Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new Edmonton Journal format

highlander

I have not been a newspaper subscriber for a very long time, but if a new independent newspaper would start I hereby pledge to subscribe. I don't expect a new daily, even a weekly would go a long way to fill the void.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Liane Faulder is back at the Journal part-time
    https://www.facebook.com/liane.fauld...53480867164091
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I'd rather C2E than work!

^ That's great! She must be freelance.

So three weeks after the major layoffs, I have to say the Journal sucks. The paper is thinner than a Canadian Tire flyer.

So is this the classic move of laying people off at one pay scale, then hiring them back at a much lower one?

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Is anyone else getting all-Toronto ads on mobile?

Better in ways than the all-Calgary ads I was getting before, I guess.

Probably better than Metro too, which keeps recommending Halifax stories to me (garsh that seems a brutal town??)
    Let's make Edmonton better.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

I would highly recommend this article to all:

http://thewalrus.ca/above-the-fold/

Former Editor in Chief of the Journal tells the inside story.

C2E Posting Power
    Below that old white mountain, just a little southeast of Nome

Quote Originally Posted by AAAAE View Post

Article already posted at #97

Quote Originally Posted by edTel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AAAAE View Post

Article already posted at #97
    Yet neither contain a quote to help us decide if it's worth reading...

Bill Mah ‏@MahSpace
    So I'm back at @edmontonjournal. It's been a roller-coaster month but I'm happy to be a journalist again.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Matt Dykstra and Jodie Sinnema are gone: https://www.facebook.com/EJPaulaSimo...65937740096018

Older but relevant article on Postmedia newspaper conglomerate:

http://www.nationalobserver.com/2015...wspaper-empire

Just read Fish Griwkowsky's review of the Black Sabbath. His disjointed writing had me wondering why this brain-damaged dimbulb still has a job while much better journalists were punted out the door. If he's trying to engage in a bout of creative writing, it ain't working.

So Top_Dawg has always loved the Edmonton Sun.

Since he used to deliver it when he was just a li'l pup.

Over the last several years Top_Dawg began coming across spelling and usage errors throughout the newspaper.

And they began multiplying exponentially.

Most of them left Top_Dawg shaking his head and muttering to himself ' Who edits this ***** ? '.

Now Top_Dawg doesn't know how many of youz read the print edition.

But a headline in today's paper demonstrates the abject level of incompetence and ineptitude to which their editors have sunk.

The article reports on Premier Notley's reaction to Edmonton Catholic School Board's decision to eliminate basic school fees for the upcoming year and whether the government will top up the School Board's lost revenue.

And the 3/4" high bolded headline for the article reads: ' Redford Mum On School Fees Promise '

Who edits this ***** ?

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post

Over the last several years Top_Dawg began coming across spelling and usage errors throughout the newspaper.

Most of them left Top_Dawg shaking his head and muttering to himself ' Who edits this ***** ? '.

But a headline in today's paper demonstrates the abject level of incompetence and ineptitude to which their editors have sunk.

The article reports on Premier Notley's reaction to Edmonton Catholic School Board's decision to eliminate basic school fees for the upcoming year and whether the government will top up the School Board's lost revenue.

And the 3/4" high bolded headline for the article reads: ' Redford Mum On School Fees Promise '

Who edits this ***** ?
    All the layout work and some of the editing was outsourced to a company in a strip mall in suburban ontario somewhere.

C2E SME

haha, I read and re-read Top_Dawg's post and was like "I don't see any grammar errors there. What's the problem?"

Oh.

Default Redford mum on school fees promise

I get your point, but I suppose the headline is technically correct - Redford probably didn't say anything recently about a school fees promise. Of course, that is because she hasn't been Premier for some time now. Maybe next time they can write about Aberhart not doing something as premier - which would also be technically correct, since he has been dead since the 1940's.

I think the editing for Canada has been centralized to cut costs and someone in Ontario somewhere edits this stuff now for all the Post Media papers. Whoever it is, obviously either doesn't know or care who the Premier of Alberta currently is. This should be a tad embarrassing for the Edmonton Sun, standards are now quite obviously slipping.

Perhaps in their rush to automate, the Sun has created a pull down menu of Alberta Premiers they like to criticize arranged in alphabetical order, in case their column writers do not actually know who the Premiers are. Someone must have clicked on the next one on the list in error, as Redford probably comes right after Notley.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    I get your point, but I suppose the headline is technically correct.
    But it's not technically correct because the sub-headline says "But doesn't rule out funds from provincial budget". Obviously, Redford's days of having anything to do with the provincial budget ended 2 years ago when she stepped down. I know your comment was a bit of a yarn so all good.

I see awful editing all over the last few years it seems. Global has had a ton of newsroom people retire in the last while and some days the miscues and mistakes are just painful to watch, I'm assuming most of the experience is gone so the younger, new generation has taken over and you can tell. Hopefully in time they find their wings.

Another classic Edmonton Journal moment.

Check the caption under the first picture.

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...e-murder-trial

Edit: Two hours later they finally embedded a video and removed the nonsense caption.
    Last edited by Top_Dawg; 15-09-2016 at 04:36 PM.

^March 8, 2016? Yup.

I just signed on to a WSJ trial. Its really nice to read a newspaper that has a more neutral (i.e. not a Liberal bent like NYT, who famously came out against Keystone XL) take on the world, and where real journalists actually do some real investigation. The business news is great as well. Canadian newspapers just can't compete, even the National post (best of a bad bunch) had a little comment about how it was laying off staff the other day.
    Last edited by moahunter; 15-09-2016 at 02:42 PM.

Wall street journal as neutral? Really? The newspaper known through and through as republican establishment?

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post

Who edits this ***** ?
    You’ll love this one.

Do you own one of Canada’s most stolen vehicles of 2017? | Driving

http://driving.ca/toyota/4runner/aut...hicles-of-2017

I found this article in yesterday’s paper edition’s Driving section, page B3. Being an Albertan I was naturally interested in Alberta’s numbers. Moreover, this is in a copy of the “Edmonton” Journal. I’ll admit that Alberta does get brief mention but you have to dig for it. We didn’t even make the tables. (Note the breakdowns by region.)

“IBC says the following vehicles were the top 10 most stolen in Canada, with breakdowns by region. It does not have stats for B.C., Manitoba, Saskatchewan or the territories.”
    Last edited by KC; 03-03-2018 at 08:31 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12