Thread: 200+ yrs of slavery in Canada/pre-Canada

Default 200+ yrs of slavery in Canada/pre-Canada

I thought this was interesting... applies to western Canada too. (It's Wikipedia so don't take anything as factual without further investigation.)

Slavery in Canada

excerpts:

"Canadian First Nations owned or traded in slaves, an institution that had existed for centuries or longer among certain groups. Shawnee, Potawatomi, and other western tribes imported slaves from Ohio and Kentucky and sold them to Canadian settlers. ...[14]"

"Among some Pacific Northwest tribes about a quarter of the population were slaves.[7][8] One slave narrative was composed by an Englishman, John R. Jewitt, who had been taken alive when his ship was captured in 1802; his memoir provides a detailed look at life as a slave, and asserts that a large number were held."

"Historian Marcel Trudel recorded approximately 4000 slaves by the end of New France in 1759, of which 2,472 were aboriginal people, and 1,132 blacks. After the Conquest of New France by the British, slave ownership remained dominated by the French. Marcel Trudel identified 1509 slave owners, which only 181 were English.[29]"

" The compromise Slave Act of 1793 stands as the only attempt by any Canadian legislature to act against slavery.[17] "

"Slavery remained legal, however, until the British Parliament's Slavery Abolition Act finally abolished slavery in all parts of the British Empire effective August 1, 1834."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_Canada

That is certainly an interesting historical fact, and would be shocking to a lot of people, because in this part of the world you typically only hear about white slave owners (and black slaves) in the USA. You just never hear about white slaves throughout history.

What I find more shocking (and awful) is that there are many places in the world where slavery in that form still exists today.

We're safe. No one nowadays reads this old history crap anyways. Everyone, continue to spin the facts, act all self-righteous, and no one will ever know the difference.

Canadians love to virtue signal about Civil War, but Confederates had Canada's support
    Barry Sheehy: Confederates operated with the tacit approval of Canadian authorities, who saw a divided U.S. as being in Canada's best interests

Cosh’s recent National Post column on White House Chief of Staff John Kelly and the American Civil War is an unfortunate example of Canadian virtue signalling, rooted in a selective interpretation of facts. Cosh’s suggestion that no people of good faith existed in the South because of the sin of slavery ignores the fact that state by state referendums on secession were close. In Georgia, the vote was 50,243 in favour and 37,123 against. Hardly a ringing endorsement for war.

Slavery was an American sin long before it was a Southern one. When slavery proved uneconomic in the North, slaves were sold south where the cotton gin allowed the institution to be marginally profitable. The beneficiaries of slave-grown cotton were not just plantation owners but powerful textile manufacturers in New England, as well as shipping firms and banks in New York. Northern banks and insurance companies, some still operating, were among the chief beneficiaries of slavery and the cotton trade. Even Canada’s own business legend William C. Macdonald used tobacco from slave states like Kentucky. His profits helped build McGill University.

New York, not New Orleans, was the..."

"Cosh talks of American historical myths, but what about Canadian myths? A prime example is the misconception that Canada supported old Abe and his war. In fact, Canadian authorities were alarmed by the runaway militarization of the U.S. and the evolution of a nascent military dictatorship centred in Washington. Secretary of State William Seward bragged to British ambassador Lord Lyons that he could have anyone in the United States arrested and held without trial simply by ringing a small bell on his desk. It was a shameful boast but essentially true.

Meanwhile, Lincoln shut down or intimidated into silence newspapers across the country that opposed..."

"Another cherished Canadian myth centres on the Underground Railroad. ... Support for runaway slaves tended to weaken as you moved east across Canada, with Montreal and Halifax being ..."

"The key issues for Lincoln were preservation of the Union and the collection of revenue. Don’t take my word for it; just read Lincoln’s First Inaugural. He goes out of his way to state, “I have no purpose, directly or indirectly, to interfere with the institution of slavery… where it exists. I believe I have no lawful right to do so, and I have no inclination to do so.”

Even when Lincoln signed the Emancipation Proclamation he was careful to free only those slaves not under his control. Slaves in border states ..."

http://nationalpost.com/opinion/cana...anadas-support

Last edited by KC; 07-11-2017 at 01:51 PM.