Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,400 of 1403

Thread: A Downtown for Everyone

I'd rather C2E than work!

Yes.

Nothing like having the little ones mingling among the down and outers working off community service hours by cleaning up other people's garbage while their parents get half cut.

So bourgeois.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Friends/expats in from Calgary last night who were very impressed with how many people were downtown, new places, patios, new condos, the look and feel.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E Continued Contributor

I was shocked when I walked by the capital Blvd while passing through town the other night. It used to be a ghost town but it's become a natural gathering area for families. And it wasn't just one or two families, there were probably fifty or sixty people there.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post
    Yes.

Nothing like having the little ones mingling among the down and outers working off community service hours by cleaning up other people's garbage while their parents get half cut.

So bourgeois.

I'm sure the little ones hardly even noticed you.

Sweet Sunday. Noonish at Credo and realized, no taste of Edmonton, nothing (yet) at Rogers - only the folks who live DT were around - felt like a real neighbourhood.

Almost magical I tell ya!
    ... gobsmacked

Planning a vibrant Downtown for all
    February 15, 2018

Join in a Downtown Public Places drop-in engagement session and help build a vibrant, safe and welcoming downtown for everyone. Learn why this project is important and share your ideas on the kind of public places we need Downtown. Input will be used to inform the vision of the Plan and areas of improvement the Plan needs to address.

Date: Wednesday, February 28
    Time: 11 a.m. - 2 p.m.

Date: Thursday, March 1
    Time: 4 - 8 p.m.

Date: Saturday, March 3
    Time: 9 a.m. - 3 p.m.
    Location: City Market, City Hall, 1 Sir Winston Churchill Square

Date: Thursday, March 8
    Time: 11 a.m. - 2 p.m. and 4 - 7 p.m.

Downtown public places provide space for Edmontonians to socialize, celebrate, recharge and live life. These places need to act as the playgrounds, resting spots and social spaces for residents, workers and visitors, while also providing great locations to host international and local festivals, events, commerce, arts and culture. The Downtown Public Places Plan will help guide direction for open space development, design and programming in Downtown Edmonton and the Quarters Downtown.

For more information:
    http://www.edmonton.ca/downtownpublicplaces
    [email protected]

Media contact:
    Denise Gee
    Senior Communications Advisor
    Urban Form and Corporate Strategic Development
    780-496-5633
    www.decl.org

www.decl.org

Downtown population is almost or is around 6 times higher than the City overall?
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

Come again?
    www.decl.org

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
    Downtown population is almost or is around 6 times higher than the City overall?
    Nope

Population density, I meant.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

What's the timescale for that projected population & where's the underlying data from? Other CoE projections put the population of central Edmonton (not just Downtown) at ~110K by 2044, that'd put half of all central Edmontonians Downtown, a far larger proportion than we currently see.

Given that the 2014 projections show an increase of ~30K people in central Edmonton over the next 30 years I find the addition of 35K into Downtown alone to be a little suspicious, but perhaps there's some new projections out there beyond the ones I've been able to find in CoE documents/plans.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

I would also like to know where the numbers/predictions were from and am meeting with them soon to chat about that.
    www.decl.org

Awesome. I know the 2014 projections (from the mode-shift report) are 4 years old now & likely outta date but I can't think of any factors introduced in the intervening years to warrant such a dramatic upswing in the projections, so I'm guessing it might be a combination of revised projections and a time scale that's greater than 30 years.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Downtown must be planning to annex more of downtown. Include Boyle Street/quarters and a bit of the north edge and at least you could fit that many people.
    There can only be one.

I'd also love to see a breakdown of where the 70,000 people who commute Downtown live, if available.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander II View Post
    Downtown must be planning to annex more of downtown. Include Boyle Street/quarters and a bit of the north edge and at least you could fit that many people.
    Don't need to. Quarters are included in 'Downtown' for these purposes, but given the amount of vacant or underused land, you could easily put those kinds of numbers into the core.
    www.decl.org

C2E Hard Core Contributor

^^x2! Would love to know the broader stat for that beyond my anecdotal observations.
    “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

C2E Continued Contributor

I have no idea where to put this.

In a meeting right now about furthering a more Child Friendly Edmonton and in particular for me, a Child Friendly Downtown.
    www.decl.org

Join @IPAC_yeg and the Oxygen Network for Chat at The Hat 2018! Each month a guest talks about his/her own public service journey before the floor is opened to questions. It's a great opportunity to network with other employees across the public service...and it's FREE!

@IPAC_yeg
    www.decl.org

www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Planning a vibrant Downtown for all
    February 15, 2018

Join in a Downtown Public Places drop-in engagement session and help build a vibrant, safe and welcoming downtown for everyone. Learn why this project is important and share your ideas on the kind of public places we need Downtown. Input will be used to inform the vision of the Plan and areas of improvement the Plan needs to address.

Date: Wednesday, February 28
    Time: 11 a.m. - 2 p.m.

Date: Thursday, March 1
    Time: 4 - 8 p.m.

Date: Saturday, March 3
    Time: 9 a.m. - 3 p.m.
    Location: City Market, City Hall, 1 Sir Winston Churchill Square

Date: Thursday, March 8
    Time: 11 a.m. - 2 p.m. and 4 - 7 p.m.

Downtown public places provide space for Edmontonians to socialize, celebrate, recharge and live life. These places need to act as the playgrounds, resting spots and social spaces for residents, workers and visitors, while also providing great locations to host international and local festivals, events, commerce, arts and culture. The Downtown Public Places Plan will help guide direction for open space development, design and programming in Downtown Edmonton and the Quarters Downtown.

For more information:
    http://www.edmonton.ca/downtownpublicplaces
    [email protected]

Media contact:
    Denise Gee
    Senior Communications Advisor
    Urban Form and Corporate Strategic Development
    780-496-5633

http://www.theyardsyeg.ca/words-on-the-street

The hostility extended into their home. Davey says she was catcalled while on her balcony overlooking 104 Avenue. “I was definitely yelled at a few times,” she says. “Something like ‘Show me your tits,’ which is really nice when you’re trying to enjoy your home.

”Whether it was due to the type of crowds heading to events at the arena, or just that more people were coming to the neighbourhood, the women can’t say, but their response was to retreat. They started staying home on game nights, keeping off the balcony and altering the routes they took through the neighbourhood. Natalie even changed how she dressed. “I would put on what I wanted to wear and look in the mirror and be like, ‘Is this going to encourage someone to approach me?’ If the answer was ‘Yes’ I’d change,” she says. “I hated that. I hated that so much.

”When Davey moved to Ontario this past fall to go to school, Natalie chose to move out of the area, too. “I haven’t been back since.”

Sounds to Top_Dawg like there might be a little too much vibrancy going on.

Sadly this persists in each and every city. Why people think that is acceptable is beyond me.
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

This is definitely unfortunate but as just mentioned this is a thing that happens everywhere. As long as there are individuals who have their heads firmly stuck up their own asses things like this will happen.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

How do you and your children/family experience Downtown?

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/Z2SW5FD
    Last edited by IanO; 03-04-2018 at 01:23 PM.
    www.decl.org

Go for a walk with Mark Connolly around our Downtown.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/cbc-yeg-...m-term=listing
    Last edited by IanO; 03-04-2018 at 02:55 PM.
    www.decl.org

EDMONTON'S DOWNTOWN IS RIPE FOR DEVELOPMENT

https://www.edmonton.com/home-2/2018...or-development
    www.decl.org

I know a certain underused site right in the core that will be ripe for development in a few years...

It was a joke! kinda. No actually. It's not funny?

...I'll see myself out...

@ianoyeg
    www.decl.org

I really wish the fountain sprays were colored again.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    I really wish the fountain sprays were colored again.
    Same. Does anyone know why the colours were removed?

Child Friendly Edmonton launches recognition program for businesses

June 13, 2018

Edmonton businesses can now sign up through Child Friendly Edmonton to be recognized as a welcoming space for children and their families.

The Child Friendly Business Recognition Program encourages businesses to be intentionally welcoming to children, families and caregivers through the program’s “Triple A” categories: attitude, amenities and activities.

“We want to share this new program with the city and highlight the current successes of local businesses who have become more child-friendly,” said Councillor Bev Esslinger. “With more than 20 per cent of the population being under 18, it’s very important that kids feel welcomed and included in their city.”

There are a number of simple improvements businesses can make to become more child-friendly, including providing appropriate seating for children, activity/colouring sheets and washrooms that can be used by all genders.

Councillors Bev Esslinger and Aaron Paquette were on hand to help launch the program, which is now accepting applications for the growing list of over 30 child-friendly businesses in Edmonton.

“Our vision is to create a vibrant, safe and welcoming city for all children and families,” said Councillor Aaron Paquette. “When more spaces become available for them to be included and contribute, their sense of ownership, pride and voice in their community grows.”

The Downtown Business Association shared its support of the program, encouraging members to explore ways to be more welcoming to families, such as posting hours where children are welcome.

“The Downtown Business Association has been working hard to ensure that we continue to make downtown more inclusive, eclectic and inviting,” said Ian O’Donnell, Executive Director of the Downtown Business Association. “We want to improve the family-friendly nature of downtown and continue to work with our member businesses towards a downtown for everyone.”

Parents can also nominate and share feedback on businesses through social media using the hashtag #ChildFriendlyYEG.

For more information:
    edmonton.ca/childfriendlybusiness

Media contact:
    Francis Asuncion
    Communications Advisor
    Citizen Services
    780-423-4890
    www.decl.org

What would the gender of the washroom have to do with making a "child friendly" business? Are you asking for change tables in both washrooms? Is this all because your friends' kids aren't allowed in The Red Star?

The key amenity to "welcome" families is more free parking, not less of it and less times where the parking is free. At least that is if they want to attract families to the DT that do not reside there.

"Posting hours where children are welcome" lmao. So any hours outside of this they are unwelcome?

Heres an idea. Don't lock several washrooms all day unannounced and without notifying signage or indication of alternative washrooms if there has been some incident in the largely non monitored washrooms that perpetuate in the DT. Another would be don't allow loitering in the washrooms by individuals and who wash up in there as if its their personal bathroom and that have all their worldly belongings with them in the washroom. or drug users, vagrants etc.

Even as an adult male I've had countless experiences in DT washrooms that felt uncomfortable and as if somebody should be more carefully monitoring who goes in there for extended periods.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Quote Originally Posted by ajs View Post
    What would the gender of the washroom have to do with making a "child friendly" business? Are you asking for change tables in both washrooms? Is this all because your friends' kids aren't allowed in The Red Star?
    We want fathers to be able to change their child too, either in a gender neutral washroom or a mens washroom with a change table.
    www.decl.org

Change tables in both washrooms is a good idea. But it has nothing to do with gender neutral toilet facilities.

Quote Originally Posted by ajs View Post
    Change tables in both washrooms is a good idea. But it has nothing to do with gender neutral toilet facilities.
    Then you should contact the author of the release, posted at the bottom of the release instead of some thinly veiled attempt to attribute the statement to someone else.

No attributing, simply inquiring. Francis Asuncion didn't post the release in this thread and IanO responded to my initial inquiry so... in for a penny in for a pound as they say.

I am just about fed up with this concrete jungle of Downtown.

https://twitter.com/IanOyeg/status/1039348977257213952
    @ianoyeg
    www.decl.org

A lil piece of the suburbs, downtown. How quaint.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    give it a rest Medwards...

yes, downtown has some some tree lined pastoral streets. just as our some of our suburbs have their share of streets one hates to tread even if one dares. neither urban nor suburban has - or should have - a monopoly on good and various design and amenities and options for those choosing to live there.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post

yes, downtown has some some tree lined pastoral streets. just as our some of our suburbs have their share of streets one hates to tread even if one dares. neither urban nor suburban has - or should have - a monopoly on good and various design and amenities and options for those choosing to live there.
    give it a rest kcantor

A downtown for everyone on this most recent Sunday;

Few people around. Even on an event night at Rogers Place DT was not at all busy. Went by the Funicular, didn't see a soul there. (I think it may still have been closed due to vandalism)

Jasper Avenue corner with maybe 4 people waiting at one of the main intersection DT.

Go to Churchill Square, virtually nobody around. Constuction all over the place in literally every direction. Library, LRT, City Hall pools, 3 sides of our main square under construction. 3 bananas closed.

Went to AGA. There were more staff visible in main lobby and ground floor than there were visitors on that level. How sad is that?

Did the Happy Wall. The whole time we were around we saw one other couple even trying it out. A person could monopolize it for hours and nobody would care. The whole square was a ghost town.

City Center Mall of course not busy. You would find more people, basically any time, at say MWTC. With roughly identical numbers in the foodcourt area.

More construction everywhere as we head to the concert. Fortunately a little less impeded these days but it seems that Ford Hall Pedway access is never open. I don't know the currents on this but we're 2yrs into Rogers Place lifespan and Ford Hall through that time has rarely been open as a pedway. Not sure I could even find a path to it through the morass of construction in anycase.

But no worry, we arrive at the Concert at Rogers Place with ZERO lineups (excuse pun) and efficiently get in because the crowd that night would be under 5K for an arena concert.

Many of the food Kiosks are closed due to the sparse crowd. The specialty kind, the ones that offer Asian food or East Indian or other ethnic foods are closed. Just the normal swill concessions are open. So only normal arena fare. Fries. burgers, pizza, yawn. Is this 2018 and a new arena?

Prices for food and alcohol continue to be obscene at Rogers. Basically 4 drinks of any kind will cost you over 50bucks. A pop is 5.50. Bottled water is 5.50. If there is alcohol of ANY kind available for less than 10.50 we missed it.

We get DRL seats which are great, But we use the table minimally due to just not wanting to spend an extra 100bucks to eat and drink. Which would be more than the two tickets that were all in at 90 bucks.

Oddly enough some families with kids at the concert. Quite a few small pumpkins in sight. Unfortunately with such families having literally no recourse of buying their young ones anything affordable there. Of course once you are in you can't leave and come back. So some peoples kids being hungry and whiny for hours.

Also of note there are no establishments anywhere near the Arena that could be describes as family type establishments. I guess families don't exist. Nearly every restaurant in the area caters to some other kind of crowd. With pretense oozing from almost every establishment so that its not just in the arena that you'll be paying through the nose. The whole area is a concentric ripoff. Probably the best deals had at Lingnans but on the wrongside of the DT that most people would not know about. Should mention as well that just out of interest we popped into around 10 establishments just to take a look. Seating would be immediate at dinner time on a Sunday at ANY of them. Lineups? what are those.

In comparison go to any restaurant in the burbs on a Sunday at Dinner time and guess what? You won't get into a Keg in 2hrs on the southside.. This is how dead DT is relatively speaking.

Yet again another DT experience confirming why we now rarely visit the DT. But which seems quite representative given the scarcity of people found there.
    Last edited by Replacement; 11-09-2018 at 10:02 AM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    give it a rest Medwards...

In my area of the suburbs vast expanses of baren asphalt exist in the older strip malls, shopping malls, etc where long ago any token trees planted in tiny little squares of dirt very predictably died. So of course they were cut down and never replaced. (Bean counters rule!)

In the residential areas we have some trees but lots of green in the form of useless lawns. Then as is typical in aging relative devaluing and degrading neighbourhoods, older poorly maintained homes get even more exposed as owners remove larger trees and just grass over the vacant areas (a double whammy to property values).

As an aside: Just booked $2k+ of tree removal in our yard including the large elm out front which we planted to improve ours and our neighbouring properties attractiveness (to complete an arc of elms in the crescent). However last fall the neighbour rather aggressively complained about all the leaves she was having to rake up, plus told me she had taken a picture of a large root her contractors inexplicably left to grow under her brand new driveway. Maybe it’s time to paint the house lime green, rent it out and move to an acreage.
    Last edited by KC; 11-09-2018 at 10:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    A downtown for everyone on this most recent Sunday
    A rainy/cold SUNDAY in a CBD is generally not the place to find a ton of activity, Edmonton or otherwise. Many stores/establishments are closed that day of the week because they serve the M-Sat crowd. Not to say we want to improve the activation on Sundays and draw more people, *cough* RAM *cough*, but timing is important. The Citadel/Wins seasons are not on yet, the Milner U/C and so there you have it.

We had a bite out on Jasper/105st, went for a pre-concert drink on 104st and then hit the concert. While not overly busy, both areas had folks doing much of the same.

With regards to Rogers Place, again, go to any major venue and you would have a very similar experience good sir.
    www.decl.org

A downtown for everyone on this most recent Sunday
    A rainy/cold SUNDAY in a CBD is generally not the place to find a ton of activity, Edmonton or otherwise. Many stores/establishments are closed that day of the week because they serve the M-Sat crowd. Not to say we want to improve the activation on Sundays and draw more people, *cough* RAM *cough*, but timing is important. The Citadel/Wins seasons are not on yet, the Milner U/C and so there you have it.

We had a bite out on Jasper/105st, went for a pre-concert drink on 104st and then hit the concert. While not overly busy, both areas had folks doing much of the same.

With regards to Rogers Place, again, go to any major venue and you would have a very similar experience good sir.
    We were outside mostly from 3-7 and not one drop of rain. Wasn't too cold either, around 12-13C.

We looked through 104st specifically as this is basically a signpost of how the area is doing. So that even on an event night at Rogers none of the establishments were busy. Not one lineup found anywhere. Instead empty seats and hostesses at the ready to seat us in an instant.

It may be the case that most Stadia/Arena venues are similar but Commonwealth for instance is much more affordable.

But regardless of whether such major venues feel they can charge these prices lets consider that most of these were built, and doing most of their business in boom times in the Western World. Look around now and the concert industry is having more problems, ticket sales are down almost everywhere, pollstar ticket sales numbers are down globally.

I guess the main point in my latest post on the theme is that the appeal of the arena and area continues to be limited, as such no major draw in, and not the kind of vitality one would expect in the DT or area. I think its fair to say that 104st establishments would not even have noticed any influx on this event night.

lets be clear too. Rogers Place see's about 52 strong crowds in a year. Equates to once per week on average. Not spread out very well either. Basically next to nothing takes place at Rogers in Summer months.

One last comment that the Community arena was locked and unused on a Sunday. Why?

Perhaps the biggest question is why any family would even want to go DT on a Sunday, or pretty much anyday at present.
    Last edited by Replacement; 11-09-2018 at 11:29 AM.

52? You mean 152.

'One last comment that the Community arena was locked and unused on a Sunday. Why?'

Most arenas are when not in use.
    www.decl.org

52? You mean 152.

'One last comment that the Community arena was locked and unused on a Sunday. Why?'

Most arenas are when not in use.

41 good oilers crowds. Maybe a dozen more over the year that topped out over 10K. Actually not even. I've been following the numbers. So have you.

I'm not talking about event nights I'm talking about the event nights that would have seen healthy ticket sales. 5k isn't that for a major arena. Nobody is making money on that kind of volume. the vast majority of events at Rogers in the past calendar year have been poorly attended outside of Oilers games.

To see any considerable influx impact in the Area you need to be doing volumes of say 12K to sellout at a new arena. If you're talking crowds around 5K that isn't significantly different from a huge show at say SCC.

As per Community arena its a community arena at least in name. Would be about the only one in the City not used on a Sunday.

All that said Rogers is hosting several better events over the next few mths which should improve volumes.

Replacement. You have no idea what you’re talking about. I worked at Craft Beer Market for like a year. The Arena, before and after events, would get that placed so slammed that it was terrifying.

Replacement's observations are but one data point. It's useful only if it's comparable to something else.

Ice District isn't finished, so ya, there's not a lot of options for families or otherwise. Some do exist but you have to walk a few blocks. It won't be right out the arena doors.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by Seandroid View Post
    Replacement. You have no idea what you’re talking about. I worked at Craft Beer Market for like a year. The Arena, before and after events, would get that placed so slammed that it was terrifying.
    Craft is one place that does well typically, but wasn't busy on Sunday either.

Did you work there the first year the Arena was in operation? That was the highest numbers for the arena. Ticket sales since then have not gone as well. Like I say I could see any events of say over 1oK adding some crowds but those are few and far between.

Again the last year the Rogers place numbers are poor. I've followed the ACTUAL ticket sales. Out of interest I look at ticket sales through ticketmaster for most events, I cite polstar numbers, I'm using actual data, not just anecdote.

Did you work there the first year the Arena was in operation? That was the highest numbers for the arena. Ticket sales since then have not gone as well. Like I say I could see any events of say over 1oK adding some crowds but those are few and far between.

Again the last year the Rogers place numbers are poor. I've followed the ACTUAL ticket sales. Out of interest I look at ticket sales through ticketmaster for most events, I cite polstar numbers, I'm using actual data, not just anecdote.
    If you are using actual data, can you supply it for everyone else?

Most of what you said is completely anecdotal.

Quote Originally Posted by DanC View Post

If you are using actual data, can you supply it for everyone else?

Most of what you said is completely anecdotal.
    I've listed 2018 polstar numbers on the board, they are very low, nobody commented. I've often mentioned estimated attendance and cited attendance figures at events. Want me to combine some of it, fine;

By month, 2018

January- zero concerts

Feb Avenged sevenfold. Lower attendance because they had already played at Commonwealth in August.

March- Brantley, Gilbert, Santana, Hedley. The latter two were lower bowl performances, both in range of 5k Not sure about the other show.

April- Rod Stewart. Cited attendance ranges from 9k-12K Steve Miller- very poorly attended. Basically an empty lower bowl.

May ShaniaX2, Eagles, QOTSA A hot month by Rogers standards, we'll say 4 good attendance concerts.

June Bryan Adams. around 7K Two country shows I can't find numbers for, Kevin Hart, Vance Joy. I'll give 2 good attendances for concerts that month anyway.

july Zero concerts

August Zero concerts, only the poorly attended hlinka cup with a top attendance around 8K. Went as low as 1-2K for some matches.

Sept- Smashing Pumpkins (very poor attendance, not even 5K) Sam Smith, Keith Urban. So we'll say two sell out shows this month.

So even being charitable that's around 10 concerts all year that had good attendance at Rogers Place. Absolutely no more than 12. If anybody wants to dispute they can try, I actually check ticket sales for concerts and know how many of these shows were even limited to lower bowl sales. Most of them.

So as per my previous convo with Ian I had stated around 52 events in the Calendar year thus far with over 10K attendance. So with 41 Oilers dates, 10-12 concerts with decent numbers I wasn't wrong. Not at all.

All these listings by the way taken right off the Rogers Place Event listings. I did omit a few events. Things like Michelle Obama although in fairness cited attendance was around 6K

But that's the brunt of it. Anybody can correct if they want. This was a very poor year for Rogers Place to this point.
    Last edited by Replacement; 11-09-2018 at 01:59 PM.

^you are missing all the oil kings home games

Quote Originally Posted by barhonda View Post
    ^you are missing all the oil kings home games
    Very few of these in 2018 would be over 10K attendance.

if you follow the discussion and questioning so far it was around events with major attendance.

Oil Kings attendance for the last season dropped and was around 6-8K/game depending on source. Reasonable, and good, just not great use of a top rank facility. Most US arenas have 2 pro team tenants just for comparison.

Oil Kings had better attendance the first season of operation of Rogers. With a fair amount of that traffic just being people that want to check out the arena for maybe the first time. Oil Kings are the most affordable option to do that.

Pollstar has Rogers Place ticket sales listed at #77 in the world for 2017, ahead of Calgary at #161.

https://www.pollstar.com/article/201...grosses-134154

#11 Toronto
    #27 Montreal
    #31 Vancouver
    #79 Quebec City
    #101 Ottawa
    #110 Winnipeg
    #122 London
    #140 Saskatoon
    #156 Niagara
    #161 Calgary

Seems about right, only outlier is Calgary due to older venue and roof issues.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
    Pollstar has Rogers Place ticket sales listed at #77 in the world for 2017, ahead of Calgary at #161.

#11 Toronto
    #27 Montreal
    #31 Vancouver
    #79 Quebec City
    #101 Ottawa
    #110 Winnipeg
    #122 London
    #140 Saskatoon
    #156 Niagara
    #161 Calgary

I already cited the 2018 numbers just so you know.

Rogers ranked around 156

2018 isn't over.
    www.decl.org

A downtown for everyone on this most recent Sunday;

Few people around. Even on an event night at Rogers Place DT was not at all busy. Went by the Funicular, didn't see a soul there. (I think it may still have been closed due to vandalism)

Jasper Avenue corner with maybe 4 people waiting at one of the main intersection DT.

Go to Churchill Square, virtually nobody around. Constuction all over the place in literally every direction. Library, LRT, City Hall pools, 3 sides of our main square under construction. 3 bananas closed.

Went to AGA. There were more staff visible in main lobby and ground floor than there were visitors on that level. How sad is that?

Did the Happy Wall. The whole time we were around we saw one other couple even trying it out. A person could monopolize it for hours and nobody would care. The whole square was a ghost town...
    I love the buzz DT six days a week, but have to selfishly admit - enjoy quiet Sundays when residents get to have it all to ourselves.

Seriously, I admit, it's selfish, but I can't help it.
    ... gobsmacked

2018 isn't over.
    These are the mid 2018 numbers though anyway

https://www.pollstar.com/article/201...nalysis-135890

just click on top 200 arenas.

Not that I'm standing by those numbers as completely accurate but in reply to your citation..

The remainder of the year there are 5 big draw concerts in November, one in October, and that's all she wrote. So aside from hockey 6 more big event nights. That would make around 16 well attended concerts the whole year.
    Last edited by Replacement; 11-09-2018 at 02:45 PM.

Well, counting pre-season, normally around 45 Oiler games.

Don't forget Oil Kings (junior). They rarely draw over 10k, if that's the threshold for you - but around 9k lots of nights.

Yes, not as many concerts as Coliseum days, but that's probably a function of the promoter versus the facility.
    ... gobsmacked

Oil Kings draw 9k lots of nights? Really?

2018 isn't over.

Not that I'm standing by those numbers as completely accurate but in reply to your citation..

The remainder of the year there are 5 big draw concerts in November, one in October, and that's all she wrote. So aside from hockey 6 more big event nights. That would make around 16 well attended concerts the whole year.
    42,866 Rogers Place Edmonton, CANADA

Is the 42k total ticket sales...just for concerts?

I think so.

On the bright side Katz Place is only 2790 tickets less than Spokane Washington for sales.

2018 isn't over.

Correct, pollstar would be tracking just concert numbers. I believe these numbers are off, but even if it 150K at mid it would be poor for a new world class facility. Regardless the dearth of concerts taking place at Rogers Place should be a concern. These are not the type of significant event numbers that were expected. When the arena opened I remember some forecasts saying that there could be 200 event nights. (right now closer to a 110) and they thought there could be in the range of 100-150 significant draw nights.

Missing the playoffs and around 3 or more home dates hurt but it is what it is. Somebody mentioned preseason games. Although that ticket money helps the Oilers out it doesn't help in much else. Not atypical to see 10K actually in attendance at these nights.

2018 isn't over.

Correct, pollstar would be tracking just concert numbers. I believe these numbers are off, but even if it 150K at mid it would be poor for a new world class facility. Regardless the dearth of concerts taking place at Rogers Place should be a concern. These are not the type of significant event numbers that were expected. When the arena opened I remember some forecasts saying that there could be 200 event nights. (right now closer to a 110) and they thought there could be in the range of 100-150 significant draw nights.

Missing the playoffs and around 3 or more home dates hurt but it is what it is. Somebody mentioned preseason games. Although that ticket money helps the Oilers out it doesn't help in much else. Not atypical to see 10K actually in attendance at these nights.
    It seems like every major concert stops here. Some for multiple dates. Is there some glut of large draw concerts that Rogers is supposedly missing out on?

Quote Originally Posted by jason403 View Post
    Oil Kings draw 9k lots of nights? Really?
    no, not in 2018. Again the highest average estimates I'm seeing is 8K, the lowest is around 6K.

Keeping in mind some of those tickets are pac inclusions where an Oil Kings game is thrown into an Oilers pac (they did that afairc last season still, but not doing it anymore) So that while tickets sold may be a certain number seats in the stands moving purchases could be significantly less.

In anycase Oil Kings games were really tailing off in attendance to the 6K range. Would be surprised if they averaged more like 7K this season, if that. The arena buzz factor has worn out.

2018 isn't over.

It seems like every major concert stops here. Some for multiple dates. Is there some glut of large draw concerts that Rogers is supposedly missing out on?
    That's certainly an interesting question Dan. Can't help you with that one as much. Haven't tracked that lately. More the case is an implosion in the Concert ticket sales industry which was expected. Promoters are compensating by trying to increase ticket prices knowing that there are diehards that will buy.

That said the Edmonton Concert market is less fail safe then it used to be. The Pumpkins for instance drew an average somewhere around 10K on their whole tour. They got not even 5k in Edmonton. Which is weird because traditionally Edmonton is a solid alternative music market.

Edmonton is a very select market right now and selling for current pop, country, as well as the automatics Like Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, McCartney.

But the bigger point is almost every Arena built at this pricetag has two Professional team tenants. This works in the US because you have NBA/NHL. Its why building expensive arenas in Canada is a less savvy plan.
    Last edited by Replacement; 11-09-2018 at 04:34 PM.

2018 isn't over.
    Yeah, but it could also be argued that the 2017 numbers were inflated by the nine sold out Garth Brooks shows in February that year.

Yikes. I had no idea that Edmonton has fallen so far and so fast since Rogers Place replaced Rexall Place as the major concert venue.

Quote Originally Posted by East McCauley View Post
    2018 isn't over.
    Yeah, but it could also be argued that the 2017 numbers were inflated by the nine sold out Garth Brooks shows in February that year.

Yikes. I had no idea that Edmonton has fallen so far and so fast since Rogers Place replaced Rexall Place as the major concert venue.
    Absolutely. The Garth Brooks concerts really inflated 2017 numbers. Those were huge.

Thing is though even the 2017 Pollstar numbers for Rogers were very unimpressive and considerably worse than Rexall routinely had. But people stated in discussions here that it was due to Rexall still being open in 2017. I pointed out it wasn't much of a factor at the time. But now we see that even with Rexall closed Rogers ticket sales numbers are very unimpressive.

It should be an absolute sobering thing to look through the 2018 Rogers place Event nights as I did and see how few these are outside of hockey. Actually with the Hlinka cup added into Oilers and Oilkings were talking close to 90% of events being hockey in 2018.

That isn't really what was forecast.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

2018 isn't over.

there's a lot more that was replaced than just a building...

2018 isn't over.

Absolutely. The Garth Brooks concerts really inflated 2017 numbers. Those were huge.

Thing is though even the 2017 Pollstar numbers for Rogers were very unimpressive and considerably worse than Rexall routinely had. But people stated in discussions here that it was due to Rexall still being open in 2017. I pointed out it wasn't much of a factor at the time. But now we see that even with Rexall closed Rogers ticket sales numbers are very unimpressive.

It should be an absolute sobering thing to look through the 2018 Rogers place Event nights as I did and see how few these are outside of hockey. Actually with the Hlinka cup added into Oilers and Oilkings were talking close to 90% of events being hockey in 2018.

I am sitting in a meeting right now for the Arena District Local Advisory Committee Meeting... and among other things for your Replacement:

'-27 major events/concerts/sporting between now and Oct 31 with an expected total attendance of around 260,000 people.'
    www.decl.org

Boy oh boy tonight's meeting was timely

'Downtown Community Rink was the busiest single pad arena in the city'.
    Users:
    -COE public access/skate-354hrs (fall/winter 2017/201 vs. 33hr city avg.(single sheet)
    -OEG hockey-431hrs
    -OEG other-105hrs
    -MacEwan-550hrs
    -Adult groups-397hrs
    -Minors group-157hrs
    www.decl.org

How many single pad arenas are left in the city?

Quote Originally Posted by SP59 View Post
    How many single pad arenas are left in the city?
    https://www.edmonton.ca/activities_p...locations.aspx
    Feel free to scroll through.

Looking forward to your comments in light of the new information Replacement.
    www.decl.org

2018 isn't over.

I am sitting in a meeting right now for the Arena District Local Advisory Committee Meeting... and among other things for your Replacement:

'-27 major events/concerts/sporting between now and Oct 31 with an expected total attendance of around 260,000 people.'
    I count 23 actual events and that's including all Oil Kings games, Oilers games and even the rookie game tonight. Which was only 4K.

Of course during hockey season there is going to be more events. But I also covered those above.

The 260K figure is more reasonable. I estimate around 240K with those events but in the same ballpark.

November is a hot month too, but not much in December. Only hockey games

ps are you counting Grow with Google, in Ford Hall, and We alberta?
    Last edited by Replacement; 11-09-2018 at 10:28 PM.

Certainly am... both will be big draws in different ways.
    www.decl.org

I can't see the Grow with google thing in Ford hall being all that big.

The other We Alberta one would but its pretty much a school field trip type thing. its not like they're going to let them school kids wander all around DT and go to bars and restaurants and revitilize things. More like in/out on school busses. No?

Maybe we are deadmonton after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Maybe we are deadmonton after all.

That's what Billy Corgan said..

Seriously?
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

In a positive sense, I think: http://www.gigcity.ca/2018/09/10/sma...gods-edmonton/

Corgan appeared even more human later, when he finally broke down the barrier between himself and the crowd. Relating to his fans about driving around the city not knowing where he was, he couldn’t resist in sharing an epiphany.

“Then I see a sign: Deadmonton,” he said wistfully as cheers erupted. “I said, wow, that’s pretty cool! I wanna live in Deadmonton!”
    “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

Likely Deadmonton House on Gateway Blvd.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    In a positive sense, I think: http://www.gigcity.ca/2018/09/10/sma...gods-edmonton/

Corgan appeared even more human later, when he finally broke down the barrier between himself and the crowd. Relating to his fans about driving around the city not knowing where he was, he couldn’t resist in sharing an epiphany.

“Then I see a sign: Deadmonton,” he said wistfully as cheers erupted. “I said, wow, that’s pretty cool! I wanna live in Deadmonton!”
    I was there and honestly it was hard to tell. Corgan and Iha are famously sarcastic. I think the diatribe later about "wouldn't you want to live here, Deadmonton" started to drag on.

my initial reaction was he was liking it. But then I also knew they were not too pleased with the attendance here, and in some of the latter concerts to end the 40 show tour. On the night you could feel the Pumpkins wanted to end the tour in a bang but instead ended up cancelling Boise Idaho show and then some wondering if Edm and Cgy would be cancelled due to poor sales.

The audience that was there, (only 4-5k)we tried to cheer the band on, but it was a disappointing night from a fan support pov. Would be depressing for the band to look out at the empty seats after they'd worked hard the whole tour playing for over 3hr shows.

For those familiar with Corgan you know that he is DISGUSTED in the music industry and present day tastes and rails against that all the time. So it must feel like he's banging his head against the wall. On one tour a number of years ago the band would do songs with several minutes of bird sounds interspersed and stretched shows out to 4hrs with Lou Reed type noise. Corgan later explained it was the band wanting to know who the real fans are and who would stay.

So theres lots of love/hate going on. Reality being is shows are poorly attended because fans have been screwed by the band before. like another poster mentioned they also used to intentionally play weird setlists and refuse to play a lot of their better material. Neil Young used to be like that throughout the 80's.

interesting thing is 6yrs ago Corgan stated that going up on stage and just playing the oldies hits would seem like "slow death" to him. But now he's doing it. He's also capitulated on devising songs to fit the strict ADHD/Spotify parameter of the song must hit home in the first 10 secs or its dead. He said he wouldn't condone that or reinforce that paradigm. Kind of worries me with where he's at now. He's surrendered basically everything he's stated he's against. he even had Courtney Love on a couple of shows. Who he's referred to as the devil...
    Last edited by Replacement; 12-09-2018 at 11:43 AM.

Glad to know they drove around our city for a tour. Kind of cool with the play on word.

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    Glad to know they drove around our city for a tour. Kind of cool with the play on word.
    If it's the sign I'm thinking of it was literally on their way to the arena from the airport.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.L View Post
    If it's the sign I'm thinking of it was literally on their way to the arena from the airport.
    What sign is that? Not sure which sign he was referring to. Is it an add billboard for a Deamonton Halloween event?

Yeah, I doubt they spend much time in Edmonton other than the show.

They played Calgary the evening prior. After 40shows together the band probably couldn't wait to leave each others company pronto after the Edmonton show. These are not molecules or electrons that attract

Hey, for all we know maybe Corgan will tweet from WEM.

Weird that an online rumor spread that he was dead the night of the Calgary show.
    Last edited by Replacement; 12-09-2018 at 12:11 PM.

https://deadmontonhouse.com/

Haunted house & Halloween store on Gateway just south of Old Strathcona. They have a big sign out front, and maybe even a billboard.

Exactly, likely on the way into town from YYC-YEG-DT.
    www.decl.org

Deadmonton House moved out of downtown?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Rogers ranked around 156
    Did some research on the Pollstar numbers comparing Rexall Place with Rogers Place for ticket sales for the world's top 200 concert venues by year. 2016 is not included because concerts were split between the two venues that year.

Rexall Place:
    2012 #26
    2013 #54
    2014 #33
    2015 #44

Rogers Place:
    2017 #77
    2018 #156 (first six months)

This decline in how Edmonton's major concert venue ranks relative to other venues worldwide is concerning. Pollstar rankings are generally considered the gold standard when it comes to music promoters deciding into which cities and venues to book their tours.

Remember some season will have more activity than others. Are we seeing direct correlation between Rogers lower toll vs acts or events bypassing Edmonton; or was that the contention of this comparison to Rexall.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Rogers ranked around 156
    Did some research on the Pollstar numbers comparing Rexall Place with Rogers Place for ticket sales for the world's top 200 concert venues by year. 2016 is not included because concerts were split between the two venues that year.

Rexall Place:
    2012 #26
    2013 #54
    2014 #33
    2015 #44

Rogers Place:
    2017 #77

This decline in how Edmonton's major concert venue ranks relative to other venues worldwide is concerning. Pollstar rankings are generally considered the gold standard when it comes to music promoters deciding into which cities and venues to book their tours.
    it also needs to be noted that 2017 included 9 sold out shows by garth brooks in a single week.

2017 also included the three day professional bull riders pbr global cup event at rogers place. while the pbr will be back in Edmonton for 2018, it's only for a single day (not the finals) and they'll be in expo hall, not rogers place, this year.

Remember some season will have more activity than others. Are we seeing direct correlation between Rogers lower toll vs acts or events bypassing Edmonton; or was that the contention of this comparison to Rexall.
    Pollstar tracks the music concert industry only, not other events like professional wrestling or rodeos. I'm not necessarily contending anything just reporting facts. One of the new arena's selling points to non-NHL fans was that a brand new venue would attract more big name music acts to Edmonton compared to the "antiquated" Rexall Place. While two years is a rather small sample size so far this does appear to be the case .

Northlands was highly motivated to attract big name concerts (as well as other non-hockey events) to Rexall Place as a way to off-set their $1 per year Oilers lease with a profitable business line. Does the OEG, which gets all of the revenues from Oilers home games, have the same motivation and incentive?

Rogers ranked around 156

Rexall Place:
    2012 #26
    2013 #54
    2014 #33
    2015 #44

Rogers Place:
    2017 #77

This looks like a sign of the economic times we live in. Fewer people with less disposable income to come enjoy the shows. I wonder if this has been flagged to ATB Financial's "The Owl"?

I too was at the Smashing Pumpkins show. Was supposed to sit in the in upper bowl, but tickets got swapped at the gate for floor seating.
    While this was good for me, it was not good for the show. I thought Edmonton had a lot more Pumpkin fans. A real disappointment there were so few people.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Deadmonton House moved out of downtown?
    Outgrew the Paramount.
    www.decl.org

"I wonder if this has been flagged to ATB Financial's "The Owl"?"

Call CNN as well. Shine the biggest flashlight you can on this issue if it will make you happy.

Everything costs a lot more at Rogers than it did at Rexall. Maybe they are grabbing a bigger take from the performers as well. That would turn them off to coming here. Just a thought.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast