Thread: Wind Mobile

Default Wind Mobile

Hi there,

I'm thinking about switching from Rogers to Wind, but I'm needing more information.

I keep hearing that reception is not very good, but their data speeds are pretty decent.

I've seen what they offer for plans, and I'm thinking that if it's too good to be true, it probably is.

For those on Wind in Edmonton, how do you like it so far?

Thanks.

C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

I like it a lot but then I don't use my phone (Nexus 5) for gaming or anything else that requires real speed. I like that I don't have to worry about overusing data which is easy even for people who read more than watch. For a comparison I use Telus pay as you go for my iPad and even though the thing rarely leaves my book bag it seems to use $20 of data some months.

I took it to Winnipeg for a visit. That's outside of its range but even so I never got extra charges even though I used the GPS a lot while there.

Reception for data can be a bit spotty but I have never missed a call and those are clear enough except in the LRT tunnels.

But the big attraction is that I have a phone that never costs me more than $39/month.

Don't do it! I switched from rogers to wind and only lasted a week. Horrible reception, even in the middle of the city. I'm now with Bell.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I had it for quite a few months but we switched back to TELUS. My wife's phone did not work at all at her work (Cross Cancer) and was spotty on the LRT line from Belvedere to the tunnel. I had slow download speeds 2-3 Mbps on a good day and usually had 0.05 Mbps for uploads, emailing a few pics took 10-15 min. Our phones didn't work at the football games nor at K-Days, frustrating to say the least. The final straw for me was it not working most of the time when we went to the airshow.

What I did like, the price, "unlimited" data for streaming music and the $15 per month US add on for data/texts/calling.

I have been in places the Wind Network plain didn't work (Commonwealth Stadium and IKEA) but you can still call on Telus' network (no roaming data on my plan.) Luckily it works fined for me in my home, my work (crucial) and all the places I go.

Having the unlimited data has been a godsend, and I've only experienced the speed throttling once of the six or seven months I've gone over the 5 Gig limit. I also don't need LTE speeds (I don't stream live video, but I do watch a lot of YouTube and sports highlights on it.)

I think it will depend first on the specific locations you find yourself in as you can see experience seems to vary; and second if or not you 'need' LTE. Luckily for me it's perfect and I simply balk at paying double for anything else, but that's a very specific case.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

I had it for nearly 2 years and had to give up on it. Terrible reception and crazy slow data. I picked up a Koodoo plan that gives unlimited talk/text and 1gb data for $40, zero regrets. Wind needs to roll out LTE on better spectrum or go bust. Their frequency doesn't penetrate buildings at all, it's really bad.

It looks like they made a whopping 4 tower upgrades in Edmonton this year, up from 0 in 2014.
    windmobilecanada.tumblr.com
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Have family members who have gone with Koodo and are quite happy.

Default Wind Mobile

As someone who has used Wind Mobile for several years, I am generally happy. Yes, the coverage isn't perfect but if that is the most important thing to you then you probably need to pay more. I find I can generally live with the the occasional problems (which usually do not last that long). I travel throughout the city and haven't noticed any area that has particularly bad coverage. It seems to work well at work for me (downtown) and at home (southside) and in between. My observation is the coverage has improved a lot in the last year. Of course, they also provide you a lot more data use than most other carriers. You could easily save $50/mo.

The worst problem I find is the signal does not penetrate all buildings well. There are certain spots in my home I do not get a signal and my home is not huge. Fortunately, it does work well in most spots in my home and I know which spots are good and which are bad it is not a huge convenience. If I can see a window from where I am it generally is ok.

The other thing I think is worth mentioning, is that full Wind coverage in Alberta is generally limited to the Edmonton and Calgary areas. You can get coverage outside the cities (Wind Away Zones) and the signal is fine, but there is an extra per minute charge for that. If you are like me and do not travel out of town a lot, that is not a big problem, but if you travel out of town a lot it may not be good.

I hope these comments are helpful.

I completely agree with Dave's comments. If you want to see coverage check out this site:

http://www.coveragemapper.com/map.php?mccmnc=302490

I wouldnt recommend them for everyone depending on your location(s) and how reliable you need it to be.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Locations (plural) is the key word here. If you spend all your time in the city then Wind is OK. But you often travel out in the sticks and don't want to risk losing cellular connectivity - if, say, your car breaks down in the middle of nowhere - then stick with Telus.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Default Wind Mobile

Just to clarify, I wouldn't worry too much about having a car breakdown outside the city. In the Wind Away Zone, it still works and you still have coverage - it just goes through another carrier (in some cases it may actually be Telus). I have used Wind several times outside of Edmonton/Calgary.

However, if I was travelling outside of Edmonton frequently and needing to use my cell phone a lot while out of town it wouldn't make sense to use Wind because of the extra charges for the Wind Away Zone.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ technically true but I have been driving in places like Ardrossan and Villeneuve and got no service on WIND, I found it was hit or miss when roaming.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Wind is the reason why I don't like due to poor area coverage, so I would rather stick with bell which I'm using for about 10 yrs now
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Just to clarify, I wouldn't worry too much about having a car breakdown outside the city. In the Wind Away Zone, it still works and you still have coverage - it just goes through another carrier (in some cases it may actually be Telus). I have used Wind several times outside of Edmonton/Calgary.

However, if I was travelling outside of Edmonton frequently and needing to use my cell phone a lot while out of town it wouldn't make sense to use Wind because of the extra charges for the Wind Away Zone.
    Another reason why I switched. Roaming data wasn't super terrible if you kept it to a minimum, but too much data and even basic texting could rip you a new one fast.

Watch for a sale from one of the big 3's discount carriers. My Koodo $40 plan is great, but it's regular $65.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Default Wind Mobile

How much data does the $40? Koodo plan allow? I find Wind is good if you use more than a bit of data (and it seems so easy for me to go over 1 or 2 GB even though I mostly just browse and read on line - very little video), but most of the other carriers charge extra for that, so the $40 could easily become $60 or $80.

I did initially find using the Wind Away Zone a bit tricky. For some reason it doesn't seem to search for available networks automatically. I have to manually search, it takes a few minutes and then you have to select the network to use. That is probably why it said no service in Ardrossan or Villeneuve. I have been more than 100 km out of Edmonton and have been able to use Wind Away Zone, but there are a few steps to go through to get it to work.

C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

^ That's why I first got signed up with Wind. At the time, I needed a data stick for my netbook. I was using Rogers pay as you go, but got tired of having to monitor the thing. Wind let me do my studies without having to worry about overages.

It still amazes me how much the regular networks charge for data.

highlander

My phone (motoG) a bit buggy getting away coverage. I have, at times, disabled data roaming and then it didn't want to turn it back on. Recently, though, I haven't had any problems, and I've used it in Jasper, Banff, Fort Mac and on the highway up to Swan hills. I have the $44 plan that gets me a $10 add on, that covers $10 of roaming, or, if I'm not going anywhere for the month, that's an extra 5GB of data.

Roaming prices are actually pretty decent. $0.05/MB/minute/text, I think it is. Apparently it was much worse until recently, but there's new rules about how much one carrier can charge another (it's not equal to their own customers' highest rate) and wind doesn't add to it.

On my Passport, the roaming switches automatically (for calling) but I didn't ask for roaming data - can only use data in the big cities.

Was out at the airport today, reception and data speed were excellent. Best speed I've gotten. (Not many flying Wind users? ha ha.)

How much data does the $40? Koodo plan allow? I find Wind is good if you use more than a bit of data (and it seems so easy for me to go over 1 or 2 GB even though I mostly just browse and read on line - very little video), but most of the other carriers charge extra for that, so the $40 could easily become $60 or $80.

I did initially find using the Wind Away Zone a bit tricky. For some reason it doesn't seem to search for available networks automatically. I have to manually search, it takes a few minutes and then you have to select the network to use. That is probably why it said no service in Ardrossan or Villeneuve. I have been more than 100 km out of Edmonton and have been able to use Wind Away Zone, but there are a few steps to go through to get it to work.
    I got Wind because I expected to be a data hog, but I found that I barely use it while on the grid. It's 95% wifi, which can be found almost everywhere. I don't stream music or youtube on the road, which are the biggest hogs.

That said, I work from home with constant access to wifi so I may not be a typical user.

As someone who has used Wind Mobile for several years, I am generally happy. Yes, the coverage isn't perfect but if that is the most important thing to you then you probably need to pay more. I find I can generally live with the the occasional problems (which usually do not last that long). I travel throughout the city and haven't noticed any area that has particularly bad coverage. It seems to work well at work for me (downtown) and at home (southside) and in between. My observation is the coverage has improved a lot in the last year. Of course, they also provide you a lot more data use than most other carriers. You could easily save $50/mo.

The worst problem I find is the signal does not penetrate all buildings well. There are certain spots in my home I do not get a signal and my home is not huge. Fortunately, it does work well in most spots in my home and I know which spots are good and which are bad it is not a huge convenience. If I can see a window from where I am it generally is ok.

The other thing I think is worth mentioning, is that full Wind coverage in Alberta is generally limited to the Edmonton and Calgary areas. You can get coverage outside the cities (Wind Away Zones) and the signal is fine, but there is an extra per minute charge for that. If you are like me and do not travel out of town a lot, that is not a big problem, but if you travel out of town a lot it may not be good.

I hope these comments are helpful.
    I've been with them for 4 years and what you say is exactly right.
    I sometimes get dead spots or roaming in some buildings, but nothing that last long.

I'm not a big cell phone user for games or apps, I use it for calls, text and occasionally go online.

I'm currently on their $39 plan which they are offering for a limited time and is a great deal.

My warning is, if you do lots of traveling outside of Edmonton coverage zone, it's probably not worth getting as you will be charged for roaming. Also check out their website for their coverage, as I have heard of some people in newer suburbs not have local coverage and only roaming.

Overall I'm happy with Wind. Before them I was with Telus for over 15 years and paying on average of $60 for my plans. Wind isn't for everyone though.
    Edmonton ~ It may not be perfect, but it's home~

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Bell crowned Canada’s fastest network by annual PC Mag report
    speedtest

Ian Hardy
    September 30, 2015

According to PCMag, the fastest wireless network in Canada “is clearly Bell.”

In its third iteration of testing Canadian wireless speeds across Canada, PC Mag‘s Sascha Segan trekked across our fine land to test data speeds and determine which Canadian carrier is king. Last year saw a tie between Bell and Rogers, but this time around Bell was crowned champion.

The tests were completed by using both Android and iOS devices with Ookla’s Speedtest.net app between June 1st and September 14th. The carrier tested were “Bell, Eastlink, Ice Wireless, MTS, Rogers, SaskTel, TBayTel, Telus, and Videotron in their home coverage areas only,” but “ignored any roaming results, as well as results from Fido, Koodo, and Virgin.” That said, PCMag notes that the sub-brands “performed similarly to their parent companies.”

It should be noted that this report only tested data speeds and not details such as reliability, call quality, or text delivery. In addition, the report was filtered to only show results Category 4 or higher LTE devices only (which are capable of download speeds of 150Mbps).
    http://mobilesyrup.com/2015/09/30/pc...ampaign=buffer

As I've stated: if you use mobile data, Wind is not for you.

I couldn't even text pictures most of the time. Could. Not. Text. Pictures.

Minor update:

I don't often use Wind data on my phone, as I have WiFi at work, home, and in the LRT stations etc, but lately when I do, noticing consistently considerably faster data than before. Don't know if Shaw has done anything in hardware with their new acquisition, but it's still saying "4g", not "LTE" yet.

Also paradoxically had a few times in the last month where I've missed calls and not been able to place calls myself. That didn't happen before, and I regard as a much more serious issue. Will see if it continues.

highlander

Seems faster to me too. No lag for streaming video, most of the time. I do notice that data is much slower at work near downtown during the day, they might not have enough bandwidth for their customers. It's not an issue because that only happens when I forget to turn on wifi, but still.

Got phone reception at IKEA today. Also new.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
    Minor update:

I don't often use Wind data on my phone, as I have WiFi at work, home, and in the LRT stations etc, but lately when I do, noticing consistently considerably faster data than before. Don't know if Shaw has done anything in hardware with their new acquisition, but it's still saying "4g", not "LTE" yet.

Also paradoxically had a few times in the last month where I've missed calls and not been able to place calls myself. That didn't happen before, and I regard as a much more serious issue. Will see if it continues.
    LTE is just slightly faster than 4g but my phone is using LTE advance.
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks