Thread: Edmonton listed in Top 10 Underrated Destinations in Canada

C2E SME

Default Edmonton listed in Top 10 Underrated Destinations in Canada

"Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

I'm surprised they didn't include Hamilton... isn't that another city that often gets an "unfair" rap?

no, Hamilton deserves the wrap its gets. Have you ever been there? When I've gone, its exactly what I thought it would be based on what's said about it.

Good list. Good company. Will miss them soon.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    no, Hamilton deserves the wrap its gets. Have you ever been there? When I've gone, its exactly what I thought it would be based on what's said about it.
    Yeah, I've been there, it sucks. I thought this might be the "suck" list, I,e, "underrated". Sort of remember beachcombers from my childhood though... My point is, I'm not sure getting on this sort of list is a good thing as it just reinforces stereotypes of a city, even when the article is trying to overcome them by saying some nice stuff.
    Last edited by moahunter; 05-08-2015 at 10:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Yeah, I've been there, it sucks. I thought this might be the "suck" list, I,e, "underrated". Sort of remember beachcombers from my childhood though... My point is, I'm not sure getting on this sort of list is a good thing as it just reinforces stereotypes of a city, even when the article is trying to overcome them by saying some nice stuff.
    Right on, on the stereotype comment. People often see only what they've been told to see.

^, ^^

Haha reminds me of Lonely Planet entries that start with something like "Look past the [insert euphenisms for perceived negatives...], and you will find a city of...", but you've already stopped reading at this point because you've made up youur mind what the place is going to be like by the pre-qualification.

That said, of the communities listed that I've been to, they're all charming in their own way, but the one quality they have is they're all relatively remote from the population centres of the big three.