Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Edmonton's 'City of Champions' signs could be replaced

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default Edmonton's 'City of Champions' signs could be replaced

Edmonton's 'City of Champions' signs could be replaced
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...aced-1.2984006

People arriving in Edmonton could be greeted by new welcome signs within the next year or two, according to Coun. Michael Oshry.

He said the seven “City of Champions” signs stationed around the city are tired and outdated, and should be replaced as quickly as possible.

“You just need something that's modern and interesting and sort of shows the city on the trajectory we're on now, which is a sort of an exciting, growing place to live,” he said.

Councillors are considering allowing citizens to design the signs with an open competition.

The city held a similar design competition for the Borden Park Pavilion, where they received 139 submissions.

Depending on whether the city approaches architects or allows anyone to submit a design, the cost of finding a design could be anywhere between $5,000 and $90,000 dollars.

The cost of the signs themselves is yet to be determined, but Oshry said the city should set a budget before it proceeds any further.

City staff said the new signs should be funded through community fund raising, similar to the “Light the Bridge” campaign which raised $2.5 million to purchase and install 50,000 LED lights on the High Level Bridge.

Another option is to allow advertising on the signs.

But before the city starts soliciting designs for roadside billboards or works of art, Oshry said it needs to determine its brand.

"They don't have to be extravagant, they don't have to be expensive and they don't have to be over the top artsy. I don't look at this as art, I look at this as signage and branding,” he said.

The signs are structurally sound, and do not need to be replaced, according to city staff.

Councillors will debate options for the new signs on Monday.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

How about... 'City of Champions'
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Hopefully they throw the design process out to the public. Don't involve architects or we will get something so high flouting we will need a pamphlet to decipher. Arches, pyramids, overblown crap. KISS
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

feels similar to a waste money exercise we recently went through

http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...ead.php?t=3068

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    How about... 'City of Champions'
    No way, that is the one that has been hexing us. How about traditional green and white EDMONTON CITY LIMITS. nothing more and have the big sign before the urban area begins. Example; south of Leduc on QE2 when you come around the corner north of Kavanagh/Glen Park Road have WELCOME TO GREATER EDMONTON population 1,350,000. Then do not have signs on every side of every municipality within the region because there are so many now. Anything else seems tacky to me.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 06-03-2015 at 03:53 PM.

C2E Super Addict

Classy.
    "The only really positive thing one could say about Vancouver is, it’s not the rest of Canada." Oink (britishexpats.com)

If they need help demolishing the Champions signs, I'm all in.

Like your idea though Drum - bring the whole CMA together.

There might well be branding that I'd suggest or support, but that whole exercise usually ends up being so divisive, hrrrm, second thoughts ...
    ... gobsmacked

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    Classy.
    agreed.

classy.

just like the coca cola signs on the shaw convention centre...
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

yay!

new signs!

lets start by taking what's there and updating the planting. unless, like whitemud, plants are still considered too distracting for drivers

and then we could make sure we have a sign that says "welcome to edmonton, alberta's capital city.

with or without a tag line.

oh...

wait...

that's exactly what we have now.

no wonder some people say trying to get rid of looping animated gifs is a lost cause.

besides, who remember's the tag line on the welcome signs for vancouver or toronto or chicago or london or rome - never mind biggar, saskatchewan - without looking them up?

besides, if we're trying to get people to come here, why the big concern about a sign for people that already got here that might get noticed for a second and a half? why not spend a bit more time cleaning up gateway boulevard or stony plain road or yellowhead so we make a good first impression that isn't made on the basis of a sign.

How about an expensive glass pyramid, because Edmonton has lots of desert and reminds people of a museum in Paris?

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    How about an expensive glass pyramid, because Edmonton has lots of desert and reminds people of a museum in Paris?
    the pyramids/shards weren't a sign and a slogan any more than chihuly's glass scuptures are signs and slogans...

and unlike signs and slogans, they are phootgraphed, reproduced and memorable.

New slogan

City of Edmonton
    Home of the Oilers...

...have pity
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    the pyramids/shards weren't a sign and a slogan any more than chihuly's glass scuptures are signs and slogans...

and unlike signs and slogans, they are phootgraphed, reproduced and memorable.
    photographed, reproduced and memorable...............for all the wrong reasons. Please, no more pyramids or chards of glass. So yesterday.

Just remove the "City of Champions" and "Capital City" slogans, keep the rest as is. "Welcome to Edmonton" is all that's required. That is all.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

KISS ^not you, just making a comment.

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Just remove the "City of Champions" and "Capital City" slogans, keep the rest as is. "Welcome to Edmonton" is all that's required. That is all.
    x2.

Who needs ads on a welcome to [insert name of city] sign?! We have enough billboard ads to go around - in fact, too many. We don't need ads on city signs, thank you very much.
    Is there hope for Edmonton? Yes!!! The Oilers? Wait and see.

Yeah, start involving architects and there will be bits of metal, wood, concrete, flashing white lights and gawd knows what draped all over. The sign will look like crap on a lolly stick or a Valo Va-Largia original.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    Classy.
    agreed.

classy.

just like the coca cola signs on the shaw convention centre...
    Or the word "Shaw" on the convention centre.

I must agree with that one. Why not Downtown Edmonton Convention Centre. To heck with Shaw and Rogers for that matter.

Welcome to Rogers City of Edmonton, that will be next. Anything for the money

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Welcome to Rogers City of Edmonton, that will be next. Anything for the money
    on a huge jumbotron with flashing images that distract and blind drivers as they enter the city.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Classy.

Welcome to Edmonton,brought to you by the new Ford F- 150
    Go ahead, speed pass me... I'll meet you at the next red light.

Well I quite liked the idea of the icecles or shardes of glass that glowed like the northern lights over the highway as the welcome. So cool for cool city.

Seen industrial versions in foreign countries.

Sometimes less is more. Understated elegance trumps tarted up trash.

"Welcome to the City of Edmonton, now with Roger's name branding.

Capital City and City of Champions.

Powered by the new Ford F-150.

Rexall level healthy."

Honestly, I think there are more pressing issues than a sign to deal with.
    Right now taxes are going up and there are people being laid off.
    The cost to replace these signs they said would be $200,000 to $300,000.
    I would rather the money go into our roads, other infrastructures, helping the homeless etc.

If we were rolling in tons of surplus and taxes weren't going up, then go for it, but right now that isn't happening.

This is what most people would be calling 'first world problems'.
    Edmonton ~ It may not be perfect, but it's home~

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

^agrees for now. Look at this again in a few years when things start to turn around a bit.

Paula Simons nails it
    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...267/story.html

Just removing the "City of Champions" and keeping the rest intact doesn't require funds, focus group studies, and all that B.S. Hell, I'll go out and remove the slogans from the signs myself for free!
    Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 09-03-2015 at 10:07 PM.

^ agreed. Just goes to show that in Edmonton, we can't even put up a sign without making it into a million dollar administration boondoggle.

Paula Simons nails it
    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...267/story.html

Just removing the "City of Champions" and keeping the rest intact doesn't require funds, focus group studies, and all that B.S. Hell, I'll go out and remove the slogans from the signs myself for free!
    And in that empty square that it came out of just put a picture in there

How many of these signs are left? I know the one entering from the east on 16 is gone.

The one on the south might go soon, it used to be on the left side but now on the right side because of the 41st Avenue S interchange. You can see the "lonely" Cities in Bloom sign on the right side of the old road.
    https://www.google.ca/maps/@53.40105...B2uQ!2e0?hl=en

I say just put up a metal sign with 'Welcome to Edmonton' on it. Make it so the sign is a timeless design. No slogan. We can all then stop fretting over it.

Because it makes so much more sense for Paris to have a glass pyramid.

Is this going to be like when we changed the name of Klondike days to something stupid then immediately regretted it?
    be offended! figure out why later...

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    I say just put up a metal sign with 'Welcome to Edmonton' on it. Make it so the sign is a timeless design. No slogan. We can all then stop fretting over it.
    The focus group wants it bilingual.

The Province wants it in Tory Blue.

The Administration says that it has to green, not blue.

The lawyers insist that metal is too dangerous in case some hits the sign. They suggest it be made from plastic.

Environmentalists state it has to be made from biodegradable straw fibers.

Business leader states that the sign must have directions to his arena.

Granny states that they want to preserve the old signs along with the airport signs and the pedestrian bridge signs.

^Good one. Just put a sign up saying 'Edmonton City Limits, somewhere around them there parts'.

... How about traditional green and white EDMONTON CITY LIMITS. and have the big sign before the urban area begins. Example; south of Leduc on QE2 ... have WELCOME TO GREATER EDMONTON population 1,350,000.
    To me, this is it. Would be nice, ala Calgary if the surrounding municipalities had some grid roads following Edmonton's numbering convention, (as in some, not all I realize), but even so - here you are in greater Edmonton.

Like folks in Winnipeg even know what a Sherwood Park is.
    ... gobsmacked

How about a projected hologram sign beamed from a solar-powered thingy.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

A really good discussion piece on doing away with City of Champions signage
    http://blog.mastermaq.ca/2015/04/12/...signs-slogans/

City Council voted Tuesday to remove the “City of Champions” slogan from the “Welcome to Edmonton” signs.

In a close vote, councillors approved getting rid of the slogan and to look at replacing the seven entrance signs.

“We are in a post-tagline era,” said Mayor Don Iveson.
    http://globalnews.ca/news/1966954/ci...welcome-signs/
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

I think it's a good idea. I just hope we don't end up with those basic (two sticks and a board) highway signs that Calgary uses.

Good news... never liked that slogan...

For the new sign I would find the best skyline shot possible and just put "Welcome to Edmonton" on it...

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

At least the lame jokes can stop...

...but do not start another random slogan generator exercise...your reputation is what you earn and trust me...we'll get the slogan/tagline we deserve. People will make it for us...
    Since calm logic doesn't work, I guess it is time to employ sarcasm. ...and before you call me an a-hole...remember, I am a Dick.

What with all the construction going on in Edmonton our temporary slogan should be She Boom, She Bang.

Don't mess with Edmonton lol
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

I think even with removing the slogan from the signs, it will continue to get used.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
    I think it's a good idea. I just hope we don't end up with those basic (two sticks and a board) highway signs that Calgary uses.
    Thanks for reminding me that I have no idea what Calgary's entrance signs even look like, even though I drive through/to it probably 10-15 times a year. Just goes to show that all the attention paid to this issue is kind of silly, in the end. Put up some tasteful signs saying "Welcome to Edmonton" or similar and leave it at that.

You must not be very observant to have missed this at every entrance to Calgary for the last number of years Marcel. lol

So, whats the plan now? Take the signs down, and have no signs while Council dither over it? Or just remove the slogan and leave the Edmonton bit?

^ it'll likely be the least cost-effective solution. Did I hear north of $2M on Global News? WTFF?
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

It would be wise to leave the signs, remove the City of Champions, which is already removed from Gateway entrance, and then when new signs are ready change them. This being the logical move it likely won't happen this way and there will be no signs for 2 or 3 years or however long the red tape is.

C2E SME

You must not be very observant to have missed this at every entrance to Calgary for the last number of years Marcel. lol
    It's not a lack of observance. It's a matter of priority. When I'm driving I'm watching other drivers, for road signs and markings that are relevant, road and weather conditions, wild life and so on. That sign looks familiar enough, but I wouldn't have been able to draw a sketch of it prior to seeing it. Same goes with the numerous other towns I frequently pass through. Can you tell me what the signs for cities/towns like Edson, Hinton (I actually know that one, they recently built some pretty swank ones), Wildwood, Entwhistle, Innisfail, Bowden, Airdrie, Red Deer (that one I know as well, for whatever reason), Canmore and so on? They're just not high up my priority list when it comes to visual information. Nor should they be.

What I heard (not from any news media) was that they were going to take The City of Champions board off the signs and then spruce the signs up. It's supposedly a temporary measure until they decide what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    ^ it'll likely be the least cost-effective solution. Did I hear north of $2M on Global News? WTFF?
    https://twitter.com/doniveson/status/593456112742989825
    Don Iveson ‏@doniveson 7m7 minutes ago
    Removal of the whole big sign would cost $20K da. Removal of slogan plaque has nominal cost. #yegcc

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    They're just not high up my priority list when it comes to visual information. Nor should they be.
    So I guess you would be onside with no signs at all, or just a cheap board like Calgary, since, don't remember them anyway? I guess I would to, or I think, just leave it the way it is and spend money on something more useful. Removing the slogan is OK I guess. Sad thing is now, we going to probably see the city spends hundreds of thousands of dollars researching it.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
    Thanks for reminding me that I have no idea what Calgary's entrance signs even look like, even though I drive through/to it probably 10-15 times a year. Just goes to show that all the attention paid to this issue is kind of silly, in the end. Put up some tasteful signs saying "Welcome to Edmonton" or similar and leave it at that.
    I drive this weekly, sometimes I make 2 return trips a week...

Have I seen these signs...several times.

Do I care...not a lick.

The main difference is that Calgary's signs are non descript, the ones in Edmonton have (like it or lump it) shape, depth, and a completely different feel than the street signs that are Calgary's Heart of the New West's white exit signs...

So, I can see why Marcel would miss them...I hardly notice.

As for the costs, the removal of the City of Champions boards won't be much. The removal of the actual concrete and anchored heavy entry monuments will be another story. Then, of course, if the desire is to have a 3 dimensional, noticeable entry sign, there will be costs. 2 million for 7 signs...people here need to look at the fact that private companies spend that on small system upgrades or building renovations. 2 million can be spent rather quickly in 2015...
    Since calm logic doesn't work, I guess it is time to employ sarcasm. ...and before you call me an a-hole...remember, I am a Dick.

C2E SME

I think Calgary's are a wee bit too cheap looking for my liking. Like I said, Hinton a year or two ago put up some pretty nice looking signs with landscaping and lighting that I can't seem to find a picture of online. I don't recall if there's a slogan on them or not. They were probably in the low five figure range to build, but then again they just have the two I believe (not sure if any roads go N/S out of Hinton proper, other than the E/W highway 16). Something along those lines I'd be fine with. But I wouldn't lose any sleep if the city just put up something similar to Calgary's, either. No strong opinion either way, really.

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    https://twitter.com/doniveson/status/593456112742989825
    Don Iveson ‏@doniveson 7m7 minutes ago
    Removal of the whole big sign would cost $20K da. Removal of slogan plaque has nominal cost. #yegcc
    What i think is it a bit odd is that there are 2 welcome signs coming from sherwood park, none coming in from the east via yellowhead
    Last edited by Perspective; 29-04-2015 at 12:08 PM.

^that is a bit odd, that welcome bums and creeps, but not westerners (assuming your east meant west)

no my east meant east lol
    101 ave has one
    sherwood park fwy has one
    but the yellowhead from the east doesnt (just north of sherwood park)
    There is a sign on the west entrance of the yellowhead

Maybe it was removed due to the AHD construction?

That is why highway 16 doesn't have one.

^my mistake, i was referring to that map on the CBC link that didnt show one there and said 7 signs, if that was included it would be 8 then?

One bad side effect of the Grey Cup win? This debate has reared its head again in the social media.
    Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 29-11-2015 at 08:53 PM. Reason: removed link to deleted tweet

God I hope not. No more dumb signs please.

Ditch the signs.

And this is why I have no part of social media.

^?

Sorry, got ahead of myself. SDM in post 69.

Too many Eskies beers

^To many beers, honest mistake my man, carry on.

Noticed that Canadian sportscasters, Brian Williams remarked on the Eskimos win, that "Edmonton is again, the City of Champions!"

I have not been a fan of the moniker but it may be a better slogan than some politically correct motto that some focus group committee comes up with.

My personal choice

WELCOME TO EDMONTON!

HOME OF THE BOOM!
    BUST!
    REPEAT!

https://twitter.com/BreannaCTV/statu...70272054878208
    BreannaKarstensSmith ‏@BreannaCTV
    Councillor @michaeloshry says he's already gotten emails asking for City of Champions signs to be replaced after Esks win #yeg #yegcc
    https://twitter.com/BreannaCTV/statu...70935379726337
    BreannaKarstensSmith ‏@BreannaCTV
    "It's the same city today as it was yesterday morning" @michaeloshry says city doesn't need slogan to be great #yeg #yegcc

C2E Super Addict

The sign could be like the trophy. Just transfer it from city to city as applicable?.. Next year. "Calgary - City of Champions". Or whoever, you get the idea.
    "The only really positive thing one could say about Vancouver is, it’s not the rest of Canada." Oink (britishexpats.com)

The sign could be like the trophy. Just transfer it from city to city as applicable?.. Next year. "Calgary - City of Champions". Or whoever, you get the idea.
    Great idea. Maybe we could make money off these signs by shipping them around the country and plopping them for a year at a time on various front lawns of city halls. The City of Champions franchise. The Sports version, the volunteer citizen version, the entrepreneurial version...

I thought City of Champions was about the accomplishments of Edmontonians in a crisis rather than the accomplishments of a bunch of guys Edmonton hired to throw a ball around.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

I think the signs were jinxing us. So we took them down april of 2015 and lo and behold we win the Grey Cup after a long drought. Leave them off and maybe the Oilers will have a chance to make the playoffs. Put the City of Champions signs back up and we will be jinxed all over again. If they are still at a city shop somewhere will an employee please BURN THEM NOW.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 30-11-2015 at 01:20 PM.

True. Signs went up sometime after the 1987 tornado, which was about the time when the dismantling of the Oilers dynasty team started (Coffey).

I think the signs were jinxing us. So we took them down april of 2015 and lo and behold we win the Grey Cup after a long drought. Leave them off and maybe the Oilers will have a chance to make the playoffs. Put the City of Champions signs back up and we will be jinxed all over again. If they are still at a city shop somewhere will an employee please BURN THEM NOW.
    What, if they are a jinx then send them down to Calgary.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Great idea. Maybe we could make money off these signs by shipping them around the country and plopping them for a year at a time on various front lawns of city halls. The City of Champions franchise. The Sports version, the volunteer citizen version, the entrepreneurial version...
    .............the cheap, dated and tacky version.

C2E Super Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    .............the cheap, dated and tacky version.
    That would be a given with every version surely?..

Speaking of which...

Remember the 2008 design?

COE http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...built-1.752701

Sort of like regifting a Christmas fruitcake...

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Speaking of which...

Remember the 2008 design?

COE http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...built-1.752701

Yes, and I'm trying to forget it.

Opinion: Let's market Edmonton by telling our story
    http://edmontonjournal.com/opinion/c...ling-our-story

City slogans almost never work. They’re products of traditional advertising — a single phrase, a new logo — that fail as engines of image and reputation, sales and marketing.

After the mighty Eskies won the Grey Cup in November, the revealing headline was, “We’re the city of champions again!” The phrase harkens back to a time we remember fondly, if we were here. But it was borrowed, even then. This was the eighth city of champions. Laurence Decore didn’t coin the phrase, after the tornado or any other time. “Champion” was always about sports.

The slogan doesn’t work for us, either, not any more. When someone asks us “Why Edmonton? Why should I move there, invest there, visit there?” and we answer with a borrowed cliché, we’re missing a huge opportunity.

What can we do instead? What should we do?
    Edmonton Economic Development has been doing it with the Edmonton Original campaign, with Make Something Edmonton, which is about building instead of bragging or complaining. You can explore more than 1,000 projects on the site.

After two years, we can see and feel and play with what makes Edmonton different. Many of these projects have received local, national, and international media coverage.

In 2016, you’ll see an ambassador program to help Edmonton’s leaders, institutions, artists and athletes tell our story. You’ll soon see it told in public places, on the sides of buildings, and — yes — in more traditional marketing venues.

Volunteers have driven much of this, people like you, and it’s just beginning. “The City of Champions” didn’t work for Pittsburgh and it hasn’t worked for Edmonton. Let’s try something that will: our story.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

while i pretty much agree with todd - and while i quite liked gene dub's proposed entry markers - I am still also okay with "city of champions" on our entering the city signs. i know it isn't unique and it doesn't promote the city in any meaningful way to outsiders but I sometimes thing it is meaningful to us every time we come home and we are the storytellers... i see nothing wrong in or even contradictory about reinforcing our storytellers' good feelings towards their home city and our doing what todd correctly proposes as well.

^bang on Ken, bang on. Bring them back!
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

thanks IanO... it's funny because i would have been okay replacing "city of champions" with "make something edmonton" (although "welcome to edmonton/make something edmonton" makes for a strange sign for me - maybe "welcome to edmonton/make something here"?). it was/is taking them down and replacing them with nothing that i think was a silly waste of money.

Agree.
    Go ahead, speed pass me... I'll meet you at the next red light.

I'm sorry but "city of champions" makes us look like a laughing stock. slogans are for insecure small towns.

C2E Posting Power
    Below that old white mountain, just a little southeast of Nome

For the millionth time, "champions" has just as much or more to do with those that champion the numerous charitable causes that this region strongly supports than it does with the athletic championships. The way Edmontonians came together to support the victims of the tornado provided the impetus for then Mayor Decore and council to decide that this was an appropriate slogan to represent our city. Those who decided to take the signs down have no clue what the slogan even stands for.

Quote Originally Posted by edTel View Post
    For the millionth time, "champions" has just as much or more to do with those that champion the numerous charitable causes that this region strongly supports than it does with the athletic championships.
    By that definition every city on earth is full of champions. Every city goes through difficult times / most have disasters at one time or another and deal with it, most have charitable people. It just looks silly now, anyone not from Edmonton driving in thinks of the Oilers championship teams of the past, and where the Oilers are now, they don't think of a tornado a few decades ago. If you have to explain it, its not a good slogan.

Calgary just changed its slogan from "heart of the new west" to "be part of the energy" (sort of unfortunate given what's happening with energy). One advantage of their cheap signboard approach is they can change it for next to no cost, and they have signs at every entrance into the city, even little obscure ones. Again, a difference between the cities I guess, Calgary just does stuff even if it is tacky, Edmonton debates trying to make something perfect for decades and achieves nothing.

https://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=...EXCE4Q9QEIHzAA
    Last edited by moahunter; 18-01-2016 at 10:00 AM.

If you have to explain to people what it really means vs common perception (in this case, related to sports teams) then it's not a good slogan in the first place

For the millionth time, "champions" has just as much or more to do with those that champion the numerous charitable causes that this region strongly supports than it does with the athletic championships.
    By that definition every city on earth is full of champions. Every city goes through difficult times / most have disasters at one time or another and deal with it, most have charitable people. It just looks silly now, anyone driving in things of the Oilers championship teams of the past, and where the Oilers are now, they don't think of a tornado a few decades ago.

Calgary just changed its slogan from "heart of the new west" to "be part of the energy" (sort of unfortunate given what's happening with energy). One advantage of their cheap signboard approach is they can change it for next to no cost, and they have signs at every entrance into the city, even little obscure ones.
    Yeah, the motto "City Of Champions" is like writing on your resume "I'm a good worker", and expecting the interviewer to be impressed by that. It's not like anyone applying for a job claims to be a BAD worker, just as no city is going to claim to be anything but "champions"(or some other variation on "winners").

C2E Posting Power
    Below that old white mountain, just a little southeast of Nome

Well I agree with you that that aspect of the slogan has been lost and needs to be brought to the forefront again. Yes all cities do have struggles and champions but there is nothing wrong in celebrating our "champions". Perhaps a digital sign that could be changed monthly to celebrate an individual champion of the month. Whatever you think of the slogan it is well known and associated with Edmonton in a mostly positive light. I daresay most people in Canada could not tell you what city is associated with "Heart of the New West"

I daresay most people in Canada could not tell you what city is associated with "Heart of the New West"
    No City is anymore, Calgary have already moved on to hitch the name to the "Energy" or should that read "Bust" I expect by the time Edmonton actually change the sign (if that's the plan), Calgary will have gone through 3 or 4 more slogans and different signs at various entrances, for better or worse.
    Last edited by moahunter; 18-01-2016 at 10:14 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast