Thread: Canada's CF18 bases won't have radar units replaced as $55M deal cancelled

Default Canada's CF18 bases won't have radar units replaced as $55M deal cancelled

^

Canada's CF18 bases won't have radar units replaced as $55M deal cancelled

Another multimillion-dollar military purchase has gone off the rails.

The Harper government is terminating its contract with Thales Canada Ltd., which was to supply new radar units to support Canada's CF-18 fighter jet squadrons in Cold Lake, Alta., and Bagotville, Que.

The deal signed in November 2010 was initially worth $55 million for two tactical-control radar systems, with delivery to begin in 2013. Thales won the tender over one other bidder.

Defence Department documents show costs had risen to more than $78 million by 2013. And by November last year, the Public Works Department was deep in negotiations with Thales to resolve problems.

"In February 2015, Canada and Thales reached agreement in principle to terminate this contract by mutual consent," said Public Works spokeswoman Annie Trepanier.

Final talks underway

Negotiations for a final termination agreement are still underway, and Public Works declined to provide any information about penalties, losses to the taxpayer or even the reason for the termination.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cana...lled-1.3145196

I'd rather C2E than work!

Worried that Thales would do as good as job as they have on Edmonton LRT?

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Maybe SH checks out C2E.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

The main thrust of Thales is actually guided missiles and nuclear power plants. Just so that you guys know where to target your panic.

Quote Originally Posted by AShetsen View Post
    The main thrust of Thales is actually guided missiles and nuclear power plants. Just so that you guys know where to target your panic.
    Given that's it's a constorium of companies, they don't have a narrow "main thrust". They do work in military and aerospace but that covers everything from missiles to aircraft carriers. I can't find anything about them building nuclear power plants.

The the train signalling comes from their purchase of Alcatel around 10 years ago although I'm betting that mostly about Alcatel's space business.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

The general thrust is defence contracting. That and accusations of corruption, as per the Wikipedia page.

Googling "thales nuclear plant control" brings up quite a bit.