Thread: being proud Metro Edmontonians

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default being proud Metro Edmontonians

What I liked the most from Iveson's State of the City speech is his push to change "Alberta Capital Region" to "Edmonton Metro"

Simons article:
    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...791/story.html

“Our region is vying against hundreds of mid-sized cities around the world for investment and talent,” Iveson told a packed banquet room at the Shaw Conference Centre. “And we risk being outperformed by regions that present a clear, unified proposition to investors.”

“If you were an investor in Dubai or Shanghai, and you Googled ‘capital region,’ you’d find capital regions in the U.S., India, Denmark, and the list goes on,” he continued.

To get on investors’ radar, Iveson told his audience, the Capital Region Board is now working on a more focused approach.

“Because when we’re united, our voice is that much stronger and our story is that much more compelling,” he said. “At 1.3 million strong, Edmonton Metro will be a force to be reckoned with.”

Speaking to reporters after the speech, Iveson stressed that he sees this as a partnership with the communities around Edmonton. The tag capital region, he stressed, simply doesn’t resonate as a brand. He’s not talking about political annexation, but about creating a strong united voice.
    “The region is now starting to work and think as one,” he said.
    We need to see ourselves as one integrated metro economy, with fierce pride in who we are. The time for shyness, for deference, for insecurity is past. We are Metropolitan Edmonton. We contain multitudes. And we should be proud to say so — loudly, and together.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Hard Core Contributor

I agree with Don.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

While I've always agreed that the region should be marketed as one...and that Edmonton is the default name because it is the larger centre...do not underestimate the regional autonomy desires....

...for example, the airshow that I just launched...is called the Edmonton Airshow, and boy oh boy am I getting flack from the Villeneuve Owners and some leaders in Sturgeon/St Albert/Parkland that it isn't called the Villeneuve Airshow...
    President and CEO - Airshow.

Oh Lawd, not another one of these threads. Another round of 'look at us, were over here'. When's it going to end.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    While I've always agreed that the region should be marketed as one...and that Edmonton is the default name because it is the larger centre...do not underestimate the regional autonomy desires....

...for example, the airshow that I just launched...is called the Edmonton Airshow, and boy oh boy am I getting flack from the Villeneuve Owners and some leaders in Sturgeon/St Albert/Parkland that it isn't called the Villeneuve Airshow...
    And pandering to them is the wrong thing.

Flack or not it's time to move ahead with Edmonton as the brand.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

As much as one may think about marketing Edmonton...

St Albert has a brand too. Don't forget that. They are mighty possessive of that brand...even if many here want to scoff, guffaw, and accuse others of pandering...

The reality is...Edmonton also has a lot of work to do on its own brand...far above and beyond accusations of regional pandering. If anyone says Edmonton as a brand is stronger with or without the region...completely omits the reality of Edmonton as a brand. Just because we all hug and sing "we are the world/region/edmonchuckers"...doesn't change the meaning of EDMONTON when you mention the word outside the metro...

This regional thing is a bit of a red herring at times. Riddle me this...if Edmonton's brand was so darn amazing...wouldn't the region be clamouring to be Edmonchuckers (annexed or otherwise)?

...just a thought...

C2E Posting Power

^ I live in St. Albert, and am completely in support of the Metro Edmonton brand as a better way of marketing our city of 1.3 million to the rest of the world. I believe many St.Albert residents feel the same way. "Capital Region" means nothing outside of Alberta, and puts Edmonton in the back seat even compared to our sister city to the south, which excels at marketing its brand every chance it gets.

The St. Albert brand has more to do with promoting St. Albert to people that already live within the metro Edmonton region than promoting St. Albert to the world.

Metro City branding and political amalgamation are two completely separate issues. Vancouver is a prime example of how metro branding can be successful without amalgamation needing to occur.

St Albert has a brand too. Don't forget that. They are mighty possessive of that brand...even if many here want to scoff, guffaw, and accuse others of pandering...

The reality is...Edmonton also has a lot of work to do on its own brand...far above and beyond accusations of regional pandering. If anyone says Edmonton as a brand is stronger with or without the region...completely omits the reality of Edmonton as a brand. Just because we all hug and sing "we are the world/region/edmonchuckers"...doesn't change the meaning of EDMONTON when you mention the word outside the metro...

This regional thing is a bit of a red herring at times. Riddle me this...if Edmonton's brand was so darn amazing...wouldn't the region be clamouring to be Edmonchuckers (annexed or otherwise)?

...just a thought...
    The catch is that Edmonton's brand is weak because it's diluted and not unified. The argument is that it will be easier to build the Edmonton Metro brand than it has been to build the Capital Region brand. The simple fact is that for anybody not from here Edmonton is the entire metro area.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

I like the idea of Metro Edmonton better because it is much easier for other countries to identify that area rather than Capital Region.
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post

...just a thought...
    The catch is that Edmonton's brand is weak because it's diluted and not unified. The argument is that it will be easier to build the Edmonton Metro brand than it has been to build the Capital Region brand. The simple fact is that for anybody not from here Edmonton is the entire metro area.
    This.
    The reason the brand is weak is because of the undermining by the very people you say don't want to be associated with it because it's weak.
    Those people, groups, towns, whatever are creating their own problem to blame. It's time to cut it off.

Geez people pay money for branding. Oh why not go with "Official host city of the turn of the century". Maybe we can pay yet more consultants to come up with The Metro-Awesome-plex or something similar.

Metro Edmonton or the Alberata Capital Region work fine for me, it tells it like it is, no fluff, to the point.

C2E Posting Power

^Sorry, Alberta Capital Region doesn't work for me at all. Someone from outside Canada may have heard of West Edmonton Mall, the Edmonton Oilers or Edmonton International Airport, but Alberta Capital Region will mean nothing to them. Wouldn't we want to capitalize on and expand existing name recognition as much as we can?

Quote Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
    Someone from outside Canada may have heard of West Edmonton Mall, the Edmonton Oilers or Edmonton International Airport, but Alberta Capital Region will mean nothing to them.
    You did a good job summing it up here.

...just a thought...
    Ok I'll bite. St Albert's brand is "Cherry Pickers".
    The isolationism of the past has to stop. I still see St. Albert as sitting on the periphery and contributing very little to the regions interest.
    Edmonton's image is not amazing and as a result the whole region suffers as a consequence. The day all of the outlying municipalities realize their image to the rest of the world will not improve until Edmonton's does we will all be better off.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DanC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post

...just a thought...
    This.
    The reason the brand is weak is because of the undermining by the very people you say don't want to be associated with it because it's weak.
    Those people, groups, towns, whatever are creating their own problem to blame. It's time to cut it off.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

Edmonton's "weak" brand has 0, less than 0, and even less than that to do with regionalism. Edmonton is the largest city in the metro, and it has inherited the reputation it has 100% completely, totally, unequivocally, and irreversibly deserved. Make no bones about it.

Edmonton - Dirt City moniker...did that come from Leduc...or from our lack of picking up the winter gravel?

Redmonton - yup, I am certain PC voting St Albert and Spruce Grove did that.

City of Champions - of course the St Albert Saints, or Leduc Bobcats, or Ft Sask Barons, or Throsby Whatevers were all included....right?

The comments about a dead downtown...yeah...that was Sherwood Park's fault.

You are entitled to the reputation you deserve.

Metro Seattle has a lot of cities that profess a strong identity (Bellevue being one), but they associate with Seattle as a metro because Seattle is known for a cool vibe. They still profess a regional conversation (especially when it comes to transit - but that is another conversation)...

Metro LA is made up of how many? San Diego? Vancouver? The cities around there grab the cool vibe from the main city...

What about here...why didn't these locales wanting to be Edmonton branded in the past? The simple difference in size would make you assume that these bedroom communities wanted to be a part of the bigger whole...

...or is it how Edmonton has (and in many areas continues to) act, to ignore some of the glaring concerns, and how it administers things that makes the region less likely to want to join...and brings out some of the potshots of yore?

...before you start telling everyone to jump on your brand...make sure it is a brand worth jumping on...a key reason why Capital Region died..

Metropolitan Toronto went on for years from 1954 till 1998 , Metro Toronto was amalgamated into City of Toronto
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES.
    Despite your at length diatribe, here is mine; those monikers are a result of weak marketing, failure to focus and apply the effort of an entire region to highlight the PART that actually causes the region to exist.
    Instead we get a Mish mash of pseudo marketing and watered down applications for what amounts to tiny special interest groups for their own town, hamlet, suburb whatever. Combined by an outright disdain or dislike or whatever you want to call it by key members of those places trying to make and protect their little empires.
    It's time to treasure the resources and apply them under the moniker of Edmonton and realize why the region is... It because Edmonton is, it is whatever Edmonton is. Talk about the reputation it earns, time to stop letting groups undercut it and then complain about how crappy it is and how they will not be associated with it only to continue this cycle.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

LRT into the satellites will help to unite. Sounds crazy but another thing is Edmontons pot hole filled rutted patched up streets, probably the worst of any world city, can isolate neighbors. I know I often think WTF is with that. Calgarys streets in comparison are wondrous and smoothe as glass. I love my satellite community because we have smooth streets, instant snow removal, no homeless and drunk problems, etc etc. and glad to be seperate from that. Just some examples, food for thought. If we became one, would we have those same problems? (Continuing cycle as discussion requires)
    Last edited by Drumbones; 29-04-2015 at 12:40 AM.

...before you start telling everyone to jump on your brand...make sure it is a brand worth jumping on...a key reason why Capital Region died..
    The Capital Region is not a brand. How many Provinces / States around the world have Capital Regions? ummm... all of them?

If you have a name, use it. Simple as that. Metro Edmonton is just that. Metro Edmonton.
    People from communities in Metro Edmonton understand that they are inextricably part of Metro Edmonton. A few of them may wish that the region was called Metro Sturgeon, or whatever... but the fact is, it isn't. Ultimately, they know this. It would be like Alberta complaining about being part of Western Canada. There was a separatist faction in Alberta that wanted to go it alone. The vast majority of Albertans understand that we are far better off being part of a greater whole. The vast majority of the 1.3 million residents in Metro Edmonton understand that they are far better off being part of this region.

The trick is to get all the oars pulling in the same direction at the same time ... Now, we just need a better coxswain...
    Last edited by lat; 29-04-2015 at 01:10 AM.

The only 'capital region' recognized internationally would be one at the national level which means Ottawa might have been getting a free ride from Edmonton's 'capital region' brand. That was probably one of the small reasons why Ottawa did well in the '90s.

It's time to undo the damage.
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

C2E Super Addict
    "The only really positive thing one could say about Vancouver is, it’s not the rest of Canada." Oink (britishexpats.com)

I've met people here who thought Alberta Capital Region meant Calgary, despite Gary Mar's best efforts (guess where I am). That in itself is enough reason for me to support this change of name.

C2E Posting Power

^This.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

x3

Quote Originally Posted by Foolworm View Post
    I've met people here who thought Alberta Capital Region meant Calgary, despite Gary Mar's best efforts (guess where I am). That in itself is enough reason for me to support this change of name.
    I don't understand. Was Gary Mar trying to market Calgary as Albertas capital region?

Ho-ly !

Top_Dawg's been through Villeneuve.

A hundred times.

It's a desert.

Closest oasis is 50 km north in Westlock - Hooliganz Pub.

Poke back four beer and onwards to Slave.

I liked Dons Speech... 10X better neighbor to other municipalities then Edmonton under Mandel. Most Places (Yes even RURAL ones) agree with Edmonton as the region's brand, personally i'm not 100% convinced that Metro is the right word. (Metro means City, or City and Suburbs, meaning it ignores 5-10% of the Edmonton Region's Population) but i could possibly get over that if the Brand Edmonton helped itself. the Brand Edmonton (and all the deadbeat variations) are deserved and we need to change that.

To me that means one thing many Urbanites don't like.. accepting that the City is NOT the end all and be all of the Region. it is the most important piece.. and SHOULD be the Brand of the Region. but it cannot survive on its own. and it must actually deal with its neighbors in a respectful manner and not as a bully. We must work together with everyone, recognizing that other municipalities ideas and values have merit and that they have concerns and issues that the Big city does not. The Edmonton Region can grow and must grow together.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Metro makes more sense then Region as it better defines us as a City. Region sounds to rural.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Capit...641/story.html

Edmonton Metropolitan Regional Economic Development Strategy... quite a mouthful to gargle. Glad to see Iveson getting others to use the term though, it's a long overdue acknowledgement.

C2E SME

I think Edmonton area residents can call the area Edmonton or Metro Edmonton after the provincial government shamed Edmonton for many years.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.