Thread: Fort Edmonton to close for two years

C2E Continued Contributor

Default Fort Edmonton to close for two years

grish

That's really sad. However, 18 months does not have to affect 2 summer seasons do work September 2016 to March 2018... or October 2016 to April 2018.. Even Sept '16 to June '18 is better than two lost seasons...

C2E Long Term Contributor

Doesn't really explain why they can't do it in stages.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Right!? large loss indeed, but needed it seems.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E Hard Core Contributor

I better fit in a visit this summer while I can.

C2E SME

I wonder if the work can be done in stages, minimizing closed off areas.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

If this is needed, do it, and take advantage of the shutdown to improve/upgrade as needed to make this an even better showcase/tourist attraction.

Basically, if you're going to go in, go all-in ... Imho
    i love lamp

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

^my thoughts too, but closing for two whole summers seems a bit strange and unnecessary. one summer sure, but two is a bit much.

Seriously?

Really thought I missed April 1st again. Or this was a zombie thread from the Bill Smith era.

2 summers, total closure?????

Epic fail.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

Who is the project manager?

Circle the best answer.

A. The team from the uncompleted Fort Road TOD Project.
    B. The Jr. Engineer who planned the 23rd Ave interchange
    C. Our friends who brought us the Quesnell Bridge
    D. The snails that closed Scona Road for a year
    E. The bendy bridge boondoggle
    F. Everyone's favorite, the experts from the Metro LRT
    G. All of the above
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 04-07-2015 at 06:48 AM.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

C2E SME

G.

I haven't a clue why this would have to take 2 years unless it was done in stages. But if the whole park is shut down, why couldn't it be done quickly.

Honestly I think someone is try to pull a fast one. Considering that the amount of crew doing the various levels of work, there is absolutely no need for the entire park to be closed.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

C2E Continued Contributor

Amazing how the uninformed can be so critical without knowing the full scope of work required. Are the trenches open cut and where are they? Is pipe bursting involved? Spoil pipes need to be relocated so truck traffic is involved? Does the common need to be conditioned or is import involved?

I think most of you should stick to ragging on the pot hole situation.
    Nobody knows where you are, how near or how far / shine on you crazy diamond

Quote Originally Posted by soycd View Post
    Amazing how the uninformed can be so critical without knowing the full scope of work required. Are the trenches open cut and where are they? Is pipe bursting involved? Spoil pipes need to be relocated so truck traffic is involved? Does the common need to be conditioned or is import involved?

The city should only blame itself. Nobody trusts it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by soycd View Post

If you're such a know-it-all then explain why it can't be done in stages?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

^^^ Did they shut down the Town of Edmonton for two years to upgrade its infrastructure?

Get the work crews some vintage coveralls some vintage barricades and get to work.

Default The reason

The reason why the work would be extremely difficult to do in stages is that the utilities run under the streets themselves. Large portions of the boardwalks will also need to be torn up and rebuilt. Not to mention 2/3 of the parks access requires using said roads.

It would also be near impossible to retain any sort of historical ambiance while the large scale construction is occurring.

Unfortunately this is what happens when the park is slapped together over a few decades with a continually changing plan.

highlander

Streets=Dirt.
    Boardwalks= cheapest, easiest sidewalks to remove and replace.

This is no central station roof re-build, that's for sure.

grish

Quote Originally Posted by Indomitable View Post
    The reason why the work would be extremely difficult to do in stages is that the utilities run under the streets themselves. Large portions of the boardwalks will also need to be torn up and rebuilt. Not to mention 2/3 of the parks access requires using said roads.

It would also be near impossible to retain any sort of historical ambiance while the large scale construction is occurring.

Unfortunately this is what happens when the park is slapped together over a few decades with a continually changing plan.
    Is it not possible to build a parallel infrastructure and simply disconnect the old one once new one is done?

I'd rather C2E than work!

My understanding from the interviews I heard was doing it in stages would take longer and cost a great deal more. While 18 months and two summer seasons is long time it's also the least amount of disruption to the park for the project.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by grish View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Indomitable View Post

Is it not possible to build a parallel infrastructure and simply disconnect the old one once new one is done?
    To even do that would require some incredibly noticeable add ons around period buildings. Which again the construction is going to impact tremendously.

The vast majority of visitors go to the park for its ambiance. When you add in the numerous construction projects, crews, equipment, fencing, machinery operating etc. What's the point? The entire point of visiting is to enjoy the day, and atmosphere.

I also know the park needs a thorough over haul on many items. You'd be surprised, but the fall and summer seasons are way too short to get any serious work done. Winter makes it very difficulties to achieve anything in terms of construction. There are many items that have become chronic but there just isn't an window of opportunity to address them.

I've they are closing the park, I'd hope that they'd use that time as a major opportunity to do expansion or enhancement on a large scale. Delaying the work while undertaking a major fundraising push might allow them turn a negative into a positive.

http://www.edmonton.ca/city_governme...PlanUpdate.pdf
    Last edited by KC; 18-07-2015 at 08:06 PM.

Not won over.

Fort Edmonton Park gets bite of federal infrastructure funding for 2018 reconstruction

EDMONTON - Fort Edmonton Park is receiving half a million dollars from the federal government to use in a major refurbishment of the park.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...012/story.html

Half a million - wow, that'll buy a couple of lightbulbs.
    The park needs extensive utility upgrades amongst other things. I'd love half a million myself but if I'm fixing up Ft. Edmonton it's peanuts in the scheme of things.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

A half million dollars would have built you 10 Forts in 1846...
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Calgary has received over $2B in funding announcements this week and we get a messily $500,000? Screw you Harper.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Fort Edmonton Park to be open year-round following $33.5 expansion
    CBC News Posted: Jul 06, 2016 4:17 PM MTFort Edmonton Park will turn into a year-round operation following a major upgrade.

More details of the project were announced Wednesday. The province had announced earlier it was providing $33.5 million to help the city of Edmonton with the improvements.
    The money will fund construction of the Indigenous Peoples' Experience, a new feature to be developed with the help of Treaty 6 First Nations and the Métis Nation of Alberta.
    The park will also use the funds to expand its midway and the Hotel Selkirk.
    Premier Rachel Notley said supporting tourism is part of her government's plan to diversify the economy.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...667764?cmp=rss

The 1920 or 1905 street needs more buildings. Every building is a standalone...there should be a section of several buildings built side by side by side.

And having it operating in winter with the trains and trams would a very interesting experience. Could probably get a decent draw around Christmas season as well.
    Finally, perhaps they should have a shuttle between Ft Edmonton and Valley Zoo for the winter activities with a single special admission.

They do 'open' at Christmas for nighttime tours and sleigh rides, it is quite a fun time actually.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

It would all depend on weather but I would love to see it.