Thread: New York Times article on Alberta

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Default New York Times article on Alberta

Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

Another "came for the oil money, shocked to realize Alberta is way more socially and economically robust than I realized" blowhard. I'm not sure if we have a perception problem, or everyone else has a head-up-arse problem at this point.

Edit: I should add, every blog like this is some blowhard "discovering" how great this province is and pretending to be the first to let the rest of the world know. I bet these people are the same people that just tag every person they know on every mildy interesting social media click-bait that comes their way too, because they need to be the one that told their friends about that cool new whatever that happened.
    Last edited by Chmilz; 20-05-2015 at 12:36 PM.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    Another "came for the oil money, shocked to realize Alberta is way more socially and economically robust than I realized" blowhard. I'm not sure if we have a perception problem, or everyone else has a head-up-arse problem at this point.

Edit: I should add, every blog like this is some blowhard "discovering" how great this province is and pretending to be the first to let the rest of the world know. I bet these people are the same people that just tag every person they know on every mildy interesting social media click-bait that comes their way too, because they need to be the one that told their friends about that cool new whatever that happened.
    What? Did you even read the article? You have a very, very different take on it than what I walked away with. Basically the author was told that Alberta was basically Texas, and since he's been here he's come to realize (especially after the election) that that is absolutely not the case. Even your comment about "came for the oil money" is bizarre, given that the author is "an associate professor of Spanish and Latin American studies at the University of Alberta". Is there are a lot of oil money in Spanish and Latin American studies that I'm unaware of?

^in fairness, you must admit, there have been a ton of articles over the years of people "discovering" Alberta / finding out we aren't all rednecks. This one is much of a muchness to all of those.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post

What? Did you even read the article? You have a very, very different take on it than what I walked away with. Basically the author was told that Alberta was basically Texas, and since he's been here he's come to realize (especially after the election) that that is absolutely not the case. Even your comment about "came for the oil money" is bizarre, given that the author is "an associate professor of Spanish and Latin American studies at the University of Alberta". Is there are a lot of oil money in Spanish and Latin American studies that I'm unaware of?
    He clearly states that his job is buttered by the oil industry via it being paid for by oil money (also not really true, in my opinion). And my rant is exactly that he came here expecting Texas north and finding that it isn't, however he thinks it happened overnight, when really Alberta has been far more progressive for quite some time. Electing the NDP is just a very public acknowledgment of the progressive nature of the province. The PC's weren't exactly the Tea Party here, and Albertans have been a progressive bunch regardless of who they elect.

The author's "revelation" is not only smug, but dated. He's trying to be a cool kid walking into a room he expected to be full of losers and then letting them know they're cool enough for him with a snappy article posted to the NY Times.
    Last edited by Chmilz; 20-05-2015 at 12:59 PM.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

I'd rather C2E than work!

He needs to keep in mind that he is in Edmonton, not Grande Prairie, Medicine Hat, Okotoks, Ponoka or Pincher Creek. Maybe he should think of Austin, it is a very progressive and liberal city and similar to Edmonton in many ways. As for Calgary, I think it is quite a bit different than Edmonton and more to the Houston side. I find most rural areas can still be compared to Texas in a lot of ways.

C2E Long Term Contributor

I see nothing negative about the article. If anything, it is helping to bury long-held presumptions about Alberta. I'm also glad there's a significant focus on Edmonton, given that most other national and international media portray Calgary as the only metropolis in Alberta. And most significantly, this is being published by one of the most widely-read newspapers on the planet.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    He needs to keep in mind that he is in Edmonton, not Grande Prairie, Medicine Hat, Okotoks, Ponoka or Pincher Creek. Maybe he should think of Austin, it is a very progressive and liberal city and similar to Edmonton in many ways. As for Calgary, I think it is quite a bit different than Edmonton and more to the Houston side. I find most rural areas can still be compared to Texas in a lot of ways.
    Qft.

The image of Alberta doesn't come from Edmonton.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

All good points

"WHEN I moved from Houston to Edmonton, Alberta, in 2008, I was told to prepare for a soft landing, politically speaking. Alberta was supposed to be just like the Lone Star State: a place full of backslapping good ol’ boys in cowboy hats, riding high on the hog of oil money." http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/20/op...=fb-share&_r=0

The above sounds like it might be grossly erroneous generalization of Texas.

Brother and sister-in-law used to live just outside of Houston, right next to the Johnson Space Centre.

It's not that far off the mark from what I saw on our visits there. Not everyone is a "cowboy" or a redneck but there's enough of them that you get the feeling there's more of them than there are. Lots of cowboy hats and boots worn with suits. Lots of pick-up trucks that look like they've never hauled anything in the bed, adorned with lots of chrome.

First impressions are important.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

I have a close friend that went to the US for some pipeline work and came back with stars & stripes on his fancy cowboy boots.