Thread: John Baird to resign as foreign affairs minister

I'd rather C2E than work!

Default John Baird to resign as foreign affairs minister

Foreign Affairs Minister John Baird will resign from his position in the Harper cabinet as early as Tuesday, CBC News has learned.

Sources say that Baird, who has served in several of the highest portfolios in Prime Minister Stephen Harper's cabinet, has told members of his staff that he won't run again and will be resigning this week

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/john...-say-1.2940699
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Interesting. And strange. Someone must be offering mister Baird a lot of money to do something else cause he certainly holds a lot of power and prestige for someone as young as he is. I always expected him to eventually run for leadership of the party once Harper finally leaves.

C2E Long Term Contributor

I'm putting money down that he's going to run for the Wildrose leadership

Edit: disregard, was confusing him with Jason Kenney.
    Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 02-02-2015 at 10:30 PM.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Realized that The Gay will eventually, formally come out in a leadership campaign, and the party just isn't ready to take that step, so is either taking an new career opportunity now or setting himself up for one. So many opportunities for someone who has achieved that level of international expertise where one's personal life won't be picked through by the smallest-minded backwoods constituents of a party predisposed to such practise.
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

^i don't think john being a queer had anything to do with this. Harper isn't going anywhere anytime soon. In 10 years time nobody will care. Most people already don't. Most of the old folks who disapprove are finally starting to die off. John is still young and is in a position to do whatever he wants and get along quite well as he gets older. Lucky guy.

I like what he does with his job as foreign minister.
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

He got hassled a lot on that last trip to the Mideast, maybe helped him come to his senses.

He's a despicable loudmouth who only gets respect because the bar is so low in Harper's cabinet.

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    ^i don't think john being a queer had anything to do with this. Harper isn't going anywhere anytime soon. In 10 years time nobody will care. Most people already don't. Most of the old folks who disapprove are finally starting to die off. John is still young and is in a position to do whatever he wants and get along quite well as he gets older. Lucky guy.
    I don't see the fully post-'caring about it' world upon us as you do, a decade is a decade, and I still think there's room for it to be a factor. Much less so for those who have been out from the get-go but it's different for those who still have to take that formal step.

Then there's Kinney...
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    He got hassled a lot on that last trip to the Mideast, maybe helped him come to his senses.
    Can you expand on this? I didn't hear anything abut him being hassled. I'd sincerely like to know more.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Baird will be remembered for selling off the vast majority of Canada's official residences around the world, and moving ambassadors to rented apartments.

It is a story that doesn't get much airplay but Canada used to own many historic mansions in old prestigious neighborhoods of world capitals. Now this diplomatic tool has been whittled away along with the rest of the foreign service. Ambassadors are to host events in their apartments.

^now that is shameful. Sell it off for a few one time $$$, gone forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Dialog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Can you expand on this? I didn't hear anything abut him being hassled. I'd sincerely like to know more.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/john...bank-1.2916979
    Support the mob or mysteriously disappear...

I always loved him during QP. I wish him well

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    Harper isn't going anywhere anytime soon.
    Depending on how the election goes this fall, Harper might well be out the door by winter.

... the smallest-minded backwoods constituents of a party predisposed to such practise.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post
    ... the smallest-minded backwoods constituents of a party predisposed to such practise.
    TD, do you look something like Archie Bunker? I envision you as looking like the character a bit, given your viewpoints.

From IMDB

Well All in the Family is Top_Dawg's favorite TV show of all time.

The Jeffersons and Sanford and Son rank among the highest as well.

My guess is that Baird has been offered a better gig somewhere else - possibly an International position.

He was our government's "big fat party guy", which I think was the perfect choice for foreign affairs minister.

Couldn't be happier to see him go. Canada's international reputation has gone to rubble underneath Baird.

Not a big fan of Baird either. There are a few others that should follow his lead.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Barid's leaving now because he'll qualify for a full pension at 55. If he runs and wins in 2015 he'll have to wait until he's 65.

However, Fife reports that Baird is currently in a position to collect a $100,000-plus pension when he reaches 55 years of age. Under new MP pension rules, if Baird had sought re-election again this year, he wouldn’t be able to collect that sum until age 65.

Read more: http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/forei...#ixzz3QinZB6tX

And to Top_Dawg's recollection Baird served two terms as a cabinet minister in the Ontario leg before switching to federal.

So he'll be getting another fat pension for that as well.

Yes they sure know how to line their pockets.