Thread: BT cancelled, to be replaced by Dinner Television

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default BT cancelled, to be replaced by Dinner Television

Breakfast Television in Edmonton replaced by prime time broadcast Dinner Television
    http://metronews.ca/news/edmonton/13...er-television/

Breakfast Television is no more in Edmonton, with a new dinner broadcast scheduled to hit Edmonton airwaves, according to a City television media release on Thursday.

NHL alum Jason Strudwick will host “Dinner Television,” which is being coined as a “new local, entertaining and interactive prime-time series.”

“The dinner time-slot was previously under-served by local programming,” said Jordan Schwartz, Vice President, In-House Productions, Rogers in a release.

City officials did not respond further to Metro interview requests.

Edmontonians took to social media Thursday to post their disappointment the morning broadcast will be no more.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I enjoyed BT, would not likely watch a DT.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

I'd rather C2E than work!

BT to DT. Is this a forward move?
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

City officials did not respond further to Metro interview requests.
    This really threw me. Probably should have said "City TV officials." I bet Jesperson is happy he left when he did.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle24306838/

Rogers will eliminate its low-rated Breakfast Television program in Edmonton and replace it with a two-hour early evening broadcast known as Dinner Television, beginning May 19. That show, which will be hosted by the NHL veteran Jason Strudwick, will feature light chat about local events but no original newsgathering.

It will repeat the following morning in the old Breakfast Television time slot, with that day’s traffic, weather and updated local news.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/roge...nton-1.3065351

Rogers, which owns OMNI along with City in several markets across the country, also announced it has cancelled its Breakfast Television morning news show in Edmonton, and will replace it with Dinner Television, which will air daily from 5 to 7 p.m. and feature ex-NHLer Jason Strudwick along with Bridget Ryan and Courtney Theriault, who used to be on Breakfast Television.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Most of the cuts seem to be with OMNI.
    But I wonder why the BT change is only happening in Edmonton and not other stations? I know that the Global and CTV morning shows are more popular, but I thought same would hold true in other cities.

BT Edmonton used to be really good, I believe at one point it had the highest ratings in Edmonton for its category, but ever since they had that format change where they have to do news updates every 30 seconds it really went downhill. With Brotzel and Jesperson gone it really became quite inane.

BT slide to the bottom started after Mark Scholtz and Steve Antle left.
    Go ahead, speed pass me... I'll meet you at the next red light.

I loved the Big Breakfast with Scholtz and Antle. I tuned out after Scholtz was fired and was replaced by the MuchMusic guy who only stayed long enough for a cup of coffee. I continued to stay away because I can't stand Bridget Ryan - but she's going to be on the new DT show.

I'm intrigued by the choice of Strudwick. He's not bad on radio (particularly with Gregor), he has a goofy, jock charm. His TV persona on TSN is... wooden. Discussing local events? I hope he's got a good producer.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

I'll be very interested to see how Struddy's well-earned fanbase takes to his new co-host Bridget Ryan. I've always been okay with Bridget but I'm not sure how her in-your-face high school Drama Club personna will play with those who are used to Jason interacting with the Marc Majeaus & Jason Gregors of this world.

I like Strudwick on the radio, but that's when he's talking about hockey. Not sure how well this is going to play out, especially if it's competing against local dinner newscasts on Global and CTV. Sounds like a hail mary pass to me.

On City TV this morning they were playing Murdoch Mysteries framed inside a news ticket/weather forecast. That's kinda weird. Not sure how many people will look forward to watching Murdoch Mysteries when they wake up in the morning on a work day.

C2E Posting Power

This show is an absolute train wreck....local news is pretty much a disaster in this city...national news is a joke - ALL TO. What do we do? We watch Robin Meade in the morning for a "pick-me-up" and hear what the hell is happening in Atlanta and we're none the wiser....deal?

I wouldn't call it a train wreck. I still like Struds and the personality he brings to the show, but for local news you're better off watching Global or CTV (although in the morning they spend way too much time on weather and traffic)

CBC News network is talking about nothing but Pan Am games right now. I wonder if they'd be giving it so much attention if it was in Edmonton instead of Toronto.

Have never watched Dinner Television yet, though Claire Hanna looks like a good reason to do so! But DT isn't really a newscast, it's more of a news magazine show. The only reason it replaced BT is to save production costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Have never watched Dinner Television yet, though Claire Hanna looks like a good reason to do so! But DT isn't really a newscast, it's more of a news magazine show. The only reason it replaced BT is to save production costs.
    As easy as Claire Hanna is on the eyes, she's every bit as painful to the ears. Don't go there before making sure your MUTE button is fully operational.

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by Esk Fan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    As easy as Claire Hanna is on the eyes, she's every bit as painful to the ears. Don't go there before making sure your MUTE button is fully operational.
    Oh for sure...she is already added to the sp%ank bank.....

So when are people thinking that Rogers will wise up and see that the old format BT Edmonton was a success and they should go back to that instead of the low production value DT which has production values about as good as NAIT TV

^do they care? The only thing that surprises me about this thread, is that there are still so many people who haven't cut the cord yet. I think that's what all the cable companies are most worried about at the moment. Had to pay $5 more on my internet bill from TELUS this month thanks to their new "pay for use" model... hopefully one day local programing will stream through roku/apple TV/etc., so I can watch Strudwick or similar, once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by NGlenora View Post
    So when are people thinking that Rogers will wise up and see that the old format BT Edmonton was a success and they should go back to that instead of the low production value DT which has production values about as good as NAIT TV
    As a devoted TSN 1260 listener and hockey fan, I've felt obligated a few times to check out how Jason Strudwick was faring in his new role on DT. The low production values you mention struck me immediately. There's an awkward feel to almost every aspect of the show. City TV vets Bridget Ryan & Courtney Theriault are okay but I prefer them in the studio as they were on BT at the end. I presume that studio-bound Strudwick is being groomed for a similar role on Rogers hockey telecasts in the future. The times I've watched it's been a little hard to judge exactly how he's doing due to the loud, shrill, amateurish presence of Claire Hanna which negatively overshadows all else on DT.

That explains why they had that other girl doing the on-site stuff. I think they said she was a producer or something. Can't remember her title but she's apparently doing double duty now.

Seeing some tweets that today is Bridget Ryan's last day at CityTV. Don't know why, I'm guessing it might have something to do with them dumping Dinner TV and bringing back the evening newscasts. IIRC I think Bridget is the last of the former A-Channel on-air crew.

Did you know? From Fox Entertainment. BRIDGET RYAN is an award winning actor, singer, playwright, director and television host from Edmonton Alberta and recently completed a sold-out run at The Citadel Theatre’s new cabaret space, The CLUB for the third year in a row. Bridget graduated from the University of Cincicnnati’s College Conservatory of Music with a BFA in Musical Theatre and moved to New York City as a working actor. She has performed in several national tours across the states and has worked as an actor at just about every single major theatre company in Canada.

Bridget became interested in Cabaret in her early years in New York City. She developed her first cabaret ‘Go Big Or Go Home’ and garnished rave reviews, being described by Playbill’s Theatre Critic Peter Filichia as a ‘force to be reckoned with’. He then awarded her with the prestigious ‘Straw Hat’ Theatre Award for most exciting new comer and ‘the one to watch’. She has since gone on to perform her cabarets all over and returns to New York this fall for a two week run.

When she is not performing, Bridget is Co-host of Breakfast Television on CITY in Edmonton AB. She is the recipient of two Sterling Awards for Theatre Excellence; author of three published children’s books (www.whoisboo.com) and for the past six years, has been voted ‘Favourite Personality’ in Vue Weekly. Bridget was also awarded ‘Woman of the Year’ in 2011 alongside ‘Man of the year’, Olympian Kevin Martin.

I had no idea she was an actor, singer, playwright or director. Cool.

CityNews replacing Dinner TV
    http://www.edmontonsun.com/2017/08/2...cing-dinner-tv

...beginning Monday, Sept. 4, Edmontonians will get a fresh approach to local news with the launch of CityNews which will air nightly at 6 p.m. and 11 p.m, 7 days a week.

The news department will be run by Scott Fralik who was born and raised in Edmonton before working in the U.S. for years. He returned to the city in 2008 at CBC, then moved over to become managing editor at CTV before accepting this position.

Scott tells me, "Our format will be anchor-less. We’ll focus instead on the journalists who actually hit the streets to find and report the stories. It’s a format that has worked at CityNews Toronto where they’re seeing growth in the 25-54 demographic. Our news team reflects Edmonton’s highly diverse community."
    The article has brief bios of the reporters, which are essentially Courtney Theriault plus a group of young unknowns.
    I'll give it a fair shot for sure.

C2E Posting Power

Sounds absolutely terrible....just shut down the station already...

City tv seems amateur ish , like it's from somebody's rumpus room in the basement or someone's fixed up garage. Well there are hubcaps outside.

With all the cord-cutting and access to on-demand streaming, are fewer people watching traditional TV these days?

I wonder how are local (and Canadian) TV stations doing, ratings-wise year-over-year.

^ I heard from a friend of mine who is a broadcast technician, that they tried to hand in their license and was turned down.
    Go ahead, speed pass me... I'll meet you at the next red light.

I decide to finally give CityNews a try earlier this evening.
    The anchor-less newscast definitely moves things along at a quick pace as each story follows one after the other without any prelude from a talking head.
    The majority of the reporters are a young, diverse crop who are likely going to use this station as a starting point or a waystation to something better.
    However, there's very little local content. After 10 minutes they starting doing stories from reporters in other cities.
    The attacks here and in Vegas took about 6/8 of the newscast, each reporter here and other cities tackling different angles.
    It's an hour-long broadcast but the stories are repeated in each half hour, so I flipped the channel at about 6:40 PM.

Overall, an D+. It's okay if CTV News is not available for whatever reason, but I'll continue to stick with D-Mac and crew.
    Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 06-10-2017 at 11:03 PM.