Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Edmonton's 'City of Champions' signs could be replaced

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by edTel View Post
    I daresay most people in Canada could not tell you what city is associated with "Heart of the New West"
    No, but if you told them it was Calgary, they might think "Well, that makes sense, Calgary is right in the centre of the west, and it's had quite a bit of development lately."

But if you told them Edmonton was the "City Of Champions", how are they going to connect that to anything about the unique reality of Edmonton? "Oh, yeah, Edmonton has a lot of people who have succeeded at things"? Well, which city doesn't?

And yes, I know that "Heart Of The New West" could also apply to some other cities, maybe half a dozen or so. But the point is, you can at least narrow it down that much. "City Of Champions" could be anywhere in the world.

C2E Posting Power
    Below that old white mountain, just a little southeast of Nome

My point exactly.... few knew the previous slogan and even fewer probably know that changed it! Most people in Canada know "City of Champions" is Edmonton.

Most people in Canada know "City of Champions" is Edmonton.
    Source? Most people in Edmonton know the "City of Champions" is Edmonton. Most people in Canada have heard of informal names like Cowtown and Hogtown, but not much else re city slogans I think. I couldn't tell you want Montreal have on their sign, or Ottawa, does it really matter? I think the point of a sign is just to say, "you are in city limits now".

C2E Posting Power

Is Coke the only soft drink that is "It", "Lovin it" could apply to many things but McDonalds uses it to highlight the taste of the food (if that's what you are into)..... is 3M the only company know for "Innovation"? The list goes on...

C2E Posting Power

The only source I have is the friends, family, and work associates across Canada that remind me of the slogan whenever I travel. Yes it is usually to tease me that the Oilers and Esks have not won anything lately (although I can now remind them about the Esks), but I use it as an opportunity to tell them that slogan is about so much more than sports championships and that it has to do with pride in our community for championing a number of charitable causes.

After reading some other cities slogan/taglines very few of them are note worthy. In fact, some of them are rather obscure to the people who do not live there.

http://www.taglineguru.com/citymottosmonikers.html
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by overoceans View Post
    I daresay most people in Canada could not tell you what city is associated with "Heart of the New West"
    No, but if you told them it was Calgary, they might think "Well, that makes sense, Calgary is right in the centre of the west, and it's had quite a bit of development lately."

But if you told them Edmonton was the "City Of Champions", how are they going to connect that to anything about the unique reality of Edmonton? "Oh, yeah, Edmonton has a lot of people who have succeeded at things"? Well, which city doesn't?

And yes, I know that "Heart Of The New West" could also apply to some other cities, maybe half a dozen or so. But the point is, you can at least narrow it down that much. "City Of Champions" could be anywhere in the world.
    Plus, there can only be one Heart of the New West. It's a singular thing and once it's used it pretty much excludes other cities/towns fron adopting it. Whereas City of Champions is more widely applicable for the reasons you state.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Is Coke the only soft drink that is "It", "Lovin it" could apply to many things but McDonalds uses it to highlight the taste of the food (if that's what you are into)..... is 3M the only company know for "Innovation"? The list goes on...
    Yeah, but if you were to ask an employee of Coke if he was proud to work for the company, would he reply "Oh yeah, man, you know, Coke is IT!"

Probably not, since he likely doesn't feel much personal affection for the company, and regards the slogan as mainly just an exercise in planting name recognition in the collective mind.

Which might be how you regard "City Of Champions", I don't know. Personally, it's not quite what I want from a civic slogan.

C2E Posting Power

Again the point is that you are not going to find an attribute that is distinctly Edmontonian (or Calgarian or Torontonian, etc....) Find something to focus in on and market the heck out of it. If someone has a better idea than City of Champions lets hear it.

C2E Long Term Contributor

How about no slogan at all? None of the major cities other than Calgary have them AFAIK
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    How about no slogan at all? None of the major cities other than Calgary have them AFAIK
    That's what I would do. Have a nice and simple sign that says Edmonton (just use cities logo perhaps), and make it cheap enough, but perhaps durable enough so it can last for 3 or 4 decades, so that it can go at every single entrance into the City, not just from the airport.

C2E Posting Power

How about "Edmonton...Celebrating our Champions" and then like I said a nice digital sign that could be changed monthly to highlight an individual or team that is a "Champion"?

How about "Edmonton...Celebrating our Champions" and then like I said a nice digital sign that could be changed monthly to highlight an individual or team that is a "Champion"?
    Good lord no. That's throwing good money after a terrible, terrible slogan.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

This reminds me of when I was in elementary school and everyone got a turn to be "student of the month" at the school assembly. They would get called up and be given a pen or pencil that said "student of the month" on it. Thanks for triggering that memory

Quote Originally Posted by Perspective View Post
    This reminds me of when I was in elementary school and everyone got a turn to be "student of the month" at the school assembly. They would get called up and be given a pen or pencil that said "student of the month" on it. Thanks for triggering that memory
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

^lol, reminds me more of this

C2E Posting Power

Lol... still waiting for your better ideas.... or at least tell us what makes you proud to be an Edmontonian...

Just because your idea is terrible doesn't obligate me to provide alternatives.

How about no sign? This whole thing strikes me more Biggar, Saskatchewan than Big City, Anywhere.

Frankly, my personal sense of pride is in no way, shape, or form tied to this city.

"Edmonton: Because here's where my stuff is."

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post

Frankly, my personal sense of pride is in no way, shape, or form tied to this city.

"Edmonton: Because here's where my stuff is."
    I think that your sentiments are shared by many, which in my opinion is unfortunate. Perhaps because I was born here I am somewhat biased. Personal pride aside I think you are missing out the value/importance of seeing yourself as part of a community that you yourself are contributing to make a better place of rather than just a place to gain your livelihood from.

I was born here as well, I just don't think that particular bit of happenstance defines me as an individual nor does it confer any allegiance or preferential status to the city in my mind.

C2E Posting Power

I agree with you, just being born/raised/living in a place does not automatically make it any more significant that any other place, its what you do with your time in that place that makes it significant or not. Are you just living "here," or are you "living" here? If you are a business owner ,as an example, then you are making a contribution to the community by offering a unique product/service that may not be available elsewhere. Same goes for the teacher going the extra mile for a certain student who may need extra help, same goes for the retiree volunteering their time by giving rides to those that can't get out otherwise, same goes for the regular Joe/Jane going to work and using their skill to help build a house that eventually someone will live in. These are but a few examples of why we can and should take pride in not only ourselves but in the larger community we are all a part of. Ok I will climb down from soapbox now.
    Last edited by edTel; 18-01-2016 at 01:41 PM.

I'm just here despite not having many strong & positive feelings for Edmonton because the cost of living is relatively low while my wages are relatively high. That's enough of a value proposition to offset the numerous downsides to my living here for the time being.

Sounds to Top_Dawg like one of those schools where the students play sports but nobody keeps score.

Did they also have a no fail policy ?

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post

Sounds to Top_Dawg like one of those schools where the students play sports but nobody keeps score.

Did they also have a no fail policy ?
    haha, everything else was on par with a 'regular' school. This was the only 'everybody wins' endeavor that I can remember

I liked your digital sign idea. Embed the screen in a elegant column and run "Welcome to Edmonton" on it. Change the colors of the letters now and again for special occasions (like the High Level Bridge). No, we don't need a hokey slogan unless we put under the "Welcome to Edmonton" sign, in brackets (We have no Slogan).

Oh FFS

Edmonton should resurrect 'City of Champions' slogan, group of bigwigs urges

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...rges-1.3530236
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Oh FFS

Edmonton should resurrect 'City of Champions' slogan, group of bigwigs urges

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...rges-1.3530236
    Hilarious!

"A group of well-known Edmontonians, all Order of Canada recipients, are demanding that 'City of Champions' be restored to the welcome signs.

Don Clark is leading the volunteer committee behind the campaign. The group also includes former senator Tommy Banks, entrepreneur Lyle Best, television news veteran Bruce Hogle, and fitness advocate John Stanton.

Clark said he was baffled by the decision to remove the slogan.

"They shouldn't have been taken down in the first place," Clark said during a Monday morning interview on CBC Radio's Edmonton AM.

"An honest mistake was made, let's right that mistake. The people I've talked to, 100 per cent of them, they don't know why it was taken down in the first place."

Clark said his group won't rest until the 'City of Champions' signs are brought out of retirement. He said those who believe the slogan has lost its lustre with the decline of the Oilers dynasty are dead wrong."

Excellent.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

Maybe these old fogeys need to realize that only has that sign made this city the country's laughingstock, but it's not unique since there are several other City of Champions.

Maybe these old fogeys need to realize that only has that sign made this city the country's laughingstock, but it's not unique since there are several other City of Champions.
    Amen. Grasping at ever fewer, ever fainter, ever older straws.

Amen. Grasping at ever fewer, ever fainter, ever older straws.
    It would make work and create jobs. We could do the switch every year.

Personally, I never liked the phrase and liked it even less when the public and media spin took the meaning to be only sports related and not as they said, related to the great volunteer and other such as disaster (tornado) 'champions' we had in the city.

Nonsense.

The sign was half based in the recovery from Black Friday, and we were the first city to proclaim ourselves that of Champions. We own it if we want it, and if it has anything to do with sports, consider:
    1. More Stanley Cups than any city in either country since we entered the league
    2. More Grey Cups than any city since we entered the league
    3. More University Hockey Cups (men's and women's) since we entered the league
    4. More international championships hosted than any other city

Id!ots in other cities can mock whatever they want, but the facts say they only look like id!ots.

Grumpy old men. It's a wonder they don't want a mini Mt. Rushmore of their bloated selves on it. Let it go for chrissake.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

No.

We removed the curse now they want to bring it back?

Looking at where the Oilers finished this year, are you sure we removed the curse?

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    Grumpy old men. It's a wonder they don't want a mini Mt. Rushmore of their bloated selves on it. Let it go for chrissake.

I'm not so sure these people are 'grumpy' Before the signage was removed it didn't say City of SPORTS Champions. Yes , sports did play a small part in it. But as has been mentioned countless times,the whole thing started with the volunteerism that played a huge part in the Black Friday tornado and how Edmontonians jumped in to help. I'd say that those people fall into the ' champions' category.

If you look around Edmonton there is a huge percentage of citizens that volunteer their time freely to help people in crisis.

People who volunteer at Ronald McDonald House....They are Champions

People who volunteer at Sorrentino's Compassion House...They are Champions

People who volunteer for the Boy's and Girls club...They are Champions

and the list goes on. So hopefully we can look past this notion that it only has to do with sports.
    Last edited by Barry N; 13-04-2016 at 08:57 AM.

Maybe it should be "City of Volunteers"
    But why do we even need a slogan? Slogans are for insecure hick towns.

That's what we should put on the signs

"Slogans are for insecure hick towns"
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry N View Post
    If you look around Edmonton there is a huge percentage of citizens that volunteer their time freely to help people in crisis.
    So what are you implying, that Edmonton is the only city in Canada, where people volunteer? I think if you went to a small town, you would find a higher percentage volunteerism, not lower, so its hardly unique - there were plenty of volunteers in High River for example. IMO, just put simple low cost signs at every entrance stating "City of Edmonton". Let the city talk for itself, doesn't need a slogan thought up by some expensive marketing consultant, or some fancy glass pyramid.

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    So what are you implying, that Edmonton is the only city in Canada, where people volunteer? I think if you went to a small town, you would find a higher percentage volunteerism, not lower, so its hardly unique - there were plenty of volunteers in High River for example. IMO, just put simple low cost signs at every entrance stating "City of Edmonton". Let the city talk for itself, doesn't need a slogan thought up by some expensive marketing consultant, or some fancy glass pyramid.
    Deep sigh

Deep sigh
    The only way you can justify the "City of Champions" moniker is to dilute & expand the definition of "champion" to the point of meaninglessness, to a point where it'd apply to just about everywhere. Like a participation trophy, the antithesis of real championship.

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post

I'm not so sure these people are 'grumpy' Before the signage was removed it didn't say City of SPORTS Champions. Yes , sports did play a small part in it. But as has been mentioned countless times,the whole thing started with the volunteerism that played a huge part in the Black Friday tornado and how Edmontonians jumped in to help. I'd say that those people fall into the ' champions' category.

People who volunteer at Ronald McDonald House....They are Champions

People who volunteer at Sorrentino's Compassion House...They are Champions

People who volunteer for the Boy's and Girls club...They are Champions

and the list goes on. So hopefully we can look past this notion that it only has to do with sports.
    Very weak argument. Most major cities/towns etc run across a catastrophe in their times. When it happens citizens rally around to help each other. It's human nature for most people to give a hand in these situations. Now, by that measure just about every city could be called 'city of champions'. It's a sentiment that could be given anywhere and the more it's given the sentiment is watered down. As for the volunteering, well you're clasping at straws.
    Best idea was ed-Tel's. Put up a classy digital sign saying 'Welcome to Edmonton'. Then maybe add things that are going on in the city that week like 'K Days, Have Fun' etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    Best idea was ed-Tel's. Put up a classy digital sign saying 'Welcome to Edmonton'. Then maybe add things that are going on in the city that week like 'K Days, Have Fun' etc.
    Sort of like Vegas North, or that tacky wonder of a town, Niagara falls? Make it neon... The problem with digital signs, or expensive signs, is you end up doing one or two entrances (like the airport), and then missing the couple of dozen other ways people can drive into the city from. Maybe a two pronged approach then - one fancy sign, lots of simple ones.

How about

"WELCOME TO EDMONTON"
    "Home of the Edmonton Oilers Golf Team"
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Sort of like Vegas North, or that tacky wonder of a town, Niagara falls? Make it neon... The problem with digital signs, or expensive signs, is you end up doing one or two entrances (like the airport), and then missing the couple of dozen other ways people can drive into the city from. Maybe a two pronged approach then - one fancy sign, lots of simple ones.
    I did not say make it tacky or neon. I said build a classy digital sign. A simple but elegant column to house the electronics.
    Not something modeled on this:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=class...w=1093&bih=494

Something a lot more elegant.

Ya know we have a fairly long thread on "Poor Civic Attitude" in the rants section that has been fairly lively...

Then this gets posted:
    This has gotta be the only City in Canada where a group of diverse "Order of Canada" recipients would get called a "bunch of old fogies".

Sure disagree with their project/cause, even vehemently, but do it with some class...

I've tried to get a couple people nominated for the "Order of Canada" and it is a difficult/extensive process... not like they hand them out like gummy candies.

And we wonder why the City has a "Poor Civic Attitude".

Here is an example

IMO

T

By the same token just because someone has the Order of Canada (or you think they should have one) it does not mean everything they say or want in right. I think the City of Champions slogan has had it's day. Even the younger generation of Edmontonian's don't seem to know what it stood for. If it has to be explained then is it worth it?.

By the same token just because someone has the Order of Canada (or you think they should have one) it does not mean everything they say or want in right. I think the City of Champions slogan has had it's day. Even the younger generation of Edmontonian's don't seem to know what it stood for. If it has to be explained then is it worth it?.
    Which is why I said...
    Sure disagree with their project/cause, even vehemently, but do it with some class...
    I never said I even agree with them...but how about a little class when disagreeing with people that have earned one of the highest recognition's our country can offer.

Heck disagreeing with anyone I would think we should at least try and do it with a little class

IMO

T

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Hinderks View Post
    I've tried to get a couple people nominated for the "Order of Canada" and it is a difficult/extensive process... not like they hand them out like gummy candies.
    600-800 nominations & up to 220 admissions annually.

So that's what I had to scoop around in the gummy bear bulk bin.

They should do what Calgary does and just make a new slogan every few years that offends every visitor driving through town. Or better yet don't bother with the slogans.

600-800 nominations & up to 220 admissions annually.
    Thanks Noodle...that is approved nominations BTW. The process to get that far is extensive and I have been through it 4 times now. Selection is made from the approved nominations.

So that's what I had to scoop around in the gummy bear bulk bin.
    Context... 220 awarded...33+ million population

Hardly gummie bear commonality.

But arguing numbers misses the point of the original post...

This has gotta be the only City in Canada where a group of diverse "Order of Canada" recipients would get called a "bunch of old fogies".

IMO

As far as the sign...who cares? Not me, one way or the other

T

Tom just because you are an old fogey doesn't mean you have to stick up for all of them. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Tom just because you are an old fogey doesn't mean you have to stick up for all of them. lol
    lol

Yeah but sticking up for a little class is worthwhile.

Who you calling old?

IMO

T

Me old

Funny, my cursive search of the term "old fogey" doesn't return anything derogatory enough to warrant a human rights complaint or a social justice warrior movement. A harmless phrase as far as I can tell. But hey, keep splitting hairs, I hear that's a nice pastime for bored fogeys.

Funny, my cursive search of the term "old fogey" doesn't return anything derogatory enough to warrant a human rights complaint or a social justice warrior movement. A harmless phrase as far as I can tell. But hey, keep splitting hairs, I hear that's a nice pastime for bored fogeys.
    Really...your post makes the point for me. Thanks

BTW...haven't been bored in years

Seems good manners are passe'...shame as I see it good manners often go with a good attitude.

T

Default Slogan is trademarked

So, listening on talk radio today, seems City of Champions is a trade marked slogan that was purchased by Mark Cuban for $40,000. He lets cities use it when they have at least two championship teams, no Tornados required:

http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2016...-sharks-titles

So, listening on talk radio today, seems City of Champions is a trade marked slogan that was purchased by Mark Cuban for $40,000. He lets cities use it when they have at least two championship teams, no Tornados required:

http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2016...-sharks-titles
    Oh we must have some sort of prior use right, don't we???? Ours wasn't totally related to sports teams but to volunteer response in a crisis, etc.

Bored fogeys - that would be young fogeys right.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_fogey

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Oh we must have some sort of prior use right, don't we???? Ours wasn't totally related to sports teams but to volunteer response in a crisis, etc.
    FTFY. Let's not keep spouting revisionist claptrap. The usage of City of Champions as a moniker for Edmonton predates Black Friday by years.

FTFY. Let's not keep spouting revisionist claptrap. The usage of City of Champions as a moniker for Edmonton predates Black Friday by years.
    Interesting. You'll have to provide some actual backup to that or it may be you "spouting revisionist claptrap".

Personally, I don't recall hearing it before then. Do you?

This is also worth reading. Connect2edmonton even gets mention a couple times.

Edmonton as "The City of Champions"
    Apr 13, 2010
    Media Culture & Socity Blogs - University of Alberta

In 1987, in the aftermath of the Black Friday incident where a tornado tore through Edmonton, then mayor Laurence Decor gave the city the moniker of “City of Champions” in response to the outstanding effort the cities citizens showed in coping with this disaster.[1] Coincidentally at the time the cities sports teams, most notably the Edmonton Oilers, were in the midst of an incredibly successful run of numerous championship seasons. Over the years, this slogan has become associated with the success of these sports franc

The appropriation of the slogan was so successful that many Edmonton residents and even the book “The Edmonton book of everything” say the slogan was originally introduced because of Edmonton’s success at sports[3]. Though the slogan of Edmonton was co-opted because of the success of both the Edmonton Oilers and the Edmonton Eskimos in the eighties, the slogan has become largely associated with the Edmonton Oilers
    http://media-culture-society-blog.bl...champions.html

~
    Last edited by KC; 03-06-2016 at 11:44 AM.

Emphasis mine. Directly from the City of Edmonton & not some random BlogSpot blog.

Where did the naming of Edmonton as City of Champions come from? Was it sanctioned by the City?

The use of the slogan in Edmonton dates back to 1984, when Councillor Cavanagh and Leo Leclerc coined it as a way to promote Edmonton. Its use was popularized in 1987, when Mayor Lawrence Decore used it to describe Edmonton’s response to the tornado. Edmonton Sun columnist Terry Jones also used it in 1987, when the Edmonton Eskimos and Edmonton Oilers both won championships. The City never officially sanctioned the slogan
    http://webdocs.edmonton.ca/occtopusd...2003COC009.doc

^shame nobody bothered to license it (for a mere 40k), now a very clever billionaire is making money off it by selling it to cities when they have legit sports champions. This could have been a money earner for COE, "you can be a champion city too..."... Now this phrase has real meaning in the US, it represents a brief (albeit costly) slogan for a cities residents to honour it's champion teams. Mark Cuban is a lot smarter than those who want to keep flogging this dead horse, time to move on...
    Last edited by moahunter; 03-06-2016 at 12:30 PM.

Interesting. You'll have to provide some actual backup to that or it may be you "spouting revisionist claptrap".

Personally, I don't recall hearing it before then. Do you?

This is also worth reading. Connect2edmonton even gets mention a couple times.

Edmonton as "The City of Champions"
    Apr 13, 2010
    Media Culture & Socity Blogs - University of Alberta

In 1987, in the aftermath of the Black Friday incident where a tornado tore through Edmonton, then mayor Laurence Decor gave the city the moniker of “City of Champions” in response to the outstanding effort the cities citizens showed in coping with this disaster.[1] Coincidentally at the time the cities sports teams, most notably the Edmonton Oilers, were in the midst of an incredibly successful run of numerous championship seasons. Over the years, this slogan has become associated with the success of these sports franc

The appropriation of the slogan was so successful that many Edmonton residents and even the book “The Edmonton book of everything” say the slogan was originally introduced because of Edmonton’s success at sports[3]. Though the slogan of Edmonton was co-opted because of the success of both the Edmonton Oilers and the Edmonton Eskimos in the eighties, the slogan has become largely associated with the Edmonton Oilers
    http://media-culture-society-blog.bl...champions.html

~
    Emphasis mine. Directly from the City of Edmonton & not some random BlogSpot blog.

Where did the naming of Edmonton as City of Champions come from? Was it sanctioned by the City?

The use of the slogan in Edmonton dates back to 1984, when Councillor Cavanagh and Leo Leclerc coined it as a way to promote Edmonton. Its use was popularized in 1987, when Mayor Lawrence Decore used it to describe Edmonton’s response to the tornado. Edmonton Sun columnist Terry Jones also used it in 1987, when the Edmonton Eskimos and Edmonton Oilers both won championships. The City never officially sanctioned the slogan
    Excellent work. My prior searches only brought up the Decore reference and this is the first time I've seen the Leclerc-Cavanagh reference. So I stand corrected.

By the way, this is one of the references I'd based my thinking on:
    (seems Decore just tried to repurpose it.)

http://rivercitywriter.com/the-edmon...of-everything/

"In fact, the “City of Champions” name was coined by former mayor Laurence Decore after Black Friday. It has nothing to do with River City’s sports teams. It is meant to refer to the fact that Edmonton, after coming together as a community in response to the tornado, was a city of champions (i.e., all Edmontonians are champions)."

So, Bob, the next time you have a guy like Eric Francis and callers calling in mentioning that we should take the sign down saying "City of Champions" because the Oilers and Esks can't make the playoffs, could you please remind them the term "City of Champions" has nothing to do with the success of the professional sports teams, but rather a reminder of Black Friday and the manner in which we recovered from that incident? Please?"

More from your find. Very interesting. Thanks for digging it up.

Council has formally supported only one slogan – “The Oil Capital of Canada”, which dates back to 1947. None of the other slogans were approved by Council or protected by copyright. The Administration has indicated to EDE that its support will be limited to the placement of the new brand on civic advertising, pending Council approval.

As a matter of interest, Edmonton’s previous slogans are as follows:

• Canada’s Richest Mixed Farming District,
    • Crossroads of the World,
    • Heart of Canada’s Great North West,
    • City of Champions,
    • Gateway to the North,
    • Smart City,
    • Volunteer Capital of Canada,
    • Canada’s Festival City,
    • Official Host City for the Turn of the Century, and
    • Top of the World.

7. What will happen to the existing brand names and slogans the city currently uses, and how many brand names does the city have?

March 28, 2003

Last edited by KC; 03-06-2016 at 04:20 PM.

Editorial: City of champion rehashing
    http://edmontonjournal.com/opinion/e...pion-rehashing

Like watching the Edmonton Oilers with a 3-0 lead in the third period’s dying minutes, Edmontonians thought it was safe to move on.

But the City of Champions controversy has returned and that’s almost as inconceivable and frustrating as the Anaheim Ducks coming back in Game 5.

It was almost exactly two years ago that Edmonton city council voted to cast off what was seen as a obsolete tagline from several highway entrance signs, which like the slogan itself, evoke all the stylistic flair of a wood-panelled basement rumpus room in the 1980s.

Coun. Tony Caterina is calling for the civic rallying cry to be resurrected and the issue will be dutifully rehashed on May 30.

The issue’s return dovetails with the resurgence in popularity and on-ice success of the city’s NHL franchise. But with the Oilers still battling in the preliminary rounds after 11 years out of the playoffs, it seems somewhat premature to dub ourselves civic titleholders of anything — other than the rousing of sleeping dogs, recycling of worn-out material, or re-enacting the movie Groundhog Day.

Caterina insists he’s not reclaiming this hoary debate from the trash heap because of the Oilers’ coincidental return to glory. He reminds us that the slogan has nothing to do with sports at all, but is dedicated to the volunteers who cleaned up the city in the devastating aftermath of the deadly 1987 tornado.

That claim has been around as long as the slogan itself yet most people still associate the catchphrase with sporting achievement alone. Visitors too can be expected to continue mocking the self-proclaimed city of winners when its athletes fall short.

To erase any confusion, Caterina wants the moniker back, this time with an explanation of what it actually means. But slogans which require footnotes or explanatory origin stories automatically fail the job of quickly conveying the intended message.

Muddying the waters, there are other communities which call themselves City of Champions and make no bones about the fact it’s because of sporting accolades. There’s Duncanville, Texas, Brockton, Mass., and Inglewood, Calif. to name only a few of North America’s cities of champions.

That Edmonton would share the City of Champions name with various small- to mid-sized municipalities is yet another strike against it. If Edmonton really needs a slogan, let it not be a generic label but one that reflects a unique and compelling city.

Sadly, to outsiders and residents alike, it’s the endless bickering about whether Edmonton should be called the City of Champions that says more about the place than any slogan ever could.
    Fully agree, especially the last sentence.

Maybe if Caterina actually showed up to City Council meetings he'd know the issue is long-settled. He wasn't even there for the last vote on the signs. What a schmuck.

^^^

• Canada’s Richest Mixed Farming District, The Fraser Valley might be closer to the truth
    • Crossroads of the World, Times Square?
    • Heart of Canada’s Great North West, Might be..
    • City of Champions, Really?
    • Gateway to the North, Might be..
    • Smart City, Definitely not by this thread
    • Volunteer Capital of Canada, Proud achievement
    • Canada’s Festival City, Proud achievement
    • Official Host City for the Turn of the Century, and Who said?
    • Top of the World. Definitely not, not even close, you need a geography lesson

"Official Host City for the Turn of the Century, and Who said?"

The phone books. That slogan actually made it onto the side binding of the phone directories one year, before any further usage was scrapped by public ridicule.

While I agree the nickname was pretty silly, the fact that it actually got itself into official use I consider to be a quirky entry into the canon of local colour.

'It dawned on me how important this is to our culture:' Fans say Edmonton still the City of Champions
    http://www.metronews.ca/news/edmonto...champions.html

Seriously? This is why I think Edmonton still has a way to go before it can consider itself a big city. Because the people here still want to be an inferior hick town that relies on lame slogans and giant baseball bats to define itself.

Hopefully they don't spend to much time debating this old chestnut. This must be Caterina's way of getting attention before the civic elections. "Look guys, I'm still here" while waving City of Champions sign.

“You have to be a champion to survive -40 Celsius winters and driving on ice roads for eight months,”
    Or else just someone without enough money to re-locate.
    Last edited by overoceans; 11-05-2017 at 11:56 AM.

Preferably over oceans too.

Must be Silly Season, digging up this shite again.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Some real winners on council. Jeez, isn't there business to take care of?

Actually, I am someone who would qualify as a hero by that guy's standards, because assuming I had no other reason to stay in Korea and I was choosing where to live according to the overall weather, I would take Edmonton, winters and all, over Korea. The summers here are borderline prohibitive.

Quote Originally Posted by overoceans View Post
    Actually, I am someone who would qualify as a hero by that guy's standards, because assuming I had no other reason to stay in Korea and I was choosing where to live according to the overall weather, I would take Edmonton, winters and all, over Korea. The summers here are borderline prohibitive.
    Unique perspective but one I share. I love the seasons here and I love our Summers, just that they could be a little longer.. But lots of places are too hot in the summer for my liking. Also we're not as humid. Heat and humidity do me in.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Heard this one on the radio And it sounded like a good slogan for a capital city.

EDMONTON. Inspire. Capital.

At least that's how I assume it would be spelt after hearing it on CBC the other day.

Insipid

What did they have, a committee and a free association game?

Opinion: Sports boast says nothing about city's enterprising spirit
    http://edmontonjournal.com/opinion/c...prising-spirit

A city isn’t a company. But if a city is going to put a tagline on its entrance signs, it ought to be the core expression of its marketing efforts and its overall strategy. It ought to bring tourism, economic development, investment and talent attraction, municipal government policy, and most importantly citizen action together under a single, unique idea.

This is where City of Champions fails: as an expression of what makes Edmonton and its people different from other mid-sized cities across the continent. There are plenty of cities of champions.

Did Calgarians respond so differently to their catastrophic flood than Edmonton to its tornado? When you ask people who aren’t promoting the slogan they will tell you it is about sports. Why? Because it is about sports.

City of Champions was on our entrance signs for a long time. Yet in 2013, in the city’s economic development plan, leaders agreed the number 1 challenge for Edmonton’s future was its image and reputation. Market research confirmed their feelings. As travellers know, from conversations at hotel lounges all over Canada: when your teams aren’t winning, the word “champion” suggests its opposite.

Is Edmonton unique? Yes, absolutely, and you can find this uniqueness in the way we build together. The Heritage Classic shares something with Stantec, Bioware, PCL, Running Room, Boston Pizza, Shaw, Jobber, and hundreds of other companies that launched in this laboratory of a city. It shares a spirit with the Fringe and the Food Bank, waste management, a new model for public schools, and a university devoted to “uplifting the whole people.”

This spirit comes to life at a hockey game, when the PA system doesn’t work and the singer needs help with The Star-Spangled Banner.

At its simplest, Edmonton is an extraordinary blend of openness, entrepreneurship, and co-operation. If you have an idea, this is an unusually good place to do something about it. We encourage each other to start things, launch things, make things. We help.

There is a brand strategy. Citizens built Phase 1, Make Something Edmonton, and you can see and feel its effects in thousands of projects all over the city, from lights on the High Level Bridge to community gardens and new companies. You saw and felt the tourism expression of it, Edmonton Original, in television commercials during the NHL playoffs. It’s working. And it’s just beginning.

As Mayor Don Iveson said in his state of the city speech on Wednesday, “this city of quiet confidence is on the verge of something extraordinary.”

No one says you have to stop thinking Edmonton is the city of champions. Commission a piece of public art about sports victories, from the Edmonton Grads to the Orange Crush, to honour that history.
    Todd Babiak for Mayor!

As Mayor Don Iveson said in his state of the city speech on Wednesday, “this city of quiet confidence is on the verge of something extraordinary.”

Hoo boi.

If there's one overused turn of phrase about Emmonton this would have to be it.

Top_Dawg has been hearing that since ol' Ivy Dent was chief abortionist.

A city isn’t a company. But if a city is going to put a tagline on its entrance signs, it ought to be the core expression of its marketing efforts and its overall strategy. It ought to bring tourism, economic development, investment and talent attraction, municipal government policy, and most importantly citizen action together under a single, unique idea.

This is where City of Champions fails: as an expression of what makes Edmonton and its people different from other mid-sized cities across the continent. There are plenty of cities of champions.

Did Calgarians respond so differently to their catastrophic flood than Edmonton to its tornado? When you ask people who aren’t promoting the slogan they will tell you it is about sports. Why? Because it is about sports.

City of Champions was on our entrance signs for a long time. Yet in 2013, in the city’s economic development plan, leaders agreed the number 1 challenge for Edmonton’s future was its image and reputation. Market research confirmed their feelings. As travellers know, from conversations at hotel lounges all over Canada: when your teams aren’t winning, the word “champion” suggests its opposite.

Is Edmonton unique? Yes, absolutely, and you can find this uniqueness in the way we build together. The Heritage Classic shares something with Stantec, Bioware, PCL, Running Room, Boston Pizza, Shaw, Jobber, and hundreds of other companies that launched in this laboratory of a city. It shares a spirit with the Fringe and the Food Bank, waste management, a new model for public schools, and a university devoted to “uplifting the whole people.”

This spirit comes to life at a hockey game, when the PA system doesn’t work and the singer needs help with The Star-Spangled Banner.

At its simplest, Edmonton is an extraordinary blend of openness, entrepreneurship, and co-operation. If you have an idea, this is an unusually good place to do something about it. We encourage each other to start things, launch things, make things. We help.

There is a brand strategy. Citizens built Phase 1, Make Something Edmonton, and you can see and feel its effects in thousands of projects all over the city, from lights on the High Level Bridge to community gardens and new companies. You saw and felt the tourism expression of it, Edmonton Original, in television commercials during the NHL playoffs. It’s working. And it’s just beginning.

No one says you have to stop thinking Edmonton is the city of champions. Commission a piece of public art about sports victories, from the Edmonton Grads to the Orange Crush, to honour that history.
    Todd Babiak for Mayor!
    Slogans are definitely job creators but only insofar as they employ marketing people. Skim this list. How many would entice you to do anything at all differently in relations to any of these places?
    If anything they narrow and limit, rather than expand, the perception of a city. Worse, think of the money spent annually on these things. Seems like everyone's doing it.

City Slogans & Nicknames of US Cities - Offices.net
    All inclusive list of US city nicknames as well as official and unofficial slogans.

http://www.offices.net/city-slogans.htm

Canada’s best, worst and most confusing city slogans, from the ‘Land of Rape and Honey’ to ‘Be NF’
    Douglas Quan | December 23, 2015
    http://news.nationalpost.com/news/ca...honey-to-be-nf

New City Slogans of 2011
    The best - and strangest - in urban catch phrases
    MARK BYRNES Dec 28, 2011

https://www.citylab.com/design/2011/...gans-2011/815/

'If Your Place Needs a Slogan, It Has a Problem': A Conversation with the Creative Director of Manchester

After a career spent designing album covers, Peter Saville talks about his unique role in crafting his hometown's identity.
    MARK BYRNES Apr 25, 2012

What made him critical of the city:

I saw the results of the '90s building boom and was frustrated with the architecture that resulted. It just wasn’t very good. Architecture serves as a signifier and even one building can change the perception of place. We've seen that in Bilbao — most people had not even heard of it before the Guggenheim.

Other issues, I later realized, were really just matters of supply and demand. Disposable income is different now than it was in the '60s. We see money spent on entertainment more than industry and that ends up shaping the culture of the place.

I had not aspired to any form of urbanism or place branding. In fact, I was moving away from commercial design but they asked me and it mattered to me. I saw that the ambition was not a match with reality. The brand obviously already existed, it was quite clear what it was, the brand was Manchester.

On city logotypes and slogans:

I was not interested in an official city logotype or a slogan. City logotypes do little and slogans are a sign of insecurity. If your place needs a slogan, it has a problem. A brand is not just a logotype, it's a set of values that are communicated through actions.

Coining the phrase, ..."

https://www.citylab.com/design/2012/...nchester/1822/
    Bolding was mine.
    Last edited by KC; 29-05-2017 at 02:12 PM.

We kept K days, which means absolutely nothing. But city of champions can't be put back. I think Iverson is an asshat he's not getting my vote, neither is colonel Sanders!

Voted down. Thank God!

Take a look at @estolte's Tweet: https://twitter.com/estolte/status/8...398290432?s=09

Nice that Tony made it to this one. He wasn't present the last time.

Can City Council please get back to doing their jobs & less time bikeshedding?

Voted down. Thank God!

Take a look at @estolte's Tweet: https://twitter.com/estolte/status/8...398290432?s=09

Thank god? LOL. I thought it was a good idea, but I wouldn't thank God either way.lol

The group continuing to push for it is like Envision Edmonton version 2.0

“Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    We spent a million plus to come up with that? I am not a fan of the logotype chosen - and the understated and almost invisible Maple Leaf. Is the Maple Leaf an after thought? Its so small its meaningless. Look at what other cities have: https://www.pinterest.com/explore/city-logo/

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    Cripes

C2E SME

So it's basically the Macleans logo. Bravo.

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...new-city-brand

It sounded like a big unveil, but Edmonton’s new slogan is rather simple in the end.“This is it; this is our one-word brand,” said Brad Ferguson, posting a slide of the word “Edmonton” with a small Canadian maple leaf for a period.

The head of Edmonton’s Economic Development Corporation shared an update with council’s executive committee Tuesday on its four-year effort to redevelop Edmonton’s brand and image.

The re-branding effort has a focus – four words to describe the essence of Edmonton – but no slogan. They hope it will captivate Edmonton residents and help the city market itself across the Northern hemisphere, especially for the 18- to 34-year-old demographic.

EEDC and city officials believe the words that describe Edmonton are: inventive, open, courageous and cooperative.
    Their sentence is: “If you have the courage to take an idea to reality, to build, to make something, Edmonton is your city.”

Ferguson said for years Edmonton’s brand or image has been that of an industrial, tough and rough city. That’s affected tourism and local companies’ ability to attract necessary talent.
    This re-branding builds on the work of Make Something Edmonton, an online forum where 2,000 local residents posted their own stories about what they are building and making.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

I like it...and I don't.

I hate slogans for cities. Cities are not a single product; rather, a product of several things. People, culture, weather, geography, resources, employment, immigration...the list is lengthy. Like "A Downtown for Everyone"...a slogan can be exclusive as well as inclusive, insulting as well as complimentary. Anyone remember "It's cooler here!"?

Slogans for a team, or a company...well that is simpler IMO. You are normally selling one thing, or a set of similar things. You are playing one sport...which aligns to a set of clichés or vocabulary.

Using the word Edmonton is a simple exercise. It actually recognizes that most people define Edmonton in their own way. As I work on several initiatives that try to dispel some of the issues the word Edmonton brings...you get to see what people actually think of the area. They don't hate us, they don't like us...they actually don't think of us at all many times. Our accomplishments go unnoticed. So...I like the simple EDMONTON approach because it doesn't try to pretend to be anything else. No words of exciting...world class...best...greatest...

What we do need to do is stop pretending we're something we're not. Why do we have such a hate for the word industrial? We are an industrial town...and that is the reason why we are as affluent as we are! Embrace it. If we want to diversify, then look at industries that align to our strengths and stop wishing that other industries will just magically set up shop because we give tax breaks.

Spending a ton of money on this has me not liking it so much...but hey...after being through several branding sessions...I guess they need to be paid too.

Overall, I'm ok with putting a checkmark in the slogan box...and moving on to more important business...like actually diversifying our offerings...
    Tired of being taken advantage of .

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    So it's basically the Macleans logo. Bravo.

No. The maple leaf is tiny, "period" as in the dot at the end of a sentence ...a little bigger than a dot. Might look ok on good stationary though.
    Last edited by EdmTrekker; 04-07-2017 at 08:39 PM.

I don't know why we're aligning ourselves with Canada, anyway. Nothing against the country, but why do we have to market it in the logo? Has there been some concern that people elsewhere view Edmonton as unpatriotic?

If anything, why not a small pyramid, which has the twin virtues of being both more minimalist, and more directly connected to Edmonton's visual milieu, than the maple leaf is.

RichardS:

I agree with you about it being ridiculous to run away from an industry-centric identity. It reminds me of certain boosters who get paranoid about the city being viewed as "northern" or "cold", as if anyone is gonna be duped into thinking that it's Palm Springs.
    Last edited by overoceans; 05-07-2017 at 10:49 AM.

Checking out the logos of Montreal, Toronto, Winnipeg, Calgary, and Vancouver, it appears that none of them contain the maple leaf or any other recognizable reference to Canada qua Canada. I'm guessing the same is true for most other civic logos in the country.
    Last edited by overoceans; 05-07-2017 at 10:51 AM.

1.5m a year to rip off the Macleans logo? Okey dokey.

Did you read the full story Moahunter? quite obvious you haven't.

$1.5 million for the word Edmonton and a sentence is very decent money if you can get it.
    They could try to re-propose "Official host city of the turn of the century"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12