Thread: Lancaster KB882: From Edmundston to Edmonton

I'd rather C2E than work!

Default Lancaster KB882: From Edmundston to Edmonton

On the recommendation of the Society for the preservation of the Edmundston Lancaster, City officials in the Edmundston, New Brunswick have voted to transfer their aging Lancaster bomber to the Alberta Aviation Museum in Edmonton. The World War II aircraft has been a landmark near the border between Quebec and the New Brunswick city for more than 50 yeare.
    http://edmundston.ca/en/renseignemen...ton-a-edmonton
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

C2E SME

I am sooooo very excited to see this airplane coming to Edmonton!!!!!
    Last edited by Edmcowboy11; 17-03-2015 at 11:56 PM.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Whoop-de-do!!! I mean, sorry for Edmundston but .

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries
    Onward and upward

C2E SME

Made it out to the press conference today. Some of the media was there as well as of course museum officials, including Lech Lebiedowski Alberta Aviation Museum Curator.

Lancaster press conference by paulsmolik, on Flickr

As soon as possible (when the snow melts) the curator and a team will be going to NB to assess the condition of the Lancaster and prepare it for transporting it to Edmonton by train.

I think one major question I have is where are they going to be able to park the plane. I think this is the time that the City of Edmonton, Province of Alberta and maybe even the Federal Government step up to help provide fundings. Personally I think some sort of additional Hanger or at least something to help shield the Lanc and other planes from the elements would be wise.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

I'm glad you made it out today...this is a pretty exciting acquisition for the museum!

The AAM is undergoing a rather large transition right now. A new interpretive plan is underway, and now that the Lancaster can be confirmed and announced, plans are underway for how it will be housed in the existing hangar. The AAM has entered into a very positive and collaborative phase with the City of Edmonton, the EHC, and the Blatchford community to be a showpiece for the new development. Everyone involved wants the history and impact of CYXD to be commemorated, and this Lancaster is a great way to tie in the Northern mapping and exploration.

408 Squadron was there as well, and they are beyond excited to have a piece of their history coming here. They are rounding up volunteers to assist the museum with this project.

Donors are now confirming their initial offers now that the vote at Edmundston City Council is complete. The folks out in Edmundston should be congratulated for all the work they've done, and the museum will make sure to commemmorate this work.

Anyone can get involved or get more information on both the Lancaster and the new Interpretive Plan/Transition plan for the museum by e-mailing [email protected] You can donate via the web at https://www.albertaaviationmuseum.co...line-donations. 780-451-1175 is the phone number.
    Onward and upward

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries
    Onward and upward

C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

Glad to help, with this valuable cause!
    Edmontonian and proud of it!

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Awesome! Thank you!

Thanks 24 for the thread bump and the link.

FYI - if you prefer to donate via cheque or PayPal, you can visit the museum's Donation Page for more options.

Please e-mail [email protected] for a tax receipt.
    Onward and upward

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

All,

We just received a $25,000 donation this afternoon from one private donor. He is debating whether or not he wants his name published, but the deed is fair game!

We are very grateful. There are a couple more large donation announcements coming, and we definitely appreciate every amount that people send. This aircraft is one of the many responsible for surveying and finding the very resources and opportunities that help Edmonton continue to be the economic powerhouse it is!

http://www.albertaaviationmuseum.com...line-donations

Every little bit helps! We will issue tax receipt on request and for any donation over $25.
    Onward and upward

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Just one question: Why is EmailPrint in the header?
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

I have no idea.
    Onward and upward

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

In March 2015, the Alberta Aviation Museum in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada was chosen to be the recipient of historic Avro Lancaster Bomber KB882 from over 4,100 kilometres away in the City of Edmunston, New Brunswick, Canada. Fundraising efforts are now underway to transport Lancaster KB882 from Edmunston NB to Edmonton AB for restoration and permanent in door preservation.

KB882 is unique. Of only 17 remaining Lancasters in the world, and only 2 that fly, KB882 will be the only Lancaster to retain a Cold War paint scheme as well as fuselage extension for photography and radar work in order to tell the story of Operation SHORAN, the mapping of Canada's arctic before the age of satellites, on top of all of the Second Wold War stories made famous by this aircraft.

The Alberta Aviation Museum is now fundraising to make this project happen. Donations can be made in three ways:
    1. by cheque, made out to the Alberta Aviation Museum with the note: Lancaster
    2. via Paypal at www.albertaaviationmuseum.com/donations ... -donations
    3. GoFundMe at: http://www.gofundme.com/lancaster

Please help us save this historic aircraft.

Sincerely,
    David Jackson CD
    Treasurer
    Alberta Aviation Museum
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    [email protected]

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Default Lancaster KB882

Momentum is building!

Tim Mols, the relocation project manager, was on site this week doing some prep to move the aircraft. The bomb bay was even opened.

You can see more photo's at: https://www.facebook.com/LancasterKB882

You can help move this piece of history to Edmonton.

Donations can be made in three ways:

1. by cheque, made out to the Alberta Aviation Museum with the note: Lancaster

2. via Paypal at http://www.albertaaviationmuseum.com/donations ... -donations

3. GoFundMe at: http://www.gofundme.com/lancaster

Please help us save this historic aircraft.

Sincerely,
    David Jackson CD
    Treasurer
    Alberta Aviation Museum
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    [email protected]

Rare Lancaster bomber grounded in New Brunswick after Edmonton restoration plans fall flat - Edmonton - CBC News
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...flat-1.3618859

Ugh.

Perhaps the story will help reach deeper pockets.

I doubt it. The world has changed, the population has changed. Most Canadians today may see nothing of value in old WWII artifacts.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    I doubt it. The world has changed, the population has changed. Most Canadians today may see nothing of value in old WWII artifacts.
    Source?

I am a little surprised the 300k can't be met, I wish I had the money to help. Shame.

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Source?

I am a little surprised the 300k can't be met, I wish I had the money to help. Shame.
    Source for what?

Aging and change?

$300,000 isn't much these days. That should be evidence enough.

Anyway, maybe these articles explain some of the changes. A lack of teaching Canadian history probably explains a lot too. The population is turning over and the new population has new focus and priorities.

People without a family or historical connection to the events of the past likely don't care much about preserving that version of the past. (By analogy, just look at how Edmonton has grown and how all the historic buildings have been demolished.) The municipal airport itself is gone. Newer better uses or whatever. Only the minimal obligatory structures will be saved to reflect the munis contribution to building Edmonton, to WWII, etc.

‘DOOMED TO DISAPPEAR’:

CANADIAN SOCIETY AND CULTURE FACES POST-WAR IMMIGRATION

John Douglas Belshaw University College of the Cariboo (Canada)

Our society, if represented by a national family photograph taken in 1939, had long been replaced by another.
    In this paper I survey some of the main features of this wave of immigration, identifying how it differs and resembles..."
    Neither a melting pot of indistinguishable parts, nor a cultural mosaic of discretely different elements, the Canada of the post-1945 period is more a kaleidoscope, the elements of which shift and shuffle, overlapping and moving in and out of one another’s frame almost imperceptibly.

http://www.canadian-studies.info/lcc...14/Belshaw.pdf

Canada's foreign-born population soars to 6.8 million

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/canada...lion-1.1308179
    "44 percent believe that Canada entered the Second World War after the United States."

Does History Matter?
    Pioneering research on Canada’s attitudes toward bygone days
    IAN MILLIGAN

The field of history does not seem to be doing well in Canada these days. We have polls on Canada Day or Remembrance Day indicating how little Canadians know about pivotal historical events. Historica Canada, formerly the Historica-Dominion Institute, found that only 37 percent of Canadians knew that July 27, 2013, was the 60th anniversary of the Korean War ceasefire (the “forgotten war”); that 32 percent do not know about Laura Secord and her importance to the War of 1812; and that 44 percent believe that Canada entered the Second World War after the United States. In many universities, history undergraduate enrollment is declining, perhaps as part of the general crisis of the arts, but also possibly because of this trend toward ahistorical thinking. Firsthand, I encounter undergraduate students who sheepishly explain that Canadian history bores them.

And if there was any doubt that we were in crisis, TV Ontario’s The Agenda recently dedicated an entire episode to the question of historical literacy. Their teaser: “Sam Cooke may have sung the words ‘don’t know much about history,’ but increasingly it seems more and more people are historically illiterate. The Agenda examines what has caused us to care less about the past, and what can be done to get people excited about bygone days.” As a history professor, it is easy to lose hope.

http://reviewcanada.ca/magazine/2014...istory-matter/
    Last edited by KC; 07-06-2016 at 01:48 PM.