Thread: Artery closing March 31

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default Artery closing March 31

Artery being forced to close...

We, the strong art & music community, have been hit with some devastating news.

As of yesterday, February 25th, The City of Edmonton deemed our beautiful building unfit and structurally unsound. We are being forced to vacate and close our doors on March 31st.

We are absolutely shocked by the city's decision and abrupt notice. We've been told by our landlord, property manager and the cities real estate agent that we likely have 2-6 years. Along with a one year termination clause. This has proven to be false and we are being evicted.

So were packing up and will be looking for a new venue.

https://www.facebook.com/artery.edmo...nf&pnref=story
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Man...
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

The building is in rough shape. Sad, but not really surprised... hopefully they can find another better space.

Ugh... for cup cakes...
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Maybe hey could source a space on Alberta Ave ? It would compliment well with all the other arts stuff going on there..
    Parkdale

C2E Posting Power

^ That it certainly would.

Need to retain it in the quarters, one of the few things people head there for now... we cannot lose it.
    www.decl.org

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Where is the Artery located?

They could do that.. but there's much greater synergy on the Ave.. probably a net benefit to the Artery and community there
    Parkdale

Unfortunate but not surprising.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by SP59 View Post
    Where is the Artery located?
    Jasper 95st
    www.decl.org

I'm a bit embarrassed to say that I've never seen a show at the Artery. Is the performance space on the main floor or upper floor of the building?

First One is Always Free

I've actually always really liked that old building, and wanted to see it get fixed up. That and the cute little Graphic Arts Building next door. I don't suppose there's much hope of either of them being saved. Getting seriously depressed as our history disappears one building at a time.

This is doubly sad - loss of an old building and loss of an amazing arts and music venue. I hope it can find a new home in the Quarters. As Ian said, it's one of the few reasons people head there. Losing it would be a huge blow to the area.

First One is Always Free

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    I'm a bit embarrassed to say that I've never seen a show at the Artery. Is the performance space on the main floor or upper floor of the building?
    Main floor. Just a small stage in the corner - right beside where the unused front entrance is.

^Thanks... I had a friend who lived above this space (I believe) back in '04/'05 or so. It was a really weird, divey "apartment" that included a stage area. I saw Les Tabernacles play at her birthday party around that time. I had always wondered if The Artery converted that space, but I guess not.

I'd like to see a show while possible -- Ian's right that this place is basically one of the very few (only?) options available in the Quarters as far as entertainment goes.

If only the Gem Theatre was still around
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Guess I've actually been there to see a show. It is pretty dumpy but I'm in the camp that doesn't like to see everything get torn down.

First One is Always Free

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    ^Thanks... I had a friend who lived above this space (I believe) back in '04/'05 or so. It was a really weird, divey "apartment" that included a stage area. I saw Les Tabernacles play at her birthday party around that time. I had always wondered if The Artery converted that space, but I guess not.

I'd like to see a show while possible -- Ian's right that this place is basically one of the very few (only?) options available in the Quarters as far as entertainment goes.
    They may have had a small session space upstairs, but the main stage was on the main floor. Whenever I'd been, the second floor was generally the artist's greenroom.

Dumpy is an adjective that could be used to describe some of the most important music venues around the world.

This is a serious loss to the immediate neighbourhood and the music community at large.

Let me slip on my tinfoil hat for a moment: How long before we see land sold, building torn down, hole in the ground for a couple years. The city seems in an awful hurry. I wonder at whose behest this happening so quickly?

The Artery is the people, not the place, thank goodness, since that building is in pretty rough shape and architecturally speaking, there is nothing worth keeping...

C2E Continued Contributor

terrible news. where else can they move in that area?

Quote Originally Posted by lat View Post
    The Artery is the people, not the place, thank goodness, since that building is in pretty rough shape and architecturally speaking, there is nothing worth keeping...
    A fine sentiment and while the Artery may be the people, the space is what they could AFFORD to operate. I don't see The Artery folk moving into any of the shiny, new CRU's at the base of some condo tower any time soon.

Surely there's other spaces in the Quarters they could take. iHuman just moved into a bigger space on 102a Ave, maybe they have space to spare? How about iHuman's old space facing the Hyatt (former peep show)? Or maybe the former Scientology space on 97 St?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by ajs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lat View Post
    A fine sentiment and while the Artery may be the people, the space is what they could AFFORD to operate. I don't see The Artery folk moving into any of the shiny, new CRU's at the base of some condo tower any time soon.
    There are other options... It will be tough for them, and I hope they can find something. That building was beyond end of life though...

According to this story, the building is being acquired for LRT expansion
    http://metronews.ca/news/edmonton/12...ry-say-owners/

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    According to this story, the building is being acquired for LRT expansion
    http://metronews.ca/news/edmonton/12...ry-say-owners/
    City officials say the property The Artery sub-leases out of was bought by the city as an “opportunity purchase, not an expropriation” as part of the Valley Line LRT project.

A city spokesperson added that “an assessment of the property was done as part of our acquisition and found that the building wasn’t suitable for long-term occupancy” in an email to Metro.
    Bottom line is the building was at EOL... Sad, but having been there a few times, I can't disagree...

C2E SME

How long were they there?? It can't be that long. Anyone know how big the space was? how many people could the venue hold?
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Addicted to C2E

Hopefully they find a new location fast......

1. Jasper Ave has the vacant Paramount theatre (since City Centre church left)
    2. Alberta Ave has the Avenue theatre
    3. 99st (north of whyte) has the old Church on 99st
    4. North edge (QMP/ Central Mcdougall) has a few spacious but under-used warehouse bldgs (just north of MacEwan Campus)

Maybe one of these could be a new home..........

^ suspect most involved won't want to go far.

What a brutal first two months of 2015 for art venues this has been.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

One month's notice seems like an over-reaction on the City's part. Is the building really that close to falling in on itself? Why couldn't the City have worked with the Artery to find a suitable alternative space before bringing down the hammer?

The building is the better part of a block west of 95 Street. Why would it be required for LRT construction?

C2E Posting Power
    YEG: Alberta Avenue, Boyle Street, McCauley | YLW: Shannon Lake | PHX: San Tan Valley

10816 - 95 Street...the old Lotus Soul Yoga space?

What I don't understand is how fast this has happened. The owner of The Artery has known the building was going to go someday because of it's age and location, however, for the City to deemed it structurally unfit and still have it doing shows until the end of March is contradictory to me. My worry is that the building will sit idle for quite sometime until funding can be found for the LRT expansion. If this happens it will be devastating to the Arts Community. Perhaps something can be done in the mean time to make it structurally sufficient to operate.

Damn

RIP
    The Artery
    Avenue Theatre
    The Elevation Room
    The Studio Music Foundation

Not much left

That being said I got 2 shows at Bohemia and one at DV8 this month! Both local business ran by great people
    FREE THE LOOPING .GIF MEMES
    youtube.com/GrimEmpire

^ and the Roxy. Also had live music occasionally.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown View Post
    10816 - 95 Street...the old Lotus Soul Yoga space?
    I thought so too but according to Ken at Zocalo there's a dance company moving in.

The End of the Artery, and the Start of a New Initiative
    http://markermagazine.com/the-end-of-the-artery/1/
    New initiative being "Edmonton Live Music Initiative"
    Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 27-02-2015 at 07:15 PM.

C2E SME

So I have one major question. The building that Artery is in. When was it built, does it have any historical significance? The Artery was brought up in the Old YEG café last night but the person commenting was talking about the business and the building in the same breath as if both have been in that location for years and years. I know for a fact that only a short few years ago that space was vacant.

The Artery is at 9535 Jasper Ave.

http://culture.alberta.ca/heritage-a...n-Edmonton.pdf

IV-8.
    Jasper Avenue East,
    South Side
    (pre-1913)
    9523 - 9535 Jasper Avenue
    Little is left today which would indicate that Jasper Avenue East was once as developed on the south side as the north. The image below, as well as the photos on page 3 and page 10 show that this was the case. Hotels, laundries, a newspaper office, a picture framing shop, and a movie theatre, among others, could be found stretching from 100 Street east as far as 95 Street. Most have now vanished. Cliffe Street, situated south of Jasper Avenue and east of 99 Street, is gone without a trace, the victim of progress and erosion. The earliest record of 9523 Jasper Avenue indicates that in 1913, a tinsmithing business occupied the building. At some time a coat of stucco and some radiatorlike fins transformed it into a Moderne Style building. In contrast, the pre-1907 building at 9535 Jasper Avenue has retained some of its original pressed metal siding. Both buildings have seen better days, but are valuable as the last vestiges of a bygone era.
    So, its old, but doesn't appear to have a lot of historical significance...

C2E SME

I was doing a little bit of searching. Is that the building on the right hand side behind the other building of the corner? This photo apparently was from the 40's. This supposed to be Jasper ave looking east from 95A street.

https://lostyeg.wordpress.com/2014/0...-looking-east/

Musicians, artists hope to save two Edmonton buildings from the wrecking ball
    By Rachel Ward, Edmonton Journal

Local musicians and artists are asking Edmonton City Council to save two buildings slated for demolition to make room for the Valley LRT line.

The city-owned Graphic Arts Building on Jasper Ave. near 95th St. hosts small music shows and cheaply rents space to local artists and musicians, organizer Will Zimmerman said Saturday. The Mitchell and Reed Auction House is next door. Both have been arts centres.

“You take that space away, and all of a sudden they’re not working on music and art anymore,” said Zimmerman, who is with the Edmonton electronic band Shout Out Out Out Out. “They’re working on finding a place to hone their craft.”

Dozens are planning to attend Tuesday’s executive council meeting to protest the planned demolition of the buildings, which were bought by the city in March to hold construction materials and dirt removed during construction of the Valley LRT line tunnel.
    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/enter...389/story.html

C2E Continued Contributor

I don't understand why the city needs to demolish anything for staging over there. So many empty parking lots.

C2E SME

I think this is another case of the city departments looking for the most direct solution rather than the best solution. There are so many lots that are empty that could be used instead of demolishing those buildings.

Seeing that this is the same braintrust behind the Metro LRT debacle, this is another decision to be second-guessed.

C2E SME

Definitely city council has to review this. If there is another option that doesn't entail demolition of a building then why not?

233893147-002
    24-Mar-2017
    9531 - JASPER AVENUE NW
    Plan 226CL Blk 4 Lots 43A,44A,45A

To demolish a Commercial building (The Artery-9539 Jasper Ave. Bldg).

MCCOLMAN & SONS DEMOLITION LTD