Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new Edmonton Journal format

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default new Edmonton Journal format

What do you guys think?
    Some people have mocked it for the NDP colors!
    Overall it's an improvement, but I think the front page is a bit cluttered.
    The left side menu is very nice.
    They finally got rid of the multipaging of the articles, which I found greatly annoying.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E SME

Can I still hit escape in internet explorer to avoid the paywall? That's really the only big concern for me! I did notice that within Cult of Hockey, there is no longer links at the bottom to go to the next or previous article, which is mildly annoying.

The mobile version is infinitely better, which was of far larger significance to me. I find the desktop homepage cluttered.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Can I still hit escape in internet explorer to avoid the paywall? ...
    SHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhh-ud-uuuuup.

It's about time. The Herald and Gazette have been updated for months.

The funnier thing is that today's Sun announces that it is moving its editorial offices into the Edmonton Journal building. (!!)

Both are Postmedia papers after all.

^Wonder if both newspapers get printed at the same plant.

I'm liking the Journals new on line format.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Looks much better, nicely done.

They are running a Breaking News banner which is a new feature.
    Unfortunately the news is not what we wanted to hear.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...138/story.html

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Can I still hit escape in internet explorer to avoid the paywall? That's really the only big concern for me!
    Hint: clear browser cache and cookies
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by AShetsen View Post
    The funnier thing is that today's Sun announces that it is moving its editorial offices into the Edmonton Journal building. (!!)

Both are Postmedia papers after all.
    Are any layoffs coming out of that?
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Well with my browser at work and their security settings I cannot see the new format. Still get headlines and the article in a list type http format.

Just a comment from the luddite gallery: The font in the print edition is too small now but I like the new line length.

Layout and look are much better. Moving around with my ad blocker turned off I didn't see any sign of the loud annoying auto-play ad that was running on the all post media sites a few months back. Where they have video stories they are auto-playing with an ad you can't stop with the the small favour of having it muted. For me auto-plays of any sort will make me actively avoid your site. One navigation oddity is you have to look under the Local menu to find National and World news.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

C2E Hard Core Contributor

The new design of the print edition leaves me cold. I don't like that they've further reduced the font size. Ill-advised since most of the remaining print subscribers are oldies like me.

But my biggest surprise (and shock) is that the print edition seems to have morphed into the National Post. Several of the sections (including all international and national news and much of the commentary) are straight out of that right wing rag.

For me, leafing through the print edition has been one of my morning rituals for decades. For the first time in my life, I'm seriously thinking of switching to a digital only subscription.

Quote Originally Posted by East McCauley View Post
    The new design of the print edition leaves me cold. I don't like that they've further reduced the font size. Ill-advised since most of the remaining print subscribers are oldies like me.

But my biggest surprise (and shock) is that the print edition seems to have morphed into the National Post. Several of the sections (including all international and national news and much of the commentary) are straight out of that right wing rag.

For me, leafing through the print edition has been one of my morning rituals for decades. For the first time in my life, I'm seriously thinking of switching to a digital only subscription.
    They're all owned by Post Media. Not a surprise they're saving money by using the same content.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
    They're all owned by Post Media. Not a surprise they're saving money by using the same content.
    Same format to, I noticed herald changed to this one about 3 or 4 months ago. Newspapers are struggling to survive, they don't have much choice anymore re keeping staff lean and filling pages with fluff from networks / reuters or similar.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

I stopped reading the Journal a couple years ago when they stopped being journalists and became social media bloggers.

The site is meh. Nothing earth shattering. The content is still Twitter esque. Call me when they start being news people and stop retweeting.
    Tired of being taken advantage of .

^I remember reading once somewhere, that the hockey journalists got quite a shock when the cult of hockey blog part of the journal, started producing better readership than the regular pages. Its interseting now, readership doesn't really follow the paper or the blog so much, as the blogger. In some ways, the internet has democratized news - good journalists can likely make more than ever on their own (I guess the old "freelance" folks), but the 9-5 ones who just put in a days work to fill up some pages, no longer have much use.
    Last edited by moahunter; 16-09-2015 at 03:10 PM.

Sigh. Went to read Paula Simons' column today and encountered autoplaying video. Added their video service to the blocker. I really hate doing that.

Do not like, but need to get more familiar with it.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

As a subscriber for a number of years, I have mixed feelings about the new format. Like most of their readers, I don't get the newspaper because the colours look nice or the columnists tweet - I am more interested in news content.

I am not a big fan of all the orange. Perhaps this is too cynical, but I wonder if they are somehow trying to suck up to the new provincial government after running those editorials supporting the PC's in the last election. However, unless their coverage become less right wing that is like putting lipstick on a pig - it wont fool anyone.

I actually find the new font easier to read and crisper, so I like it.

I haven't looked at the website enough yet to decide whether it is better or not. It looks slicker, but I find it a bit harder to use than the old one and it does not seem as intuitive to me. Perhaps when I get used to it I will be ok with it, but so far I do not think it is a great improvement.

I understand the move to social media to some degree, but I do think newspapers are not understanding their audience well. People who are inclined to subscribe to newspapers generally want more in depth content and analysis (the sort of thing most newspapers are cutting back on), and do not care as much about live twitter feeds and instantaneous coverage.

The more successful newspapers in the digital era that can make people pay for content, actually have quite good content. If you try the flashy fluff coverage approach as a newspaper, you will get killed on line, because there are many others that already do that and do it better, and you will also ruin what is left of your credibility.

Can't believe how paranoid people are over this colour thing. If they made it red are they supporting liberals? Blue conservatives? Green green party? There's only so many goddamn colours in the world. They have to pick one...

Hmmm ... Let's see the PC's were the Government of Alberta for a long time and their main colour was blue, the Journal had blue on their front page for a long time.

The NDP, whose colour is orange, wins the Provincial election recently in May after a lot of talk of an orange wave and a now a few months later the Journal goes orange too. It seems to me to be a very interesting co-incidence.

Btw, the definition of paranoid is exhibiting an irrational fear or distrust of others. I don't fear that the Journal orange colour will hurt me, althought I do not much like it. Nor do I think it is irrational, it would be perfectly rational for the Journal to try to suck up to the new government to protect their business interests. However, I am not sure how successful they will be by just changing colours. More than anything else, I find it to be a bit amusing.

Been a longtime journal subscriber and usually only look at the print edition. For years we had difficulty even signing into the online edition.

My immediate response is "what on earth" It feels like they're going totally with an online random bits of short topics with very little real news. Getting a ton of little articles now that have no relevance to Edmonton. A lot of the format on the pages isn't even articles as such. On some of the pages theres more pictures than print and not even understanding what its supposed to be about.
    An entirely random article about some woman, somewhere, that lost her husband due to drug addiction and theres 6 pictures of him including in his casket. That is a tragedy for somebody I guess but its somewhere in the states, isn't news, and why am I reading it? I had trouble even parsing what the story was.
    Whole sections of the paper that could probably come with an explanation. "NP" Why am I reading the Edmonton journal with a section titled "National Post" I detest the National Post and have refused any and all attempts for it to be delivered to me. Now it is I guess in that the Journal has been swallowed hole.

Next, FP. took me a bit to figure out this is the former Business section although that being tagged somewhere would be nice.

"You" section. not making this up. Still trying to figure out if this is an entertainment section, a book section, or what on Earth it is. Whatever's in it has little interest and again random.

Basically the Journal has taken anything even remotely liked about it, any section liked, and done away with it to be replaced by these new non intuitive sections with entirely random content that I don't care enough about to even turn the page.

30 years of print subscriber done. Simply over. This isn't even the Edmonton Journal in anything other than name. (Double checks its still on there) Being how ridiculous this format is and how little notice I had that the Edmonton Journal was basically disappearing and usurped by some National Post imposter I'll ask for a refund for any portion of this dreck I'm being charged for.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

A few more rants about todays edition.

Whoops, no Alberta News. Somewhere in this redeveloped look and different sections somebody forgot to enable Alberta News Feeds. I can read about some things in Edmonton, around the country, but can't find any section that has Alberta coverage. Weird.
    The net effect of this all week is I'm reading about some murder trial of a guy named Oland that I've never heard of and don't care about, that is from Ontario, but inanely NOTHING on the much more local, Alberta Blairmore tragedy which I do care about and want to follow. Absolute news feed fail.

Next, the "You" section. (still wondering what this is has a full front page and 2 page foldout of a garage band. (I wish I was making this up) Apparently this is the Journal trying to be cool and hit up young readers. Except wait for it, why would somebody care about somebodies garage band? Next, after getting through that banality a full page nightmare of the Journals latest shtick showing photos of the uber young and restless and what ever tres chic happenings nobody cares about and what they were wearing? Is this the fashion section or entertainment section?

On page 4 of the apparent "Entertainment section" buried, is a very small print notice of the Who cancelling their tour which just happens to have an Edmonton stop and with countless thousands maybe wanting to know. Perhaps more important than a 2 page feature on a garage band or what the hipsters are wearing today. Page 5 has a feature from Washington about cleaning up toy aisles?!? Um what? and what relevance is that to anything? Oh, actual movie listings. I'm almost amazed they remembered to include this in a Saturday edition. It had been omitted in previous editions. Somebody must have brought this to the National Post, cough, Journals attention. Then a seniors section, tv section, and religion page. Again what on earth is you. It isn't entertainment. It isn't telling me whats going in Edmonton. There isn't one event listing in the whole section. There wasn't yesterday either. presumably nothng is going on in Edmonton or the Journal just forget that maybe it should be covered.

Finally, the Local news section, of a daily local newspaper has a scant 14pages of local coverage. On a Saturday print edition. That's it. I'm also hoping not much happened in Edmonton because I wouldn't be finding it out from this selective assortment of limited and random articles. I should mention that of this very brief section most of it is advertising. 2 of the pages are letters to the editor, and hardly any of it is topical local news. The News that impacts me being the only reason I would continue to purchase a Newspaper.

What a hopeless paper.
    Last edited by Replacement; 19-09-2015 at 12:04 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

I also think Replacement nailed it. I've been a print subscriber since 1976.

I have tolerated the hollowing out of the Journal's content over the past 15 years by recognizing the competition from online competitors has made this inevitable.

But to essentially erase much of the remaining local content and substitute National Post content instead feels like the final straw. I am particularly insulted that this bait and switch took place under the guise of a supposed improved format for the print edition. If I wanted Toronto-centric news and opinion, I would rather subscribe to the Globe and Mail's much superior stable of journalists and columnists (Margaret Wente notwithstanding).

I was further insulted by Margo Goodhand's cheery infomercial in today's paper in which she interviews what must be the Journal's one remaining print subscriber who is at least neutral on the changes.

Have to admit I am going through what can only be described as withdrawal symptoms. My 39 year long relationship with the print edition of the Edmonton Journal will in all likelihood soon be coming to an end.
    Last edited by East McCauley; 19-09-2015 at 08:23 PM.

I was further insulted by Margo Goodhand's cheery infomercial in today's paper in which she interviews what must be the Journal's one remaining print subscriber who is at least neutral on the changes.
    I dusted-off the flowbee and had a haircut while reading that dribble.

Bring back the Edmonton Bulletin!

I also think Replacement nailed it. I've been a print subscriber since 1976.

I have tolerated the hollowing out of the Journal's content over the past 15 years by recognizing the competition from online competitors has made this inevitable.

But to essentially erase much of the remaining local content and substitute National Post content instead feels like the final straw. I am particularly insulted that this bait and switch took place under the guise of a supposed improved format for the print edition. If I wanted Toronto-centric news and opinion, I would rather subscribe to the Globe and Mail's much superior stable of journalists and columnists (Margaret Wente notwithstanding).

Have to admit I am going through what can only be described as withdrawal symptoms. My 39 year long relationship with the print edition of the Edmonton Journal will in all likelihood soon be coming to an end.
    I thought this was particularly salty. They specifically select the one longtime reader they can find which leaves the other readers with the momentary impression that maybe they are just being negative, one sided, or whatever. To put a rah rah I like the format in the midst of all the criticism of this papers editiorial leadership that I've seen is completely laughable. Its trolling at best. Goodhand is the absolute worst editor which is saying something. Its stiff completion at the Journal. I feel as if Goodhand was specifically recruited to rid the rag of any remaining print readers so that they can focus solely on being an NP online version of National Enquirer. At this point the apparent plan is working to perfection, I'm happy to oblige.

and our other daily is the Sun....

Metro is imo the best daily in this City right now. Could I just get home delivery of that one? Sensible format, easy to read, covers basically what I want in news, and its free.

Meanwhile the dailies keep chasing some other kind of audience and as newspapers are somehow more interested in being rag tabloids instead of just covering the news.

NEWSpaper. I know its hard to figure out..
    Last edited by Replacement; 20-09-2015 at 11:55 AM.

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    I stopped reading the Journal a couple years ago when they stopped being journalists and became social media bloggers.

The site is meh. Nothing earth shattering. The content is still Twitter esque. Call me when they start being news people and stop retweeting.
    Will never happen - news as we used to know it is gone........can read the news in 2 mins on MSN now...which reminds me - most of MSN business these days is articles "written" by that Italian guy with the Herald. NO - hate the new format.

Is it just me, or has Calgary content been increasingly prevalent with the new (online) format. Perhaps it is just more prominent.

I scan both papers regularly and it certainly doesn't appear to work the other way around.

^I don't think so, here's an oiler's story on front page of Calgary herald:

http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/...208/story.html

Most of the provincial legislature stories come out of Edmonton, and many of the business ones out of Calgary. There aren't enough paid journalists in either Edmonton or Calgary to fill up an entier paper, and that's not really a new thing, there has always been a lot of padding with Reuters or similar. The only difference now days is that we can read those articles in national or international papers easily.

Quote Originally Posted by micmac View Post
    Is it just me, or has Calgary content been increasingly prevalent with the new (online) format. Perhaps it is just more prominent.

I scan both papers regularly and it certainly doesn't appear to work the other way around.
    I think Calgary content was becoming more prominent in the paper form as well. It also seems Grande Prairie gets a fair bit of mention in our local papers. Not sure if they are trying to pad out the content or trying to make the paper more provincial.

Frank Magazine is reporting Postmedia will merge The Edmonton Journal and The Edmonton Sun in March of next year.

Journal editors dismissed
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle28257456/

The Edmonton Journal’s editor-in-chief and managing editor have been dismissed.

Staff at the newspaper learned of the news through an internal memo, obtained by The Globe and Mail, on Tuesday morning. Senior editors at the paper were in their morning news meeting at the time.

“This short note is to let you know that effective immediately, the Edmonton Journal’s Editor Margo Goodhand and Managing Editor Stephanie Coombs have left the organization,” said Gerry Nott, a senior vice-president at Postmedia Network Canada Corp., in the memo. Postmedia owns the Journal.

“More information will follow soon about the editorial leadership at the Edmonton Journal,” Mr. Nott wrote.

Former Edmonton Journal editor-in-chief Lucinda Chodan, who is currently a regional vice-president for Postmedia and editor-in-chief of the Montreal Gazette, is in the Journal’s newsroom and helping with the transition, according to two sources.

Wow, this is awful -- the Journal and the Sun will both now be under Calgary supervision:

Postmedia's Calgary editors will take over responsibility for four Alberta papers as the media giant cuts 90 jobs across the country, CBC News has learned.

"Our Calgary brands: Calgary Sun and the Calgary Herald will share one Editor — [Calgary Sun editor] Jose Rodriguez," wrote Paul Godfrey, president of Postmedia in a memo to staff that was obtained by the CBC.

"Our Edmonton brands: Edmonton Sun and the Edmonton Journal will share one Editor — [Calgary Herald editor] Lorne Motley," he added.

The announcement came hours after news broke that the Edmonton Journal's editor-in-chief and managing editor were being dismissed.

The two Edmonton papers will also share a newsroom.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...cuts-1.3410509

"Postmedia" What an apt name for a business ushering in the end of print media.

These latest changes will be hard to even notice. Edmonton news content in the Journal had decreased already to as little as a few pages.

The paper had already felt swallowed whole by the National Post.

I will say that Margo Goodhand, and Stephanie Coombs, who cheerleaded the deplorable format changes that rendered the current paper almost unreadable are probably appropriate fires.

Under their direction the poor formats and re-sectioning was falsely applauded as if they represented improvements when any reader commenting saw if differently. Also two female editorial staff resulted in such changes as the Entertainment section being canned and replaced with a "you" section that doesn't speak to anybody not inured in fashion, style, makeup, accessories, recipe sharing, or what the best dressed are wearing at parties.
    Is this a newspaper or "Star" or "Good housekeeping"?

Best thing they could do at this point would probably be cease to exist.

Any of the fastest growing cities in the country deserve better dailies than what Postmedia have ushered in.

Default ^when will the sun and journal be gone?

I started a poll on it some time ago in 2009, its inevitable, I'm surprised still exist:

http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...monton+journal

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    Wow, this is awful -- the Journal and the Sun will both now be under Calgary supervision:
    Great, so we'll look forward to more Calgarycentric stories in the Journal.

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    I started a poll on it some time ago in 2009, its inevitable, I'm surprised still exist:

http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...monton+journal
    Good thread. So Scott McKeen used to make the odd post back then but no longer? Journal Policy maybe?

They're so desperate to save money that they can't have one person in Edmonton manage the Journal and one person in Calgary manage the Herald? Might as well kill off both papers entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

I will say that Margo Goodhand, and Stephanie Coombs, who cheerleaded the deplorable format changes that rendered the current paper almost unreadable are probably appropriate fires.
    I will say Goodhand got fired because she was the only editor-in-chief to publicly state it was dumb for the corporate head office (Paul Godfrey) to endorse the Prentice Conservatives and Harper Conservatives in the editorial page.

Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post

I will say Goodhand got fired because she was the only editor-in-chief to publicly state it was dumb for the corporate head office (Paul Godfrey) to endorse the Prentice Conservatives and Harper Conservatives in the editorial page.
    I wasn't aware of that angle. Doesn't change that Goodhand has been a poor editor and the worst steward of the Edmonton Journal in its 100 year history and which under her watch has ceased being a publication even remotely worth subscribing to. At best Goodhand played the role of a yes person in the deleterious changes and reformats of the Journal which has rendered it worthless.

Isn't c2e is looking for an editor, or at least editorials, for its first page.

http://www.connect2edmonton.ca

CBC: Postmedia cuts: Edmonton Journal, Sun dismiss top editors

Postmedia Network Canada Corp. confirmed the news Tuesday, saying the Journal's Managing Editor, Stephanie Coombs, and the Editor-in-Chief, Margo Goodhand, have been let go as the chain prepares to merge operations in Edmonton, Calgary, Ottawa and Vancouver. The Journal's newsroom operations will be managed out of Calgary.
    Now that's just swell. Hello any other local news source.

Looks like Ben Mah is gone too. A good chunk of the Journal articles posted on C2E are his.

Default Edmonton Journal death spiral?

I just received a notice that my monthly subscription fee is going up. After they cut back the number of editions and reduced the size of the paper, they now expect subscribers to pay more for less. Are the people who run this company completely insane?

People get the Journal mostly for local news and other information, not to get some centralized Sun/National Post pablum. This reminds we of what happened to other failing businesses. They make bad decisions, it compounds their problems and causes them to lose even more customers, then they cut more, their product and service quality deteriorates further and they lose even more customers ...

Once they go past a certain point, it becomes a death spiral. I think they are very close to that point, if not at it now. I know it is difficult for print media to survive in a digital era, but some have managed it. It is too bad the Journal seems to be going down the tubes.

Ben Mah, Ryan Cormier, John MacKinnon are gone.

I will miss Ben Mah's excellent writing on the Edmonton retail and commercial property scene.

I will miss Ryan Cormier's court reporting. One of the best in Edmonton.

John MacKinnon's sport articles? Meh, unsalted peanuts are more interesting.

I've been reading The Journal since I was 10 years old, this is just awful news. Out of Calgary now? Seriously? Local news just became a lot less important.

Con Griwkowsky gone from Edmonton Sun Sports.

Are the Sunshine girls now all going to be from Calgary too?

There was a hearse outside of the Journal Building at lunchtime... CBC was doing a '2 shot'.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Isn't his name Bill Mah? Yup, he will be missed!

C2E SME

I think I'll cancel the Journal. All of which was once great about the paper is gone.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Quote Originally Posted by sonicboom View Post
    Isn't his name Bill Mah? Yup, he will be missed!
    Correct, sorry Bill.

^^ Many would argue that declining subscriptions is part of the problem.

If I owned a newspaper conglomerate and needed to cut costs, the first thing I'll do is get rid of the Edmonton Examiner. It's just recycled stories from the Sun.

By the end of the year I predict the sports section in both local papers will mirror each other with the same content and columnists. Already we've seen Steve Simmons stuff in the Journal and Cam Cole in the Sun and Journal.

C2E SME

I've been a regular subscriber for 25 years, and I've read the Journal since I was a kid. I'll be an online subscriber. It's just sad to see a major voice for Edmonton get marginalized.

...and censored by a Calgarian.
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

I cancelled my subscription after hearing this news. End of an era. To be honest I got most of my news online (on other sites that don't require both a subscription and the viewing of horribly arranged, endless popup and banner ads) anyways, this was coming either way.

Former editor just posted full list of cuts.
    https://twitter.com/stephcoombs/stat...34320143638529

The day the Journal died?

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

so sad... cut the product, dilute the product, rinse, lather and repeat a half dozen times.

then wonder why not as many people buy your product. completely disconnected from those who want to buy it, that's why.

maybe they should have been catering to the newspaper readers and advertisers who will pay instead of chasing that online pot of gold? even the same information online is not the same as the same information in a newspaper. it isn't read the same way, it isn't remembered the same way and it isn't shared the same way.

it's much like the premature forecasting of the death of books because e-readers can provide the same information. it's not just about the information, it's about the experience. and the experience - if it's being provided - has value that will be purchased. it's just that those who would purchase the experience haven't been the customer base that they have chosen to cater to.

you can support a newspaper online but you can't replace a newspaper experience online and attempting to migrate from print to online is a mistake. and so is effectively printing the same paper across the country and pretending it is a local paper. readers - at least those who read newspapers and not screens - aren't that stupid.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Tragic, Postmedia's acquisition strategy was a bust. Their credit rating was downgraded to CCC+ with over $300M in debt a lot of which is in US$.

Bloomberg Business News
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Former editor just posted full list of cuts.
    https://twitter.com/stephcoombs/stat...34320143638529

So pretty much every reporter at the Journal? I mean...how many can be left? There wasn't much there to start with

C2E Continued Contributor

Relax.

Lorne Motley, FORMER editor of Calgary Herald will Relocate to Edmonton, as Editor in Chief.

The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes then steal your dreams.
    It's heaven and hell!

How on Earth does Sperounes survive the cuts? Is concert reporting really more important than news reporting?

Looks like Staples and Sperounes left then. Hell of a newsroom... <sarcasm>

How on Earth does Sperounes survive the cuts? Is concert reporting really more important than news reporting?
    <sarcasm>
    Going down the path of TV networks where news is more about entertainment than informing the audience.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

C2E SME

I hope that these editors can work on blogs or some other kind of media.

There's enough ex-employees to start their own newspaper

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    Are the Sunshine girls now all going to be from Calgary too?
    From sows to heifers.

They should start a web based local news site in competition. The EJ's website is utter garbage. Like hell I want to pay a subscription fee to be bombarded with trashy ads on every single bloody page I click.

The only reason I ever read the journal was for local columns anyways. If there was another site I could go to for just that, I would use it.

I have no idea on the economics of running a newspaper (can't imagine it's good..), but I figure the only way a newspaper could survive nowadays is if it's locally owned and operated. People looking for content pertinent to their location will definitely be more inclined to subscribe if it's not centrally controlled elsewhere. My guess is we will either see the death of the newspaper altogether or the emergence of local independent papers. No way the status quo will be maintained for much longer.

You know it's really dire for the two major daily newspapers when Metro Edmonton is now the main source for local news content.

It also gets very tiring when Calgary is the default place for agencies/companies/media etc. to scurry too when they downsize or amalgamate.
    I'm very seriously thinking of cancelling my Journal subscription also.

Top_Dawg had to look twice.

Jim Matheson's byline is on a hockey article in today's sports section of the Edmonton Sun.

Sure seems weird.

As well there's a Jeff MacKinnon article on curling.

Conversely, some of the Journal's hockey articles are now by Derek Van Diest from the SUN.

Top_Dawg only reads the Journal when he's sitting on the shitter.

Where nobody can see him slogging through such an intellectual cesspool.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post
    Top_Dawg had to look twice.

Jim Matheson's byline is on a hockey article in today's sports section of the Edmonton Sun.

Sure seems weird.

As well there's a Jeff MacKinnon article on curling.
    Yeah, totally weird. Who would of thought 10-30 years ago Jim Matheson's article would appear in the Sun?

That'll be as shocking as seeing Dick Chubby or Hicks on Six in the Journal.

Paul Godfrey, get your facts straight: Honderich

How did Postmedia wind up under the virtual control of U.S. hedge funds? The newspaper chain’s CEO blames an absence of Canadian bidders. Not so, says Torstar’s chair.

http://www.thestar.com/opinion/comme...honderich.html

Be nice for one of those other bidders to step up again.

The problem with Postmediahttp://www.thestar.com/business/2016...dia-olive.html

There is a cancer on Canadian journalism.

The malignancy is Postmedia Network Canada Corp., a foreign-controlled, debt-burdened contrivance flirting with insolvency that nonetheless is relied upon by about 21 million Canadian readers. Postmedia’s 200-plus media outlets, mostly newspapers, including some of the biggest dailies in the country, represent a far greater concentration of news media ownership than exists in any other major economy. And a degree of foreign ownership of the free press that would not be tolerated in the U.S., France, Japan or Germany.

The good news is that the Postmedia abomination, which has never turned a profit, is in such wretched condition that it’s not long for this world. The bad news is that as long as the biggest newspaper publisher in the country clings to life, it is a blight on all the communities it underserves.

Postmedia is controlled by quick-buck hedge funds in the U.S. Leading this group is New York-based GoldenTree Asset Management, which alone controls 35 per cent of Postmedia. Indeed, it was GoldenTree that created Postmedia, just five years ago, by salvaging proud, venerable newspapers like the Vancouver Sun, The Calgary Herald, the Ottawa Citizen and the Montreal Gazette from the ruins of the Asper family’s bankrupt Canwest empire.

^ from the same article:

To assist the asset-flipping Yanks, Postmedia is said to be lobbying Ottawa for a relaxation of Canadian ownership rules on cultural assets, since some of the deepest-pocketed bidders on a bankrupt Postmedia’s assets are likely to be foreigners.

There are alternatives more honourable than that outcome, by which genuine Canadian ownership is restored to newspapers that no longer have money sucked out of them but are reinvesting for a promising digital future.

• Charitable or non-profit trust. Two of the world’s most-respected newspapers, the London-based sister national papers The Guardian and the Observer, are owned by a non-profit trust. This is also the model for the Tampa Bay Times, owned by the Poynter Institute for Media Studies, a non-profit journalism school. The Times tops its rival, The Tampa Tribune, in readership. And it has won 10 Pulitzer Prizes since 1964.
    • Government backstop. Ottawa (CBC), Ontario (TVO) and Alberta (Knowledge Network) have each launched public broadcasters, all of them in the front rank of journalistic quality. The federal and subnational governments have a role to play in funding non-profit trusts like those described above should any of the country’s 100-plus daily newspapers hit the wall.
    • Community ownership: As noted, many if not most small and mid-sized papers in Canada continue to be profitable. With the backing of Canada’s enormous pension funds, they could be acquired by local interests. Or perhaps by the entire community. The Super Bowl-winning Green Bay Packers (three championships) are owned by thousands of investor residents in Wisconsin, each permitted to hold just one share so that the team is assuredly community owned and can’t be sold to become a tycoon’s plaything.

Postmedia is giving private ownership of an essential public service a bad name. Its charade of pretending to operate its papers in the public interest cannot end soon enough.

Shelia Pratt, senior Journal writer, announced on Twitter on Monday she is leaving.

I'm paying $10.45/month for a digital subscription and if the quality gets any worse than it already is I'll be cancelling too. Let the dog keep chasing it's tail, so to speak.

Default The cancer on Canadian journalism

That criticism by the Toronto Star was a bit harsh, but nonetheless fairly accurate.

I suspect the Star sees the Post teetering on the brink and doesn't mind giving them a bit of a gentle push right now. I also suspect they will be glad to pick up some of the pieces - as many as the competition laws allow.

I doubt the government will allow more foreign ownership to bail out the Post and its now rag tag collection of newspapers. I think the Post has few, if any, friends in the federal government right now and many who would be glad to see it go under.

Perhaps if the Post goes bankrupt and the pieces are sold off to some of its other competitors such as the Star and the Globe and Mail, it will actually be for the best. Ownership of newspapers will be a bit less concentrated, there will be more Canadian ownership and quality will triumph over slop.

Investigative reporter Karen Kleiss is also leaving, moving to Auditor General.
    The wheels are falling off the Journal, soon there won't be any editors or reporters left.

Default Edmonton Journal death spiral

Moral there must be very low. The quality of the paper is declining, the steady drip of cuts continues and the Post continues to lose money.

I suspect more people will leave for more secure employment.

I wonder how many pieces there will be for someone to pick up, if the Post fails.

Top_Dawg concurs.

Morals there have been very low for a long time now.

^ Hmmm, I really don't know how the Journal's morals are. I don't want to cast any aspertions.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Its a dying business. They do all the research, all the leg work, meet high standards of quality, etc., but it's now like daycares, social work and endeavours that produce immense value but no one is willing to pay for it.

For the employees this advice applies even more so than for investors:
    "Go for a business that any ***** can run – because sooner or later any ***** probably is going to be running it.” - Peter Lynch

I put a lot of the blame for the demise of Canada's newspapers on Conrad Black. Before most people were even on the Internet, I'd owned shares in JCI Technologies. Conrad Black killed the business and in my view killed the technological lead that Torstar and Southam has on pretty much everyone.

Much of this material is, or is from, content and references I posted to Wikipedia...

JCI Technologies explained

JCI Technologies "was a pioneering internet firm started by a Geoffrey Edmunds and Martin Winstanley in Victoria, B.C., Canada in 1992. Chris Simpson and John Erickson joined the firm as senior executives several years later. "JCI" was an acronym for Jobs Canada Inc. The firm created searchable online databases of job-seekers (resumes), cars and real estate, respectively, Jobmatch, Automatch and Realtymatch (an MLS search service). Large ownership stakes were taken early by Canada's two largest newspaper chains, Torstar and Southam. The intent was to publish the newspapers' classified advertising on JCI's online databases. (This is significant as newspaper chains were often cited as missing out on the online movement. While Ccraigslist.com has been cited as one of the first online classified advertising sites in 1995, JCI Technologies appeared to have been far more advanced in 1995.) "Craigslist.org was one of the first online classified sites..."

"In early 1996, Southam Inc. agreed to invest in JCI Technologies. Over time Torstar and Southam will have equivalent ownership interests. The strategic relationship with JCI and Southam should further the concept of a national electronic classified advertising service."[1]

JCI Technologies was cited as close to becoming Canada's largest online publisher in November, 1995.[2]

JCI Technologies was a pioneering internet service provider with online classified services dating back to approximately 1993 as evidenced by this quote from November 1995: "jci, one of only two Canadian content providers to the Microsoft Network, began its first service, JobMatch, nearly three years ago using ivr (Interactive Voice Response) technology. In 1995 JCI was selected to be one of the first content providers selected for Microsoft's MSN network prior to MSN's launch in the mid 1990s".[3]

By early 1996, JCI potentially had a dominant position in Canada's on-line classified ads with Southam also taking a stake in the company. Shortly after Conrad Black's Hollinger took over of Southam, financing for JCI was pulled and the investment failed just prior to the internet boom of the late 1990s.

Timeline
    ..."

http://everything.explained.today/JCI_Technologies/
    Last edited by KC; 03-02-2016 at 09:31 AM.

And given how Top_Dawg is amused by the spelling in this thread - it's aspersion howser.

^^

Social work ?

Have you any idea what a social worker employed by the government makes in salary ?

And from what Top_Dawg noticed, the vast majority of them become so jaded after a few years that they simply sit around drinking coffee most of the time waiting for their 1-1/2 hour lunch to roll around.

Which they probably expense.

Deez guyz are even bigger dogfuckers than teachers.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post

And given how Top_Dawg is amused by the spelling in this thread - it's aspersion howser.
    I'll leave this with you, Dawg:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/aspersion

Lift yer leg on that one.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

The former editor of the Edmonton Journal’s inside look at the damage being done to Canada’s newspapers
    http://thewalrus.ca/above-the-fold/

^I guess its like what Uber is doing to taxis. Journalism has been democratized. Anybody can start a news blog, and if you are a talented enough writer, you can make money doing that. Its all Freelance today, with a few "brands" which will continue to survive (probably even the Journal). That's the way of the future I think, all the journal will need is an editor to pick which freelance / reuters stories to include. It will be banner above a bunch of blogs from local or non local freelancers.
    Last edited by moahunter; 04-02-2016 at 10:54 AM.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

The former editor of the Edmonton Journal’s inside look at the damage being done to Canada’s newspapers
    http://thewalrus.ca/above-the-fold/
    such a sad state of affairs when any business becomes so indebted that all it's revenues are devoted to the first call of meeting its debt service requirements and there is no money left to support the core business itself.

it's a tremendous failure of our financial system that is instead being rolled out as a failure of the core business. when a restaurant goes broke under too much debt, no one insists that it is restaurants that are no longer viable.

it's interesting that margo's article about what was a strong local newspaper finished in a strong local restaurant. we need - and want - more of that, not less, from our newspapers as well as our restaurants.

i am still a journal subscriber but it is becoming less of what i want from a newspaper and more like the media's equivalent of soylent... you can "mash it all up" nationally like postmedia or as a local blog as some suggest but what you get still won't be a newspaper.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

That was a great and depressing read.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast