Thread: National Promotion?

Default National Promotion?

I'm new to the forum so forgive me if this topic has already been discussed in an existing thread.

As a proud Edmontonian now living in Toronto with my husband, I find myself constantly talking-up and trying to educate people here about all the transformations taking place in my hometown. People seem genuinely shocked to meet someone so bullish on Edmonton and who challenges them on their outdated stereotypes of our "subarctic outpost" (as one Globe and Mail article recently put it)

If there was ever a time for a national campaign promoting Edmonton, it would seem that time is now, so I guess my question is: Where is it?

In the relatively short time I've been in TO, I've seen billboards on Yonge St. promoting Nova Scotia, TV spots advertising the Okanagan and PEI and online pop-up ads for the Stampede...so why can't Edmonton talk itself up a bit?

I'm expecting that at least one responder to this thread will jump down my throat for caring too much what others think, but the truth is - I do. I'm sick of defending Edmonton like I'm defending the black plague.

Edmonton has SO much to offer, isn't it time to show it off?

C2E Long Term Contributor

The best person to talk to is Brad Ferguson of the EEDC, who will likely agree with you.
    http://brad-ferguson.com/about/
    http://www.eedc.ca/
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

First One is Always Free

Good Post. Actually in Toronto this week working with research firms. I couldn't agree with you more, and we're in the planning stages. Needed to build our Tourism consumer brand first (2014) and missing Tourism products second (2015) and now positioned for external campaign to target Summer 2016. Send me an email ([email protected]) if you want specifics or have ideas to share. There's only so much Marineland folks in southern Ontario can handle!!

Thanks for the reply, I'll gladly follow-up with an email in the next week or so.

Above all, it would be nice to see a campaign that's edgy and unapologetic in its promotion. I hate to say it but for too long Edmonton has been the "nice guy" and sometimes nice guys finish last. It's time for the city to dust off that image, puff out its chest and strut on the national stage.

My humble dream is to one day tell someone I've just met, "I'm from Edmonton!" and have them reply, "Lucky you!"

This thread got me thinking about collecting a list of Edmonton's Firsts in order to show the world how small "p" progressive we have been.

Then coincidentally today's This Is That replayed an old story from its archives. I can't believe I messed this, but being the first Portal to the Universe is something we could hang our hat on.

Definitely travel back in time and "listen" to the interview with counsellor Shepherd

Tuesday February 04, 2014
    City of Edmonton to change slogan from 'Gateway to the North' to 'Portal to the Universe'

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/thisisthat/l...erse-1.2843326

Anyway, if you think about various cities around the world, that you have NOT yet visited but have a positive impression of, what is it that defines that impression? I think it's often just a few well known features. What would those be for Edmonton?

...and what myths about Edmonton do we need to bust.
    Last edited by KC; 20-07-2015 at 01:05 PM.

I think we should hold pause on the self promotion front until 2020 or so. Wait until we really have something new to talk about in the visit/live file.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

C2E Super Addict

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post

Anyway, if you think about various cities around the world, that you have NOT yet visited but have a positive impression of, what is it that defines that impression? I think it's often just a few well known features. What would those be for Edmonton?

...and what myths about Edmonton do we need to bust.
    Outside of the relatively local, that it's, in any meaningful way, ever likely to be a tourist destination.
    "The only really positive thing one could say about Vancouver is, it’s not the rest of Canada." Oink (britishexpats.com)

^ reality: WEM alone already draws more tourists than the Rocky Mountains, if you've ever heard of them, that is.

C2E Super Addict

Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
    ^ reality: WEM alone already draws more tourists than the Rocky Mountains, if you've ever heard of them, that is.
    I assumed the conversation was about the potential of attracting tourists from beyond Gibbons and Bonnyville ?
    "The only really positive thing one could say about Vancouver is, it’s not the rest of Canada." Oink (britishexpats.com)

^ turn up your nose to whatever you want, but beyond Bonnyville (which I love) we're the number one destination for all of the Prairies and the North, including from Northern British Columbia and Calgary, and beginning to draw from much farther flung pockets as well.

Every Fringe Festival draws Scots, Aussies, Germans, New Yorkers in abundance, the (old?) Folk Festival draws more Californians than Calgarians, and Crashed Ice, Tour of Alberta, the EITC and the World Cup Triathlon stop are all doing similarly, and likely to grow.

All your base is belong to us.

"I think we should hold pause on the self promotion front until 2020 or so. Wait until we really have something new to talk about in the visit/live file."

I see your point, but respectfully disagree. There's so much development happening that it seems ripe for the opportunity to encourage others to become part of it.

You don't advertise a new store after it's already open. You hang a big, splashy sign in front that says "COMING SOON" and get people excited to check it out!

C2E Long Term Contributor

on a somewhat related note
    https://twitter.com/SUNMattDykstra/s...39326310625280

Tory Minister @TimUppal announces $295,000 in funding to @EEDC to help expand/promote trade.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

^ Thanks for sharing. Has fed money been granted to EEDC in the past or is this an election year gift? If it has been previously allocated, what projects/investments can be attributed to it?

First One is Always Free

Today's funding was new money. It's targeted for tactical export and trade support for SMEs as opposed to promotional programs. We've received program dollars through DFAIT before that help with trade missions, in-market consultants, etc., so this is aligned to our general strategy for Fed/WD support.