Thread: Should Edmonton have a CWHL team?

C2E SME

Default Should Edmonton have a CWHL team?

I had learned of this league a little while ago and I have thought that Edmonton should have a team. Of course there is issues of owners, etc... but there should be enough interest in another level of hockey and pro team to come to town here. There is already a Calgary team so an Edmonton team would be a natural.

http://www.cwhl.ca/view/cwhl
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Before I followed your link I don't think I'd heard of it.

I suppose the question is something like who wants to own it?

Maybe after we have the downtown arena built, but the last women's team was playing at River Cree, indicating they might need to start small, so the Community Rink seems a natural fit. What are they playing in in Cowtown?
    Let's make Edmonton better.

C2E SME

Well according to their Wikipedia entry they play their home games at the Joan Snyder arena at the Canada Olympic Park. The arena seating looks like it is only 220.

I could see the community rink being a great location for this team, or a whole lot of other brand new arenas here in the city. I can imagine the operating budget wouldn't be that much.

Also, apparently the Edmonton Chimos and the Strathmore Rockies of the WWHL were joined together to form an Alberta team which is now the Calgary Inferno of the CWHL.
    Last edited by Edmcowboy11; 13-03-2015 at 03:48 AM. Reason: More information found

C2E Continued Contributor

Here is an interesting article on the CWHL, and how it won't really be viable for the forseeable future without the NHL's support. Pretty stark contrast between the NHL's involvement in this and say, the NBA/WNBA.

http://www.stanleycupofchowder.com/2...s-embarrassing

This city has a hard time supporting its junior teams already which are very good and entertaining hockey games. I can't see a women's team garnering much more support than those teams and with the long distance of travel for this league I doubt that its viable. Nevermind paying these athletes.

Personally form watching a few national women's hockey games I don't see it as nearly entertaining as even a junior A men's game- the speed and physicality of the game is just not there for me. Just my two cents.

C2E SME

It's unfortunate that the NHL isn't willing to support this league. When I think of it more, there are more than enough players that we could see teams in Calgary (already there), Edmonton, Vancouver, Regina, Red Deer, Winnipeg, and that's only in Canada. The more women's teams, the more we'll not only see more local players but maybe we'll start seeing more international players coming to Canada to play at a higher level than what is available in their own country.

C2E Continued Contributor

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=758859. Would be nice if the Oilers and other NHL teams could do what the Canadiens are doing.
    My antidepressent drug of choice is running. Cheaper with less side effects!

C2E SME

So 3 years later (from the last post) and unfortunately nothing yet for Edmonton. So why is Calgary able to suport a team and Edmonton can't? Womens hockey is growing, Edmonton should get in on the action with our own team.