Thread: New threads, reviving old threads...

Default New threads, reviving old threads...

I've been using the Internet since the early 1990s and have found it very interesting how we've transitioned our old views into the new medium and resisted seeing the World Wide Web as potentially timeless (more like Wikipedia where the story is under constant revision and expansion). People often take offence to old threads being revived, as if only current events matter, or making the assumption that because they've read a posting, that everyone has read it, so it shouldn't be pushed in front of their eyes again. Interesting dynamics no matter what.

I thought this paragraph says it well...

"The news business is obsessed with moment. It’s not wrong, necessarily: Timeliness is as useful a way of determining relevance in the face of information overload as anything else. But something will always be breaking, and as new news keeps happening, so-called “old news” falls by the wayside. More often than not, “old news” tends to be complicated narratives that require focus and attention, while surface-level breaking news is flashy, and temporarily easy to absorb. This was true before the Internet, but the dopamine hit that comes with each swipe and refresh of a social-media news feed hasn’t helped." - Denise Balkissoon

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...ticle25645532/
    Last edited by KC; 08-08-2015 at 07:13 AM.

I have nothing against reviving old threads.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

Being older, and someone influenced by actual conversation, what gets me more than reviving old threads is how select peoples interpretation is of what is on topic in a thread and that every comment needs to be perfectly on topic with a thread and not deviate in anyway (otherwise start a new thread, as I'm told so often) when all that is wanted is to be able to discuss a topic with any reasonable degree of latitude and from a perspective that is discussion based and learned and with real discussion having an ebb, a flow, and some tangent.

Oh, whoops, I did it again..
    Last edited by Replacement; 08-08-2015 at 12:37 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

I'd rather C2E than work!

Personally I'd love to see many threads with similar (or the same) topics merged, to me it doesn't take too much time to look up to see if something already exists.

Quote Originally Posted by sundance View Post
    Personally I'd love to see many threads with similar (or the same) topics merged, to me it doesn't take too much time to look up to see if something already exists.
    Actually the search function here like most sites leaves a lot to be desired. I can rarely find a specific thread I am looking for that involves search terms that are the least bit generic. Plus one has to remember what the title was if doing a thread search. Topics tend to be hard to search and either bring up a lot, or no results.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Maybe I'm just more net savvy, but searching is easy here if you know how to do it, and when that fails, you can just search google against this site.

google search example query:
    high level bridge site:connect2edmonton.ca