitness facility. I suspect there's be enough clientèle for a co-ed oriented facility like Good Life for both to survive at Bonnie Doon.

There's a Snap Fitness pretty close along Whyte, but it's really small.

First One is Always Free

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Bonnie Doon is a good fit for Good Life, it's close to the downtown which is already dominated by World Health and the YMCA.
    Fit4Less - GoodLife's cheaper label: That would be amazing at BD.

C2E SME

Would a T and T supermarket work well there given the growing Korean and SE Asian population?
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    Would a T and T supermarket work well there given the growing Korean and SE Asian population?
    I don't think so. The area in and around Bonnie Doon is pretty white.

The area needs a home improvement store. Lowe's would be great.

Home improvement is a huge missing piece in that area.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Maybe a Home Depot a la Westmount for BD? That would work. Sears or Target spaces would be appropriate.

First One is Always Free

Maybe a Home Depot a la Westmount for BD? That would work. Sears or Target spaces would be appropriate.
    That could work - I mean, the Sears space has the auto department: that could be a great place for a pickup area.

Quote Originally Posted by Leafs Fan in Edmonton View Post
    That could work - I mean, the Sears space has the auto department: that could be a great place for a pickup area.
    That's a Kal Tire, not sears. I think that Kal Tire does better than the sears, so it'd be ashame to lose that.

^Didn't Sears get rid of their automotive centres the last time they had financial problems in the 90s circa "the softer side of Sears" campaign?

C2E Posting Power

Yep, which basically gave most of that business along with the Tools and whatnot to Canadian Tire. That was a bad move by Sears.

As for that space, yes that whole SE area is in need of a hardware store and that could be a good sport for someone like HD, Lowes, Rona to setup shop.

Simply reinvented like a Meadowlark or Westmount.

Tear down sears and turn that area and parking lot in to a condo development.

Home reno store in to Target space. Might be a bit big for a No Frills, but that would also be sweet.

Done.

C2E SME

So one store moving into the mall right next to my place is Northern Reflections.

The mall makes me sad.
    It just feels depressing inside and out.

It would be a perfect TOD as long as the bowling alley didn't get touched!

So one store moving into the mall right next to my place is Northern Reflections.
    Top_Dawg noticed that one space in the food court was just recently vacated.

But Top_Dawg can't remember who occupied it.

What was it ?

Bonnie's is a pretty far stumble from the food court...

Yeah, Top_Dawg always uses the mall entrance by Safeway.

Except the odd time when he gets really stinkfaced.

Then he calls a cab right to Bonnie's.

C2E Posting Power

Top_Dawg noticed that one space in the food court was just recently vacated.

But Top_Dawg can't remember who occupied it.

What was it ?
    Was that the old Arby's space? If so it's been vacant for a while.

On this thread and mature neighborhoods and infill/renewal... I'll like to see the mall's response to LRT as opposed to Southgate, which features an awkward entrance a blank wall towards the transit centre and station. There is a lot of wishful thinking to make that section better, but I don't know if we'll see decent changes. I'm just really skeptical maybe.

C2E SME

Well I don't see much happening different for the mall for the reason that the station style will be completely different to what is at Southgate.

There is the one empty space in the food court right now that I know of, although I don't walk down that way too often. That space has been empty for a few months now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast