Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windows 10 - privacy issue?

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by Kitlope View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
    What do you mean by "I run it in Windows 7 mode".
    If you right click on an desktop icon, go to properties and then compatibility you'll see the option to run it in many former Windows versions. It's amazing how some stubborn programs/games will work when changing to former versions, especially upon a new release for Windows when issues are a little more common.
    I didn't know this. Cool feature. Could this feature go back to Windows X?
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    If you right click on an desktop icon, go to properties and then compatibility you'll see the option to run it in many former Windows versions. It's amazing how some stubborn programs/games will work when changing to former versions, especially upon a new release for Windows when issues are a little more common.
    I didn't know this. Cool feature. Could this feature go back to Windows X?
    You can choose everything back until Windows 95. Nothing is guaranteed to work using this method, but it is an option to try for legacy software.

Yes, I'm familiar with running individual apps in different modes but Gemini seemed to be saying that he was running the entire operating system in windows 7 mode. I think he just meant he was seeing a desktop and start menu similar to windows 7.

I need to find a easy way to dual boot 2 pc's, on the same monitor so I can switch back and fourth between my Xp and Win10. Anyone have any suggestions on how to do this?

If you're using two PCs then you don't need dual boot. You could just switch the monitor plug from one PC to the next or if your want to get fancy buy a splitter that both your PCs plug into as well as your one monitor. This splitter will then have a switch to allow you to choose which PC you want to see on the monitor.

I have a old KVM switch (keyboard video mouse) packed away somewhere but my Lenova stick doesn't have a vga port. It pugs Into the back of my monitor's hdmi. That's if by a splitter you mean a KVM switch?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I need to find a easy way to dual boot 2 pc's, on the same monitor so I can switch back and fourth between my Xp and Win10. Anyone have any suggestions on how to do this?
    http://www.memoryexpress.com/Category/KVMSwitches

I have a old KVM switch (keyboard video mouse) packed away somewhere but my Lenova stick doesn't have a vga port. It pugs Into the back of my monitor's hdmi. That's if by a splitter you mean a KVM switch?
    Yes, like that but you'll obviously have to get something more modern.
    Last edited by Vincent; 13-05-2016 at 12:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    http://www.memoryexpress.com/Category/KVMSwitches
    ^^ Thanks Marcel but my Lenova pc stick doesn't have a vga port.

^ Seems that way Vincent, thanks. Looks like I'm going to have to go bluetooth on this

A few months old but interesting. Now you can't even trust the 'X'. Free upgrade is apparently ending soon.

How Microsoft's tricky new Windows 10 pop-up deceives you into upgrading
    Microsoft's new trick to coax users into upgrading to Windows 10 relies on changing behaviors the pop-up's instilled since December.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/30734...upgrading.html

Newer story:

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-36824687

They're so evil. Trying to give away free software. Pft! Those guys!

Give me a break. The recent changes make it easier for users to say "no thanks!".

"Since we introduced a new upgrade experience for Windows 10, we've received feedback that some of our valued customers found it confusing. We've been working hard to incorporate their feedback and this week, we'll roll out a new upgrade experience with clear options to upgrade now, schedule a time, or decline the free offer."

Terry Meyerson
    Executive Vice President Microsoft Windows Group

It's like a withdrawal from negative billing after pushback.

I use Windows 10 and quite like it. However, I can sure understand the considerable fear of "upgrading" that Microsoft has instilled in its users over the years. If they can literally give away a billion licenses, I have to wonder why they don't just say it's going to remain free and when it's most fearful, cautious, trepidatious (or learned) users eventually come around to feeling comfortable with upgrading, they won't be penalized.
    Last edited by KC; 19-07-2016 at 09:14 PM.

I went from Xp and bought a Lenova PC stick that came with Windows 10. Just leave Windows 10 upgrade open ended. All new windows computers will have it anyway. I like using Windows 10 as well, great OS. I don't see where there are any privacy concerns.

... I don't see where there are any privacy concerns.
    Seems that one way or another, everything about you is being collected by someone somewhere out there.

No limit on pin attempts is interesting.

Windows 10 personal data collection ruled 'excessive'
    Microsoft faces fines in France if it doesn't curb tracking of users' behaviour
    CBC News Posted: Jul 20, 2016

The agency alleges Microsoft is violating France's data privacy law by:

Using Windows 10 to track all the programs users install on their system and the amount of time they spend using each one.

Allowing users to set a relatively weak, four-digit PIN code to access online services, including online payment history, without capping the number of incorrect PIN attempts before someone is locked out of the account.

Targeting users with Microsoft and third-party advertising based on their browsing history, without prior user consent.

Tracking and targeting users with browser cookies without informing them or implementing an opt-out.

Transmitting personal information back to the United States, where Microsoft is headquartered, under the auspices of the EU-U.S. "safe harbour" agreement, despite a decision last October by the European Court of Justice ruling the agreement invalid.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/wi...tion-1.3687737
    From among the comments:

The truth about Windows 10 spying on almost everything you do

http://blog.emsisoft.com/2015/09/02/...ything-you-do/
    Last edited by KC; 21-07-2016 at 10:12 AM.

It's called telemetry data. That's how they know which features and apps people like and don't like. It helps to improve the product.

^ Completely ethical imo. I'd rather have ads targeted to my interest then topics I care little about.

Agreed.

Just got this email from MS. Sounds like they've added some nice new features for families.

^ Is this another one of their Windows essential's apps?

It's not an app. They're talking about a built in feature to help you control what your kids access online and what they download.

I now have Windows 10 due to the fact I had to buy a new laptop. I have been trying to download google chrome or at the least google toolbar but it will not let me.
    Telling me that another google chrome could be running and to close it (there is no google chrome running) and when trying to download google toolbar it says my computer does not support it. Totally confused at this point. Not to mention the email account. I'm used to Windows Live Mail. Can't seem to find it or is that something I have to download. Usually I can muddle through these things but I have a strong dislike for Windows 10 so my patience is running a bit thin.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

I don't think Windows Live Mail is available for Windows 10. The new email client is called simply "Mail". It's quite good. You should try it. It should be pinned to your start menu by default.

Not sure why you're having problems downloading Chrome or the toolbar though. I use Chrome on all my Windows 10 computers. Not sure why you need the toolbar though. What do you use that for?

When you bought the new Windows 10 laptop did you get a recovery disk, or is it like before you have to build one?

^No recovery disc although when you buy new computers or laptops they never did provide a recovery disk. What you have to do is do your own back up. My old laptop went kaput. It was acting up for a few months so I did a back up on my external device. I suppose you can still use a CD or thumb drive to do a back up though. It's recommended as if you have a lot of 'stuff' you don't want to loose you should do a recovery disk (thumb drive, external drive) back up now and again.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

I don't think Windows Live Mail is available for Windows 10. The new email client is called simply "Mail". It's quite good. You should try it. It should be pinned to your start menu by default.

Not sure why you're having problems downloading Chrome or the toolbar though. I use Chrome on all my Windows 10 computers. Not sure why you need the toolbar though. What do you use that for?
    I think part of my issue is that I like things to be the same. I am used to Windows Live mail and having a toolbar. At the moment I am trying to get my laptop to the way my old one was. Managed to download my google toolbar and got chrome downloaded although not sure if I will use it. Now I am trying to get rid of the Bing bar. Not versed in techy stuff but in time I will get it sorted. I am having problems at the moment changing the home page. It seems every time they change programs they put more obstacles in the way. I am using the 'Mail' but it seems to be very basic. I will have to start figuring out how to get my contacts downloaded into it. It does seem that Windows Live Mail may not be available in windows 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    ^No recovery disc although when you buy new computers or laptops they never did provide a recovery disk. What you have to do is do your own back up. My old laptop went kaput. It was acting up for a few months so I did a back up on my external device. I suppose you can still use a CD or thumb drive to do a back up though. It's recommended as if you have a lot of 'stuff' you don't want to loose you should do a recovery disk (thumb drive, external drive) back up now and again.
    That's a case for building a pc, I'm going to build one sometime next year and install Win 10 from there.

^I see. Are you going to build the p c yourself or give the specs to a business to do.

I think part of my issue is that I like things to be the same. I am used to Windows Live mail and having a toolbar. At the moment I am trying to get my laptop to the way my old one was. Managed to download my google toolbar and got chrome downloaded although not sure if I will use it. Now I am trying to get rid of the Bing bar. Not versed in techy stuff but in time I will get it sorted. I am having problems at the moment changing the home page. It seems every time they change programs they put more obstacles in the way. I am using the 'Mail' but it seems to be very basic. I will have to start figuring out how to get my contacts downloaded into it. It does seem that Windows Live Mail may not be available in windows 10.
    Things never stay the same.

Those search toolbars were handy back in the day when you couldn't just do a search straight from your address bar. Nowadays, they're pretty useless.

The mail app is pretty basic, so it depends on what features you want or need, but for most people it should be fine. I tried using it for a while but went back to Outlook. I can't remember for what reason, but that was when the app was still new and I think they've added features since then. In any case, it's free, so if you don't want to pay for an Office 365 subscription and use Outlook, free is a pretty good deal.

Contacts are saved in the cloud if you're logged in with a Microsoft account. When you first setup the PC, it must've prompted you to choose between using a Microsoft account and a local account. Did you use a Microsoft account or did you choose to use a local account?

If you used a local account then I'm not sure how it handles contacts, or how you would import them. I recommend using a Microsoft account so you'll never have this problem again. Buy a new computer, log in, and all your contacts are there. And your Microsoft account doesn't have to use a Microsoft email. You can use gmail or telus or shaw or whatever email address you want for your Microsoft account.

^The mail app is very generic. I did back up my old Windows Live Mail and I was wondering if I could just download that element of it. I did not set up a Microsoft account as I did not see the point. Why do you now have to open and account?. Previously it was just 'there'. I still like the old desktop format to. Usually put loads of shortcut icons on the desktop for easy access. People can be pretty picky about how they personalize their computers, what browsers they use etc. They like it the way they like it and set it up that way. Old habits die hard.
    Last edited by Gemini; 22-09-2016 at 02:35 PM.

There are a lot of advantages to using a Microsoft account. All your contacts are saved with your account, as well as all your emails and calendar items, and all your onedrive files. When you login to onedrive.com for example, you have access to all your emails and your contacts and you can edit all your documents online for free (no need to buy office).

Then when you log into any computer (phone, tablet, laptop, whatever) all your emails, contacts, files (including pictures), calendar appointments are immediately available. If you update a contact on one device, the data is automatically synchronized and available on all your devices.

Also, if you buy a new computer and sign in with your Microsoft account, the mail app is automatically set to retrieve your email (you don't have to worry about setting that up and typing in server names and port numbers etc.) and all your onedrive files are automatically synchronized to the computer and when you open a browser and navigate to outlook.com or onedrive.com or account.microsoft.com or office.microsoft.com (or any other microsoft site) you're automatically logged into those sites and can see your data (email, files, account history, etc.).

The old way, everytime you buy a new PC, you have to spend hours setting everything up and moving files and contacts and stuff from our old PC, which is at the very least a hassle, but if your old PC died and there's no way to access the data on the old PC, it's a disaster.

^ I did a backup of my old computer so I do have it on a external drive. Microsoft does sound like a good idea if you do a lot of business or use your computer for business reasons. My laptop is just basically personal use so not sure if I would want a Microsoft account but if it does all you say maybe I will think about it. It does seem like I am spending hours setting stuff up but I do feel I am getting somewhere.

^I see. Are you going to build the p c yourself or give the specs to a business to do.
    Most likely to Memory Express but that's about a year and a half away. I need gear first like a iPad pro, some Volca's, the OP-1 a mixer some monitors etc. Then maybe the PC. I'm in no hurry. My Lenova PC stick is ok for now.

There are a lot of advantages to using a Microsoft account. All your contacts are saved with your account, as well as all your emails and calendar items, and all your onedrive files. When you login to onedrive.com for example, you have access to all your emails and your contacts and you can edit all your documents online for free (no need to buy office).

Then when you log into any computer (phone, tablet, laptop, whatever) all your emails, contacts, files (including pictures), calendar appointments are immediately available. If you update a contact on one device, the data is automatically synchronized and available on all your devices.

Also, if you buy a new computer and sign in with your Microsoft account, the mail app is automatically set to retrieve your email (you don't have to worry about setting that up and typing in server names and port numbers etc.) and all your onedrive files are automatically synchronized to the computer and when you open a browser and navigate to outlook.com or onedrive.com or account.microsoft.com or office.microsoft.com (or any other microsoft site) you're automatically logged into those sites and can see your data (email, files, account history, etc.).

The old way, everytime you buy a new PC, you have to spend hours setting everything up and moving files and contacts and stuff from our old PC, which is at the very least a hassle, but if your old PC died and there's no way to access the data on the old PC, it's a disaster.
    We're going full circle back to the old mainframe/dumb terminal model.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Yup. Except this time we have colour monitors.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Yup. Except this time we have colour monitors.
    More a distributed model. The mainframe/dumb terminal model had all storage and computation done centrally with the terminal serving only to display the results. The current model has computation and storage (albeit not all) on your device with the cloud keeping data in sync across devices and doing some computation depending on the application.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

And what computation gets done where is one of the major differences behind iOS/macOS & Android/Windows. Apple favours any processing of identifiable & personal data to be done on the device with the services being primarily the syncing of encrypted data that even Apple can't get into versus Google & Microsoft who tend to favour doing much more of the processing service-side, to help tune & feed their machine learning & algorithms. Apple's done some neat work on "fuzzing" of data so it's valid enough for their purposes but no longer identifiable/personal data, but the other approach certainly has its benefits insofar as giving their services a much larger dataset much quicker, albeit at a much reduced level of user personal privacy.
    Last edited by noodle; 23-09-2016 at 10:25 AM.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

You're right Paul. It is quite different. It's mostly just synchronization of data via central storage we're using today.

I'm now wading through the Windows 10 system as I bought a new computer. I am having issues with script running time pop ups. I have un ticked the debugging features in Internet Options Advanced settings, apply and O.K. them, but it seems that each time I turn the computer of then back on they have defaulted back to the original settings. This is especially bad on the home page. I have read articles were it seems a lot of people are having the same problems. I also read that Windows was going to put out a major update fix at the end of October to address some of these issues. Another problem some people are having is that Windows 10 seems very slow. Another thing, I backed up my Windows 8 on my old laptop. If I downloaded Windows Live would it work in Windows 10? I'm not liking the mail system on Windows 10 but unsure how easy it would be to just install Live mail from the Windows web site.
    As for the privacy issues. I am going to get round to looking at those settings sometime soon. specially the setting where they use your bandwidth to upload updates onto other peoples computers.

Check out this article regarding Windows Live Mail in Windows 10. Looks like you might still be able to use it after all.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...f-f5f7e60a8786

Not sure what you mean by "script running time pop ups", but your reference to "Internet Options" makes it sound like you're using Internet Explorer. IE is being phased out, and it only exists for legacy applications but will be removed in a future update. The new default browser in Windows is Edge. Personally I still prefer to use Chrome so you might just want to download Chrome.

Oh, and Windows 10 is not slow. However, after a fresh install of Windows 10 it's probably installing / updating a bunch of stuff for you while you work so that could explain it.

^If you search 'script running time pop ups in Windows 10' you will get fully versed on the problem as it seems pretty prevalent in that program. My problem is mainly on the home page. I am using Windows Explorer and it's my default browser. Yesterday I downloaded Chrome but uninstalled it yesterday as well. When it comes to the way I have my laptop set up I am just a real stick in the mud and keep it the way it was from back in the day. Windows 10 does seem a bit faster today so you could be right about the downloads going on it as the laptop probably sat at Memory Express for a couple of months before I came along and bought it. Later I will check out the web site you sent and see about getting Live Mail back.

Oh, script error messages. Most browsers suppress those by default, as really only the developers care about them. If your browser is displaying script errors from websites then just go into your browser's options to disable that. In any case, script errors are not a problem with Windows 10, they're a problem with the website that's producing the error. If you didn't see these error messages before upgrading to Windows 10 then it's a browser setting that's changed.

Unless you specifically changed your default browser to "Internet Explorer" (not Windows Explorer) then your default browser is Edge. "Windows Explorer" is not a browser, but your local file explorer.

And if your home page is a problem on your browser, you can change which site is set as your home page. I believe the default home page in Edge is "www.msn.com" but you can change it to whatever you want.

Oops, I said Windows Explorer instead of Internet Explorer which I did specifically change from what Windows 10 had. Yes, the home page was msn.com but I changed it. I will do as you say and check out the browser setting later to see if I can get rid of the script error messages. The script error messages seem to happen when I go to newspaper web sites. Not sure if it has anything to do with all the ads and video content that come along with newspaper web sites but sometimes they take longer than normal to load.

Yes, it probably has a lot to do with that. Whenever sites embed content from other providers, not only do they have no control over the quality of the scripting but there's also the chance that the scripting from those plugins interferes with the scripting on their own site. Scripting errors are very common, which is why most browsers now suppress them. I know IE used to display a little warning icon in the status bar, but I'm not sure if it even does that anymore.

I don't ever recall having any problems with the previous operating systems. It seems Windows 10 needs to seriously look at the system and get patches to fix some of the wrinkles.

Talk about being stalked by Windows 10. Just made a few comments in the Climate Change thread then went to my Edmonton Journal page. What should be the banner running along the top of the page, an add about the provincial governments carbon levy rebate. Windows tracking each keystroke it seems.

There are always problems with certain configurations on certain machines whenever a new version of Windows comes out. It's just impossible to test the millions of possible combinations of hardware and software installed and the various configuration options for said software. I upgraded 4 of my machines and I had a problem on 1 of them. The other three machines were fine.

It's not major problems just annoying ones. I don't think I could handle upgrading four computers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12