Thread: Looking for specific pics from 1980-1999

Default Looking for specific pics from 1980-1999

Hello everyone,

Totally new here, I'm 30 years old. Born and raised Northside. I have lived in 4 different houses, all north of 153rd ave but south of 167th ave ( weird never noticed that until now...) from 89th street to 55th street. My whole life!!

So I am very fond of where I grew up. I know Northside gets a bad reputation and for good reason!!!! Just kidding.

I wish I had pictures of old stores and shops around Edmonton. Places like,

Arcades - Laser Illusions
    Wizards Castle, Bullwinkle's

Toy Stores - Toys N Wheels,
    Hans Christian Anderson's

Londonderry Mall (before the renovation) Woolco

Northwood Mall ( yes Northwood before it became northgate) they had the wonderful food court with the circus theme. Woodwords

West Edmonton Mall when Bourbon Street was awesome in the New Orleans theme

Or any other pictures in these themes from the 80s-90s would be great.

I understand this is a long shot to find any of these on here but I am desperate. I have contacted Mall's asking for any kind of pictures and get no replies.

Funny to think we'd need pictures of those places that we grew up. Nostalgia, thy name is tacky.

Wizards Castle. Man. None of us who hung out there had a camera, did they?
    Let's make Edmonton better.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
    Funny to think we'd need pictures of those places that we grew up. Nostalgia, thy name is tacky.

Thank you for your insightful and intelligent replies, I have looked at the archives website before but found nothing useful. Maybe I have to go down there in person?
    Last edited by killerkobra; 23-09-2015 at 01:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by killerkobra View Post

Northwood Mall ( yes Northwood before it became northgate) they had the wonderful food court with the circus theme. Woodwords

Before it was butchered and the Zellers added northwood mall was Northgate, when it only had a Woodwards gorcery store and department sotre with a few shops in between this of course dates back to the 60's and 70's but It was orignally Woodwards, Southgate was similar, but the 80'sbrought with it expansion and not for the better
    Excellence is a continual Journey up a staircase where there is NO top step...

Thank you for your insightful and intelligent replies, I have looked at the archives website before but found nothing useful. Maybe I have to go down there in person?
    I think going down to the archives would be better. They will be able to find what you want faster and maybe be able to offer you more info than you expect.
    I have conversed with the worst kind of hectoring, bully pulpit smart-a**e*; dripping with virtuous self-aggrandizing sanctimony.................. and that's just on this forum.

I grew up in that area, mostly in the late 70's and early 80's, and had a memorable time there too. If I remember correctly, the mall across from Northgate, North Town, had K-Mart, London Drugs, an arcade, and a record shop at one time. I'm also looking for photos of that time/place as well. I was into photography/super 8 in those day, but didn't bother taking snapshots of the neighborhood.

I did find a guy on Flickr who has a photo collection of malls from Edmonton as well as other cities.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/darrellinyvr/albums/page1

I'd rather C2E than work!

London Drugs is still in North Town. There used to be a McDonald's I think it was part of the London Drugs property. Anyone know?
    Last edited by envaneo; 24-09-2015 at 01:43 AM.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Yes, it was near 93rd street wasn't it? My brother had his first job there and then spent his earnings at the arcade.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

What's tacky about wanting to look at old photos? I've looked for pictures of the old, pre-renovation Southgate Mall, just because I like the way it looked before they went into "Town Centre" mode.

And there are a few threads here promoting You Tube videos of old K-Days parades etc. I guess that's all just tacky too?

I do agree that the average denizen of Wizard's Castle wasn't likely to be taking photos, but you never know. Someone might have captured the exterior when photographing something else in the mall.

Hey man, this is my coming of age we're talking, i'll call it how I saw it, thanks.

Although I will say, that when I say 'tacky', I mean it in the warm, legitimate way.

Quote Originally Posted by overoceans View Post

What's tacky about wanting to look at old photos? I've looked for pictures of the old, pre-renovation Southgate Mall, just because I like the way it looked before they went into "Town Centre" mode.

And there are a few threads here promoting You Tube videos of old K-Days parades etc. I guess that's all just tacky too?

I do agree that the average denizen of Wizard's Castle wasn't likely to be taking photos, but you never know. Someone might have captured the exterior when photographing something else in the mall.
    Yeah, nostalgia knows no bounds and theres nothing wrong with that. Really probably most of our memories of youth could involve things that are considered tacky bullwinkles things but kids are not likely to have fine dining memories of "Waldens"

This doesn't invalidate the memory in anyway and shouldn't.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Rose colored glasses. We're all sometimes guilty.

Quote Originally Posted by wayneskichuck View Post
    I grew up in that area, mostly in the late 70's and early 80's, and had a memorable time there too. If I remember correctly, the mall across from Northgate, North Town, had K-Mart, London Drugs, an arcade, and a record shop at one time. I'm also looking for photos of that time/place as well. I was into photography/super 8 in those day, but didn't bother taking snapshots of the neighborhood.

I did find a guy on Flickr who has a photo collection of malls from Edmonton as well as other cities.

Thanks for the link but I am well aware of that flickr album. Very cool to see some of the pics.

I dunno. I've been to the archives, they're fantastic, and have multiple museums within the armouries actually, you should go regardless, but I think I'd be surprised to see thee things you're looking for. As I tried to (lightheartedly) allude, the people who had cameras and the people like us who hung out there didn't seem to be the same people.

By the by, when you say Wizard's Castle, do you mean when it was strictly a video game arcade? Or did you see its earlier days as maybe the first place in the City with rubber masks, models and D&D stuff?

Bumping this thread in the hopes of finding pictures. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wayneskichuck View Post

Thanks for the link but I am well aware of that flickr album. Very cool to see some of the pics.
    I follow that guy on flickr but lately he has been posting lots of naked selfies :O