Thread: Posting of Photos

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

Default Posting of Photos

All,

Again, we are seeing a rash of incidents around photos. To remind:

1. If you post a photo that is not your own, you MUST indicate copyright. Even if it is a link back to the source page where you received the image, if it is not yours, you do NOT own it.
    2. Please respect the size of mobile devices. Limit your photos to something that can be displayed on mobile screens without scrolling. Many users here can help with how to post resized photos, yet link to the original full quality image if the user so wishes to see that level of detail.
    3. Can we please not spend so much time and energy critiquing photo composition, and more on what the image is supposed to detail? Yes, some are shooting with cell phones, and these are not SLR/DSLR quality. The majority of photos are meant to just show progress in a project, a quick snapshot of something relevant to the thread, or to prove a point in a conversation. This is not a photography forum. This is not an art and design form. Please show some respect to people who are simply trying to record a piece of our history as they happen upon it.

Thank you.
    Ow

I for one appreciate seeing photo's on the threads. I appreciate all the updates of the buildings going up downtown. I don't want to see any photographs being discouraged. The One Shot of Edmonton thread is brimming with great photo's and excellent photography. Some memes and photo's from the net can be a laugh if a thread gets a bit too tense. I do agree less can be better in some respects for photo's etc but in no way would I want people to stop posting them.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

I don't care about photo quality, I care about the information they have. Like Admin said, Connect2Edmonton isn't an art and design forum.
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

All,

I tire of having to remind people that citing images that are not your own, plus keeping them to a decent size that does not blow up people's browsers, is both common courtesy and prevents C2E from being sued.

Since people keep posting both supersized and uncited images, I am now going to just simply delete those posts.

Thank you.
    Ow

Just a suggestion on the size front of things - could you install a plugin that automatically sizes down large photos? Lightbox, etc. There are tons of plugins out there that do that sort of thing these days that put the rendering back to the user's device rather than put load on your server.

Not a fix for the copyright issue though.

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

The next release of C2E will have that. I'm on too old of a platform to risk the stability.
    Ow

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Quick question.
    I am NOT tech-savvy at all. Can photos be uploaded via smartphone, or must it be off of lap/desktop? Don't seem to be given an option to paste a photo. TIA

Yes. You have to find the link to the image file.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

The site does not host photos, but you certainly can upload photos from your phone onto an image hosting website/service & then link it here as you would with a non-mobile computer.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Is this how other photos posted on C2E are done? Twitter being a common one?

Some people post them to Twitter & then use the URL from the Twitter-hosted image to paste in, others use a photo hosting site like imgur or Flickr. It just needs to be on the web somewhere so you can copy the URL & paste it into the right spot in your forum message.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Some people post them to Twitter & then use the URL from the Twitter-hosted image to paste in, others use a photo hosting site like imgur or Flickr. It just needs to be on the web somewhere so you can copy the URL & paste it into the right spot in your forum message.
    The photo will still show up, just with the URL (link?) at the bottom, correct?

If that's what you put in your message, sure. I know that if you use Flickr & their share links for BBCode (the format messages on this forum use), it'll include the title/name as a link back to the image on Flickr, like so:

Untitled by Dion, on Flickr

If you're just pasting the URL into C2E's "insert image" or wrapping the URL in the required tags, you'd need to add any supplementary text or links manually yourself.

What flavour of mobile device are you using? If you're on a smartphone, grab the imgur app for android or iOS & it'll help you upload & generate the code required to help you share the images.

Don't hold your breath but there be some exciting photos of katz's gravel parking lot . World class !
    Last edited by champking; 25-07-2017 at 04:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    If that's what you put in your message, sure. I know that if you use Flickr & their share links for BBCode (the format messages on this forum use), it'll include the title/name as a link back to the image on Flickr, like so:

Untitled by Dion, on Flickr

If you're just pasting the URL into C2E's "insert image" or wrapping the URL in the required tags, you'd need to add any supplementary text or links manually yourself.

What flavour of mobile device are you using? If you're on a smartphone, grab the imgur app for android or iOS & it'll help you upload & generate the code required to help you share the images.
    I have an iPhone SE that I use for almost everything. I just downloaded Imgur now and seeing how I can do as you had mentioned.

Thanks for your help guys!
    Much appreciated

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Is something weird going on with the site this morning? I'm getting a big v-bulliten logo in the corner and the new posts page is changed.

Also, is there some relevant information in this thread about posting of pictures?

KC posted a link to this thread from the mobile version of the site in a way that it forces other people to see the thread & subsequently the whole board in mobile mode. Click the full site link at the bottom & you should revert.

There's been some spirited discussion today due to someone posting a picture to a half dozen threads without the appropriate level of attribution/credit, hence the link from KC.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Thanks noodle. Clicking on full site did revert.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

My frustration is having the same photo posted to a half dozen threads. To go to those pages and see the same pic posted using a mobile device not always on wifi uses a lot of data to load those photo intensive threads. I love seeing the pics but choose one thread to share it in please, not 4-5. It can make C2E a data pig.