Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ritchie Market | BrewPub & Business Collective | 2 Stories | Under Construction

I'd rather C2E than work!

@coreythebutcher:

And so begins Acme's last week in our old shop before closing for the move to #RitchieMarket. We've been in this location for 30+yrs!
    https://twitter.com/coreythebutcher/...99485838053376

C2E Hard Core Contributor

http://edmontonjournal.com/life/food...spring-opening

The long-anticipated Ritchie Market (9570 76 Ave.) will be open March 21, according to building owner Greg Zeschuk. But not all of the businesses to be housed within the south-side market will open at once.

First up are Transcend Coffee and Acme Meat Market, along with Creekside Cyclery. The brewery, Blind Enthusiasm Brewing Company, is scheduled to open at the end of April, along with a brewpub named Biera that features food by chef Christine Sanford. Justin Blais (formerly of Cafe Bicyclette) will run the front of house at Biera.
    “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

Transcend should do much better in a neighbourhood that has more Cayenne driving stay at home moms.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Yeah, Top_Dawg thinks this will be killer for them.

Anyone dropping by some for exterior pictures? Those of us that don't live local would love to see.

First One is Always Free

Yesterday:

C2E Long Term Contributor

Very impressive, looking forward to checking it out.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E Continued Contributor

Anyone have exterior pictures? I'd love to see it in person, but it may be a while before I get the opportunity.

First One is Always Free

Driving by today

Sexy lamps and street trees! My parents will love this being just east of the ravine. They are a good market for this joint (retired), and the new families in this area will really create a next-generation neighbourhood. As this neighbourhood and Bonnie Doon age, more street orientated developments and mixed use will go along way. Infill goals usually talk about residental but the other card is good retail development that attract that walkable neighbourhood alternative, with better more inclusive zoning... more diverse residential.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Wow. Looking good. Love it. Can't wait to check it out for beer. And sausage. Mmmm.

C2E Continued Contributor

Looks good, but could have done with a few more architectural accents if you ask me.

The interior grand opening photos today looked amazing.

https://twitter.com/cindurh
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Got a email from my parents saying they went for coffee there today, so did the rest of the community, they said. After 20 years in the area, they finally have something like this in a ten minute walk. Yes, 20 years... They love it to bits. A good sign of things to come.

Quote Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
    Got a email from my parents saying they went for coffee there today, so did the rest of the community, they said. After 20 years in the area, they finally have something like this in a ten minute walk. Yes, 20 years... They love it to bits. A good sign of things to come.
    Blue Chair Cafe has been across the street for about a decade, they serve coffee.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

True it's a restaurant, and we've been there a good few times for food and music, but I was referring to a cafe. A closess tie for a bar in the surrounding area would be Deveney's Pub by Fac St. Jean.

Actually both Time Out Pub and Brick and Whiskey are closer and Top_Dawg would prefer either one over Duggan's Boundary ( hasn't been called Devaney's for a while now ).

Drove past yesterday, looks great. Didn't have time to drop in but saw some interior shots online and looks fantastic. I love that all the businesses are joined and compliment each other.
    www.decl.org

^

Thanks for popping into Time Out and buying Top_Dawg a coupla beer.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post
    Actually both Time Out Pub and Brick and Whiskey are closer and Top_Dawg would prefer either one over Duggan's Boundary ( hasn't been called Devaney's for a while now ).
    Thanks TD, I didn't look at the name last time I was in last year, and when I'm in the Doon area Duggan's is off the path. My parents are in Avonmore, so the Thirsty Camel (old Polar Pub) was the closest at about 10-15 min walk and it is definitely not their type of place, but I think new owners have done well recently? Time Out is a local fav. of mine but that's 20-30 min walk away and across the Ravine, while Brick and Whiskey just opened so I have no idea on it yet, but that would be about 15 minutes from them. All this notes to a maturing and changing area with new tastes/owners/establishments. Blind Enthusiasm would be about a 7 minute walk over along the Ravine path and is more their "character". This bodes well more a community that is changing and will see more development and retiring baby boomers like my folks that would't frequent a Time Out Pub but want something to walk to.

Also to note Chistenson Developments large scale renewal of the apartments in Hazeldean. This will be a huge boost of people to the area. 76ave bike route maybe too?

^^

Yeah, Top_Dawg hears ya but there is more to it than your parents probly told you.

Their reluctance is still a holdover from the three decade cold war between the two communities.

Avonmorons are not exactly welcome in Hazeldean.

Quote Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
    Sexy lamps and street trees! My parents will love this being just east of the ravine. They are a good market for this joint (retired), and the new families in this area will really create a next-generation neighbourhood. As this neighbourhood and Bonnie Doon age, more street orientated developments and mixed use will go along way. Infill goals usually talk about residental but the other card is good retail development that attract that walkable neighbourhood alternative, with better more inclusive zoning... more diverse residential.
    I think it's a great addition in many ways. But are retirees going to be spending 6.25 on a matcha latte? The target market and the likely customer is in the 30-45 range, same people that are living in all the new infills in the area.

Beer and food part maybe. I know my folks aren't the latte types, and they're your average blue collar 50+ Edmontonian. At the Ritchie community events and hall meetings I do suggest a good amount of visitors are the new families I mentioned.

Finally, the Ritchie Market has opened. And so far it is awesome to have this new space in the neighbourhood. I have started to stop in for a coffee before making my way downtown via bus to work. Also stopped in on Saturday and the place was hopping. Will be great when Biera and Blind Enthusiasm open. The two block walk is perfect to allow for post-work drinks.

As there been any remediation done on the southwest corner lot of this intersection? I'm wondering what future plans are for there, if any.

Nope, nothing. Short term - parking lot. Longer term... unknown at this time.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...bell-1.4243978

If you're looking for burgers and chicken wings at Biera, the restaurant inside Blind Enthusiasm brewpub, walk on by. You're not going to find them here.
    What you will find is inventive, exquisitely prepared food made with fresh, high-quality ingredients.

Culina Mill Creek alumnus Christine Sandford is asking you to open your mind, trust with your heart, and allow her to introduce you to foods influenced by her Prairie upbringing and European wanderings.

Those wanderings include holding the chef position at In de Wulf, a Michelin-starred restaurant in Belgium, and acting as chef de partie in its offshoot, De Superette, in Gent.
    The Belgian influence is widely apparent at Biera.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Stopped by for a latte at Transcend and a pie from the Acme Meat Market. Prices too high for me on a regular basis. They both seemed to be taking advantage of a certain manufactured trendy caché.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Definitely an over priced butcher there.

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
    So is the food at the Blind Enthusiam pub. Beer is good but the food is outrageously priced. My wife and I stopped in for a beer and a few apps last week. Bill was over $80. Not going back

I've heard the same. Is the food at least good enough to make the trek worth it to cross it off the list?
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Sounds way too pretentious for Top_Dawg.

He'll just continue goin' down the road to the ol' Time Out.

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    I've heard the same. Is the food at least good enough to make the trek worth it to cross it off the list?
    Food is tasty, but portions are small - and as I stated earlier overpriced...

Sounds like the going rate for a new establishment, price-wise, across the country.

When we biked over the check it out, several people were a bit shocked that Acme meats was closed on sundays. Didn't plan ahead I guess.

It was certainly a busy intersection. Lots of people around the stores and driving by to check it out.

https://twitter.com/tomatofooddrink/...95725259616256

Mary Bailey‏ @tomatofooddrink
    Ritchie Market Grand Opening Sept23! @BlindEnthusiasm @Biera_YEG @transcendcoffee
    @acmemeatmarket @b_spokecycle #yegfood #yegbeer
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Well this place appears to be a great success.

Top_Dawg looked in on his way to Time Out last night and it was packed.

If any C2Eers have visited recently, Top_Dawg would like to hear their reviews.

I took my folks there, and as they showed me the menu online I exclaimed, "wow, this is very 'urban'... something I'd see in Van or Montreal". It's just... not upscale but it's definitely different for Edmonton, neither good or bad. They were very willing to try.

Even though I get out a lot and travel, all three of us needed a run-down and full explanation of the menu by a very good, patient, and thorough staff member. I really appreciated her interaction with us to explain to us and my "semi-cultured" blue collar parents, which was almost embarrassing if it wasn't for their genuine curiosity to understand and ask good questions. It was bordering on being pretentious, but just barely wasn't. Right amounts of classy, relaxed, smart food and menu.. yadda yadda.

The food was really great. We tried lots of neat combinations that they created on the menu and some was weird but it was good to try some for the first time, kinda thing.

If you don't want food, you can saddle up to the bar or in the summer sit on a great patio.

Saying that, the beer was great. We did a few flights and tried almost all the beer. We walked there so the whole experience was great.

I'd hit up Time Out Pub on the regular with friends, but the beers were great an the patio will be great.

^ Glad you enjoyed your experience, but can I ask how much you dropped for your adventure? As I said back in August, a latte and a pie were the warning shots across my bow. Haven't been back there since.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by ridgeman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
    So is the food at the Blind Enthusiam pub. Beer is good but the food is outrageously priced. My wife and I stopped in for a beer and a few apps last week. Bill was over $80. Not going back
    So as I posted in August, the beer was good but the food is overpriced. We haven't been back

It was not a place I would go to every week. The price expressed the experience. I enjoyed it for what it was. If you want low priced food then why bother. It's like if you only travel on low-cost flights. You're limited. I paid a little bit to get something different. And it's not an overpriced butcher. It's a great butcher and they are not short of business.

Top_Dawg might have to trade his rubber boots for prancer shoes and try it out.

Once.

Sometime this year.

By the sounds of it - no rush.

Thanks all for your reviews.

It's good to try once. The food anyway. My parents have opted to sit at the bar, now that they know you can and it's not seating only. I wore my big leather boots and workshop jacket, Dawg, so you'll be fine.

I've been thinking of taking my Mom there since she's lived in the neighbourhood forever, but with all those hard surfaces isn't it kinda noisy in there?
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

I was there last weekend, was very surprised at how busy it was. Very eclectic mix of people there which was good to see. It wasn't solely the 25-40 demographic but a lot of older people and families as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    I've been thinking of taking my Mom there since she's lived in the neighbourhood forever, but with all those hard surfaces isn't it kinda noisy in there?
    I'd go in the off hours. We did and It was reasonably good. My parents (60's) could have a convo in there at out table easily. Music isn't loud.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12