Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bonnie Doon Shopping Centre | Discussion

First One is Always Free

Quote Originally Posted by nobleea View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Leafs Fan in Edmonton View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    Maybe a Home Depot a la Westmount for BD? That would work. Sears or Target spaces would be appropriate.
    That could work - I mean, the Sears space has the auto department: that could be a great place for a pickup area.
    That's a Kal Tire, not sears. I think that Kal Tire does better than the sears, so it'd be ashame to lose that.
    Thats what I meant.

C2E SME

So supposedly I heard that the Target lease is finally up. Now weather that means that something is going to happen sooner than later who knows but rumour was that their was negotiations with some companies interested in the space. Now that it is available I hope that something is announced.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

C2E Continued Contributor

I hope bonnie doon is redeveloped into tod, with the lrt coming through.

Quote Originally Posted by DanC View Post
    The mall makes me sad.
    It just feels depressing inside and out.

It would be a perfect TOD as long as the bowling alley didn't get touched!
    Bonnie Doon has always been depressing no matter how much lipstick they put on it. If you're a single-level mall at the very least you need a wide concourse to give it some space, like Southgate. Bonnie Doon is a claustrophobic nightmare.

C2E SME

Taken March 12, 2016
    New tenant in the food court almost ready to open

2016-03-12_11-05-07
    by Paul Smolik, on Flickr

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
    Taken March 12, 2016
    New tenant in the food court almost ready to open

2016-03-12_11-05-07
    Geeze, they have been teasing us since last February. About time...almost.

I think I saw the health inspector in there the other day checking things out.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

If they could develop more of 109th street between Jasper Ave and Whyte Ave., then the LRT to Bonny Doon could complete a nice circuit for people downtown to walk-Whyte-west then north on 109th back downtown, shopping and stopping at cafes, etc most of the last northward portion. Basically, LRT to Bonny Doon for coffee then walk/shop westward to 109th, then another coffee/dinner break along 109th, then back downtown on foot.

The old street car creates a nice small triangle too and should be promoted as part of a walk-ride triangle.
    Last edited by KC; 13-03-2016 at 08:58 AM.

There's not many photos of the mall on the Internet.

The way it was - interesting:

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/dar...r/10201946675/

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/dar...r/12514766873/

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/dar...vr/6937340945/

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/dar...vr/9684324174/
    Quote from caption: "
    This was Edmonton's second Simpsons-Sears store after Park Plaza, opening around 1960, Meadowlark was the 3rd that arrived in 1963.
    Sears moved to a new space in Bonnie Doon in the mid 90's and this became a Zellers and it is now a newly renovated and updated Target store."
    Last edited by KC; 13-03-2016 at 09:06 AM.

C2E Posting Power
    Below that old white mountain, just a little southeast of Nome

^Thanks for sharing those photos... brings back lots of memories. The first three show the mall before it was enclosed. That explains why as someone else noted the concourse is so narrow, it was not designed to be an enclosed mall originally and each store had their separate outside entrances as seen in the first photo before the second half of the mall was added and it was enclosed. The second half of the mall was added in late sixties early 70's taking up some of the empty space you see in the parking lot of the first photo up to where the Loblaws is which is roughly where the promotional court Tona Romas and BMO is today. Kresege was roughly where the food court is today and Johnstone Walker was roughly where Ardene is now. Sears came sometime after the first picture as it is not there in the picture yet.
    Last edited by edTel; 13-03-2016 at 10:08 AM.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Is that the same darrellinyvr who used to post here? His insights on the retail business was always appreciated.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by edTel View Post
    ^Thanks for sharing those photos... brings back lots of memories. The first three show the mall before it was enclosed. That explains why as someone else noted the concourse is so narrow, it was not designed to be an enclosed mall originally and each store had their separate outside entrances as seen in the first photo before the second half of the mall was added and it was enclosed. The second half of the mall was added in late sixties early 70's taking up some of the empty space you see in the parking lot of the first photo up to where the Loblaws is which is roughly where the promotional court Tona Romas and BMO is today. Kresege was roughly where the food court is today and Johnstone Walker was roughly where Ardene is now. Sears came sometime after the first picture as it is not there in the picture yet.

A bit like what they did to HUB Mall when they replaced the glass ceiling. Bring on the darkness...

Woody's BBQ was training staff on Wednesday, probably open in a few days.

With Target closing, and Sear's slow walk to bankruptcy, Bonnie Doon has to do something to attract a younger crowd. The Mill Woods LRT construction might give them incentive to do some serious renovations or reconfiguration of the mall. An east extension to the LRT stop might help.
    Last edited by sundance; 21-03-2016 at 09:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by River Valley Green View Post
    Bonnie Doon has always been depressing no matter how much lipstick they put on it. If you're a single-level mall at the very least you need a wide concourse to give it some space, like Southgate. Bonnie Doon is a claustrophobic nightmare.
    Yeah, when Top_Dawg got his south side safe house he started going to Bonnie Doon Mall at least 2-3 times a week.

And he felt really cramped when staggering down the concourse to Bonnie's.

It is narrow.

But now Top_Dawg is used to it.

Eliminating all those kiosks that they have in the middle of the concourse would go a long way towards correcting this.

They all sell nothing but useless crap anyways.

This afternoon I was cycling to the library and noticed a delivery van unloading boxes outside the main entrance of the Target.

I asked a guy receiving the order what is going in this location? He said Stitches. BORING!

Really? Is it going to fill up the entire space? That seems rather large for a Stitches.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by seamusmcduffs View Post
    Really? Is it going to fill up the entire space? That seems rather large for a Stitches.
    There's a poster/sign on the inside of the mall as well. I think it said 'warehouse outlet' for stitches.

Maybe it's only temporary. No Frills or HD/Lowe's would be ideal for that space.

C2E SME

The Stitches location has signed a lease term that is probably going to be at least half a year to a year long. According to all the employee's I talked to there, Stitches will be there for the next foreseeable future.

Curtains for Sears in Bonnie Doon.

Sears in Bonnie Doon Shopping Centre will close by end of January

Last year, Target closed up shop. Now, Bonnie Doon Shopping Centre is saying goodbye to another major tenant: Sears.
    The department store will be gone from the Bonnie Doon location by the end of January.

A company spokesperson said, in the last few years, the site turned into an outlet store that was sent clearance and discount items.

The location let its 70 employees know about the closure in July. Sears said most of those employees were part time. The spokesperson said staff will be considered to fill positions at other Sears locations in Edmonton if they come up.

As for its other locations in the city – Kingsway, West Ed, Southgate – Sears says it’s full speed ahead.
    http://globalnews.ca/news/2982282/se.../?sf37851951=1

Full speed ahead.. to close them all. Considering all the new infill and the LRT... great news.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

C2E Posting Power
    Below that old white mountain, just a little southeast of Nome

Sad to see the mall continue to go downhill. Hopefully the upcoming LRT connection will help attract some quality tenants but what other retailers are going to fill the empty spots of Target and now Sears. No decent mall in that part of town both Bonnie Doon and Capilano are seriously lacking in quality.

I laughed when I saw Global and CTV News reporting that Sears leaving is a big blow to Bonnie Doon Mall.

Ever since that Sears became an "outlet" store in the mall 7 years ago, it was no longer an anchor store. The Dollarama attracts more business than junky Sears. From what I hear from other tenants in the mall, Sears doesn't even operate that outlet store.

A month ago, I had a conversation with a guy who's occupation interacts with Morguard (owners of B.D.). He told me about Sears leaving the mall. He also said Albert's Restaurant will not have their lease renewed. Morguard's plan is to make Bonnie Doon a destination centre with high-end shops and restaurants. They want to create a mini-Southgate, using the future LRT line as a catalyst. The hope is to draw folks from Whyte, University, downtown, Sherwood Park to the newly designed mall.

Basically Morguard wants to do a complete 180 degrees from a seniors/riff-raff Bonnie Doon to a highbrow, classy 'shopping district'.
    Last edited by North Guy66; 04-10-2016 at 06:34 PM.

I heard on tonight's news that Bonnie Doon Mall is considering mixed use development
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Posting Power

I actually think Sears leaving is good news for that mall. It's been a crappy outlet store selling the low end Sears garbage products for a few years now. The location is very good so I think if they re-imagine that mall a bit, it can get back on track.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    I heard on tonight's news that Bonnie Doon Mall is considering mixed use development
    Excellent. The mall's been begging for that for a decade. Mixed use with towers, the LRT right there, some higher end shops, a classy REgency development in Holyrood just north, the Strathearn development, the Edmonton ski club upgrades, and continual infill in the surrounding neighbourhoods. This area is going to be the go-to place in 5-10 years.

C2E SME

Well just so everyone is clear though. Any rumours of mixed use, or high end mall is rumour at best as mall administration and Morguard have not stated any direction that they are going in. Neither any of the tenants of the mall or the business association (which I am currently vice chair) have been given any indicators of Morguards plans for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post
    A month ago, I had a conversation with a guy who's occupation interacts with Morguard (owners of B.D.). He told me about Sears leaving the mall. He also said Albert's Restaurant will not have their lease renewed. Morguard's plan is to make Bonnie Doon a destination centre with high-end shops and restaurants. They want to create a mini-Southgate, using the future LRT line as a catalyst. The hope is to draw folks from Whyte, University, downtown, Sherwood Park to the newly designed mall.

Basically Morguard wants to do a complete 180 degrees from a seniors/riff-raff Bonnie Doon to a highbrow, classy 'shopping district'.

Earlier this year Top_Dawg heard a lot of rumours swirling around regarding Bonnie's Lounge.

After the compliance team shut down Strathearn Pub, a lot of the riff raff began frequenting Bonnie's.

Both EPS and mall security began conducting surveillance on the goings on in and around the lounge.

As a result a lot of undesirables either got barred, or the heat got to be too much for them and they stayed away.

Seems to have worked because last few months Top_Dawg han't heard any of the previous rumours.

When in Mill Creek Top_Dawg continues to regale his epicurean taste at this fine high end establishment.

Quote Originally Posted by jmart81 View Post
    I actually think Sears leaving is good news for that mall. It's been a crappy outlet store selling the low end Sears garbage products for a few years now. The location is very good so I think if they re-imagine that mall a bit, it can get back on track.
    I would argue that most of what Sears sells these days is low end garbage. I've recently wandered into Sears locations at Southgate, Kingsway and WEM - their clothing brands are meh, and all of them feel like you're in an 80s K-Mart.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Sears killed the Bonnie Doon location when they changed it into a clearance center.
    When I first moved into Holyrood, that Sears location was my go-to store for household items. I was able to find everything I needed there - cooking utensils, clothing, curtains and towels... everything. I rarely had to go to Zellers because Sears had what I needed.
    Slowly though, the quality and selection began to disappear. Once it became a clearance center I all but stopped shopping there. They simply didn't have what I was looking for. I was forced to drive to other places to buy the things that I needed.
    Non semper erit aestas

Is that bowling alley still in BD's bowels?
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Sure is howser.

Walked through there the other day with Sonny Boy. Its been there forever. I remember going there with my mother when I was knee high to a grasshopper when they still had pin setters working and could see their feet, ankles and hands as they set up the pins. Must have been early '60s. It's great to see something stay the same like that. Not very many things have in town. They are talking the reno now, I hope they don't change the bowling alley. It's so nastalgic.

C2E SME

So just a bit of news out of the mall. Sears is now completely closed and cleared out, signs are down. Paris Jewellers is moving out, when they will be gone I don't know. And also one more departure from the mall that I'm 100% certain of, my store All Star will be moving out of Bonnie Doon. Our lease expires on January 31 and we have decided to move to a new location.

^ Where are you moving to?

C2E SME

6017 86 St. (Right across the street from the Davies Park n Ride, next door to Rocky's Battery)

Sounds like it's gonna be redevelop or die for Bonnie Doon. Perfect opportunity with the LRT coming in.

Probably a Capilano mall future in sight. Would like to see a TOD but, between the proposed Holyrood and Strathern, I'd be surprised if they felt they could support an another one so close.

6017 86 St. (Right across the street from the Davies Park n Ride, next door to Rocky's Battery)
    Hey, I work in that area.

You will be a football field away from Wagner High School.

Also the past year on weekdays, the Davies Park n Ride lot is 1/3 occupied with vehicles taking advantage of the free parking for workers/students commuting to downtown.

Good luck in 2017! I will pop by after work this spring.

Although not my first choice to locate a geek collectible shop, nevertheless I wish you the best of luck at the new location!
    http://www.allstarcards.ca/

Quote Originally Posted by Perspective View Post
    Probably a Capilano mall future in sight. Would like to see a TOD but, between the proposed Holyrood and Strathern, I'd be surprised if they felt they could support an another one so close.
    I hope not. Capilano somehow managed to take a step back from a mall, which is impressive.

I visited the mall today. The pet store across from the Bank of Montreal is totally empty....gonzo. Woody's BBQ in the food court has been closed since Saturday, there is minimum food items in the cooler behind the counter.

Morguard better have some long term plans for Bonnie Doon or else this mall will fizz out like Melbourne Mall.

I visited the mall today. The pet store across from the Bank of Montreal is totally empty....gonzo. Woody's BBQ in the food court has been closed since Saturday, there is minimum food items in the cooler behind the counter.

Morguard better have some long term plans for Bonnie Doon or else this mall will fizz out like Melbourne Mall.
    Anyone wanting to open an unbranded pet store in a mall has a wish to lose money.
    You can tell the mall is dying - just look at the majority of the tenants. They have ghetto store signs made with fonts from the mid 90's.

That said, we go there a couple times a week for sure, and so does everyone else we know in the neighbourhood. Just for BMO, Shoppers, Safeway, Dollar store, and one of the salons.

The location has so much potential. Smaller upscale mall, condo towers, attach a larger, brand new Idywylde library branch. With the LRT right there and so much new residential going in over the next 5-10 years it seems like a no brainer. I remember when Southgate mall used to be in worse shape than Bonnie Doon is now. that was 20 years ago.

C2E SME

Unfortunately there is very little communication with tenants as to what the actual future is going to be. Uncertainty is never a good thing.

C2E Posting Power

Had to accompany the trophy wife and her 92 year old grandmother at Tony Roma's over the Holiday's- cuz blue hairs apparently love it there. Depressing as hell....restaurant old, dirty and dated - matches the mall - barely 1/4 full on a Sat. Bring on the dozer.

Yeah, Top_Dawg always gets a laugh at how all those grumpy old geezers sit in TR's and peer out into the atrium like a bunch of owls.

So much potential there, with the LRT on the east side and the French Quarter on the west side.
    I say just bulldoze the whole damn thing and restart from scratch. An urban village that reflects the French Quarter theme might work.

Perhaps Ken can put you and your development cash in touch with the owners and you can make your "I just say" into something useful!
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post

Yeah, Top_Dawg always gets a laugh at how all those grumpy old geezers sit in TR's and peer out into the atrium like a bunch of owls.
    Well, they did take their Zellers restaurant away.
    Edmonton is a very exciting place to be right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    Perhaps Ken can put you and your development cash in touch with the owners and you can make your "I just say" into something useful!
    At least my ideas are more useful than your contributions on this board.

Blowing air is more useful how?
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

I'm at Bonnie Doon right now and Woody's BBQ seems to be closed. Not sure if this is temporary or permanent?
    Edmonton is a very exciting place to be right now.

Actually the fridges are empty I'm thinking it's permanent.

Quote Originally Posted by finishstrong View Post
    I'm at Bonnie Doon right now and Woody's BBQ seems to be closed. Not sure if this is temporary or permanent?
    There's a Woody's BBQ at the Yellowhead Inn now, if you like the chain.

^ Looking at Woody's website, they have BBQ ribs on the menu. The one at Bonnie Doon Mall did not offer ribs. Tony Roma's must have the exclusive tights to sell ribs at the mall.

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by finishstrong View Post
    Wouldn't be surprised if they're closed. Tried it once and they were quite expensive compared to the rest of the food court for what you got, plus the quality was meh.

Heard from a credible source that Sears is being demolished. The mall entrance is walled over.

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by ajs View Post
    Heard from a credible source that Sears is being demolished. The mall entrance is walled over.
    Not surprising if true. That side of the mall would do better with a residential development or a complete redo if a specific retailer is interested in that space (sort of like how Home Depot moved into Westmount years ago). I just hope the Bowling Alley survives all this.

Quote Originally Posted by jmart81 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ajs View Post
    Not surprising if true. That side of the mall would do better with a residential development or a complete redo if a specific retailer is interested in that space (sort of like how Home Depot moved into Westmount years ago). I just hope the Bowling Alley survives all this.
    A two story ex department store space is not going to be an attractive space for anyone. I can see the ex-Target space being attractive to a box store company, like home Depot. I wonder what would happen to the Kal Tire if the Sears is demo-d. They're attached and share an entrance.

The Kal Tire at Sears Bonnie Doon is also closed so their space will no doubt be demolished, too.

I spoke to a woman who just recently was a waitress at Albert's Restaurant in Bonnie Doon Mall.

The Albert's will be closing at the end of summer (August). Staff were told the mall's owner is going to build a residential complex on that side of the mall.

Looking forward to seeing the public plan for this, sounds considerable.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

^ You figure by now Morguard would have applied for the proper permits?

Sounds imminent
    www.decl.org

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

How on earth does nobody here have more info on this project than a waitress at Alberts? We need to see/hear more...

Looks like we know where etownboarder sits. Sounds very concerned about how the view may change too.

How on earth does nobody here have more info on this project than a waitress at Alberts? We need to see/hear more...

The servers at Albert's and especially Bonnie's Lounge know everything. Just ask Top Dawg.

Looking forward to seeing this redeveloped. Thankfully with the property being on the upcoming LRT line we will get more than some half assed big job like they attempted at Capilano Mall.

C2E SME

Well all the rumours that circulated around Bonnie Doon, and there have been plenty of rumours, are just that, rumours. With that many seniors in the mall the rumour mill is pretty busy there.

^ Yep, nothing is officially confirmed. However those seniors have tons of street cred.

But, for sure, Albert's will be closing as staff were told they will be laid off at the end of summer.

p.s...Edmcowboy11: What's the status of the new location of your shop? Are you finished moving?

Where will all of Bonnie's burnouts go ?

^ Have you been to the Brick & Whiskey (former Gallagher's) yet?

I haven't checked it out yet but the odd evening I would see many cars in the parking lot.

Funny you should mention that.

Top_Dawg was there mid afternoon yesterday.

It's not a dive bar anymore.

The new owner did a great job renovating it and the place has brightened up a lot.

They still open up at 3:00 P.M. but that is changing very soon.

Within a couple of weeks they will be open for lunch every day.

If there is one thing that can be improved upon it's the size of the men's washroom and the ventilation.

It's nice and clean but it is too small.

Just one stall and one pisser in a fairly confined space.

Yesterday Top_Dawg went for a pi$$.

Some cheecho head had walked out of there a short while before.

Well holy *** !

The lingering stench could gag a maggot.

Top_Dawg almost puked.

And it was some little, scrawny, wiry guy that was in there before.

But *** was he packin' a lotta stink.

They gotta ventilate that ****.

^ The washroom was always small, even when it was Honest Mur's.

I will check out B&W when I find the time.

But how was the clientele? The previous bars in that location used to get the Bonnie's spillover folks. You know, the toothless wonders.

The men's washroom is completely new.

It's on the opposite side of the hallway leading to the back from where it used to be.

And Top_Dawg noticed that they have cleaned up a lot of the undesirable element that used to hang out there.

Also the tattoo parlour that opened up next door has brought them a lot of new clientele.

Still a lot of fat chicks.

Enjoy.

Still a lot of fat chicks.
    That's just Edmonton in general.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

^ Yep, nothing is officially confirmed. However those seniors have tons of street cred.

But, for sure, Albert's will be closing as staff were told they will be laid off at the end of summer.

p.s...Edmcowboy11: What's the status of the new location of your shop? Are you finished moving?

Top_Dawg made some inquiries this weekend and nobody seems to have heard any of this.

In fact, Top_Dawg was told that Bonnie's is moving that bank of three VLTs that have their back to the bar over to the back wall on the other side of the hallway that leads to the shitters so they can open up sightlines from the bar to all the machines.

Top_Dawg doubts they would go to the expense of rewiring if they were mere months away from closing.
    Last edited by Top_Dawg; 04-04-2017 at 10:22 AM.

^ Ya, I am hearing mixed stories on the fate of Albert's in the mall.

C2E SME

Just saw the message now. Yup we have settled in now. Everyone should come stop by and check out the new location.

Funny you should mention that.

Top_Dawg was there mid afternoon yesterday.

It's not a dive bar anymore.

The new owner did a great job renovating it and the place has brightened up a lot.

They still open up at 3:00 P.M. but that is changing very soon.

Within a couple of weeks they will be open for lunch every day.

If there is one thing that can be improved upon it's the size of the men's washroom and the ventilation.

It's nice and clean but it is too small.

Just one stall and one pisser in a fairly confined space.

Yesterday Top_Dawg went for a pi$$.

Some cheecho head had walked out of there a short while before.

Well holy *** !

The lingering stench could gag a maggot.

Top_Dawg almost puked.

And it was some little, scrawny, wiry guy that was in there before.

But *** was he packin' a lotta stink.

They gotta ventilate that ****.
    lmfao
    There was no need to change that plaque. We are the City of Champions.

I was walking through the mall today and noticed Morguard has turned one of the retail bays in to a 'LRT and Property Developments' information centre.
    It was closed, locked and the lights were out, so hard to see.

One wall had info and maps on the LRT and station and the other had some rough property layouts for the redevelopment. From what I could see, the entire NW corner of the mall property was going to see changes and redevelopment. I will try to grab a picture when it's open.

Bonnie Doon mall owners plan major redevelopment
    http://edmontonjournal.com/business/...-redevelopment

Bonnie Doon Shopping Centre is facing a major overhaul that will include building high-density housing, shops and improved connections to a nearby Valley Line LRT station.

While few details about the proposal have been released, a rezoning document submitted to the city in December by facility owner Morguard Investments Ltd. says development of the 12-hectare site will help Edmonton’s plans for more sustainable growth.

“The redevelopment proposal and rezoning application present Edmonton with a unique city-building opportunity that will provide a mix of higher density uses in a strategic location while helping to implement city council’s vision.”

The scheme, expected to roll out over the next 30 years, will feature a variety of medium- and high-density housing, local and regional retail opportunities, enhanced connections to the Bonnie Doon LRT station and a possible future LRT, as well as parks and open spaces.

The mall, at the corner of 82 Avenue and 83 Street, opened in 1958 as Edmonton’s second shopping centre, but lost major tenants in recent years with the closure of Sears and Target, which is now used for a Stitches Factory Outlet.

An open house at La Cite Francophone is scheduled for Jan. 30 to discuss the project. Morguard officials couldn’t be reached for comment.

Coun. Ben Henderson, who represents the area, said Thursday that Safeway and other mall stores are important to many people in the community and he doubts the entire centre will be demolished.

He’d like seniors housing constructed on what he calls a “prime site” for such accommodation.

Looking forward to this one, sounds larger than many folks think.
    www.decl.org

Top_Dawg only hopes that they don't do away with the iconic Bonnie's Sports Lounge.

Sylvain h's authentic Yelp review quoted because it is so spot on:

" You have to go there if you suffer from low self esteem or think you never made it in life because once you get out of the place you will feel like a brand new re-born person.This place is the ultimate rendez vous of losers, the gathering of the elites ,bums,second generations of welfare supported parents,trailer parcs look alikes characters,crackheads,potheads,vlt`s addicts,Alcoholics Anonymous dropouts they all live there like its their home like seriously that place is not a pub its their church and whoever goes there not a member gets dirty looks!Your beer if you ever get it will be served by a nice Value Village model but look there is a positive side to the place, they have happy hour,pint for $3.50 a real full size pint so if you can take the smell (it stinks so bad specially by the entrance by the vlt`s) drink your beer quick and get out felling better!Don`t sit at the bar,thats reserved for the top regular bar flys,you`ll get more then a dirty look! "

If it's a people-first design it'll really bridge the busy roads and lack of east-west community divide. I just hope the City tries to work with them on public space as a part of the rezoning for transit loading/waiting areas.

That and the parking is half full on a good day.

C2E SME

So I was at Bonnie Doon yesterday and there were these two renders on display. It appears this is what will be replacing the Sears two storey. Nothing else was shown other than these. I do hope there is more to come.

Bonnie Doon

Bonnie Doon

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Looking forward to this one, sounds larger than many folks think.
    Century Park had the same fan-fare from the same suspects.

I think something like Deerfoot City in Calgary would be a good fit for the site. De-mall, put a road through the mall to some extent. But really focus on an entertainment-based district. Also, West in Calgary would be an interesting fit. (http://shapeproperties.com/projects/west/)

The biggest mistake would be to make this a seniors-based site. Obviously that is going to be the community's driving idea but that is the last thing this site needs. Something really cool and special could happen here. It is a huge site. I think it is really fortunate that the mall is such a dump right now as the asset will be on the books at close to the PV of existing tenants (which there are few and of lower quality) + land value.

A younger-focused apartment / mid-rise would be great here as well. Ideal LRT connection. Also a disappointment would be to set this just turn into an anchor-outlet mall, like what is shown in the two renders. Funny, I just read an article from JLL today about how "mall" has become a dirty work... time to start thinking of these sites as "villages" or "town centres".

With the City's and national demographics changing dramatically, I would not disagree with designing or incorporating a fair component of this site for those 60+. Walkable, transit-orientated and with services (banks, medical, pools) within 1 block is prime for older individuals for a healthy changing community post-20th century design. A new traffic light controlled intersection will be present on the mall site that accesses the new rec centre where Bonnie Doon Pool is now. That road roughly lines up with 88ave.

Seeing the mall, in one form or another, is over 50 years old, major changes will need to occur to stay competitive.

^^ You're right SweetZone, seniors are distinctly uncool and unspecial. And I'm so glad that C2E now has a resident mind reader so we can really dig in on cries of "NIMBY" before the messy business of actually listening to what people have to say begins. What we really need to do is designate the areas within the city of the greatest location efficiency make sure they are populated only by young, able bodied types wanting to throw axes or escape from locked rooms in their spare time.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetZone View Post
    I think something like Deerfoot City in Calgary would be a good fit for the site. De-mall, put a road through the mall to some extent. But really focus on an entertainment-based district. Also, West in Calgary would be an interesting fit. (http://shapeproperties.com/projects/west/)

The biggest mistake would be to make this a seniors-based site. Obviously that is going to be the community's driving idea but that is the last thing this site needs. Something really cool and special could happen here. It is a huge site. I think it is really fortunate that the mall is such a dump right now as the asset will be on the books at close to the PV of existing tenants (which there are few and of lower quality) + land value.

A younger-focused apartment / mid-rise would be great here as well. Ideal LRT connection. Also a disappointment would be to set this just turn into an anchor-outlet mall, like what is shown in the two renders. Funny, I just read an article from JLL today about how "mall" has become a dirty work... time to start thinking of these sites as "villages" or "town centres".
    Fully agree. Have a seniors tower or similar to what is going up near Westmount. Then some other towers and low rises. Retailers that would be able to afford a new building are generally attracted to younger age groups.

I can only hope the buildings they have planned to replace Sears are just a short term development until this thing is fully built out. If that's what they're planning for long term, it doesn't look promising.

Woof. Wtf is that? This is exactly what not to do here.

Let's see, what big-box crap is east Edmonton missing? I would put a good bet on a PetSmart.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

^^They want to become the next Capilano.

There's gotta be an opportunity there for Canadian Tire or something. I live 6 blocks from Bonnie Doon... if I need any hardware or housewares I have to drive 2 km to Mill Woods, or 2 km to Capilano.

A Home Despot or similar would be ideal in that location.

Yes. A Home Despot and a No Frills would be ideal for the neighbourhood. Pretty sure No frills won't be invited with Safeway there.

However, the big orange and high density urban living development don't often go together in Edmonton.

I'd be surprised if a hardware store moved in seeing the proximity (from a retailers POV) to Capilano, Strathcona, and the land value and density levels are not high enough to get anything better than what is at Westmount Mall, which is basically the original mall format. Seeing how Capilano turned out with its CRU leases I wouldn't get too excited beyond retailers or restaurants that are sure of being reliable leases. Definitely won't be a Suter Brook Village in Port Moody, as a suburban/urban shopping centre example.

I married a Home Despot

The render doesn't account for a big box hardware store, but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be a good fit for the location. The closest ones would be the Home Depot's in Meadows, Gateway, Clareview, and Sherwood Park. None are particularly close. I could see Lowe's wanting to get in there.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast