Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: River Valley Mechanized Access/Funicular | Under Construction

C2E Long Term Contributor

Accompanying Global News article

Edmonton’s river valley funicular project nearing completion
    http://globalnews.ca/news/3654609/ed...ng-completion/
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Accompanying Global News article

Edmonton’s river valley funicular project nearing completion
    http://globalnews.ca/news/3654609/ed...ng-completion/
    Looking good. Just have to add the suicide barriers.

I was wondering about those...
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Construction update from 2017.09.10.

I gotta say, that design is incredible.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Love it, thanks for the pictures!

Hopefully the beauty of this project will convert some of the haters into fans...
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

Thanks for great photos.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...284355?cmp=rss

Edmonton's funicular will be taking people into and out of the river valley before winter, according to the City of Edmonton.

"We're still on track to be opening up this fall," said Jesse Banford, director of facility infrastructure delivery.
    Banford said the city is looking at doing a grand opening some time after the election in October.

"We're attending to the final touches," he said. "We're 90 to 95 per cent complete."

The work is scheduled to be done by the end of December, he said.

There will be no charge to use the funicular, which passengers can summon by pushing a call button.
    The funicular will take people from the top of the river bank, behind the Hotel Macdonald, to the mid-way point which looks out over the valley.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Interesting for mid-sept was being used not very long ago, that said, it seemed quite aggressive.
    www.decl.org

C2E Continued Contributor

^ Wonder what they're going to do for security? I am expecting that once the temperature drops it might be occupied with people trying to stay warm and possibly using it for nefarious activities.

There is not going to be 'security', but many features were incorporated through CPTED. EPS will certainly patrol it with BEATS.

With regards to the funicular itself, it is not heated and not fully enclosed so that you do not want to take shelter in it. It is partially open to make it uncomfortable to be in for long periods.
    www.decl.org

I'd rather C2E than work!

If it's a free ride you could find anybody on it. Would be scary alone in the dark. This is Edmonton so likely someone will be stabbed and robbed there within a week of opening.

C2E SME

If anybody's in the river valley, the funicular looks great lit up!
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    If it's a free ride you could find anybody on it. Would be scary alone in the dark. This is Edmonton so likely someone will be stabbed and robbed there within a week of opening.
    Come on man.
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

It's very much open space.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

maybe we should start charging a fee to use our sidewalks and picnic areas and park benches and pedways too?
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Mla View Post
    ^ Wonder what they're going to do for security? I am expecting that once the temperature drops it might be occupied with people trying to stay warm and possibly using it for nefarious activities.

Yeah, given the long history of crime on that nearby staircase, Top_Dawg fully expects this fornicular to be a total $hit and pi$$ magnet.

Both literally and figuratively.

You could leave out the, "this is Edmonton" part of that. Crime and violence are not just an Edmonton problem.

C2E SME

This area is also lit quite well at night.

C2E SME

I wonder if the city is pushing for the funicular to be finished before the municipal election.

I was told so, but the last article says Nov.
    www.decl.org

Are the stairs ready? If so, it would be nice if they could get those open. As a pedestrian coming from the SE getting up there sucks.

The lighting around the new stuff looks pretty good. You know where there is crap lighting? The staircase from the parking garage to the music hall. Where pedestrians have been diverted for some time now.

Looks great. Still a waste of money.

I believe its finished but they're waiting until after the election to open it.

The funicular is a great addition for those with mobility issues. Also, it will serve to connect downtown with the river valley much more prominently than before.
    Go down a few dark alleys.

Quote Originally Posted by mnugent View Post
    I believe its finished but they're waiting until after the election to open it.
    Makes sense, once they open it and see only a handful of people using it (mostly just IanO with his rat/dog, and Medwards stalking behind), it would be bad press for the mayor.
    Last edited by moahunter; 19-09-2017 at 04:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nobleea View Post
    Even if you think of it as a waste (which I certainly don't), remember the majority came from the feds; would you rather see construction crews employed here, or in Quebec or Ontario?

Even if you think of it as a waste (which I certainly don't), remember the majority came from the feds; would you rather see construction crews employed here, or in Quebec or Ontario? Even if the things breaks down constantly and they have to close it, we still got the staircase improvements from the project.

Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post
    Even if you think of it as a waste (which I certainly don't), remember the majority came from the feds; would you rather see construction crews employed here, or in Quebec or Ontario?
    The money didn't have to be used for a funicular (it could have been almost anything in the River Valley), as has been noted in the thread - do some learning on it.

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    The money didn't have to be used for a funicular (it could have been almost anything in the River Valley), as has been noted in the thread - do some learning on it.
    It's interesting that no one seems to complain about the addition of an elevator at the river's edge.

Also it seems that no one wanted a beach, because one would use it, then when we get one, loads of people use it.
    Last edited by KC; 19-09-2017 at 05:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    It's interesting that no one seems to complain about the addition of an elevator at the river's edge.

Also it seems that no one wanted a beach, because one would use it, then when we get one, loads of people use it.
    I would rather see construction crews employed in QC or ON, yes, if it was on something that will get more use. Just building something (as good as it might look) because money is available is not a good idea. If these kinds of things happen on a regular basis, the city should have a library full of vetted, valuable concepts and designs for things that will get lots of use and they can just pull one off the shelf. This just seemed like money was dangled in front of municipalities and the first to throw a design at them would get it. So the city dusted off a summer project from a co-op student.

75m would have gone a long way to making accidental beach permanent and sanitary, perhaps even some facilities like change rooms, and similar. That really is something of value to a lot of people in Edmonton and unlike the funicular, made the national news. Alternatively, the money could have paid for a jet boat summer water taxi for decades, linking Windermere / Hawerlak / Rosdale, or similar - instead of replicating a funicular that is already there (in the Shaw), there would be a new connection / access.
    Last edited by moahunter; 20-09-2017 at 09:13 AM.

75m would have gone a long way to making accidental beach permanent and sanitary, perhaps even some facilities like change rooms, and similar. That really is something of value to a lot of people in Edmonton and unlike the funicular, made the national news. Alternatively, the money could have paid for a jet boat summer water taxi for decades, linking Windermere / Hawerlak / Rosdale, or similar - instead of replicating a funicular that is already there (in the Shaw), there would be a new connection / access.
    Where did 75 million come from? The funicular was 24million if I recall.
    Accidental beach didn't exist when the funicular was funded, so I'm not sure how you allocate funds to something accidental that hadn't happened yet.
    As for making accidental beach "sanitary", 24 million or 75 million aren't nearly the amount required to address the storm water issues coming in or the combined sewer overflow that occurs. That is a billion dollar issue.

Quote Originally Posted by DanC View Post
    My bad.

The cost for the funicular is $24 million, which is part of a greater budget of $72.9 million for other projects in the river valley including boat launches and upgraded trails.

The city's contribution is $1.7 million, with the balance coming from the federal and provincial governments and the River Valley Alliance

As to the beach, I am no engineer (I don't know if it just needs a longer pipe into the river, or is a bigger issue, or should be located elsewhere on the river). But I do know that building a funicular a 5 minute walk from an already functioning funicular is not the smartest way to enhance access to a river valley.

Quote Originally Posted by DanC View Post
    My bad.

The cost for the funicular is $24 million, which is part of a greater budget of $72.9 million for other projects in the river valley including boat launches and upgraded trails.

The city's contribution is $1.7 million, with the balance coming from the federal and provincial governments and the River Valley Alliance

As to the beach, I am no engineer (I don't know if it just needs a longer pipe into the river, or is a bigger issue, or should be located elsewhere on the river). But I do know that building a funicular a 5 minute walk from an already functioning funicular is not the smartest way to enhance access to a river valley.
    Have you looked at where the Shaw lets you off?
    It's on the other side of an extremely busy road way and elevated from the park. There is no access from there to the actual lower level promenade area (the main trail system) without a large hill after crossing that busy roadway. You cannot get barrier free access from the upper elevated road crossing as it just has stairs going to the upper level of the park. There would have been a need for significant modifications to tie that system to reaching into Louise McKinney park in the same barrier free manner. You can make an argument that the funding should have been used to modify and extend that system to offer true barrier free access. There would have been a substantial investment required into that as well, likely less though, but equating the current Shaw system to what has been built is not apples to apples.

I'll judge the funicular once it's open. Not going to call it a boondoggle until we know traffic numbers. There was no traffic on the Henday before it was built either, so they had to hope that their reasons for spending billions to build it were accurate. Same with the funicular.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678