Thread: Urban Kids Monthly Games Night BYOB (boardgame)

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default Urban Kids Monthly Games Night BYOB (boardgame)

Urban Kids Monthly Games Night BYOB (boardgame)

Hosted by Downtown Edmonton Community League

Friday, March 20at 7:00pm

2 days from now
    10042 103 Street

Urban Kids is the children's play group of the Downtown Edmonton Community League where kids can play, explore and make friends in their neighbourhood.

Once a month we meet to play board games and chit chat. We've got kids of all ages. Some that are two years old. Some that are seven. Most of the kids live downtown, but some of them are guests of DECL members. All of us like to play games and have a good time.

Refreshments and snacks provided, but feel free to bring cookies for the group. Who in their right mind would say no to a plate of chocolate chip cookies? Not us. And we've been known to have a DJ on Friday nights because Franka likes to dance. (Wait till you meet Franka. She's our seven-year-old fearless leader who started this all and keeps us motivated.)

If you've been invited it's because
    a) You live downtown and have a child
    b) You know a DECL member who thought you might want to come downtown on a Friday night. (Remember what life was like before you had kids and you used to hang out downtown on the weekends all the time?)
    c) You're a pretty cool person and someone who lives downtown wants you there.

We'll provide a bunch of games, but if you have a favourite one, bring it. We like learning new games.

Downtown Community League memberships available for purchase at the event. Annual memberships are $5 and that includes free swim at the downtown YMCA every Sunday afternoon. There's no better deal in #yegdt.

Fb event

https://www.facebook.com/events/1014894785206077/
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E Hard Core Contributor

A kids group that starts at 7pm? Seems a bit counterproductive.

Futile attempts at trying to say downtown Edmonton is kid friendly... LOL

^you are really something. People are coming to us with ideas on how to improve the friendliness of downtown for families and you call their idea 'futile' and basically tell them to quit before they start? You should be ashamed of yourself.

^^This event was started by a mother and daughter with DECL helping facilitate it. This event drew kids last event and is growing in popularity. Urban kids drink coffee, 7pm is fine Seems like 7-830pm works well.
    Last edited by IanO; 19-03-2015 at 11:37 AM.
    www.decl.org

^you are really something too. I wont derail your thread further, but you should keep your comments in mind next time you knock something out of your 10 block area, which you are more than famous for. (See Currents of Windermere, Signature threads for prime examples).

I think the idea is futile because downtown isn't a family friendly place, and a bunch of board games isn't going to change that,

^how is it not? Amenities are far more plentiful and accessible than other areas. There are more daycares downtown than anywhere else, There is the Leg grounds, Churchill, McKay, Beaverhills, forthcoming warehouse parks as well as the river valley. The YMCA, MacEwan and Kinsmen facilities are great for families. We have an 4 elementary, a jr high, a high school within a 5mins drive. There are a few single family, townhouses, loft, bach, 1, 2, 3 bedroom apartments, many with indoor amenity spaces.

Sure we can improve the family friendliness that is downtown/central Edmonton, but it can and is done now by some and more every single day.

That aside, to come in here and call a free, accessible, family orientated event 'futile' is absolutely astonishing and quite sad.
    www.decl.org

The Leg grounds, Churchill, McKay and Beaverhills are hardly kids parks, or places where kids play, or should play.

bach, 1, 2 bedroom suites, lofts, etc, which make up 90% or more of the residences in downtown and oliver are hardly a place to raise children. The townhouses and single family homes are far and few between, especially in downtown proper

I'm not sure why the DECL is after a demographic that will never work well in environment that the DECL is. It's a futile attempt by the DECL to try and pretend like downtown is family friendly.
    Last edited by Medwards; 19-03-2015 at 12:07 PM.

Clearly you are unfamiliar with them. There are often kids in each, supervised and each present unique ways for kids to enjoy them.

Who are you to say? Yes we need more 2-3, TH options, but people raise kids in the space/environment they see fit.

'Never' say never why? Because clearly you are unaware of the numbers of kids centrally today and how it has been growing each yr and likely will continue to grow. No it will not likely be an area where most families choose to be, but some do and will.

But thanks for derailing and insulting her, their and our effort. Bravo.
    www.decl.org

Clearly, you are delusional. I have frequented those parks for years. They is hardly ever kids in them, outside of the rare hot day which the leg ground pools might see a few.

Who am I to say? Who are you to say? Who crowned you the all-knowing all seeing expert on Edmonton or even Downtown Edmonton? Has something gone to your head?

And hey, glad I could return the favour. I'm sure your next visit to threads outside of the downtown area will be just as pleasant.

Anyways, let's get back to awareness of a free, accessible, fun, family friendly event.
    www.decl.org

fair enough, I wont comment further on this thread. Sorry for commenting in the first place. Just find so much irony.

Quote Originally Posted by nobleea View Post
    I disagree, this gives families a chance to have dinner and similar. This is a great idea, I play a lot of chess, I would have loved this as a kid (I loved board games then).

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nobleea View Post
    I disagree, this gives families a chance to have dinner and similar. This is a great idea, I play a lot of chess, I would have loved this as a kid (I loved board games then).
    Below about the age of 8, the vast majority of kids will be starting their bedtime routine at 7pm.

^mine certainly didn't, and I don't expect that's the main target group here (below that age will struggle with group boardgames, although looks like much more than just that with this). My kids attend a langauge school on Friday nights till 9.30pm, I don't think 7pm start is a stretch at all for that night (no school on saturday). This is a great idea, it beats Friday night xbox by a mile.
    Last edited by moahunter; 19-03-2015 at 01:01 PM.

The Urban Kids Board Game Night was organized by DECL members who have kids that live downtown and wanted a fun way to meet other parents and kids in the neighbourhood.

If you don't have kids and you don't live downtown then it probably doesn't concern you.
    www.decl.org

This is a great idea and I applaud the parents who are shepherding it along. Frankly, I think this effort could be duplicated and successful for other leagues.

Springtime is a super time for after supper kid activities as the sunlight lingers.

All of those downtown places IanO lists are excellent places for taking kids. I would include the playground at the school I can never remember the name of... not Maurice Lavallee but...

And if I may, these kinds of bottom-up efforts are the ONLY way downtown has a hope of becoming "family friendly". To continue to rely on the powers that be (developers, city etc.) is the very definition of futility.

In some part downtown will become "family friendly" when people decide that it is.

Ian, you may want to target that theres a growing segment of parents that want more interactional kid play (vs computers or game consols) and that invite board games but also other person to person physical games like Rod hockey (what do they call it now) fooseball, pingpong etc. ps you know what old boardgames seem to fascinate kids. Old Mousetrap games and Kerplunk games. Something old school and interactional about these that gets kids laughing and fired up. Kids appreciate seeing some older games they hadn't seen before. hungry hippos and Operation being others.

Also Boys and Girls clubs believe in the value of this person to person play and instill it in their activity rooms, calenders, camping trips, etc.

So you can easily broaden the appeal of this. Not every kid is a board games kid. Some prefer more kinesthetic interaction. Which is of the same value and gets kids off the intravenous electronic devices...

Also, some fooseball leagues and knob hockey leagues have existed which might broaden your target group. Good initiative, hope it works for the kids.
    Last edited by Replacement; 19-03-2015 at 01:53 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

^Again, this is being organized by a few DECL parents and members that wanted to host a board game night for their kids and other parents and kids that live downtown. It is their program for the most part, and the participants of the group decide what they want to do event to event. The board is not directly involved in planning the activities.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
    ^Again, this is being organized by a few DECL parents and members that wanted to host a board game night for their kids and other parents and kids that live downtown. It is their program for the most part, and the participants of the group decide what they want to do event to event. The board is not directly involved in planning the activities.
    Just input that's all. Good initiative in anycase and one that I think is positive for the reasons expressed.

Again when inventing something its not necessary to reinvent the wheel everytime. The wheel is already known. Some kids can do board games, some kids can do certain board games (with a movement component that I mentioned) and some kids need kinesthetic games with much more movement.

My comments are only meant to reflect that all kinds of kids and predispositions exist and that some kids will do better with a range of options and that would allow more families and kids to take part. There would be some parents even reading this that would not take part because they know Johnny doesn't sit still long enough to play a board game. So why not offer inclusive options?

ps also puzzles are good for some kids..

Its just information, I know this stuff.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Good to see Ian. Any efforts like this are needed for the Downtown Core. Ignore the keyboard warriors.
    FREE THE LOOPING .GIF MEMES
    youtube.com/GrimEmpire

^^we are most definitely open to others coming forward to work with DECL to start up other programs, nights, activities etc.
    www.decl.org

More family friendly news!

Heather MacKenzie @Heathermacken · 22h 22 hours ago
    20 tiny soccer jerseys are on their way to @OCLYEG & @DECLorg for our brand new Urban Kids Preschool Soccer program! #yegdt is getting cuter
    www.decl.org

#awesome!
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012