Thread: Izakaya Ikki - Oliver (Illuminada II)

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default Izakaya Ikki - Oliver (Illuminada II)

Awesome

Izakaya Ikki coming to Illuminada II

http://ikki.ca

https://twitter.com/ikkiyeg
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E Continued Contributor

^ Looks like that's in the space where Jono's used to be.

Now there's an izakaya that's not in the middle of some Godforsaken strip mall in the middle of no man's land!
    Is there hope for Edmonton? Yes!!! The Oilers? Wait and see.

すごい~

Super excited about this. Izakaya Tomo is just too out of the way.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Meh,

Shogun has been around the corner from this place for thirty years.

No biggie.

And no surprise to Top_Dawg that Joko's went tits-up.

Well actually it is surprising that it hung on as long as it did.

^ There's also Japonais Bistro just right across from this place. Also an izakaya is more like your typical "tapas" place. Small plates that are best accompanied by select choice liquors. I'm hoping this place will have more of a izakaya layout you'd find in Japan. Tomo lacks the the bar seating and the ability to interact with with your server. Also a more traditional menu would be nice - yakitori please.

That said, Jasper is almost shaping up to becoming a Robson street with all these Japanese restaurants popping up.

Watari, Shogun, Ikki, Japanais Bistro, Kyoto, I Love Sushi,...

Not surprised Jono's closed. It wasn't "uber-chic" enough for Edmonton!
    You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea. - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Super Addict

Quote Originally Posted by B.ike View Post

That said, Jasper is almost shaping up to becoming a Robson street with all these Japanese restaurants popping up.
    "The only really positive thing one could say about Vancouver is, its not the rest of Canada." Oink (britishexpats.com)

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    yup, but so worth it
    www.decl.org

Excited for a new Izakaya addition, especially one a quick bus ride from home downtown. I foresee sake and asahi in my near future.

durn it, why couldn't they have opened this in a more car-friendly driveable location in the 'burbs.. Ikki will be so out of the way.

So IanO, is it "Izikaya" or "Izakaya?"

Hahaha didn't even notice that.

Izakaya
    www.decl.org

Top_Dawg finds the ' Ikki ' part more disconcerting.

^or kawaii
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by Legacy View Post
    durn it, why couldn't they have opened this in a more car-friendly driveable location in the 'burbs.. Ikki will be so out of the way.

So IanO, is it "Izikaya" or "Izakaya?"
    Don't fret, the 'burbs have Swiss Chalet's and Chili's' packed with screaming children - exactly as advertised.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post
    Top_Dawg finds the ' Ikki ' part more disconcerting.
    Yea I can see how this name might be construed in an interesting way..."icky"

BUT:
    "ikki" is actually a phonetic pronunciation of "いっき" which should be pronounced "ee-kee"

And I think it means 'in one breath'. So basically chugging. somewhat fitting name

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    yup, but so worth it
    The food is admittedly worth it, but I still feel like grumbling all the way there about the location. I'm waiting with bated breath for a possible Izakaya Tomo second location someday, though, which would almost certainly be somewhere easier to get to via public transportation.
    Its so beautiful. What sort of bird is that?

Ikki, good, busy, tbd.
    www.decl.org

^What?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    ^What?
    IanO's cryptospeak. He won't translate for you. Someday you'll understand...

That's some fine 3:51am gibberish IanO

I went last night. They tried for 3 seatings (6pm, 7:30pm and 9pm), but it went horribly awry and the later seatings got pushed back by over an hour. I was in the 9pm seating (got there at 830) and didn't get my spot until 10pm and I saw another group from the 9pm seating that was still waiting when I left at 1130pm.

Anyways, food and drink. Tasty, tapa sized portions, surprisingly fair prices. There were some minor executions errors which I pointed out to the owner who took the feedback very well. I think it they did very well to stick to the Izakaya theme of being a pub. Pop in, have a beer, sake, some snacks. One thing to note is that they don't seem to have a robata, so the grilled dishes (ie yakitori) don't have that hardwood charcoal flavor you would associate with Japanese grilling.

Overall I think it will do well once they start standard operations and not try to cram so many people (in large groups) in limited amounts of time. I would love a place like this in my neighborhood. In comparison to Tomo, I think Tomo has better food, but is quite expensive and out of the way. Ikki is definitely more accessible (location, price, pub), while Tomo is more of a destination restaurant. Both are great!

^What?
    6pm sitting, packed, taster was nice, needs a couple of weeks. It will be a hard place to get in.
    www.decl.org

Huh, I guess there were a bunch of us there opening night.

Not exactly impressed by the food itself. Started off amazing, with the tacowasa and beef tataki which I did not expect much from but went downhill steadily with each passing plate. I'd nitpick on the rice and such but it's rather unfair... I will definitely be back a couple times to see if they've worked out the kinks.

But there's a great sake choice. Creative cocktails though the execution on some of them were lacking.

The atmosphere will be amazing if they can keep the full house - which isnt hard considering the place seats about 5 tables and 10 bar seats. Will be a cozy joint for those in the Oliver area. And here are some pictures....looks like they didn't really renovate too much from the previous establishment.

So feeling unsatisfied, I hit up Yokozuna for some yakitori and other skewers done properly. Not a big fan of yokozuna for their fish, but their "yaki" grilled meats are probably the best we have in Edmonton. As bolo puts it, you do get that charcoal flavour:

www.decl.org

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    ^What?
    6pm sitting, packed, taster was nice, needs a couple of weeks. It will be a hard place to get in.
    Ikki wasn't terribly hard to get in. I went in at 5 pm last night on Sunday, and despite that there was a fair number of customers, I managed to snag a seat at the bar. Still, given its small size, I'd imagine it'd still be be a bit hard to get in even as a single customer on days like Fridays and Saturdays.

I had the sake flight and a bottle of Sapporo, and also some yakitori and takoyaki. The yakitori was sweet and not too bad, but didn't have that "BBq'ed" touch to it like it would be from a Japanese resto with a robata. The takoyaki wasn't half bad. The staff were very nice people. I'd definitely return sometimes in the near future.
    Is there hope for Edmonton? Yes!!! The Oilers? Wait and see.

^opening night was...

Yup, consensus was good but needs the usual time to work things out a little.
    www.decl.org

Not for Top_Dawg.

Top_Dawg doesn't like that feeling of the other ten customers sitting on top of him.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Was there at opening night as well. Really loved the takowasabi. I'm seriously considering going back to do the pork stew challenge... but it's the rice part that'll be tough to conquer haha