Thread: Nicest Picnic Locations Centrally Located

Default Nicest Picnic Locations Centrally Located

Anyone have any hidden gems outside of the usual Hawrelak Park's etc? Would prefer to avoid crowds.

Headed out with the better half Saturday.

C2E Continued Contributor

Government House park below the Royal Alberta Museum have awesome spots above the trees.

Goldbar park
    My antidepressent drug of choice is running. Cheaper with less side effects!

I'd rather C2E than work!

The north LRT line to Nait I hear is a quiet area. Certainly no crowds
    Noah's ark was built by volunteers...... The Titanic was built by professionals.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

the strip of park at the east end of riverdale has some lovely picnic spots off of the path that are easy to get to by bike ot there is transit and street parking on 87th street. there are some picnic tables. they are small spaces in the river valley canopy so they won't have a lot of direct sunshine but they are quiet. further north towards the dawson bridge there are some benches on the trail that overlook the river and if you continue north of the dawson bridge/rowland road there is a larger picnic pavilion building and more open space right in kinnaird park on the west side of the river across from the riverside golf course (the two locations that should have been proposed for expo).
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

C2E Long Term Contributor

Legislature grounds
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

East end of Emily Murphy Park. Government Hill Park. Picnic areas just north of Mill Creek Pool
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Thanks everyone, great suggestions

MacKinnon Ravine is another good one.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    MacKinnon Ravine is another good one.
    Maybe along the river and closer to Government House Park. The ravine itself these days is growing back quite a bit of the trees/bushes that were cut down 30 years ago, and there's not really a lot of picnic space in it any longer. The trail is also extremely well used, so you'd be sitting only a few feet from large number of people whizzing by on bikes, rollerblades and the like.

I'd agree with Ken, there's some nice spots North of the river past the Dawson Bridge that are nice and quiet. Not nearly as much foot/bike traffic on the paths there. The Legislature grounds are great as well, although they can get pretty busy on a nice day.

Borden park seemed pretty large and well built for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Maybe along the river and closer to Government House Park. The ravine itself these days is growing back quite a bit of the trees/bushes that were cut down 30 years ago, and there's not really a lot of picnic space in it any longer. The trail is also extremely well used, so you'd be sitting only a few feet from large number of people whizzing by on bikes, rollerblades and the like.
    Oh, just read thing about privacy, true. Another really nice one, but not so central, is down near the zoo. You basically drive past the zoo and there's are various picnic areas not far from baseball field (not the other side, which is dog park). That one is amazing in fall.

C2E SME

Yeah, Laurier Park is very nice. But also extremely busy on nice days. Past the dog park and foot bridge North there's lots of walking/bike trails and the occasional clearing that would be a bit more secluded.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Legislature east grounds.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

My wife and I are big on picnics.

My favourite urban picnic -- Caboto park. Pick up the cold cuts, bread, and cheese at Italian centre and you're good to go.

Otherwise -- Anywhere in the River Valley? Some nice spots in Mill Creek Ravine that are nice and quiet.

Yeah, Mill Creek Ravine has some good spots. There's a bench up on a hill overlooking the creek:

https://goo.gl/maps/r0e0h

They also have some secluded spots throughout the ravine. I love exploring the various trails (and bridges) down there.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

C2E Posting Power
    Below that old white mountain, just a little southeast of Nome

There are a few nice picnic spots in Louise McKinney park as well including a few picnic tables in the trees providing a cool respite on a warm day with nice views of the river.

Really appreciate everyone's input - Gord I actually took my pooch for a walk at your suggested spot, really nice.

Ended up in Laurier Park

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Has anyone else noticed sewer odor from Mill Creek or is it just me.

Yeah it got worse after they installed an expensive fume remediation system.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I even smell it driving across the bridge on Whyte . They should locate the source or breach and repair or reroute. About two weeks ago I was scouting the pool and a picnic area for a place to take sonny boy and his mom one day and it was so strong I had second thoughts about returning.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 09-07-2015 at 08:29 AM.

Here is a link to the facility that is at 94th st and Whhte Ave, just on the SE corner of the bridge approach.

http://www.edmonton.ca/city_governme...wer-odour.aspx

"From time to time, there have been minor complaints from nearby residents about the facility’s performance. The cause of the problems have been identified and rectified."
    Judging by my nose when I am cycling along Mill Creek or on Whyte Ave. I believe the quote above as much as I believe that the Metro Line problems are solved.
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 09-07-2015 at 09:12 AM.

It's probably that the city of Edmonton installed this filter and has neglected to change/clean/replace the filter... in other words, standard operating procedure
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

^^

Thanks for the link Edmonton PRT.

But it seems way out of date.

It summarizes work done from 2002 - 2005.

Top_Dawg's south side pad is near the west side of the bridge.

And Top_Dawg remembers there was major work being done at the east end of the bridge during 2013 - 2014.

What was that all about ?