Thread: $15M airport road project should aid traffic flow

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default $15M airport road project should aid traffic flow

$15M airport road project should aid traffic flow, eliminate bottlenecks

BY BILL MAH, EDMONTON JOURNAL

The Edmonton International Airport has started work on a $15-million road project to improve traffic flow, especially at a frequently bottlenecked highway off-ramp.

“We’re looking to do some significant upgrades to respond to increased traffic that we’re seeing and to prepare for things like the Outlet Collection development that’s underway as well,” said EIA director of communications Heather Hamilton.

The construction project, which started Wednesday, will take a year to finish.

One major traffic problem that airport officials hope to fix is the off-ramp from the southbound Queen Elizabeth II Highway that leads either east to Nisku or west to the airport.

“The first immediate and biggest benefit that people are going to appreciate is that, between here and December, we expect to put signals at the intersection of Highway 2 and Airport Road,” Hamilton said.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/busin...046/story.html
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

^yuck. That's gonna be a pain in the *** leaving the airport.

C2E Continued Contributor

Think you missed the point

Quote Originally Posted by DTrobotnik View Post
    Gets people parking at the airport there fast, but screw everyone else who is just doing a drop off, or picking someone up then heading home, arriving late for a business meeting, or arriving at EIA and the city for the first time etc?

Okay, gotcha.
    Last edited by etownboarder; 10-09-2015 at 07:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    $15M airport road project should aid traffic flow, eliminate bottlenecks

BY BILL MAH, EDMONTON JOURNAL

The Edmonton International Airport has started work on a $15-million road project to improve traffic flow, especially at a frequently bottlenecked highway off-ramp.

“We’re looking to do some significant upgrades to respond to increased traffic that we’re seeing and to prepare for things like the Outlet Collection development that’s underway as well,” said EIA director of communications Heather Hamilton.

The construction project, which started Wednesday, will take a year to finish.

One major traffic problem that airport officials hope to fix is the off-ramp from the southbound Queen Elizabeth II Highway that leads either east to Nisku or west to the airport.

“The first immediate and biggest benefit that people are going to appreciate is that, between here and December, we expect to put signals at the intersection of Highway 2 and Airport Road,” Hamilton said.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/busin...046/story.html
    How every small town of EIA, unless they leave room to do a eventual grade separated free-flow interchange to access the airport like the International airports in that southern neighbour of ours (the USA, not Calgary).

C2E Posting Power

^ Yes, agree it's very small town, shoe-string budgetish. The capacity of that at-grade crossing will be rapidly outgrown.

C2E Long Term Contributor

The main priority should be the terminal, not the outlet mall. I would hate to miss a flight because of every man and his dog traffic jamming the roads to get into the outlet mall.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I'd rather C2E than work!

My concern is the 1 lane freeflo road that veers off to the right toward the terminal...one accident and access is totally blocked for traffic on that road. But they are providing 2 lanes straight through to the shopping centre...like they haven't a clue about what the priority is. You would think 2-3 freeflo lanes would be provided to miss lights - and "move" traffic. Maybe the same brain trust Edmonton used for the metro line? We just fired the City Manager...maybe the airport CEO needs the boot at well?
    Last edited by EdmTrekker; 10-09-2015 at 10:54 PM.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Isn't the biggest problem at that corner people going to Nisku at rush hour? Doesn't this address that problem?

15 million dollar band-aid. Put that money towards a full reconfiguration of the interchange with a proper connection to QEII northbound. And like others have mentioned, the priority should be the airport, not the mall.
    Over the years they have added more and more traffic lights along the road to actually get to the airport, and it looks like this will add 2 more.

With the low oil prices, traffic seems to be fixing itself in the Nisku area.

Using this intersection everyday I would disagree that it's fixing itself.

Hang on a sec...are they naming a street after Reg Milley?

Quote Originally Posted by SP59 View Post
    Isn't the biggest problem at that corner people going to Nisku at rush hour? Doesn't this address that problem?
    That's what I thought, the issue is cars exiting, and turning left, and causing a block back down QEII exit. That block, then messes up people going to the airport. This seems to fix it. Not sure why people are complaining, in that, its being paid for by the airport, that's pretty good I think. The airport is resolving their issue, and they are easing the issue for people going to Nisku for work as well. I haven't often been a fan of YEG, but I like this.

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by Jofc View Post
    With the low oil prices, traffic seems to be fixing itself in the Nisku area.
    Even if it is fixing itself, that congestion relief will be temporary. Oil prices will eventually rebound, and so will traffic volumes into Nisku. We should be planning long-term, and executing that plan during a downturn when construction costs are more affordable.

Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
    My concern is the 1 lane freeflo road that veers off to the right toward the terminal...one accident and access is totally blocked for traffic on that road. ...
    According to the EIA map provided, access to the airport from Highway 2 southbound exit is also possible from a right turn at the lights Airport Road. So, access would apparently not be totally blocked from one accident. And, as has been mentioned, the root issue is traffic becoming backed up turning left (east) to go to Nisku, not with a single-lane ramp access to the airport.

While I'm generally in favour of providing a complete solution rather than piecemeal implementation, I think it's highly unlikely the airport's $15 million budget would be better spent as a donation to the province's (someday-in-the) future interchange revamping. Bottom line, a significant issue is remedied now for a relatively small price.

Anyone dreaming of free-flow access between Highway 2 and the terminal anytime soon, if ever, will likely be disappointed.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

A few comments from EIA on SSP (in bold):

Posted by cyeg66
    Swing and a miss!

Traffic lights only 150m off the QEII (when the queue can regularly reach 1-2 km's) does little to help. Way to cheap out. All they're doing is building an access to the future outlet stores. Cue golf clap.

We'll actually be pulling back the exit from QE2 by 300m to divide into five lanes.

Posted by LO 044
    The road improvement renderings look like something out of Photoshop. Does anyone know who the engineering firm was that came up with this configuration? Did EIA use an engineering firm or did they design this in-house somehow?

This is just an illustration we created based on the engineering renderings to make it look more user-friendly. Idea was to give people a rough idea of what the finished work will look like. It's by no means to scale or completely accurate.

Posted by Hallsy's Toupee
    That new EIA road plan is really half-baked. It seems to prioritize access to the outlet mall over access to the airport itself. If I miss a flight because every man and his dog are jamming the roads to shop at a Bass Pro shop then I'd be mighty ******.

We know an EIA rep posts here - please reconsider this plan.

A significant part of the plan is to make traffic safer. There are a lot of vehicles heading to Nisku that travel down Airport Road and u-turn at the 7-11. With the double left lanes to Nisku, we should eliminate all that traffic, reducing the amount of vehicles using Airport Road that aren't going to the terminal.

Posted by EdmTrekker
    My concern is the 1 lane road that veers off to the terminal...one accident and access is totally blocked for traffic on that road. But they are providing 2 lanes straight through to the shopping centre...like they haven't a clue about what the priority is. Maybe the same brain trust Edmonton used for the metro line? We just fired the City Manager...maybe the airport CEO needs the boot at well?

There currently is only ONE lane that goes to the terminal. In the new plan, there is a SECOND right-turning lane at the intersection of Airport Road and the QE2 exit. It is a straight/right lane where travellers who might have missed the exit (or if there is a MVC on the exit) can turn towards the terminal.
    Last edited by Hilman; 11-09-2015 at 09:55 AM.

I'd rather see a flyover from the airport to NB QE2, traffic into Nisku is a nightmare in the morning rush hour and has been for the past 5 years, traffic into Nisku in the afternoon rush hour is starting to get bad.

But things will get better now that the 50th Street flyover is now opened (it was closed for basically 2 years) and 41st Avenue SW interchange will give more access into Nisku.

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    Gets people parking at the airport there fast, but screw everyone else who is just doing a drop off, or picking someone up then heading home, arriving late for a business meeting, or arriving at EIA and the city for the first time etc?

Okay, gotcha.
    wow you're negative. good thing you have all that user data to back that up with... oh wait nothing's built yet, damn, can you take me in your time machine when you visit the future next time?? pleaaaasseeee?????

Will this help solve the problem of this stretch of road being the ugliest airport entrance on earth?

I can only dream of having a DFW esque grand entrance to our airport...
    be offended! figure out why later...

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Driving the back roads and checking things out I noticed a beautiful 4 lane highway being built on the east side of Nisku from Edmontons 91st. This will cut traffic into Nisku from the QE2 in half once completed. It will encircle Nisku and the east side of Leduc around to Southfork at Hwy 2A. This will be super handy . This Nisku Spine Road will also take traffic at the 41ave sw overpass into Nisku.

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    This Nisku Spine Road will also take traffic at the 41ave sw overpass into Nisku.
    The spine road will help alleviate the Hwy 625 exit traffic off of QE2 but I doubt it will impact the Airport Road exit traffic very much.

I would like to see 2 free flowing lanes immediately off the QE2 passing under the airport perimeter road with the lights to the the terminal. As direct a route as possible...everything than can be done to reduce any delay in arrival to the Terminal Building SHOULD be done. This would be for passengers being dropped off by family or taxi or buses, shuttles. Traffic to rental returns could be a different lane - with all other traffic. So in reality I am asking for express lanes to the Terminal.

With proper planning it should be a no brainer to build express lanes to the Terminal Building. Maybe its time that Leadership at EIA were sacked and new people brought in if all we are getting is 3rd rate solutions (say good bye to the City Manager for the LRT and traffic backlog fiasco). In the first instance fast access to the Terminal should be highest priority...and it can be express lanes with little effort - that is WHAT I PAY IMPROVEMENT FEES FOR...USE THEM!!!. I know the current project states they are not being used - so design a proper road with underpasses /overpass express lanes to the Terminal Building and USE THEM.

Quote Originally Posted by richardW View Post
    Will this help solve the problem of this stretch of road being the ugliest airport entrance on earth?
    Oh, don't be so sure on that one. You ever drive in to YYC?

I personally go to and from the airport a dozen times a year....
    right now it takes about 2 minutes to get from the off-ramp from QEII to the departures drop off area. This new proposal might push me to 3 minutes due to that additional traffic signal.
    If they instead built an express lane directly to departures area, it would probably take about 1 minute from the off-ramp. You're not saving much time...considering that you're supposed to be at the airport at least an hour in advance, those 2 minutes saved by having an expressway to the terminal won't help.

The major unknown is what traffic impacts the outlet collection will bring - if traffic from the oulet mall spills onto QEII, then yes, your travel to the terminal will be affected.

The EIA masterplan has interchanges, but until the demand comes, they will not be built.
    Last edited by B.ike; 11-09-2015 at 03:18 PM.

Volume increase? To what? Whats the magic number?? Same number that was used at YYC, YVR? But of course those roadways were built when they had YEG current volumes. Why would we not build now when we need construction activity to stimulate the economy and employ workers and $ can be borrowed at low rates?

^^B.ike please try and be negative when posting on this topic.

Do people expect rush hour traffic to an outlet mall?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    This Nisku Spine Road will also take traffic at the 41ave sw overpass into Nisku.
    The spine road will help alleviate the Hwy 625 exit traffic off of QE2 but I doubt it will impact the Airport Road exit traffic very much.
    This fall it will be done up to twp rd 510, next year to 625 and the following year to airpor road

I see many have become transportation engineers here. Anyways, this isn't the 'ultimate' roadway configuration and current volumes don't warrant anything further.

The ultimate roadway configuration can be seen on about page 129 of this http://corporate.flyeia.com/sites/de...2035_part2.pdf (26 mb - takes a bit to load).

(not a transportation engineer, but have fond interesting in transporation as a side hobby... does that preclude me from commenting high-&-mighty sir? When did C2E become such a restricted confine where only actual engineers or those in the 'biz can debate things?)
    Last edited by Medwards; 14-09-2015 at 10:11 PM.
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Addicted to C2E

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
    I see many have become transportation engineers here. Anyways, this isn't the 'ultimate' roadway configuration and current volumes don't warrant anything further.
    Engineers/Planners also engineered/planned the South Edmonton Common roadway system. I'm sure volumes there didn't "warrant" anything better than what we have today. I believe most people's points are valid or at least worth a discussion. There are good and bad engineers as well, ask the North LRT team how their engineering is going.
    Last edited by LO 044; 15-09-2015 at 08:41 AM.

I flew out yesterday and the long curved white stacked stone entrance feature wall was up, and returning tonight I see that it's being demolished. Too bad, I really liked it. Too bad it was a wasteful expense.

http://storage.torontosun.com/v1/dyn...y=80&size=650x
    Last edited by KC; 15-09-2015 at 11:05 PM.

^its been there 15 years now. Paid for itself. Now we will get a new sign somewhere.

^It's not perhaps the cost as much as it is just a wasteful exercise in the building of it/materials wasted etc... We build things way too temporarily here, 15 years isn't much, and it was hardly in poor shape. C'est la vie I guess

^its been there 15 years now. Paid for itself. Now we will get a new sign somewhere.
    Was it actually already 15 years?

Anyway, I can't see how it could have come close to paying for itself. If the airport people knew it would only have had a 15 yr lifespan I'm sure it would never have gone up. It's not like signage for a restaurant or business that potentially profits significantly from marginal customer traffic increases. Most people going to the airport knew exactly where it was well before encountering the signage. This sign was mostly about brand enhancement (aka image) and beautification.

^that sign, at the time of construction 15ish years ago, cost maybe $250,000 with the electrical? I'm sure the branding and marketing value for the sign was worth more than that... So yes, it paid for itself.

^that sign, at the time of construction 15ish years ago, cost maybe $250,000 with the electrical? I'm sure the branding and marketing value for the sign was worth more than that... So yes, it paid for itself.
    I could only find a single photo of it via a Google search if the airport entrance.

Anyway, it doesn't matter much beyond my view that our planning and thinking suffers from far too short a horizon.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

I was just at the Winnipeg airport last weekend. As i tend to do wherever i go i take note of the facilities/infrastructure in comparison to what we have at YEG. Winnipeg is a newer terminal but i took particular note with the roadway leading into the airport. Granted, their airport is much more integrated into the city but i though the aesthetics really stood out in comparison to ours. Things like curbing and landscaping being the obvious ones.

I get we are undergoing roadwork at the moment, and hopefully we will get a new sign/feature to greet those coming to and from our airport once this roadwork is complete.

One last thought was surrounding the arrivals pickup area. Obviously personal opinion but it just has a bit of a drab feeling to it, clearly it's not of the highest priority but the red canopies and the rendezvous sign for example just feel a bit dated.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    The ultimate roadway configuration can be seen on about page 129 of this http://corporate.flyeia.com/sites/de...2035_part2.pdf (26 mb - takes a bit to load).
    The document is only 117 pages, the actual proposed ultimate plan is on page 96, FYI if you add #page=xx you can direct someone to a specific page in a PDF document, however it will still be 26 Mb in size
    http://corporate.flyeia.com/sites/de...t2.pdf#page=96

South Beverly Heights in a small house with a large lot!!

Okay, gotcha.
    Concur!!!!!!
    Make the RIGHT choice before you take your last breath......