Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ritchie Market | BrewPub & Business Collective | 2 Stories | Under Construction

Default Ritchie Market | BrewPub & Business Collective | 2 Stories | Under Construction

This is a rather comprehensive project for the Ritchie commercial area and there are a few details that I have not seen on C2E yet, and they might need a separate thread after this. There are 2 things happening in Ritchie that coincide with this project that I will mention last.

The project is called "Ritchie Market" located on the NE corner of 96st and 76ave, and involves the key anchor and tenant as a Brew-Pub called Blind Enthusiasm Public House by Greg Zeschuk from Bioware, and is to be completed by late 2016. The Restaraunt will seat up to 75 persons and will feature a large patio on 96st. The 2nd major tenant is the relocation of Transcend's roasterie, which also will include a cafe in the building's "common" entrance area on 76ave, sharing space with the resto's patio. The 3rd tenant is Acme Meats, and a 4th is a bike rental and repair.

The building will feature massive bicycle parking to bank on locals and Mill Creek to use the building, and only has 9 parking spots in the rear. Group2 Architects are behind this and feature brown brick on the corner and along 96st, and a "separate-building-look" with metal siding to capture the old Gainers facility and 99st industrial. Zeschuk also owns the vacant lot on the SW corner, but only half the site has been remediated by Shell, and Zeschuk said he's getting reports from Shell to remediate it by 2016 so he can develop it after he's done this project.

1) City of Edmonton Corner Store Pilot Program http://www.edmonton.ca/business_econ...t-program.aspx
    Ritchie was chosen as 1 of 3 locations to test this 1 year pilot program to rejuvenate the intersection's commercially zoned properties. That commences later this year I believe. Facade improvements and other initiatives are a main part of this.

2) And this intersection is being rejuvenated by the Ritchie Community as the "4 Corners", a kind of community league initiated informal BRZ. I think these 3 projects together are a real test for all things that could go right in taking a rundown commercial area and really turning it around and making it a centre of activity and prosperity.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

C2E Posting Power

Thank God...this corner needs so much love. I remember growing up a block away from this corner and the "Texco" branded gas station where the water bottler now sits on the NE corner. If one looks at the building on the SE corner - see the shaded outline at the back - where a car drove into it back in 79' or 80'.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

That's great news GenWhy !

Top_Dawg's south side crash pad is within walking distance of this corner.

Huge potential there.

Only drawback is all the condescending jabronis gawking disapprovingly from the patio as Top_Dawg attempts to non chalantly saunter into his friendly neighborhood jack shack for some play time.
    Last edited by Top_Dawg; 22-01-2015 at 11:31 AM.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Fantastic news indeed, great little area.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

highlander

What's on the 2nd floor? Office, or Residential?
    Either way, great project. It would be awesome if this development spurs new investment in the other vacant corners here, and encourages owners of similar properties to redevelop and to included Retail space.

T Dawg, you got nothing to worry about, the patio and much of the rest is facing away from our favorite neighborhood massage parlour.
    As for the second floor, it's mainly beer barrel storage and community leasing space for Greg's more charitable works in the area, along with staff space for all internal businesses. The second floor is 2/3 the total floorplate. With the rest on the corner being 2 levels and full walled glass for great all day sun and exposure. They are still examining lighting options, but the landscaping looks great and allowances by the city were greatly seen onto the sidewalk for new trees, bike racks and planters. The Corner store project aims to give facade improvements to the whole area. I was hoping for 2nd floor office and 3rd floor residential, but it would have required underground parking. For this project as is, to meet city bylaw parking requirements of 30 spaces, it would have cost at least 2.5 million. There was found to be excessive street parking (and there is, I drive there to be booze almost daily during rush hour) and being built to the sidewalk allows 9 spaces in the back for employees (who park for the longest duration, not visitors). Mike Nickel said he'd die trying to get this through as it currently stands, and convince neighbours about perceived parking worries, but the majority are gung ho.

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    What's on the 2nd floor? Office, or Residential?
    Either way, great project. It would be awesome if this development spurs new investment in the other vacant corners here, and encourages owners of similar properties to redevelop and to included Retail space.
    Beer storage on the 2nd floor.

edit: Should have waited to read GenWhy's post, which goes into much better detail. haha.

C2E Posting Power

^I had heard they were putting the mechanical and storage for the brewery in the underground with the parking where it would be easier to keep cool? I take it that's not planned now?

^No underground parking anymore. So nope.

So Top Dawg's jack shack is going away too?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

^ If the community has its way. They f-ing detest its presence. Most of the league members want daycare space in the vacinity.

I'd rather C2E than work!

So ACME is moving across the street?

Dr. Zee is an awesome dude.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Intersection is so underdeveloped. Great to see!
    www.decl.org

ACME is a partner in this project, and will def be moving across the street into what seems like a larger space. When you walk into the main entrance one must walk through the Transcend Cafe and ACME "meat market" to get to the brewpub anchor tenant. So for ACME, the exposure is huge and with more casual walk-in traffic while retaining their mainly original location. The funny thing is that Greg, the dude putting it all together, is a vegetarian, and when people talk to him about how wonderful ACME is he's blown away.

This is such awesome news. We love ACME, my wife loves Transcend, and I know Greg a little tiny bit, but he seems like a really, really awesome guy. I can't wait to see this happen.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

I can't wait for him to name his beers, and I know he's going to connect it to the area - him being an awesome Edmontonian and all. I think he said he grew up near Ritchie?

Under the Trestle Lager, Ritchie Mill Pil, C&E Railway Amber, Lord Strat Porter, Bloody ACME Amber. During the presentation this was all I could think about and drunkenly wrote these all down.

I don't know if I've ever been through that intersection before. I'm excited to have a reason. There's something very smart about filling someone full of beer then sending them past a place that sells meat. I wonder if ACME will be providing the meat for the pub? That would seem to be an obvious relationship.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

You should definitely drive past there now. It's an intersection that screams "DO SOMETHING TO ME NOW," (or that could just be the voices heard from Top_Dawg's favorite hangout). The intersection used to house two gas stations at one time, so you have 1/2 of the area occupied by nothing (well, one of the buildings - the one where this is going to go - doesn't appear to be much), the other intersection is run-down and half empty, while the 4th has some activity, and needs a face lift.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

It's a great neighbourhood. This will be a great addition and draw to the area. I can't wait to check it out.

I used to live in this neighbourhood way back when. Had a lot of fun. The Gainers plant was still open then. Dating myself.

This plan makes me super jealous. I hope Strathearn reaps a similar reward if the Heights development ever gets a shovel in the ground.

I hope nothing happens to Ritchie Foods. They have the best slushy's in town.

Ah, finally found the website for the development:

http://www.ritchiemarket.ca/

For God's sake write to these people and tell them they're awesome!
    Last edited by GenWhy?; 27-01-2015 at 06:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post
    Only drawback is all the condescending jabronis gawking disapprovingly from the patio as Top_Dawg attempts to non chalantly saunter into his friendly neighborhood jack shack for some play time.
    You know, I personally feel that if more folks were open to a quick stop at a jack shack (I've never been myself, but I'm not against others going), a lot of the issues that arise at drinking holes would be... alleviated. I'm sure 95% of all fights break out because dude A buys some girl drinks, but then she's all over dude B. Dude A could still get the wrinkles pulled out around the corner in a sanctioned environment for $50 and be no worse for wear. Everyone goes home happy. Probably would cost him less too.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

^for real guys? C'mon. You've heard of this crazy thing called the Internet right?

Hey, sometimes DIY doesn't cut it. Dawg clearly likes paws all over him, not his own mitts.

Job No 163317065-002
    To construct and operate a Commercial Use Development (General Retail Stores, Specialty Food Services, and Restaurant with outside patio); and to demolish an existing commercial building.
    Plan 4729S Blk 5 Lot 4
    9570 - 76 AVENUE NW
    Plan 4729S Blk 5 Lots 1-3
    9609 - 76 AVENUE NW
    Plan 8434ET Blk 32 Lots 31-33
    Applicant: GROUP2 ARCHITECTURE INTERIOR DESIGN LTD.
    Create Date: 1/29/2015 9:48:30 AM

^Yeah, man, he just emailed me two days ago and was sounding pretty damn excited. So stoked!

Oh, so this is both the NE and the SW corner that's going to be developed at the same time?

^He did mention a temporary parking lot on the SW corner, since it's still contaminated and waiting upon Shell's clean up. Due to cost, he is only 'developing' as we know it on the NE corner.

C2E Continued Contributor

I'm all in favor of this development but it will be a shame to lose the existing building.
    It's one of the last and best examples of gas stations from the early fifties. There used to be lots of gas stations very similar to this but they're nearly all gone now.
    It really is one of the last of it's kind in Edmonton.

Yesterday's CBC Edmonton's Radio Active has more details on the Richie development, including an interview with Greg Zeschuk.

http://www.cbc.ca/player/Radio/Local...ID/2651760807/

6:30 minutes in the podcast.

Also Liane Faulder in the Journal today: http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...urant-complex/

^Ha yeah read that myself today. Was almost word for word of my initial post almost a week ago, but now that things are moving.

C2E SME

So any renders available for this project yet?
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

I assure you all it looks good, but the renders I saw were to be revised slightly and were b&w. It looks good. Imagine a modern infill house done well in these parts.

I guess that judging from the lack of response to my post regarding the existing building, the idea of progress in Edmonton is to demolish a heritage building and replace it with a strip mall and a paved surface parking lot.
    A little bit about the existing building from the Canadian Encyclopedia:
    "porcelain enamel predominated in the 1940s and 1950s. This new gasoline station design followed closely the edicts of the new International Style of architecture championed by the Bauhaus School in Germany. Originating out of the depression of the 1930s, the highly successful oblong box design was erected in vast numbers during the 1940s and 1950s when, following the lean years of the Depression and wartime rationing, Canadians again took to the roads in force."
    http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.c...line-stations/
    Our history is more than lost buildings like the Teglar.
    How many people had their first job pumping gas at this station?
    Think of the classic cars that were serviced here.
    Wouldn't a re-purposed heritage building with the strip mall on the opposite (vacant) corner make more sense?
    Here is a link to the U.S. National Park Service regarding vintage service station restoration.
    http://www.nps.gov/tps/how-to-preser...s-stations.htm
    Last edited by ralph60; 05-02-2015 at 06:16 PM.

^There is no strip mall proposed. The owner bought this land as an investment on underutilized and decrepit land in a mature neighborhood to spur economic activity and promote good design. I'm not saying you're wrong or we should not think about the issues you bring up, but the building needs to also hold a repurposed element, positive investment opportunity, and community support. He's turning a uni-business parking lot and ex-service station into a four-business community orientated building with great street activity and urban design. Land costs money - lots of money - and the other lot is still contaminated until at least 2017 or longer. You're going from 1/5th of the lot or less to almost all land devoted to actual active business/public use.

I hear your argument, but in this case the car left the pump decades ago. I would like to hear a repurpose idea for a site like this and other gas stations like it though. There is still on like it on 99st. Pretty sure this is just painted wood. Walked by it today.
    Last edited by GenWhy?; 05-02-2015 at 06:25 PM.

The developer bought it to make money. Everything else is secondary window dressing.
    In every case of a heritage building being demolished, the justification is progress and economic development.
    The only difference here is that the developer has gone a little further in selling it.

I'm not really sure what you want, ralph60. Do you want someone to spend tons of money to save a building that offers very little to the community? Do you want someone to dismantle the building and then rebuild it somewhere else? I have to say, I think you're the only one that's upset about this project from what I've seen.

C2E Posting Power

And just because it's old, doesn't mean it's historical. It's not exactly a good looking building, even if it was to be restored for some reason.

C2E SME

Now I agree with ralph60 as well, and in regards to repurposing the building had done that with Stamp-a-doodle. (which by the way I'm wondering where they are going). Unfortunately for what is being proposed I do not see any way that this little building could be added to or renovated to incorporate it into a new development, the building is just too small. Also because the building is at the back of the lot any additions would have to be built in front of it which would essentially defeat the whole purpose of protecting the building since it would simply disappear behind the new development. We do need to preserve as much of our buildings that illustrate different architectural themes but something because of circumstances it become exceedingly difficult. As for the lot across the road, is it even available and how much does it cost if it is, in comparison to this lot. It's very easy to say that oh why don't they just build on that other lot. What if one lot is selling for $400 000 and has a building and another lot that is empty is selling for 1 million. I think the first lot will go first.

^He owns both lots but one is still contaminated from a former gas station with Shell is responsible for and nothing will happen for another 3 or 4 years due to that.

C2E SME

^well then that is a very significant factor too. Well maybe with luck they will be able to eventually create a nice little business section once the other property is suitable.

All of these arguements were used with the Teglar Building, the old Post Office, the Carnegie library etc.
    Look back on this discussion the next time you complain about the short sitedness of the city in the 70's and the loss of our heritage.
    My point isn't so much about this particular building. It would be nice to preserve but I understand the value of the new development. My point is about attitude, this forum is all for preservation and heritage until somebody dangles something shiny and new, then all bets are off.

I disagree. The buildings you mention are one-of-a-kind. This gas station isn't (as GenWhy? mentioned, there's another one on 99 st that's still being used as a gas station). The gas station isn't useful at all, and is a blight in a neighbourhood looking for renewal, on a prominent corner in the 'hood. This project has the ability to transform the neighbourhood, while keeping the gas station does nothing to help the community.

It's not about shiny and new but the overall design and community interaction and benefit to the community - on this particular project. He's turning a stripmall feel at this intersection to something that is more tight-knit to the sidewalk - and not to mention the features and his genuine good heartedness towards the community, design of building, and business involved.

To re-purpose a "heritage" gas/service station like this one is designed I would need a good example. I've seen some urban car servicing shops in urban areas converted to other uses, but their bones were more solid, square footage much larger, and they were right up to the street. I'd need a good example and idea that really benefits the community, that's all.

Met with the Facade Improvement Program and Cornerstore Program coordinators yesterday in regards to that whole corner. Possibly working with another client on that intersection. City and community league pushing to have existing building facades, landscaping renovated as well. Building owners are receptive. City trying to provide a means to a coordinated approach and remove any major stumbling blocks. They've been very helpful so far.
    www.decl.org

^super exciting for the whole Neighborhood. It's already special, but cleaning it up a bit will be amazing. Would be cool so see some city support with rebuilding of the sidewalks, maybe some nice lamps and a couple benches/garbage cans and bike racks etc.

That's the kind of plan the local BRZ wants to execute. It is, however, I believe beyond the scope of the pilot program... at least that's what Wai Tse, the senior planner of the program was telling me... not to mention that we both were frustrated that the pilot was only for 1 year and not the more reasonable 2 years for accurate stat collection and alteration of people behaviour.

Just wanted to reconfirm that the lot (former gas station) kitty corner from the Market's location is a park/parking lot to appease the community and temporary develop his other plot. Still aiming for late 2015 I guess.

Default Stamp-a-doodle finally coming down

Drove by today, hell of a difference as is. Community is really excited.

They had removed the exterior (tiles?) of the building a few weeks ago as well.

Metal clad for scrap, if I recall, for a very good price

Ahh, okay. I was at ACME today and they were hauling the debris away. ACME said it shouldn't be long before they start the actual building.

2 story building with storage above ground. Definitely quick to see finish. And Acme's building seemed to get a 1\2 building refresh. With the Corner Store program and facade grants.. This could be a nifty new corner for more pedestrian traffic and walkable routes

www.decl.org

C2E Posting Power

NE corner - the old Texaco lot?

^Correct.

And thanks Ian for the image. I haven't seen that (or one close to it anyway) for months. They were definitely excited fot lots of bicycle parking, shared patio space for pub and cafe, and new landscaping/sidewalks/furniture in conjunction with the "Four Corners" neighbourhood project.

As a refresher, the silver material is a kind of corrugated metal... an omage to the Gainers facility.

I would love to see stuff like this on 127 and 129 Ave in Calder.

www.decl.org

Same time as the Ken Greenberg talk at Epcor Tower. Hope my folks went at least. heard nothing but good news. Anyone here go?

Ritchie has seen a lot of infill over the last few years. Mostly just SFH, with some skinnies. Do you think that had something to do with this? More from the perspective that the people moving in to these infills tend to be younger and wealthier. They have the money and gumption to create something like this, but also have a lifestyle (and wallet) that would support businesses like these once open.

I think it has a lot to do with Greg having a vision (and money) to see this through, seeing a need for it in the community, and having support from the community. It's been such a neglected corner, and will draw people from the neighbourhood, as well as outside it, to support the businesses opening (or moving) there.

Well attended last night. Had a chance to meet Greg. Lots of good things going on with that corner if it all comes to fruition. Our firm is working on a facade improvement to the NW building (Blue Chair Cafe) owned by K&K Foodliner. Work should start in the spring.

Overall feedback seemed positive. City looking at doing a small pocket park on the corner with new streetlights.
    www.decl.org

^Great to hear things are pretty much going ahead as was first heard and talked about when Greg had his first public presentation. Can anything be mentioned as to a colour or material being used on the Blue Chair strip mall/apartments?

not far from this development

Job No 183033463-001
    Description: To construct a General Industrial Use building (brewery and warehouse).
    Plan 1524650 Blk 22 Lot 9A
    Applicant: GROUP2 ARCHITECTURE INTERIOR DESIGN LTD
    Create Date: 11/25/2015 3:37:55 PM

Quote Originally Posted by sonicboom View Post
    not far from this development
    Job No 183033463-001
    Description: To construct a General Industrial Use building (brewery and warehouse).
    Plan 1524650 Blk 22 Lot 9A
    Applicant: GROUP2 ARCHITECTURE INTERIOR DESIGN LTD
    Create Date: 11/25/2015 3:37:55 PM
    Street view:
    https://www.google.com.mx/maps/@53.5...8i6656!6m1!1e1

www.decl.org

Does not look like a brewery...just a strip mall.

^Those renderings are for the existing buildings across the street I believe?

That is not the Ritchie market

Quote Originally Posted by Channing View Post
    ^Those renderings are for the existing buildings across the street I believe?

That is not the Ritchie market
    Thanks Channing...my mistake for not scrolling down far enough. I was getting excited thinking it was a second brew pub - creating a neat little cluster of excitement in Richie lol. If it was it would drive up housing prices lol.

That's the old strip mall west from the new development. It's has apartments above. Kind of unique for Edmonton strip malls I think.

Looks like an excellent upgrade compared to what's there right now.

Now if only something could be done with the South-East corner...

Today:

163317065-013
    09-Feb-2016
    9562 - 76 AVENUE NW
    Plan 4729S Blk 5 Lot 4
    9570 - 76 AVENUE NW
    Plan 4729S Blk 5 Lots 1-3

To construct the footing and foundation only for a mixed use building. Restaurant with on site brewery, Retail Stores, and Offices.

CARLSON CONSTRUCTION

Today:

Today:

Today:

Today:

On Sunday:

Today:

Today:

Looking good!
    www.decl.org

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ffmf View Post
    Your link doesn't work, add.png to the end of the file name.

Can't wait to walk and check this place out.
    www.decl.org

Top_Dawg heard that Transcend Coffee will be opening up kitty-corner from this brew pub.
    Last edited by Top_Dawg; 29-06-2016 at 09:44 AM.

C2E SME

When all the work is completed, this could be a very nice little retail and service area.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post
    Top_Dawg heard that Transcend Coffee will be opening up kitty-corner from this brew pub.
    I'm pretty sure Transcend is supposed to be in the same building as the brew pub.

Yeah, you're right Gordo.

Even says so in the first post.

Sorry, Top_Dawg isn't into coffee shops.

Or brew pubs.

It's just something one of his cornholio neighbors in Mill Creek told him in passing.

And Top_Dawg understood it to be the other development.

No biggie.

Aiming for a Feb/March opening.
    www.decl.org

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
    Aiming for a Feb/March opening.
    No pics but the building is gonna have a massive presence on this corner. Riddle me this..... How come this place can sit as a Texaco for 3 decades and have no soil remediation take place for this building? Yet the old Esso on Whyte sits empty with vent stacks for 14 years before anything can happen?

C2E Posting Power

Because just because a gas station was there doesn't necessarily mean that gas leaked into the soil? It only needs to be remediated if there was actual contamination, not that I know if there was or not.

Also depends on what you are building on it, ie. residential = full remediation, commercial = not full.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Also depends on what you are building on it, ie. residential = full remediation, commercial = not full.
    Can depend on the owner/financer of the property too.

Yesterday:

Just took a tour of Acme's future home in the Ritchie Market. It's really getting exciting!
    -Corey Meyer
    https://twitter.com/coreythebutcher/...74329735319552

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast