Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bonnie Doon Shopping Centre | Discussion

Strathcona Home Depot is a ten minute drive away.
    Only 15-17 minutes to Meadows.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Driving is one thing. But if Bonnie Doon wants to transform into an urbanista wet dream they should include onsite retailers such as a hardware store, grocery, liquor store, gym, etc.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

From Bonnie Doon you have quite a distance to 4 Home Depot's. Prime spot for a competitor, right in the middle of teardown/renovation neighbourhoods.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...related-infill

I attended a by-invitation open house/preview of Bonnie Doon's plans the other evening (or at least their plans for making plans). Let's play a little game:

How long has the Valley Line alignment been confirmed? - loooong time
    How many conversations has the CoE had about how citizens will get from the LRT stop to the Mall? How will the two integrate? - 0
    How many conversations has the CoE had with Morguard simply asking them what their long term plans might someday be? - 0
    How many conversations has the CoE had with Morguard about issues raised in this article? - 0

The level of ineptitude is hard to fathom.

C2E SME

Who was conducting the meeting?

Morguard.

Infill better around malls, real estate folks say. Except they usually do a crappy design job, even at the best Western Canadian malls, IMO:

Quote Originally Posted by ajs View Post

I attended a by-invitation open house/preview of Bonnie Doon's plans the other evening (or at least their plans for making plans). Let's play a little game:

How many conversations has the CoE had about how citizens will get from the LRT stop to the Mall? How will the two integrate? - 0
    How many conversations has the CoE had with Morguard simply asking them what their long term plans might someday be? - 0
    How many conversations has the CoE had with Morguard about issues raised in this article? - 0

Is the issue with the City not proposing rezoning of their land, or is it the Mall owner's issue by not approaching the City that they have a new concept? It's tough for the City to take a privately owned piece of land that isn't subdivided or have roads through it, and ask them to do something completely different, densify, add plaza/park space, or reduce parking or make new road / entry configurations.

In most cases where a train line has been for a while, or is coming, the mall owner will approach the City for a rezoning application and propose something that demands its own mini "area plan" and long public consultations. Mall owners are notorious sticks in the mud in the urban design realm.

The city should be doing blanket-rezoning of residential streets around the LRT corridor and stops, the mall can deal with their own rezoning.

The city should be approaching major land owners about access to and through their properties when a major change like LRT occurs. There's opportunity for cooperation on lots of things: pedestrian over/underpasses,
    There can only be one.

^One day.

Quote Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post

Is the issue with the City not proposing rezoning of their land, or is it the Mall owner's issue by not approaching the City that they have a new concept? It's tough for the City to take a privately owned piece of land that isn't subdivided or have roads through it, and ask them to do something completely different, densify, add plaza/park space, or reduce parking or make new road / entry configurations.

In most cases where a train line has been for a while, or is coming, the mall owner will approach the City for a rezoning application and propose something that demands its own mini "area plan" and long public consultations. Mall owners are notorious sticks in the mud in the urban design realm.
    Listen, I get it. Morguard is not blameless. But, of course, they are not ELECTED and EMPLOYED by the citizens of Edmonton to operate on their behalf. Didn't you just write somewhere about getting on Ben Hen for not considering this section of the Valley Line a corridor and zone appropriately in advance of construction? I have contacted employees of Morguard twice over the last year (not the right ones unfortunately) in order to begin talking about what the plan looks like. And I'm just a guy who lives nearby.

It must be quite a work out carrying this much water for the city.

Listen, I get it. Morguard is not blameless. But, of course, they are not ELECTED and EMPLOYED by the citizens of Edmonton to operate on their behalf. Didn't you just write somewhere about getting on Ben Hen for not considering this section of the Valley Line a corridor and zone appropriately in advance of construction? I have contacted employees of Morguard twice over the last year (not the right ones unfortunately) in order to begin talking about what the plan looks like. And I'm just a guy who lives nearby.

It must be quite a work out carrying this much water for the city.
    For the Councillor it would be easier and with more results to go after small lots, to allow/zone for people to be able to assemble them, and proposed mixed-use or mid-rise apartments.
    Last edited by GenWhy?; 18-01-2018 at 11:22 AM.

Why should "the councillor" assemble lots?

Fine-grained redevelopment is better, just rezone the closest blocks to LRT stations for low-rise apartments, the next ring of blocks for all sorts of townhouses stacked, suited or otherwise, and let the market go to work.

It's on a large block like the mall where more direct involvement is called for. Like requesting/requiring a mid-block all-hours pedestrian corridor through the site from the station to the neighbourhood to the west. You don't need to do that in a typical neighbourhood of small lots.
    There can only be one.

^Precisely, both call for a different approach - the mall needs more direct intervention and coordination with Staff/owners to plan, but a Overall Area Plan or guidelines has to be in place, and Mr. Henderson and Staff knew the LRT would be here, so what's the plan and the hold up? Spend the 5 years making a Bonnie Doon Town Centre Plan (when the route was approved) or a LRT corridor plan. For years I've heard councillors and mayors talk about this approach of corridor rezoning. If you rezone the area around the station(s), then folks will develop as they gradually will, assemble lots to built larger structures, will build less parking if it's in the plan, more street-oriented townhomes if its in the plan, reduced setbacks... the mall presented I bet a lacklustre low density retail add-on where the Sears currently sits empty because that's the model, that's where things are currently at.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Infill better around malls, real estate folks say. Except they usually do a crappy design job, even at the best Western Canadian malls, IMO:
    Of course, an existing mall on a new LRT line is the very best opportunity, said the authors. But a site with a grocery store, movie theatre and other commercial amenities with a good road connection and a bus terminal has greater appeal than an LRT station without shopping, they wrote.
    Bolding mine.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Some sketches of the mall overhaul.
    http://edmontonjournal.com/business/...nnie-doon-mall

This looks promising, but doesn't line up at all with the car-oriented big box renderings they've already released.

^
    In the past, several Edmonton malls have been reluctant to work with the city on LRT stations, but Morguard is the opposite, seeing the station as a crucial component of the project. In Port Coquitlam, B.C., Morguard lobbied hard to have a station put in at a major mall, both so the mall could get more customers and the mass transit line could get more passengers. To entice the city, Morguard offered free land and a subsidy to the local government.

It’s key that the train is running at ground level, Knowles says, as opposed to being elevated, which would greatly limit accessibility: “The feel of it would be totally different.”
    Bonnie Doon is better than Southgate and Kingsway Mall!

In the past, several Edmonton malls have been reluctant to work with the city on LRT stations, but Morguard is the opposite, seeing the station as a crucial component of the project. In Port Coquitlam, B.C., Morguard lobbied hard to have a station put in at a major mall, both so the mall could get more customers and the mass transit line could get more passengers. To entice the city, Morguard offered free land and a subsidy to the local government.
    Promising.... especially given that the LRT took up some of their parking spaces.

Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post
    Bonnie Doon is better than Southgate and Kingsway Mall!
    With respect to LRT access, Southgate Mall is alright.

Kingsway is laughable ( as is the whole Metro line ).

More like cryable. That sad.

Whatever they decide to do I'm sure the COE will go in right up over their heads and muck it all up for them.

I don't follow 100%. Coquitlam Centre did not lose a lot of parking, nor is the interaction with the SkyTrain that great at all at Lincoln Station and is no better or maybe worse than Southgate Station. It's also located in Coquitlam, not Port Coquitlam. So if Morguard is using Lincoln Station as an exemplary precedent of their inclusion of mass transit then I'm cautiously optimistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Whatever they decide to do I'm sure the COE will go in right up over their heads and muck it all up for them.
    Well according to Morguard they did it right by putting the platform at grade. Go figure.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

^To allow a more seamless integration of pedestrian, retail, transit connectivity.

This is the same issue they had when they built the Grant MacEwan Campus except when it was too late
    This is the same issue they had with Southgate except when it was too late
    This is the same issue they had with Kingsway Mall except when it was too late

the COE Planning Department will NEVER LEARN
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Rehosting the sketches from the Journal article.

I'm skeptical if anything this great comes out of this... but man if this even turned out remotely close to these sketches it'd be a huge boon.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron_Lloyd View Post
    but man if this even turned out remotely close to these sketches it'd be a huge boon.
    A Bonnie Doon boon, you might say. Hopefully soon.

Top_Dawg is hopeful.

But highly skeptical as well.

Top_Dawg envisions a train pulling up along side a big parking lot with a oversize Stitches store as backdrop.

Man, I would love to see such a design. Many other cities have proper TOD with high rise Condos integrated with shops, a mall and underground parking coupled with LRT.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post
    Top_Dawg envisions a train pulling up along side a big parking lot with a oversize Stitches store as backdrop.
    There is already a train sitting in a big parking lot with an oversize Stitches store as a backdrop.
    It's a mockup, but it's there.

Pretty pictures. Like a postcard from some alternate future universe where COE is a competent partner in transit oriented development.

Standing at the LRT station of this urban utopia I turn my gaze east where a new twin arena was completed in 2019 (on the site of a formerly super-busy outdoor soccer/lacrosse field), a rinky dink playground was built as a sop to surrounding communities, and a sixty year old pool continues it's decline into decrepitude despite lots of opportunity to build a robust rec centre on the new train line as a way to service the thousands of new residents in what is arguably the largest residential infill development corridor in the city. How's that for planning?

Site Plan and possibly rezoning/permits by 2020-2022. They'll start with the easy stuff first. They are most likely pretty pictures until after 2030.

Top_Dawg is hopeful.

Yeah, get ready to lift a leg, Dawg.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    Top_Dawg is hopeful.

Lots of talk of a hardware store. You know what hardware store Edmonton does not have? Home Hardware.

The renderings of the Bonnie Doon redevelopment reminds me of something...I think I've seen this somewhere before...something Sodosopa:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l242...vVYKEFDFhswhoo

C2E SME

These renders look great and would be awesome to see come to life. Now with that said, considering what I saw and posted before, I am not going to hold my breath about seeing any of this for at least another 10 years from now. If this idea actually makes it past the pretty picture phase then this could be a major improvement to the area. Right now all I see is a big big IF.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
    These renders look great and would be awesome to see come to life. Now with that said, considering what I saw and posted before, I am not going to hold my breath about seeing any of this for at least another 10 years from now. If this idea actually makes it past the pretty picture phase then this could be a major improvement to the area. Right now all I see is a big big IF.
    At our community AGM last night, there was a report of the Bonnie Doon Connect initiative. They summarized what a lot of the commentary was. Almost everyone commented that the capilano mall redevelopment was the anti-example of what to do here. Good to read.

They did have a timeline posted for the next steps, and I was a bit shocked at it.

Concept Design - April-May 2018
    Zoning Regulations - May-Sep 2018
    Public Hearing with Council - Fall 2018.

I think that's very ambitious. Especially if they're wanting to do what everyone is hoping for. If it's just capilano mall V2.0, then I guess that timeline is realistic.

C2E SME

If it goes to the Capilano Mall model it would be so very sad.

Very. I like the long walkway in the mall that I have traversed since childhood, walking through the bowling alley checking it out of course. The first time I went with my mom they still had human pin setters. I know, ancient. But anyway keeping an indoor long mall for our long nine month winter is important in Edmonchuk. Nice to run in out of the cold and hang out for a time, but then again Valley Line will be running to WEM before long. Where do you think people will be heading for the day.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 20-04-2018 at 04:42 PM.

Many new urban malls encompass both indoor and street orientated aspects.

I've seen that at Crossiron, the mall stores have entrances from the parking lot too.

Examine Brentwood or Lougheed Town Centre's in Burnaby. Mind you the towers on those sites are huge compared to what will happen at Bonnie Doon, but it's an example of mall transformation around a train station in a Canadian city recently.

Sign on the Bonnie Doon parking lot...

Tenant found for former Sears store in Bonnie Doon mall

The company that owns Bonnie Doon Shopping Centre plans to announce the tenant that will move into the former Sears store in the next four to six weeks.

The Sears store closed more than a year ago.

The new tenant — focused on education and wellness — will draw more than 1,000 people per day to the mall, said Margaret Knowles, senior vice-president of development at Morguard Investments Ltd., the Toronto-area real estate company that owns the mall.

The company has proposed to rezone the land the mall sits on and turn the area into a mixed-use, transit-oriented development that includes 6,000 new homes. That would take 20 to 30 years.

Morguard's most recent proposal for the 12-hectare property and surrounding area divides the space into five districts:

• Commercial district with possible office space;
    • Health and wellness district;
    • Boutique and "central park" district with retail;
    • Retail and entertainment district with a transit plaza, and;
    • Garden district with a residential focus.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...mall-1.4665905

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Sounds like a gym. Maybe GoodLife.

Keep our mall ! Go build somewhere else !

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

^you’re one of a few who actually care, and yet, your lack of several million dollars makes that meaningless. I am all for seeing that aging dump redeveloped.

C2E SME

If the mall goes away but we get a the development that is proposed in post #227 I would be pretty happy bout that. If they maintain a shopping mall in the "Marche Bonnie Doon" with exterior accessed businesses, underground parking and LRT access, this could be an excellent TOD.

You know I'm trying to figure out how a sign that probably costs a pretty good dollar made it from the idea table, through marketing, sign off from management of the developer, the sign shop and the people that set it up and they missed the incorrect spelling of possibly...

...does no one pay attention to detail anymore?
    Last edited by KenL2; 28-05-2018 at 11:04 AM.
    Excellence is a continual Journey up a staircase where there is NO top step...

Quote Originally Posted by David Jackson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    Top_Dawg is hopeful.

Lots of talk of a hardware store. You know what hardware store Edmonton does not have? Home Hardware.

The renderings of the Bonnie Doon redevelopment reminds me of something...I think I've seen this somewhere before...something Sodosopa:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l242...vVYKEFDFhswhoo

I don't think that Home hardware sets up shop in Big cities, their market seems to be smaller communities, almost every smaller community around Edmonton has one.
    Excellence is a continual Journey up a staircase where there is NO top step...

Quote Originally Posted by KenL2 View Post
    You know I'm trying to figure out how a sign that probably costs a pretty good dollar made it from the idea table, through marketing, sign off from management of the developer, the sign shop and the people that set it up and they missed the incorrect spelling of possibly...

No kidding.

Top_Dawg loves The Sun.

These are the kinds of spelling and syntax errors you see in The Sun multiple times every day.

Quote Originally Posted by KenL2 View Post

I saw "Publicaly" but I don't even see possibly on the sign.

C2E SME

“Accessible” too.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Plan is 6,000 residential units. Up to 93,000m2 of retail, office and commercial space. Number of different districts on site including a pedestrian focused boutique district with a unique central park in the center of the site. Parking for the development to be primarily underground. New streets to be added to the site - provides bicycle lanes and priority pedestrian access to the BD LRT stop.

For reference, if the 93,000m2 was all retail, this would be larger than Southgate and Kingsway.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Keep our mall ! Go build somewhere else !
    lool, read the damn sign (you even quoted it!). They're adding retail.

Bonnie Doon is a ridiculous waste of space. The thing is hideous. You get depressed just walking through it really fast.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/real...city-building/
    In Edmonton, commercial infill doubles as city building
    "Margaret Knowles, a vice-president with Mississauga-based Morguard, says her project in Bonnie Doon – a postwar suburb in central Edmonton – is a rare example in her career when a commercial-infill developer in Alberta gets to rebuild an entire city block into an urban village."
    posts randomly and infrequently

C2E SME

Now here is a crazy idea, but I wonder if this could work? I wonder if there could be room for the movie theater that was supposed to go into the ice district, to go into the proposed Bonnie Doon redevellopment?

My guess is, with the closure of Target and Sears, the upcoming LRT line, the mall is considering all viable options. A theater might work, not many are within walking distance of an LRT line.

The owners have a great show and tell set up re the development, what stage they are on and ability to give feedback. They are at the massing stage. It looks interesting. Safe way has a crazy long lease. The massing diagrams look interesting, but no service lanes. I have concern about the load on the existing sewer, but maybe with the upgrades the city needs to do in the area that will be taken care of.

Im super excited to be able to follow this project.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

"Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Century Park all over again

C2E SME

I think 84 Avenue could be quite crowded at rush hour, especially if Whyte Avenue's left turn lane is crowded.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    I think 84 Avenue could be quite crowded at rush hour, especially if Whyte Avenue's left turn lane is crowded.
    Going which way? In the afternoon, traffic is coming from downtown and turning left on whyte ave. 84 ave wouldn;t offer any benefit. It terminates at 79 st, and turning left from 79st on to whyte is nearly impossible. If they turned the other way, they'd have to go to 91 st, which is really back tracking, and the left turn at whyte/83st is still better than the one at whyte/91 st.

More districts... *argh
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E SME

I was thinking eastbound on Whyte to Northbound 83 Street.

I think they are using district in the organizational sense Ian, not in a naming convention ie the Ice District. Thus far I appreciate them continuing the residential edge of Bonnie Doone across 85,sadly no town houses but the tower on the old employee parking lot, recycling center currently, is welcome.

my feed back to them was service lanes. The south side of the complex “the retail district” will have underground parking, loading docks and garbage, but what about the rest of the site? The owners of the land have been super open and willing to engage. It’s a big site... I remain pretty excited.

And no no it’s not century park. Thus is next door to dt and on 82 ave in an area of the city that is very disirable.

I agree with your assessment EDP. Given its Morguard - we should expect a superior plan and development.

It's a very similar idea to Century Park's original idea. Distances from downtown not withstanding. Century Park is just a 15 minute LRT ride from downtown. Bonnie Doon 10. ooohhh ahhh 5 minutes. Century Park is also in a very desirable (sp?) area of the city. The SW has lead the population increases in the city for over a decade. It also has great access to the airport, and to the Anthony Henday freeway.... very desirable.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    It's a very similar idea to Century Park's original idea. Distances from downtown not withstanding. Century Park is just a 15 minute LRT ride from downtown. Bonnie Doon 10. ooohhh ahhh 5 minutes. Century Park is also in a very desirable (sp?) area of the city. The SW has lead the population increases in the city for over a decade. It also has great access to the airport, and to the Anthony Henday freeway.... very desirable.
    Bonnie Doon has WALKING proximity to the river valley and Old Strathcona and is 5 minutes from downtown by car or 10 by LRT. It is in the circular LRT route that a future LRT will run (2-3 lines). The only urban place maybe more desirable is ... downtown. But for those that want to be in the "centre" without the extreme density and social issues found in the core - this will be next best location.

C2E SME

The slow pace of development at Century Park is roughly 98% to do with who owns the land. Not how desirable the area or specific buildings are.

So true - that and cash flow. In Bonnie Doon's case - a bank owns it ... the 3rd largest with assets just shy of a trillion dollars. I am sure they can cobble something together.

Not everyone bases themselves on proximity to downtown. Many people live south because they work south, either south Edmonton or Nisku/Leduc. Give your head a shake if you truly believe Bonnie Doon is more desirable than other areas of the city, particularly similar designs on the south.

Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
    Bonnie Doon has WALKING proximity to the river valley and Old Strathcona and is 5 minutes from downtown by car or 10 by LRT. It is in the circular LRT route that a future LRT will run (2-3 lines). The only urban place maybe more desirable is ... downtown. But for those that want to be in the "centre" without the extreme density and social issues found in the core - this will be next best location.

Walking distance to the river valley - sure - its a 50 minute walk. Century Park to River valley is about 60-70 minutes. Soooo much closer. So many people think that the river valley only exists next to downtown?!?! For me, the Edmonton portion of the river valley goes from the Devon to Fort Sask... downtown portion of it is the most disappointing because its filled in with roads and developments... Century Park already has 2 LRT lines serving it.

Boonie Doon redevelopment is very similar to Century Park, different owners though, true.

Yes, the centre of gravity of the city is slowly moving to the southwest. Century Park is much better located to capture this in the future.

Apparently Medwards doesn't know where Bonnie Doon is, because it's a 10-minute walk to the river valley at forest heights park, a little more to Cloverdale and less than 10 minutes of a very enjoyable walk to mill creek if ravines count. Incidentally youcan get from Century park to blackmud in a similar time if you walk along the main roads but it's not she same kind of walk.
    There can only be one.

They also have scope, this is a 30 year build out.

a 30 year build out, much like the actual scope Century Park should be considered in.

A good part of the 30 years has to do with the length of lease Safeway has, which was mindblowigly long.

I don’t see you all up in arms over westmount and it’s going redevelopment.
    Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 24-07-2018 at 12:26 PM.

Safeway has leases everywhere which last forever, and stupid covenants that if they leave the property another grocer can't come into their former space... What's mind boggling or mindblowing is how this practice was allowed.

Bonnie Doon is hosting a pancake breakfast (among other activities) tomorrow morning 7am to announce their new tenant for the former Sears space. https://www.facebook.com/events/434949660245574/

Bonnie Doon is hosting a pancake breakfast (among other activities) tomorrow morning 7am to announce their new tenant for the former Sears space. https://www.facebook.com/events/434949660245574/
    H&M?
    Walmart?

^^ The breaky was supposed to start at 7 AM.
    I get there just after 7 AM and they were just setting up, then overheard it was to start at 8 AM.
    Hahaha! Losers! They can't even get that right!
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E SME

Curious who is going to the space.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    ^^ The breaky was supposed to start at 7 AM.
    I get there just after 7 AM and they were just setting up, then overheard it was to start at 8 AM.
    Hahaha! Losers! They can't even get that right!
    Brutal - as late as yesterday they were still correcting the time on their FB event from ending at 1 to 11.

Always fascinating to see what gets C2E'ers hyper-critical and versus who/what they excuse. It truly is Galeano's Upside Down world.

Anyway, new tenant - Makami College.

Makami College is the new tenant? Well, they were the ones in charge of the pancake breaky and even had massage chairs set up. Still, it would have made for an anticlimactic announcement.

C2E SME

Really? Makami? Well if that is the case, thats ok. Although I can't see them filling that space.

Crap. I really wanted a hardware store.

That is not revitalization. Its filling a vacant void while Developer plans. I hope.

Wonderful. A service center will bring a steady stream of traffic to the area. And a successful relationship will lay the foundation for an anchor in the proposed commercial service area portion of the redevelopment

One would have to think demand for the space increases closer to the Valley Line opening. Still this is disappointing that they couldn't get an anchor tenant to commit so soon to demand at this location increasing due to the LRT line. Bonnie Doon essentially represents a current TOD of sorts. A currently existing one. The LRT should transform Mall business as usually occurs on such lines.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Dustin Cook‏ @dustin_cook3
    The old Sears space in @BonnieDoonSC was purchased by @MaKamiCollege for their new campus. Construction is underway and they hope to be fully moved in by October.

https://twitter.com/dustin_cook3/sta...26589253214208

^

falls right into the "health and wellness district"...

I don’t know if they purchased it.... that doesn’t make sense but they prolly leased it.

First new (actual, not mock-up) low floor LRT train was just getting setup next door to the pancake breakfast.

TransEd LRT will have the vehicle on display in the east parking lot (83 Street side) at Bonnie Doon shopping Centre from tomorrow through next Wednesday. Hours are:

Friday July 27: 12:00 noon – 6:00 p.m.
    • Saturday July 28: 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
    • Sunday July 29: 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
    • Monday July 30: 12:00 noon – 6:00 p.m.
    • Tuesday July 31: 12:00 noon – 6:00 p.m.
    • Wednesday August 1: 12:00 noon – 4:00 pm

For more information, check the “advisories” section at the TransEd website http://transedlrt.ca.

There will be a celebratory media session at 10:00 am tomorrow; please feel free to drop by to observe the event and be among the first to tour the new light rail vehicle!

Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
    A good part of the 30 years has to do with the length of lease Safeway has, which was mindblowigly long.

I don’t see you all up in arms over westmount and it’s going redevelopment.
    im not up in arms about anything.Just drawing similarities.

The current plan:

A mix of row housing, mid-rise, and high-rise development with up to 4,000 units (revised from 6,000)
    Retail, office, and other commercial space up to 140,000 m2 (revised from 93,000 m2)
    Publicly-accessible parks and open space
    Underground parking
    New streets throughout the site, including bicycle lanes and pedestrian priority
    Connections to the Bonnie Doon LRT stop

For reference, if that 140K m2 was just retail mall, it would be the second largest in Edmonton and the 7th largest in Canada. The current mall is 46K m2 of retail.

Open house being held:
    Date: Wednesday, October 17
    Time: 5 – 8 p.m. (drop-in, no scheduled presentation)
    Location: La Cité Francophone, 8627 91 Street NW (rue Marie-Anne Gaboury)

Though it'll take a long time to be built, it's an exciting project. I'd be interested in hearing arguments against it, if there are any.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Earth mound. lol.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast