Thread: City seeks family-friendly options for End of the World

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default City seeks family-friendly options for End of the World

City seeks family-friendly options for End of the World
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...orld-1.3202575

The scenic lookout over the North Saskatchewan River known as the "End of the World" could soon become more than a hangout for teens trying to escape adult supervision.

The city wants to develop a safer lookout on top of the old concrete pillars, which are all that's left of a retaining wall on the site at the end of Keillor Road.

The site is supposed to be off-limits to the public with signs warning not to trespass. But teens have been using it for years, much to the dismay of some nearby residents.
    The community is working with the city on a plan to make the site safer and to minimize disruption to nearby homes.
    A fence and a level viewing area would keep visitors from falling. Steps and pathways would improve access and reduce erosion on the bank.
    Members of the community are being asked to weigh in on the plan through a survey on the City of Edmonton website.

The survey closes Sept. 21. The city plans to make a decision on the design in October with construction scheduled in 2017, following an environmental review.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Make it a formal lookout.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Given that this is an unpredictable avalanche zone with much of the former concrete pillars already found collapsed and the zone is not stable and theres postings all over to that effect and hiliting the danger perhaps not a good idea to make it an "official" look out.

Another idea would be getting some dynamite or heavy machinery out and removing the rest of the eyesore concrete abutment that is left remaining.

Problem solved.
    Last edited by Replacement; 25-08-2015 at 07:55 AM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Let's destroy neat things!
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Hope the city has good liability insurance.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Given that this is an unpredictable avalanche zone with much of the former concrete pillars already found collapsed and the zone is not stable and theres postings all over to that effect and hiliting the danger perhaps not a good idea to make it an "official" look out.

Another idea would be getting some dynamite or heavy machinery out and removing the rest of the eyesore concrete abutment that is left remaining.

Problem solved.
    The process of making it an official lookout would address the safety concerns by building a proper platform. Given the popularity of the site for viewing the valley I think it's a good idea.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post

Problem solved.
    The process of making it an official lookout would address the safety concerns by building a proper platform. Given the popularity of the site for viewing the valley I think it's a good idea.
    From looking closely at that site, and underneath and around that site, and I've been in the area a lot, the cost of building a "proper platform" there would be difficult if not an exorbitant cost.

All of what remains is going down at sometime. Have you seen that avalanche zone? I wouldn't build anything there in that area.

Its not even a particularly great viewing area and I countless better viewing options can be found in the river valley.

This particular viewing area is popular primarily with teens/youth and largely due to it forbidden no trespassing advisory which is apparently attractive to Teens/youth. Theres nothing particularly special about that area otherwise and it wasn't a lookout point before.
    Last edited by Replacement; 25-08-2015 at 05:12 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...orld-1.3202575

It is a nice spot. I say develop it, make it safe. Let's make it a nice spot for all to visit. Take in the view, maybe eat lunch on a bench.
    Nice place for wedding photo's, photographers, grad photo's.
    Add the right lighting for evening and if people can see what is happening it may stop vandalism.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Why does everything have to be family friendly?
    It's a cool spot, leave it alone and let the kids enjoy it.
    As for the neighbors, too bad, the spot is halfway down the hill, the people in the area would have to be standing on the road in front of their houses to hear anything.
    People need to lighten up.

This particular viewing area is popular primarily with teens/youth and largely due to it forbidden no trespassing advisory which is apparently attractive to Teens/youth. Theres nothing particularly special about that area otherwise and it wasn't a lookout point before.
    exactly my thoughts. This isn't about giving everyone a view, it's about stopping people from trespassing by making it open to everyone.

Take a walk along Saskatchewan drive and see just how interested the city is in giving viewing spots/outlook areas. None maintained, none even offer a view anymore under the overgrowned trees and plants. And that is on the city's most prominent vantage.

Only when the city shows its capacity at maintaining its current viewing areas should it entertain the idea of building a new one.

Although I wouldnt be opposed if placing a sign is what the CoE considers a lookout , they even placed two signs here to let you know their placement was not a mistake

image from here

Alright CoE, I've designed what you consider to be lookouts. I'll expect a cheque in the mail

original image from here
    Last edited by Perspective; 25-08-2015 at 07:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ralph60 View Post
    Why does everything have to be family friendly?
    It's a cool spot, leave it alone and let the kids enjoy it.
    As for the neighbors, too bad, the spot is halfway down the hill, the people in the area would have to be standing on the road in front of their houses to hear anything.
    People need to lighten up.
    I agree. The place needs several drinking fountains.

One with Canadian
    One with Alley Kat
    One with Full Moon Pale Ale
    One with Pilsner...
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Hey, add End of the World to Purple City and the Disappearing Alley and you've got a few great teen memories.
    Back in my day it was all stubby bottles I think a drinking fountain may be pushing it.