Thread: Why keep using YEG?

Default Why keep using YEG?

Misconceptions: Calling Edmonton YEG. Bad marketing practice, doesn't nothing for brand name recognition outside of Edmonton, and no, most other cities aren't using outside of Twitter either.

{ADMIN EDIT} this comes from http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...d=1#post658357 {edit}
    Last edited by Medwards; 06-02-2015 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Link back to thread

I'd rather C2E than work!

I concur, every time I see YEG, in my mind I say yucky egg

Depends. Too bad we start all our airport codes with Y - pretty limiting.

But Los Angeles sure uses LAX, you can bet on that. Vancouver makes pretty broad use of YVR too.

But true, Toronto doesn't use YYZ because - like YEG - it bears no semblence to the actual city name.
    ... gobsmacked

yeg
    The sound one makes while falling to the ground after being surprised by being kicked in the back of the knee.
    Yeg
    This word is used to describe anything that is below the expected standard.
    http://goo.gl/twwJBp

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    yeg
    The sound one makes while falling to the ground after being surprised by being kicked in the back of the knee.
    Yeg
    This word is used to describe anything that is below the expected standard.
    http://goo.gl/twwJBp
    Comeon, you're picking some of the lowest rated 'definitions' from Urban dictionary.
    If you want to continue with the hipster vibe and going off urban dictionary, it also means 'Yes' and 'Your legs'.

Also makes me think of that crappy club across from Rexall.

If the horse was dead we wouldn't be discussing it. Unfortunately the twitterati seem to think the airport code is the city's name.

*** Deleted this comment, as it makes no sense outside the context of the thread it was originally posted in ***
    Last edited by bulliver; 07-02-2015 at 04:02 PM.
    Support the mob or mysteriously disappear...

Bulliver it isn't you that popularized the trend but Twitter. I realize that IATA airport codes are unique to every airport and some places and industries use them as an abbreviation or shorthand.

One argument against using this is the perception of air travel as "shiny and new" which goes against the purpose of your group which is historical preservation. Ye Olde Cafe Group would be more congruent with the purpose, although perhaps it is a bit trite or over the top of a name.

Another advantage is alphabetical, Edmonton typically would appear before YEG.

PS: I do like your photographic style, keep up the good work and for the most part am in support of historical preservation. Edmonton has lost too many good buildings over the years, I like the direction that the Glenora B&B and Kelly Ramsey projects are taking.
    Last edited by sundance; 06-02-2015 at 09:40 AM.

grish

Quote Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
    Depends. Too bad we start all our airport codes with Y - pretty limiting.

But Los Angeles sure uses LAX, you can bet on that. Vancouver makes pretty broad use of YVR too.

But true, Toronto doesn't use YYZ because - like YEG - it bears no semblence to the actual city name.
    Just saw a guy with YYZ on his hat. Knew exactly what it meant–a proud Torontonian.

^^ Or a Rush fan?
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

grish

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    ^^ Or a Rush fan?
    You be the judge: https://www.google.ca/search?q=yyz+h...2&ved=0CCMQsAQ

Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Quote Originally Posted by grish View Post
    ^^ Or a Rush fan?
    You be the judge: https://www.google.ca/search?q=yyz+h...2&ved=0CCMQsAQ
    I changed one of the terms in your search.
    https://www.google.ca/search?q=yyz+h...isch&q=yeg+hat

grish

Thank you. Makes for an interesting comparison:
    https://www.google.ca/search?q=yeg+s...&q=toronto+hat
    VS
    https://www.google.ca/search?q=yyz+h...q=edmonton+hat

When searching for actual city name, you get the sports clubs (nearly exclusively).
    When searching for airport codes, you get either the actual logos on clothes (Toronto) or references to city life.

In some ways, then, the airport codes are more representative of the place than the actual name.

So it seems that there is a business case to produce hats with YEG on it.

I like the YEG moniker and, of course, because I live here I can relate to it. I think what could be done is incorporate it into the EIA ad campaign. Maybe a slogan.
    Your Edmonton Gateway to the North. YEG. Maybe that would work.
    I have conversed with the worst kind of hectoring, bully pulpit smart-a**e*; dripping with virtuous self-aggrandizing sanctimony.................. and that's just on this forum.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Not sure why YEG bothers so many people.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Yeah, in the scheme of things when people are getting maimed, murdered, bombed etc. around the world it's pretty petty.
    I have conversed with the worst kind of hectoring, bully pulpit smart-a**e*; dripping with virtuous self-aggrandizing sanctimony.................. and that's just on this forum.

Yeg yeg yeg yeg yeg! I love it!! So hip! So cool! So edgy! And i know this isnt a trend. YEG is here to stay forever!!!!
    FREE THE LOOPING .GIF MEMES
    youtube.com/GrimEmpire

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Not sure why YEG bothers so many people.
    This from the guy who has a coronary over downtown vs Downtown.

Different people get riled up over different things, especially when they feel a personal connection, or base part of their personal identity, or otherwise have an attachment with a specific place or a name.

People are rarely rational creatures.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Fun fact:

The airfield at the Edmonton Garrison (Namao) was second after Blatchford Field. Blatchford was assigned YXD. Namao was assigned YED. Then came the International. YED was taken. So it was given YEG.

I don't think I often use "YEG" outside the aviation context, but it doesn't bother me if people do. It's maybe the only pronounceable airport code among the major cities other than YUL, but somehow makes much more sense than YUL. I find the codes where you just have to spell each letter less fliud (i.e., how do you pronounce "YYZ"), but if and only if on twitter it makes sense to use. "YEG"s handy pronounceability I do think makes it understandable and unpretentious in a wider City reference.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

Quote Originally Posted by Komrade View Post
    Yeg yeg yeg yeg yeg! I love it!! So hip! So cool! So edgy! And i know this isnt a trend. YEG is here to stay forever!!!!

Top_Dawg hopes you are joking.

Because it isn't any of these.

It's just plain stupid.

Bubbles' version in TPB's ' Closer to the Heart ' is pretty epic too.

I disagree Top Dawg. But because you are old I understand you havent the slightest clue what hip, cool or edgy is.
    youtube.com/GrimEmpire

#YEG has its place in twitter. The reason it was adopted as #edmonton hashtag because of character limits in twitter posts.

My problem with its use outside of twitter is that its not a very search friendly term (as are most 3 letter words/acronyms). It does nothing to build our brand. I've yet to visit another city that uses its twitter hashtag/airport code so heavily in everything outside of aviation.

compare it to results of actually using the citys name instead...

grish

The word "Edmonton" is first in both. Close enough. All that is needed in a search.

YEG is a passive form of advertising. It's not in your face but is subtlety just there. The first time I ever went on an airplane trip and got my cases tagged with a YEG sticker I always remember that YEG ticket. Even if I heard or read an article about the airport YEG popped into my mind.

Google YEG Events... it's that easy. Small businesses, entrepreneurs, and event trying to spur a paradigm shift in Edmonton in regards to how we interact and live in our city year-round use YEG.

If you don't like it, that's cool, but those that do find it very empowering and brings civic pride in what they are doing. It's not like when we go abroad or to Montreal or Vancouver and someone asks where we are from we say, "yeg... you know... YEG?" We still say Ed-mun-tin".

Bamboo Ballroom has a big sign that says I LOVE YEG, and other businesses have similar ad tactics to display local love and sense of activity and involvement. It's just a thing people do. Like going to an Oilers hockey game to see them lose. It's just a thing people do in business or for events 'n' what not.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

How many Edmonton's are in there in the world?. How many YEG's are in the world?.
    Although YEG will never replace Edmonton, Alberta it's not a bad thing if people recognize the YEG moniker as belonging to Edmonton.

Some people have really nothing better to do in life than nitpick and complain about issues that are non issues. So I can see why YEG infuriates them. They got nothing else to complain about!
    youtube.com/GrimEmpire

Seinfeld show in the making. Watch it and you're wondering what it was all about.

Dirt City is a way cooler moniker than YEG.

Quote Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
    If you don't like it, that's cool, but those that do find it very empowering and brings civic pride in what they are doing.

Hoo boy.

Somebody's been smokin' the whacky.

^Whole-lotta Love This City and Make It Better kind-a-wacky-tabaccy.

Thanks, Dawg. Like I said... it's okay if you don't like it. Did I mention we like gays, craft beer, facial hair, showering, and cycling? Couldn't resist myself.

I don't mind YEG...actually...I like it.

And it's more unique than Edmonton. There's an Edmonton, Kentucky...apparently there's also an Edmonton Area somewhere in London, England.

This happens 50% of the time when I'm traveling people ask me where in Canada I'm from, I tell them "Edmonton" they ask me "where?", I tell them Alberta, they're like "huh?", usually I give up and tell them somewhere in the province next to Vancouver or alternatively north of Montana if I'm in the US

EDIT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmonto...ambiguation%29

(There's apparently an Edmonton in Aussie too)

I don't see this as a bad marketing practice, its associative marketing. The association needs to be created first and that's what I'm seeing here. As it builds between YEG and Edmonton, YEG becomes more usable marketing this city and acronyms are much more impacting then words IMO

Will it be successful? Time will tell!

Quote Originally Posted by Meo View Post

And it's more unique than Edmonton. There's an Edmonton, Kentucky...apparently there's also an Edmonton Area somewhere in London, England.

This happens 50% of the time when I'm traveling people ask me where in Canada I'm from, I tell them "Edmonton" they ask me "where?", I tell them Alberta, they're like "huh?", usually I give up and tell them somewhere in the province next to Vancouver or alternatively north of Montana if I'm in the US

EDIT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmonto...ambiguation%29

(There's apparently an Edmonton in Aussie too)
    LOL!

Yup, Edmonton, after which this city is named, is a gritty (out of kindness) suburb in north London, England.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

C2E Super Addict

I disagree Top Dawg. But because you are old I understand you havent the slightest clue what hip, cool or edgy is.
    I once made the mistake of perusing a few of your rather quaint ditties on Youtube, it appears neither have you.
    "The only really positive thing one could say about Vancouver is, it’s not the rest of Canada." Oink (britishexpats.com)

Yup, Edmonton, after which this city is named, is a gritty (out of kindness) suburb in north London, England.
    Ah, Edmonton, North London - had the "pleasure" of cycling through there once - avoiding the local boy racers in their souped-up cars.

Also the location of the "ĎKEA Riots" - when a new branch of IKEA opened once, the locals were a bit "rowdy"on the opening night (fighting over bargains etc.)

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Ha...I love this.

#YEG in twitter...fine. 140 characters...get it...

YEG in everything Edmonton...no. Is it hip, edgy, or cool, NO. Neither is twitter...

Maybe it is because I lived in the aviation world, the IATA/IACO codes were for the airport. Using these in conversation with non aviation folks got you laughed at...edgy indeed....more like sarcasm or derision.

Does it bother me...outside of being absolutely lazy marketing and knowing the genesis of it in twitter...nah. I don't use it. Refuse to use it. Will not use it...outside twitter and/or when I am actually talking about CYEG....other than that...it is Edmonton.

Like our sisters and brothers to the south, CALGARY has a couple other namesakes...and they don't give a tinker's darn...

Ottawa...better watch out...one namesake is nearby in Illinois.

Vancouver...yours is oh so close...in Washington...

Warburg AB...watch out...Warburg Germany is on the warpath...they are getting confused tourists wondering why Thorsby isn't nearby!

Personal preference. I prefer Edmonton. Outside of actually being in Kentucky...or someone from Kentucky...not a problem. The bigger problem is explaining it isn't -40 all year, Gretzky left, and the big mall is not all...
    Since calm logic doesn't work, I guess it is time to employ sarcasm. ...and before you call me an a-hole...remember, I am a Dick.

I don't mind the YEG thing for twitter purposes, but why does the airport refuse to use it and use "EIA" instead? In fact, I challenge you to find YEG mentioned anywhere on the Edmonton International Airport website. Many airports in Canada use the airport code right in the domain name:

http://yvr.ca
    http://yyc.com
    http://yqr.ca
    http://yxe.ca
    http://yow.ca
    http://flyymm.com
    etc.

Even others who don't use the airport code right in the site address mention the airport code all over the place:

http://www.victoriaairport.com/
    http://hiaa.ca/
    http://www.aeroportdequebec.com/en/

Quote Originally Posted by Meo View Post

It's actually a former village which is now a north London suburb. I once told some UK folk music fans about the "Edmonton Folk Festival," and they were all: "where would you hold a folk festival in Edmonton--in the IKEA???"

(Count me among the YEG-likers, too, btw.)
    “It’s so beautiful. What sort of bird is that?”

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    I once made the mistake of perusing a few of your rather quaint ditties on Youtube, it appears neither have you.
    Ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    How would you know?

As mentioned the obvious problem with using YEG as branding is who is even aware of that tie in and association with Edmonton. Which would basically be the limited amount of people that use twitter in Edmonton as contrasted with the world potentially knowing about Edmonton and whats going on.

Seems so strange that a City trying to become more known, and building some "world class" arena and revitalizing is pawned off as YEG in promotions instead of maximizing exposure by using the actual name of the city.

To those supporting YEG its odd that the best known acronym associated with Edmonton is WEM. How many that support the YEG use would think using WEM would be a great idea? Even though more people worldwide would probably make that associated connection.

Medwards has stated the obvious here. Its simply an ineffective tag to use. Why do that? It just limits exposure. Its what you would do if you wanted to keep Edmonton a secret.

Thy name is Edmonton. Please use it.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

highlander

I dislike YEG as a general name for Edmonton just slightly less than i loathe Capital Region.

Why do that?
    Because it's cool! Hip! Edgy!

Lol
    Parkdale

Quote Originally Posted by AGD View Post
    I don't mind the YEG thing for twitter purposes, but why does the airport refuse to use it and use "EIA" instead? In fact, I challenge you to find YEG mentioned anywhere on the Edmonton International Airport website. Many airports in Canada use the airport code right in the domain name:

http://yvr.ca
    http://yyc.com
    http://yqr.ca
    http://yxe.ca
    http://yow.ca
    http://flyymm.com
    etc.

Even others who don't use the airport code right in the site address mention the airport code all over the place:

http://www.victoriaairport.com/
    http://hiaa.ca/
    http://www.aeroportdequebec.com/en/
    This. The one place where YEG is the most appropriate and it is nowhere to be found. Is the airport authority in some sort of pissing contest with whoever is currently squatting on the yeg.ca and yeg.com domains? I don't really care one way or the other about calling the city "YEG", but I refuse to call the airport "EIA".

I think I deserve a gold star for bringing expat out of posting retirement.

A shiny hip cool edgy yeg gold star
    youtube.com/GrimEmpire

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium48 View Post
    (...)Is the airport authority in some sort of pissing contest with whoever is currently squatting on the yeg.ca and yeg.com domains? I don't really care one way or the other about calling the city "YEG", but I refuse to call the airport "EIA".
    ...considering that CYEG and YEG .com/ca are gone...I wouldn't call it a pissing contest. The squatters pretty much only have one entity to sell to, and if it meant anything EIA could lobby InterNIC to have the squatters relinquish control.

...but that is telling...if the "trademark owner" is not worried about YEG...

...I still call it the International...maybe I'm just old....
    Since calm logic doesn't work, I guess it is time to employ sarcasm. ...and before you call me an a-hole...remember, I am a Dick.

C2E Super Addict

Occasionally lurk on here and get the odd chuckle out of the same old misery porn and circle jerks. Though to be honest, it's mainly a case of out of sight, out of mind, now that I'm in town so infrequently.

Peace out, as I belive you young, hip, cool, edgy, yegers say.
    "The only really positive thing one could say about Vancouver is, it’s not the rest of Canada." Oink (britishexpats.com)

BTW, as a qualified ol' fart meself, I took a look at one of your videos and, 'cool', 'hip', 'edgy' notwithstanding, I thought it was as good as any I'd seen elsewhere. It's not my preferred genre, but you guys have some talent. Go for it.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post

BTW, as a qualified ol' fart meself, I took a look at one of your videos and, 'cool', 'hip', 'edgy' notwithstanding, I thought it was as good as any I'd seen elsewhere. It's not my preferred genre, but you guys have some talent. Go for it.
    Thanks howie. Much appreciated

Till we meet again expat!
    youtube.com/GrimEmpire

I wonder seeing that Namao is essentially closed (very dumb, shortsighted decision), could they reallocate YED to the International Airport?

Perhaps we just like being compared to Iraq ...
    http://erbilairport.com/Main/Main.aspx

FYI: EIA isn't currently used as an IATA airport code

Watched CBC late news last night and saw that they use this YEG thing for the weather board. And even YYC for the Calgary weather.

Hey, the old Ceeb using it, eh? It must be cool. WOW!
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

Groovy!!!

Eve

Quote Originally Posted by sundance View Post
    I wonder seeing that Namao is essentially closed (very dumb, shortsighted decision), could they reallocate YED to the International Airport?
    Helicopters still use it if I am not mistaken.

I was at Southgate last week and noticed an ad on one of the monitors in the mall. "This is PHX" - an advertising campaign for Phoenix, AZ:

http://www.visitphoenix.com/index.aspx

Tons of use on Twitter as well, for the city, not the airport.
    Last edited by Gord Lacey; 14-02-2015 at 07:46 PM.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Perhaps we just like being compared to Iraq ...
    http://erbilairport.com/Main/Main.aspx
    I'm not using EIA anymore now that I read this. I would hate to end up there by accident. YEG it is from now on.

I always used to think that the Y in YEG was the airport code for Canada. After reading this
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...y_IATA_code:_M

I see it does not. To me it seems rather complicated but if a person works in that field it is probably not. Who knew the body that oversees these codes is in Montreal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interna...n_airport_code

I know someone a while back had mentioned the G stood for General when the airfield was first designed. Edmonton General aviation facility or something. I wish I could find the posting. I believe it may have been Thomas Hinderks that had mentioned it. Anyone?
    Last edited by Drumbones; 15-02-2015 at 03:29 AM.

To me, A-I-R-P-O-R-T stands for airport (sans hyphens for you purists). E-D-M-O-N-T-O-N stands for the city named Edmonton.

YEG? Well, that's what it says on my luggage tags.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

Your luggage tags are hipper, cooler and edgier than you are, howie.

Eve

To me, A-I-R-P-O-R-T stands for airport (sans hyphens for you purists). E-D-M-O-N-T-O-N stands for the city named Edmonton.

It's a good job you are not landing at San Jose Aposento Airport as their tags say APE

San Juan Aposento, Peru

^^
    ^^^
    lol!
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

San Jose Airport in California is SJC...

That's pretty much my view. It's like taking the postal code or phone number from some landmark and trying to define the whole city by it. Though such practices do work for TV serials and events (90210, 911, etc.).

San Jose Airport in California is SJC...
    and...the San Jose, Costa Rica airport is SJO, been there many times

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    ... Who knew the body that oversees these codes is in Montreal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interna...n_airport_code
    ICAO too - International Civil Aviation Organization
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interna...n_Organization

I keep seeing this yeg attached to everything, what does this mean, exactly?
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    http://bit.ly/1mh3NoS

^YEG, properly CYEG, is the international airport code for Edmonton International Airport. Because all Canadian airports start with C - the shortened YEG is accepted.

In the world of Twitter, with its 140 character limit, it also refers to the City of Edmonton, #YEG taking up only four character spaces versus nine for #Edmonton.
    ... gobsmacked

EDM would make more sense and be more readily understood by most.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Huh? To anyone outside of the grey hair brigade & the terminally unhip, EDM is electronic dance music.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=EDM

YEG is also the Young Entrepreneurs Group

terminally unhip... punny
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

EDM is also Edmonton.

YEG isn't recognizable to anyone outside of edmonton, and even most in edmonton, unless you are part of the twittersphere

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Yegs
    "YEG - This word is used to describe anything that is below the expected standard."

Arsenal has won the FA Cup quarter finals
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Not to overly conspicuously agree with SDM or anything, but yes actually, they have.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Yegs
    "YEG - This word is used to describe anything that is below the expected standard."
    Damn, it is...
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

this again, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Channing View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    http://bit.ly/1mh3NoS
    Interesting, the first hit is is the airports website, the second hit is the wiki for the airport, the third is twitter, the 5th 6th and 8th link are yegflightdeals, aircanada, westjet.

Might be more appropriate to use YXD if we are to use airport codes in this thread as this line will travel right through it.

When I was young, it seemed that life was so wonderful, a miracle, oh it was beautiful, magical. And all the birds in the trees, well they'd be singing so happily, joyfully, playfully watching me. But then they sent me away to teach me how to be sensible, logical, responsible, practical. And they showed me a world where I could be so dependable, clinical, intellectual, cynical.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Now watch what you say or theyll be calling you a radical,
    Liberal, fanatical, criminal.
    Wont you sign up your name, wed like to feel youre
    Acceptable, respecable, presentable, a vegtable!

yeg

That is super SDM.

The LRT opening must be soon, people are quoting Supertramp... but seriously, how has the new transit centre been operating with traffic flow and what-not in the new location?

Huh? To anyone outside of the grey hair brigade & the terminally unhip, EDM is electronic dance music.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=EDM
    HaHa! Cool link - hadn't seen that before. How unhip is that? Oh, and that's what I meant by "most". It's not the Electronic Dance Music crowd.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra