Thread: Comic Book Stores

Default Comic Book Stores

Hi,

My name is Jimmy. I will be moving to Edmonton from Winnipeg this May for school at Concordia. I was wondering which comic book stores are the best in offering a decent price for comics, have a subscription service and and offers overall good service (eg; able to order you back issues in time and keeping tabs on what titles you are reading). Thank you.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Happy Harbor is downtown and has a huge selection. Probably the best shop in town.
    http://www.happyharborcomics.com

Wizards is in Garneau near the U of A, a smaller place but good service and lean more towards independent publishers.
    http://wizards-comics.com/

There are other shops in town, but Happy Harbor and Wizards are the two best ones for sure.

A new shop called Variant Edition is coming soon from the former Wizard's manager and his wife. Not sure where, I hear it may be somewhere in Oliver.
    http://variantedmonton.com/
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I'd rather C2E than work!

I'd agree with SDM's advice. Those shops are also laid out well, and make things easy to find. Warp 1 is on Whyte Ave and 99 st, but it's a mess inside. Stuff piled all over, graphic novels in bags so you can't look at them; it's not a welcoming store at all.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

C2E Hard Core Contributor

So basically nothing has changed since it was Value Drug Mart.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Last I heard, Variant Edition was hoping for a spot someplace on 124th street. Not sure if that has changed.

Happy Harbour. Great staff - happy to do subscription service if you like.
    ... gobsmacked

Quote Originally Posted by amelanchier View Post
    Last I heard, Variant Edition was hoping for a spot someplace on 124th street. Not sure if that has changed.
    I wonder if they were looking at HH's original spot above the Shades of Grey boutique? In any case, as a new enterprise, lease rates will obviously be a major consideration for them.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

First One is Always Free

Happy Harbor https://twitter.com/HHComics best service and great selection. There are other good ones in town but they don't compare.

I've always gone to Warp 1 (Whyte Ave) or Warp 2 (97th street). They also have a third store in Millwoods Town Centre. You can get a membership.
    http://www.warpcomics.com/about.html

I've always despised Warp. I pretty much avoid for the reasons Gord Lacey mentioned in post #3.
    Not sure if Comic King is still around, they were just a few doors away from Warp 2 on the north side.

I used to go to Warp back in the late 80s, but found Lucky to be a bit of a douche. They always had the highest prices, but sometimes they had that one issue you really needed, so you paid it. I found out years later that Lucky's eyepatch was fake when I saw him on the street (after he sold Warp); I wanted to punch him.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

C2E SME

There is also Quantum Comics on the southside in the complex near Grey Nuns Hospital, that is where I go to get my stuff.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

^^ Back in the day I only went to Warp if I was hunting down a particular book. But the jacked-up prices (esp hot books on day of release) and douchey staff kept me away. The only person who made that place bearable was the lovely and awesome Stephanie.

My comic reserve file history:
    Amazing Stories - downstairs of downtown Wee Book Inn, is now the abandoned Sobey's space
    Comic King - closest shop that wasn't part of the Warp empire
    Wizards - followed John, who left Comic King to open this place. I hear he's now pulling away from the comics retailing business, so I have to decide whether to stay with Wizards or move to a shop closer to me (HH or Variant).

I'll throw in another good word for Happy Harbour. Great staff, selection, hosts Free Comic Book Day, has an Artist in Residence program, has tables for gaming and other activities. They once let us have a family gathering where we shopped and then ordered pizza in to eat in the store at the side tables.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Variant Edition is opening at 10441 123rd Street, which is almost a block north of Stony Plain Road. Sounds like they'll be opening within the next month or so.
    http://us8.campaign-archive1.com/?u=...&id=6ba9be76ef

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Variant Edition has announced that they will be opening May 2nd.

talking about old school comic stores... I am surprised i haven't heard beyond fantasy on stony plain road listed. They were much friendly and had a better selection then warp 1 + 2 or whyte knight from back in the day. Of course they are long closed now.

Variant Edition opens tomorrow. Grand Opening on May 2 aka Free Comics Day.
    http://us8.campaign-archive1.com/?u=...&id=5f620a1aee

Variant Edition is doing a Community Geek Swap tomorrow. This should be fun!
    https://www.facebook.com/events/887110788032200/

My first file was at Comic Annex next to Wee Book Inn before the fire in 88, after that I moved it to Comic Castle.