Thread: Slide The City coming to Edmonton Jul 18

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Default Slide The City coming to Edmonton Jul 18

http://www.slidethecity.com/events/edmonton/

I've seen a few of these on youtube and they look like great fun. A 1000' long slip n slide. Anyone know where it's going to be set up?

C2E Long Term Contributor

Neat. Curious about the location. Victoria?
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

First One is Always Free

Web site does not tell you location in the city. I would suggest Victoria hill, good grade.
    Sydney Wood

Louise McKinney would be good too
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I'd rather C2E than work!

I feel like this needs to be on a road, and not a super steep one like 105th or Grierson. Need a more gradual slope. I can't think of a road that would be similar to the one on the site off the top of my head.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Connors road is a bit of a shallower grade. That might work, especially since you can close off one lane and not impact traffic. 98 ave would probably be too steep.
    How cool would it be going down groat road?

If I were organizing it, I'd start it halfway up Grierson so people can gain some momentum, and have a gradual slowdown as the course levels out. Registration at the Shaw, supplemental events at LMP.

Easily shut down too.

^ That makes the most sense to me too. Plus it's downtown (not downtown-downtown but you know what I mean )
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.L View Post
    I feel like this needs to be on a road, and not a super steep one like 105th or Grierson. Need a more gradual slope. I can't think of a road that would be similar to the one on the site off the top of my head.
    No one said it was going to easy
    I'm having people over later to stare at their phones,if you want to drop by

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    ^ That makes the most sense to me too. Plus it's downtown (not downtown-downtown but you know what I mean )
    Exactly. If it's not highly visiblewith a great backdrop and additional events, they're missing the mark. This is an all day deal, so there should be food trucks, entertainment, etc on site.

CTV reporter Ashley Molnar just did a story on this from Grierson Hill. One of the anchors mentioned that location would be good for getting back up the hill again via Shaw.

CBC story
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...nton-1.2920760

Mayor Don Iveson said he was interested in bringing the event here after seeing it in other Canadian cities last year.

“I had quite a few Edmontonians ask me what were we doing to bring this here,” he said. “So we reached out to the folks and let them know that there was interest...now I'll have to get my swim trunks and my sunscreen.”

Tickets to ride will cost between $15 and $25.

As for where in the city it will be placed, that hasn’t been decided yet.

Iveson said the location will be chosen in light of safety, liability, access, connectivity and general public safety.

ExploreEdmonton ‏@EdmontonTourism
    Only 1 day left for early bird Slide the City registration for July 18! http://bit.ly/1541XSh

Love this, so going.
    www.decl.org

So this is happening right now. I hear its sold out.

It's sold out, which is amazing at $25 per go. Hung out for a bit. Slide lasts less than a minute, and is much slower than I would have expected.
    Support the mob or mysteriously disappear...

I was downtown earlier and saw a ton of people walking around with the tubes and backpacks. Talked to a couple of girls and they said they had a lot of fun. They bought a 3-ride pass for $35, and went down twice (they said there was a 35 min lineup).
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Moving to Victoria Park Road on July 23
    http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...on-in-edmonton

The 305-metre-long slip-n-slide that took over Grierson Hill in downtown Edmonton last summer is making its return July 23 — but at a new location.
    This year’s event will be on Victoria Park Road, where organizers say participants riding inflatable tubes will get a better view of the river valley and a much faster slide.
    “Last year’s slide down Grierson Hill was a huge success and sold out, so we are pleased to be back in Edmonton,” said Slide the City co-ordinator Scott Ward.
    This is the second year the Utah-based waterslide has come to Edmonton. It is sponsored by Epcor.
    Edmonton is one of nine announced Canadian stops on Slide the City’s North American tour, including along with Calgary on July 30 and Sylvan Lake on Aug. 6.
    Tickets will be available online May 4. If the event sells out, organizers are contemplating adding a second date on July 24.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Wtf with tickets being sold in USD? I don't pay in USD for concerts or Broadway shows or other touring acts from the United States, so why are they selling tickets for an event being held here in US Dollars? We close down a public street and the city didn't demand that tickets be sold in Canadian $$$? I am not at all impressed. Not cool!!!

Everything is USD... Welcome to 1998.
    www.decl.org

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Tickets sold through ticket master for events here are in USD? Events at the Jubilee are all in Canadian Dollars are they not? We're tickets for Beyonce in USD at Commonwealth this Fridau? It's definitely possible, I don't do many concerts etc, but the last time I did, that wasn't the case. I really think the city should include in their contract that all financial tender must be in Canadian dollars for something like this.
    Last edited by etownboarder; 18-05-2016 at 01:41 AM.