Thread: Rumour: Nandos to open up in Edmonton

Default Rumour: Nandos to open up in Edmonton

Someone close to the situation (i.e. owner of an another Nandos) in Western Canada has indicated a Nandos to open up in Edmonton.

Keep an eye on this rumor. I have absolutely no reason to doubt the authenticity of it.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ Isn't there one here already?
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

No. There is one in Calgary, and a bunch in Vancouver.

Very popular joint internationally. The Brits love it, and rightfully so.

That would be amazing....one of the best chicken places I have ever eaten at.

there's one opening in Red Deer as well.
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I'm aware of Church's chicken, not that I've ever eaten in one before but is Nandos anythig like that?
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

C2E Posting Power

they've hinted numerous times on twitter.... love it, nothing fancy or glamorous, just good spicy chicken.
    i love lamp

C2E Super Addict

They've been in Canada since the 90's?.. Always assumed Edmonton had one tucked away somewhere or other, but have never found their selection sufficiently unique to have ever bothered tracking it down. Oh well...
    "The only really positive thing one could say about Vancouver is, it’s not the rest of Canada." Oink (britishexpats.com)

C2E Continued Contributor

For those who are not familiar Nandos specializes in the world famous Portuguese chicken dish known as Peri Peri Chicken... This stuff is amazing!!!

You can actually buy the marinades at most grocery stores in Edmonton already.

Addicted to C2E

Great news! Hope it Is in a central location or WEM.
    Portuguese-style roast chicken id still available in the city, a couple of family-run places on 118Ave do it pretty well (check out Popular Bakery).

Much prefer Tandoori Chicken to Peri Peri. Tandoori offers more flavors, unique spices and succulently prepared chicken than anything prepared as Peri Peri.

The longterm marinating of the Tandoori Chicken (properly done) is what sets it apart and is available in 100's of establishments in Edmonton.

Tried both, Tandoori is so much better.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

I'd rather C2E than work!

Nando's website

http://www.nandos.ca/
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

Can't wait.. Nandos is excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Much prefer Tandoori Chicken to Peri Peri. Tandoori offers more flavors, unique spices and succulently prepared chicken than anything prepared as Peri Peri.

The longterm marinating of the Tandoori Chicken (properly done) is what sets it apart and is available in 100's of establishments in Edmonton.

Tried both, Tandoori is so much better.
    Tandoori chicken however, is not usually available in semi-fast food restaurants.

Different market.

Love Nados...cant wait! I hope its central (downtown would be sweet).

Me too, but I suspect it will be in the Southside.

Could be wrong.

nandos is portugese style chicken from south africa. the chain started there where there is a large portugese community.

miss nandos, something i took for granted back home in Vancouver

this commerical is funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k97AIRy5Z5U

Any word on this?

My family had a 2-day weekend to Calgary just so we could eat at Nandos. Yeah, we're crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by nosepass2 View Post
    Any word on this?

My family had a 2-day weekend to Calgary just so we could eat at Nandos. Yeah, we're crazy.
    Yeah by the end of 2015 it will be open.

Job No 182464506-001
    Description: To construct (3) On-Premises Fascia Signs (Nando's).
    Plan 9422309 Blk 5 Lot 4
    Applicant: ZIP SIGNS LTD.
    Create Date: 11/13/2015 3:09:05 PM

Quote Originally Posted by sonicboom View Post
    Job No 182464506-001
    Description: To construct (3) On-Premises Fascia Signs (Nando's).
    Plan 9422309 Blk 5 Lot 4
    Applicant: ZIP SIGNS LTD.
    Create Date: 11/13/2015 3:09:05 PM
    Best news EVEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

C2E Long Term Contributor

Pretty tasty place I gotta say.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Anyone know if it's opened yet? Can't find any info

Signs are up! Should be opening shortly!

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

^drove by this morning and it seems close to opening. Weeks at most. Too bad it's so out of the way. I hope we see one or two more open. One around Kingsway would do well.

Nando's has been a nightmare coming to Edmonton. I know a previous group that had rights to the Nando's franchise in Edmonton and could not agree on a location for years with Nando's corporate. Good to see it finally got done. The original group sold their rights after it was proving difficult to work with HO.

Opening end of February.

C2E Long Term Contributor

http://edmontonjournal.com/life/food...es-in-edmonton

Nando’s – an international chain that arrived in Canada in 1994 – opens an outlet in Edmonton at the end of February.

Nando’s first opened in South Africa in 1987. Its signature dish is a Portuguese-style, flame-grilled chicken with a kick wrought by peri-peri (a.k.a. African Birds Eye Chilli). Since opening in Richmond, B.C., the chain has spread throughout B.C.’s lower mainland and to Ontario. Today, there are 29 restaurants throughout three provinces.

Nando’s in Edmonton is at 4210 Gateway Blvd. Doors open on Friday Feb. 26. Follow the restaurant on Twitter @nandosperiperi
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

2nd Nando's?

Job No 187312987-001
    Description: To continue to operate a Restaurant and to construct an exterior and interior alterations (Public Space 180 sq.m.) - Nando's
    Plan 9322551 Unit 2
    Applicant: BIND ARCHITECTURE
    Create Date: 2/17/2016 10:46:38 AM

C2E Continued Contributor

Looks like it's taking over the old Pizza Hut location on that end of town.

One more central and west end please.

Partially Addicted to C2E

I did the glass here and the front entrance

Talked to the manager at Nandos Gateway and they said that they're opening a third location at Winderemere!

But nothing central? Nando's would make a great addition to the ICE District. Or Brewery District.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaser View Post
    I did the glass here and the front entrance
    You did a fine job!

Wow, who knew this city so desperately needed Nando's. No reservation accepted for now, 40 min wait time to get inside, 5-10 min line to fill your glass when we visited this afternoon. Overwhelmed service aside, quality was good, definitely better than Vancouver but still below UK franchises.

BTW, to enjoy it to max, feel free to dig in with your hand, rather than cutlery. That's why there is a washing basin in the middle of store

Ok so apparently there's going to be a fourth location in southeast of Edmonton by 17th in Tamarack.

Expected location around Browns Socialhouse Tamarack https://www.google.ca/maps/uv?hl=en&...QZDLwQpx8IajAK
    Last edited by nosepass2; 30-03-2016 at 11:28 AM.

Nando's will not be beside Browns SocialHouse. It will be beside Tim Hortons at 17 street & Maple Road.http://www.dream.ca/centres/wp-conte...amarack-SE.pdf
    In the same center as a new Carls Jr.
    Last edited by janand; 11-04-2016 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Wrong image attached

187312987-002
    17-May-2016
    13324 - 50 STREET NW
    Plan 9322551 Unit 2

To construct an exterior and interior alterations to an existing restaurant space (Nando's)

BIND ARCHITECTURE

Job No 223766543-001
    Description: To change the Use from General Retail Stores to Restaurants (180 sq.m of Public Space) and to construct interior alterations. (NANDO'S)
    Plan 1425753 Blk 21 Lot 2
    Applicant: DIALOG, DAVE EMBURY
    Create Date: 6/13/2016 2:24:29 PM

Yay. Happy. Love that central Edmonton isn't being forgotten about like often happens with new chains arriving in town.

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    Yay. Happy. Love that central Edmonton isn't being forgotten about like often happens with new chains arriving in town.
    What a crazy time. Here on the north side, I'm desperate for new local concepts and no chains.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Local independents are great. But I think most people have a chain or two they like to rely on every once in a while. Nando's will definitely be on my list and I will enjoy it.

I finally tried Nando's a couple month's ago. No idea what the big deal is. It was average food and quite expensive.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Still no update on the rumored expansion to Windermere?

Quote Originally Posted by janand View Post
    Nando's will not be beside Browns SocialHouse. It will be beside Tim Hortons at 17 street & Maple Road.http://www.dream.ca/centres/wp-conte...amarack-SE.pdf
    I can't seem to find the Nando's on the website anymore... I'm assuming they're not going to open on at 17 street anymore.

But more importantly, I see that they're opening a PopEyes!!!

http://www.dream.ca/centres/wp-conte...amarack-SE.pdf

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Apparently the northeast Clareview Nando's opened up Sept 10, 2016.

I found some coupons in the mail for the location and was wondering if anyone has gone and what you thought about the food?
    Last edited by northeast; 30-10-2016 at 08:55 PM.

Default No Nando's in Tamarack

I can't seem to find the Nando's on the website anymore... I'm assuming they're not going to open on at 17 street anymore.

Yeah the location that was marked as Nando's(beside Wind Mobile)is now showing as available for rent. Very sad, was looking forward to it.
    Maybe a non competition with Popeyes!?
    Just a heads up for Popeyes. Popeyes has been open over a month and you still have a wait of 30-40 minutes for their incredible chicken.
    Last edited by janand; 03-01-2017 at 10:10 PM.

Yeah the location that was marked as Nando's(beside Wind Mobile)is now showing as available for rent. Very sad, was looking forward to it.
    Maybe a non competition with Popeyes!?
    Just a heads up for Popeyes. Popeyes has been open over a month and you still have a wait of 30-40 minutes for their incredible chicken.
    Whats incredible about yet another version of deep fried chicken? Everything on their menu is deep fried seemingly. Not only is this type of food preparation bad for you its a cooking process you could train monkeys to do.

Nandos isn't fantastic but its a damn better option than Popeyes and with much more variety on the menu and even healthy options. Meadows got jobbed on this one. Instead of an at least appealing chain we get another junk food chain.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

^they are about equally unhealthy, most restaurants have too much salt, sugar, or fat. If you are eating out for health, then you are not going to be very healthy. If you are eating out to enjoy yourself / have fun / have a break from normal diet, its fine, whether its popeyes, nandos, mcdonalds or the keg.

Graham Hicks reviews Northern Chicken and Popeye's: http://www.edmontonsun.com/2017/01/0...-fried-chicken

Replacement: have you actually been to Popeye's or just maintaining your blather/content ratio?

On Northern Chicken's "Three big boys with obligatory mountain-man beards, ball caps and aprons man the open kitchen and the cash counter." Do these guys wear beard nets or are random facial hairs in one's food part of the hipster charm?
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    ^they are about equally unhealthy, most restaurants have too much salt, sugar, or fat. If you are eating out for health, then you are not going to be very healthy. If you are eating out to enjoy yourself / have fun / have a break from normal diet, its fine, whether its popeyes, nandos, mcdonalds or the keg.
    Granted, but there are differences in restaurants and their menu.

In anycase deep frying as a method of food preparation is McDonalds like in its simplicity. Not a good thing.

Nor should Nando, or the Keg, both of which happen to have a pretty good menu and offering flexibility to every diet be compared to such garbage as Popeyes.

Disclosure. I'm Celiac. Theres not one menu item I could actually eat at Popeyes. Everything is breaded deep fried garbage. That theres already half a dozen deep fried chicken chains would seem to be enough for the marketplace. More to the point in the whole development from Carls to Popeyes to the Sandwich place theres nothing much in terms of flexibility and balanced offerings.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    Graham Hicks reviews Northern Chicken and Popeye's: http://www.edmontonsun.com/2017/01/0...-fried-chicken

Replacement: have you actually been to Popeye's or just maintaining your blather/content ratio?

On Northern Chicken's "Three big boys with obligatory mountain-man beards, ball caps and aprons man the open kitchen and the cash counter." Do these guys wear beard nets or are random facial hairs in one's food part of the hipster charm?

Northern chicken sounds good!

As mentioned I'm Celiac. I can't eat at Popeyes even if I wanted to. I've looked at the menu.

Popeyes is actually mocked as a franchise by the Celiac community with this review (not by me) being typical. Its really the worst chain possible for those that need gluten free';

http://glutenfreeguidehq.com/popeyes-gluten-free-menu/

Most of my reaction is due to being a longterm resident of Millwoods and having better restaurant and chain options that setup shop no closer than Gateway figuring that's good enough to service the sector.
    Last edited by Replacement; 04-01-2017 at 12:47 PM.

^Then WTF does your opinion matter? Just more shut-in noise?

^Then WTF does your opinion matter? Just more shut-in noise?
    You asked so I Replied.

Simple as that.

If you don't want my reply don't address me specifically.

Isn't that how it works?

You opine (negatively) on places you readily admit you can't go to, as though it's useful to anyone.That's the WTF.

Northern Chicken has GF options, and they've even got vegetarian offerings in the works too.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

You opine (negatively) on places you readily admit you can't go to, as though it's useful to anyone.That's the WTF.
    I don't think that hiliting that a chain has nothing but deep fried dreck in entirety is patently un useful. Indeed this is the common critique of the franchise that it offers a nonstop junk menu.

The vast majority of restaurant chains have learned that its helpful, and even prudent to have a range of menu options available. Popeyes? Not so much. Everything coated, everything deep fried. Even for one that avails themselves to the stuff how about the significant other or family member that you are with that might want another option. Most eateries cater with a range of choices.

Thanks Noodle for the information on Northern Chicken. Sounds like a more reasonable establishment.
    Last edited by Replacement; 04-01-2017 at 01:07 PM.

Patently un-useful, except to you. Because it's not a revelation that fast food isn't primo healthy. Neither is it that other places serve a wider range of food. So other than revelling in the sound of your own willingly-uninformed voice while you wait to blather on more about the Oilers, what does that contribute? Especially to a thread that's about a completely different restaurant.

Patently un-useful, except to you. Because it's not a revelation that fast food isn't primo healthy. Neither is it that other places serve a wider range of food. So other than revelling in the sound of your own willingly-uninformed voice while you wait to blather on more about the Oilers, what does that contribute? Especially to a thread that's about a completely different restaurant.
    Apparently I'm the only one in the world with any dietary restriction, or with even a modicum of caring what they eat, or that wants options from *food* establishments.

Popeyes is like a caricature of bad junk food. A meme in how bad dietary options could possibly get and always in the running when such things get discussed.

Nandos at least has an attractive wide ranging menu of options catering better to those that happen to go to the establishments and even allowing tag alongs to be able to order something on the menu that would be suitable for them. Too bad Nandos opted out.
    Last edited by Replacement; 04-01-2017 at 01:33 PM.

Apparently I'm the only one in the world with any dietary restriction, or with even a modicum of caring what they eat, or that wants options from *food* establishments.
    I've long given up on the vast majority of Edmonton's food scene, given the dearth of vegetarian/vegan options at most places. (One token entrée & appetizer is not an "option", imho) There's very few joints in town that cater to both veggies & omnivores and it can be challenging to get the "meat & potatoes" set into a purely-vegetarian establishment. I'm grateful for places like the Buckingham on Whyte & Padmanadi for when it's just me & the wife and/or my vegetarian friends.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

^^Very apparently, since you seem to want to go on about it... Keep chokin' that chicken!

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    I've long given up on the vast majority of Edmonton's food scene, given the dearth of vegetarian/vegan options at most places. (One token entrée & appetizer is not an "option", imho) There's very few joints in town that cater to both veggies & omnivores and it can be challenging to get the "meat & potatoes" set into a purely-vegetarian establishment. I'm grateful for places like the Buckingham on Whyte & Padmanadi for when it's just me & the wife and/or my vegetarian friends.
    Agreed. My wife likes to eat out more than I do and so I accommodate, also with friends. but its harder and harder to find reasonable food options out there when more and more junk chains are filling up the market.

As an option I love to cook and have people over for dinner. Like most people that are reasonably adept in the kitchen you can pull off culinary creations that beat most restaurants. I'm not familiar with Buckingham on Whyte. Been to Padmanadi and that's one that is good for a range of patrons.

I've been a vegetarian at times so I comprehend how hard it is in Edmonton finding options that cater to, or are appealing to a wider range of people.
    Last edited by Replacement; 04-01-2017 at 02:03 PM.

Spudly, why ask a question when you know the answer? lol
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

^But I don't ask questions that I've already decided the answer to. I'm different that way.
    Last edited by Spudly; 05-01-2017 at 02:27 PM.

haha. qft. (btw, love your signature line. Wish I'd thought of it.)