Thread: Sohi running for Liberals in Millwoods

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default Sohi running for Liberals in Millwoods

https://twitter.com/davecournoyer/st...41783700975616

Councillor @SohiAmarjeet announced today he's running for the Liberal nomination in #yeg-Mill Woods. #lpc #cdnpoli

“You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

stacey brotzel ‏@staceybrotzel
    #yeg councillor @SohiAmarjeet is going federal. Says he'll run for Liberal nomination in Edm Millwoods. Will go on unpaid lv during elxn
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

As a longtime resident of Millwoods thank heavens.

Not only do we no longer get Sohi representing us but he's sure to be finished what with running for the Federal Liberals.

Sohi's legacy is an odd one. Basically delivered on very little of what was in his platforms and jumped ship on other ones voting for key issues he promised to vote against.

Meadows Rec Center would be the one major legacy that occurred within his lengthy incumbency. That and ever more convuluted public transit that has only gotten worse in this area and an indescribably stupid location for a new transit Center in the middle of nowhere. Meaning many people end up going east to the edge of town to Meadows Transit Center before going enroute anywhere else. This occurring while a former bus driver was sitting in council representing this very area. You'd expect the one thing he could have some astute say on is sensible ETS routing. I guess not.

Anyway Sohi just had no place in City council one his lap dog to Mandel role was done.

rant done,

maybe
    Last edited by Replacement; 28-01-2015 at 07:52 AM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

He would have been Mayor if Iveson had not been there...

Great move for Amarjeet, really like the guy.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E Hard Core Contributor

This should be a very interesting, if not exciting, race. This area used to send Liberal David Kilgour to Ottawa for many years, and redistricting has cut out the exurban areas of the riding.

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Not only do we no longer get Sohi representing us but he's sure to be finished what with running for the Federal Liberals.
    He's taking an unpaid leave from his council duties during the election, but it seems pretty clear that he'll retain his council seat if he loses the federal election:

Sohi was first elected to council in 2007 and has been a resident of Mill Woods for 35 years. He said he will take an unpaid leave during the election and quit the council seat he has occupied for seven years if he wins.

Great move for Sohi. I know he had more aspirations than just being a Councillor. I think he'd make a fine representative for Edmonton.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    He's taking an unpaid leave from his council duties during the election, but it seems pretty clear that he'll retain his council seat if he loses the federal election:

Sohi was first elected to council in 2007 and has been a resident of Mill Woods for 35 years. He said he will take an unpaid leave during the election and quit the council seat he has occupied for seven years if he wins.
    Oh crap. That wasn't in the original twitter release. Is there a precedent for a politician retaining incumbency while running for different office? I understand he's taking unpaid leave, which is reasonable, but making the decision to run federally, and then invest in that, and then comeback to council as a fallback seems cheesy.

Leaves Millwoods without representation not that it would be easy to note the difference..
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

He is very well informed about some of the issues faced by cities. He will be an asset to the federal Liberals.

Entirely normal when municipal polititions move up or try too.

Figured I'd mention as well now with the Valley Line LRT likely scrubbed that Sohi's legacy will now be having voted for public funding of a downtown arena he was diametrically opposed to in every campaign he had run and that he promised to vote against.

Not only did he lie about that, but his legacy is now not having improved public transit in Millwoods one iota. Which was has main missive.

Absolute fail as a city councillor by not delivering on promised mandate and going against his campaign vows.

As far as representation this would be the worst possible performance by any city hall incumbent.

C2E Continued Contributor

I really wish Sohi all the best, and hope he does become the Federal rep for Edmonton/Millwoods if Liberals win.
    He's awesome
    The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes then steal your dreams.
    It's heaven and hell!

Figured I'd mention as well now with the Valley Line LRT likely scrubbed that Sohi's legacy will now be having voted for public funding of a downtown arena he was diametrically opposed to in every campaign he had run and that he promised to vote against.

Not only did he lie about that, but his legacy is now not having improved public transit in Millwoods one iota. Which was has main missive.

Absolute fail as a city councillor by not delivering on promised mandate and going against his campaign vows.

As far as representation this would be the worst possible performance by any city hall incumbent.
    I'm sure I will regret this, but you are saying the Valley Line is "likely scrubbed" based on what exactly? A hunch?

That is laughable. As someone who listens to council meetings occasionally, I can say he is one of the most knowledgeable and insightful councillors. Have you ever taken the opportunity to listen in on council and committee meetings? They are all available online.

Quote Originally Posted by AAAAE View Post

That is laughable. As someone who listens to council meetings occasionally, I can say he is one of the most knowledgeable and insightful councillors. Have you ever taken the opportunity to listen in on council and committee meetings? They are all available online.
    Yeah I have. I've spoke to Sohi as well and questioned his about face change on his public funding of arena stance. I've called his office several times for clarification. Everything I got was unsatisfactory. This guy won election on a ticket of bringing improved public transit and better amenities to a working class area. What we got instead is worse public transit, another inexplicable transit station in Meadows at the edge of town, and more circuitous bus routes that go nowhere quick and no LRT.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinW View Post

I'm sure I will regret this, but you are saying the Valley Line is "likely scrubbed" based on what exactly? A hunch?
    Why wouldn't I be worried. Understand that as a frustrated Millwoods resident, living in an area that was promised lrt since the 1970's that I would be skeptical hearing this again last week;

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...arns-1.2940526

Looks like Sohi's nomination is being challenged:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...rals-1.2952730

I'd rather C2E than work!

I seem to remember the Liberals saying that Harper had a "democratic deficit" for doing the exact same thing. In my opinion there shouldn't be appointed candidates, they should be elected by the association or acclaimed if no one runs against them.

Varinder Bhullar seeks injuction after being denied chance to run for Liberals

^All candidates, Conservative or Liberal, need to be approved by the party. He was not. No idea why, but when that happened, Sohi was convinced to run. Not before. I know that for a fact.
    Last edited by GreenSPACE; 11-02-2015 at 11:36 AM.
    www.decl.org

I'd rather C2E than work!

Fine, however if Bhullar was offered another riding or as president of another association that tells me he fit within the party's political guidelines. I can't imagine Jason Kenney or Derek Fildebrandt ever being acceptable to Green, Liberal or NDP for example. Now if he fit within their political focus this tells me the problems are they wanted a higher profile candidate rather than Bhullar.

^Yes, probably they wanted someone higher profile, or with more political experience because they feel it's a winnable riding. Nothing wrong with that. Sohi was greenlighted for the nomination, not chosen yet.
    Last edited by GreenSPACE; 11-02-2015 at 12:06 PM.
    www.decl.org

Remarkable story on Sohi's imprisonment in India under (bogus) terrorism charges in the '80s here -- I had no idea he went through that: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...912/story.html

^Very interesting read. Sohi may win the riding but his boss (Trudeau) will not win the Prime Ministers seat.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

^ And...how would you know?
    The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes then steal your dreams.
    It's heaven and hell!

^Secret

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    Looks like Sohi's nomination is being challenged:

Dirty politics.

Bhuller has been a respected liberal for 20yrs. Suddenly according to the liberal party he's not an "appropriate" candidate because the riding had been shortlisted for Sohi. Really ridiculous skullduggery and for nothing as well as the electorate would have to be absent minded to vote for Sohi after his stint on city council. Not like a liberal is getting in anyway but a sordid affair nonetheless.

its funny that the only people that like Sohi as a candidate likely haven't had any significant dealings with him. I would advise voting for any other candidate.

I'll be clear here. I wouldn't believe anything this man had to say at this point. But as a voter in Millwoods well aware of his past campaign promises I'm not sure why I would believe anything. The guys says whatever he feels is politically expedient at the time. Which has nothing to do with representative democracy.

Just a reminder of what kind of liar this guy is.

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...5751a3c&k=1272

"I do not support the building of a downtown arena and I don't see city council playing any role in this"

This a pledge he made in his campaign platform that was repeated often. When I asked about it he lied and I had to remind him exactly what he had previously said on the issue.

Sohi went from an ardent anti arena stance to outright supporting the arena and speaking out on its behalf. If ever there was a 360. Still wondering why.
    Last edited by Replacement; 15-02-2015 at 11:16 AM.

By this article it seems that there is a lot of behind the scenes skullduggery going on.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/02...n_6591726.html

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    By this article it seems that there is a lot of behind the scenes skullduggery going on.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/02...n_6591726.html
    The most astute observation;

"Bhullar believes the party manufactured a reason to kick him out of the contest after he refused to step aside."

lol at Sohi denying any recognition of stating he would give support to Bhullar in the nomination.

Sohi once again does an about face from saying he wasn't going to be running for the liberals to changing his mind. What else is new?

I know who I believe.

"I don't know Bhullar, who the heck is he?"

That's enough reason to have Sochi run, but I wonder why Sochi kept his past secret from the media until now...
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasH View Post
    "I don't know Bhullar, who the heck is he?"

That's enough reason to have Sochi run, but I wonder why Sochi kept his past secret from the media until now...
    Well it helps to be named after an Olympics..

LMAO!!!! Oops!
    Edmonton first, everything else second.