Thread: St. Albert and Edmonton looking at integrated transit system

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default St. Albert and Edmonton looking at integrated transit system

St. Albert and Edmonton looking at integrated transit system
    http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/st-albert...stem-1.2384920

A collaborative plan between the St. Albert and Edmonton could see the two cities sharing an integrated transit system in the near future.

The goal is to provide better customer service by expanding upon current initiatives and potentially speed up the extension of the LRT to St. Albert from Edmonton.

The Capital Region currently has eight distinct municipal transit systems, each operating independently. One of the objectives of the Capital Region Board has been to look at the integration of regional services like public transportation.

Documents cite success stories from public transit systems throughout Canada who have already moved towards integrated systems; this includes Metro Vancouver and regions in eastern Canada.

Once given the green light, a detailed plan would be brought to both St. Albert and Edmonton councils by September 2016.

If the two cities agree that the plan is viable and implemented, the plan appears to encourage other municipal transit systems to consider integration.

The topic will be brought up Wednesday in the City of Edmonton Transportation Committee meeting.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E SME

It will probably help with the LRT planning.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

I'd rather C2E than work!

it could help expand LRT into St Albert from NAIT earlier than planned
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

Accelerated LRT to the NW would be fantastic.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Encouraging, this. Is this the thin edge of the wedge for a capital region-wide transit system?
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

++

LRT to St. Albert would be awesome. I'd also use it to get to the movie theatres on the way to St. Albert.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

highlander

Except the current plan is to get to st. albert via Castledowns, which is somewhat reasonable given the huge cost of LRT construction.

I agree, though. A St. Albert line branching off the West low-floor line at 121st and using existing existing and abandoned rail corridors could be extremely inexpensive as LRT lines go and would double the coverage of having a single NW line as planned.

St' Albert's buses into Edmonton should be a model for how to do express, pre-LRT bus routes.

^ Don't you know, we try to push LRT where the line will cost us the most. Using 121 st to get to St Albert has been a long LRT dream of mine.

The signs have been in place--literally--for a few years now. The abandoning of the Ax naming convention for St. Albert commuter busses and adopting the ETS-compatible 20x convention (along with Sherwood Park using 40x) tipped the hat a long time ago.

And as previously detailed, the reaction of St. Albert Transit (and St. Albert, in general) to this possible development all along has been cordial and receptive. Sure there might be a pearl-clutcher letter to the St. Albert Gazette or two but by and large this should be a smooth process.
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

C2E SME

This would be great as it simplifies matters a whole lot and would make it easier to get in and out of St. Albert to Edmonton and vice versa. LRT line through and from St. Albert could have a very positive effect on traffic congestion in that corner of the city. It could even affect further quicker expansion to other routes as LRT becomes more and more attractive to more people.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Dialog View Post
    And as previously detailed, the reaction of St. Albert Transit (and St. Albert, in general) to this possible development all along has been cordial and receptive. Sure there might be a pearl-clutcher letter to the St. Albert Gazette or two but by and large this should be a smooth process.
    I guess I'm one of those pearl clutchers. The thought of ETS merging with STAT is a scary one in my mind, seeing as the quality difference between the two systems is night and day. STAT buses are usually clean, relatively on-time, and more comfortable. ETS buses are usually dirty, almost always horribly late, and generally uncomfortable.

Not to mention the fact that ETS buses usually have a sketchier level of clientele, depending on what routes you take. I feel much safer riding with the passengers on a STAT bus than I ever do on an ETS bus.

C2E SME

I think St. Albert should be okay, given they don't travel in any shady neighbourhoods.

St. Albert had already approved their first stage conceptual LRT route last fall, aligned with Edmonton's. It also make sense to start aligning bus routes.

Realistically, we're still at least 20 years off LRT being extended there though.

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post

A collaborative plan between the St. Albert and Edmonton could see the two cities sharing an integrated transit system in the near future.

The goal is to provide better customer service by expanding upon current initiatives and potentially speed up the extension of the LRT to St. Albert from Edmonton.

The Capital Region currently has eight distinct municipal transit systems, each operating independently. One of the objectives of the Capital Region Board has been to look at the integration of regional services like public transportation.

Documents cite success stories from public transit systems throughout Canada who have already moved towards integrated systems; this includes Metro Vancouver and regions in eastern Canada.

Once given the green light, a detailed plan would be brought to both St. Albert and Edmonton councils by September 2016.

If the two cities agree that the plan is viable and implemented, the plan appears to encourage other municipal transit systems to consider integration.

The topic will be brought up Wednesday in the City of Edmonton Transportation Committee meeting.
    ???

1. ETS
    2. St. Albert Transit
    3. Strathcona County Transit
    4. Leduc Transit

What are the other 4?

Quote Originally Posted by JordanGalhanth View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dialog View Post
    I guess I'm one of those pearl clutchers. The thought of ETS merging with STAT is a scary one in my mind, seeing as the quality difference between the two systems is night and day. STAT buses are usually clean, relatively on-time, and more comfortable. ETS buses are usually dirty, almost always horribly late, and generally uncomfortable.

Not to mention the fact that ETS buses usually have a sketchier level of clientele, depending on what routes you take. I feel much safer riding with the passengers on a STAT bus than I ever do on an ETS bus.
    Yeah I'm just not that scared by 'sketchy' people. And you are aware that ETS wouldn't bus in sketchy people to scare the residents of Erin Ridge or Lacombe Park Estates, that these people get on ETS from 'sketchy' areas and since we know St. Albert is pristine, pure and free of sketch then it follows that there could never be sketchiness in St. Albert?

x a whole bunch

My experience with StAT busses is that many of the drivers don't give a toss for timetable accuracy beyond the start and end points of the route—I'm talking published schedule timing points—and treat that aspect of their job in the way that many here decry millennials of not caring about their part-time jobs. Except they're late boomers approaching retirement.

But that's my *experience*
    Last edited by Dialog; 24-05-2015 at 02:04 PM.
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatestX View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post

???

1. ETS
    2. St. Albert Transit
    3. Strathcona County Transit
    4. Leduc Transit

What are the other 4?
    Spruce Grove and Fort Saskatchewan are the only other two that come to mind.

Stony Plain?

didn't beaumont start something up recently?

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    That's Beaumont Texas

^ that link is for transit in Beaumont, Texas.

Beaumont operates a single shuttle route to Mill Woods, I'm not sure if that is included as a full on transit service for this count.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

^^Oh Goddammit; serves me right for not reading the fine print! This was all I could find on the Beaumont, AB website: http://www.town.beaumont.ab.ca/pages...=4001&pg5=5008

C2E SME

I think Morinville also has a transit link to St. Albert, doesn't it?

Beaumont's and Morinville's no longer operate.

First One is Always Free

I think this is a good sign.

I do think that we should amalgamate and become a super city, it seems to have worked well for Toronto. Being a bigger city with more population may also make Edmonton seem more viable for businesses and such on the global market. In the mean time its good to see regional co-operation. The "capital region" needs to start operating as one Metro area. Could be done with many services like tranist, police, fire, garbage collection, sanitation, roadways etc.
    Greatest City in the world.

Edmonton St. Albert Regional transit system moving forward

http://www.metronews.ca/news/edmonto...-forward-.html
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

First One is Always Free

Good first step, many of these services should be regional. Transit, police, fire, garbage, streets.
    Greatest City in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by etownff View Post
    I think this is a good sign.

I do think that we should amalgamate and become a super city, it seems to have worked well for Toronto. Being a bigger city with more population may also make Edmonton seem more viable for businesses and such on the global market. In the mean time its good to see regional co-operation. The "capital region" needs to start operating as one Metro area. Could be done with many services like tranist, police, fire, garbage collection, sanitation, roadways etc.
    This would be good, more tax dollars going into one single city council to guide development instead of 8(?) different city councils arguing and trying to lure business and people into their communities. definitely streamline a lot of decision making, make mega projects like regional rail and freeways easier to complete, as well as guiding development into single industrial or commercial districts instead of the giant free for all we currently have.

But hey, if beginning with a regional transit authority gets us pointed in the right direction then I'm all for it.

C2E SME

Without a doubt I think it would be beneficial to have a regional transit authority.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

C2E SME

I think it would be great to have the transit systems in Edmonton, St. Albert and Strathcona County have some kind of city-wide grid.

(1) Strathcona County could have bus routes to downtown, university, Davies Station (SE LRT) and possibly Century Park LRT Station.
    (2) St. Albert could have routes to WEM and Century Park, as well as Downtown, University and Westmount.
    (3) Leduc and the International Airport could have the 747 service.