Thread: I attended NUIT BLANCHE in Edmonton tonight... This is what I saw (Pics & Vids)

First One is Always Free

Default I attended NUIT BLANCHE in Edmonton tonight... This is what I saw (Pics & Vids)

For those of you that were unable to attend, I've compiled all of my best photos & videos of the night. Enjoy!

Click to view the rest!
    Join over 19,000 of us at Shoutout Edmonton! -- www.ShoutoutEdmonton.com

We really enjoyed last night. It was a very relaxing way to spend a few hours downtown.
    Edmontonian and proud of it!

C2E Long Term Contributor

Nuite Blanche was awesome for the most part. Always great to see the downtown core so alive on a Saturday night.

The Wish Tree was amazing to see. All that was missing was Yoko Ono herself.

Also liked "Ouroboros" inside City Hall.

102 Ave was closed off between 100 St and 101 St for a small but lively market.

Dancing of the Cranes wasn't as cool as I thought it would be. The cranes moving to some Hendrix/NIN guitar music didn't really do anything for me. And despite the attempt to generate a party-like atmosphere in the City Centre parkade, the OEG could have served some drinks and provided some seating. I left after 15 minutes, and the exits were packed.

Didn't bother going through the balloon-filled pedway ("Half the Air In A Given Space") because there was a 2 hr lineup and I already did enough lining up at the Comic Expo.

There was also a lineup for the National Elevator Project inside Tix On The Square

The Citadel had a 50th anniversary party c/w a live band.
    http://www.citadeltheatre.com/show/heart-beat-party/

Sherlock Holmes patio was open, and Rice Howard Way strip was busy.

Of all the arts venues open tonight, the AGA was closed to the public due to a wedding reception.

Overall a resounding success! Hope its an annual event.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I agree with everything SDM said, the attendance was very good for the first year of this festival. Hopefully it will be bigger and better next year as a night time festival in fall suits Edmonton very well. It looks like this festival might have staying power.
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

I went out to take a look around. There was some very cool stuff and some odd wasteful stuff.

While the cranes dancing like giant industrial whirling dervishes was cool, the choice of music, though I understand why the choice of industrial / metal, left much to be desired.

Pity the AGA was being rented out for a private party.
    Did I see Doctor Who's police box somewhere?

City Hall and Churchill Square were wonderful.

SO MANY PEOPLE! This should be the normal number of people downtown on a Saturday night. It was wonderful to see so many out.

Explored post AGA lecture by Zita Cobb until about 1am, hits and misses, but for a first year definitely a good first attempt. Churchill was incredible as was the balloon pedway, inside City Hall, Rolling soccer field, projection and sound at the WTC etc. Connecting the installations a little more cohesively would be nice as it would for a few more businesses to remain open... although many did, WITH PATIOS!

Cranes were indeed anticlimactic, but neat either way.

The best part of the evening was seeing so many people Downtown, including many families and seniors.

Bravo, let's get more folks involved for 2016!
    Last edited by IanO; 28-09-2015 at 10:27 AM.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

First One is Always Free

It will be back in Edmonton in 2017. I saw it on the Edmonton NB twitter account and was wondering if it was a typo, but it's confirmed here also http://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/...ticle26547483/

Don’t expect to see a Nuit Blanche Edmonton 2016. The plan right now is to run every two years, according to Burns, alternating with Nuit Blanche Calgary, which held events in 2012 and 2014. “The art world has this tradition of the biennial; it’s a known, familiar format,” she remarked. Moreover, “as a free, resource-intensive event, it’s more sustainable for our non-profit to [do it in alternate years]. In terms of audience development, we have the opportunity to produce smaller-scale … programming in the off years [to permit us] to connect with audiences and educate and grow our base in and around Edmonton.”

Why swap with Calgary every second year?
    This should be an annual event in Edmonton.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasH View Post
    Why swap with Calgary every second year?
    This should be an annual event in Edmonton.
    Its harder to get traction in this market with an every other year event. This is festival city with lots of established fests going on which keep established year after year.

Does Nuit Blanche alternate in all cities that they have events in. I don't think they do. Or is this just in Alberta that they are alternating. Because theres some message in "Calgary and Edmonton can just alternate" that is potentially unattractive.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

i agree that this should be an annual event.

i also appreciate the difficulty in organizing any "new" venture in edmonton even if - like nuit blanche - it has history elsewhere. the difficulty in getting sponsorship support and government support can at best be described as daunting and it can easily and quickly burn out your volunteer core.

unfortunately, the same sponsorship support and government support noted above is sometimes easier to retain for annual events than biannual events although ruth is entirely correct - while many nuit blanche events are annual, it is very common for "arts events" to be held every second year (and they are in fact often referred to as biennials and even in some cases every third year etc. as triennials etc.).

while my preference would be an annual nuit blanche, i could also see supporting a biannual nuit blanche with a biennal art fair in the "off years"...
    Last edited by kcantor; 28-09-2015 at 06:43 PM.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

... on that note, thank you to Qualico and all of the other sponsors of this event.
    www.decl.org

Really good start, I applaud everyone involved in organizing our first Nuit Blanche. I appreciated how you not only got to interact with interesting art, but the way it was laid out (and the accompanying map) made it an exploration of Downtown and the Quarters.

For many it is not very often they get to explore our Downtown with thousands of other people in a comfortable, friendly and fun atmosphere. I hope and am optimistic this is the kind of core we can have in the future.
    www.decl.org

C2E Hard Core Contributor

I thought it was great. Absolutely fantastic to see so many people downtown.

Dance of the Cranes audience - Rogers Place time lapse
    http://www.rogersplace.com/time-lapse-5/

“You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

How did this event compare to that grey cup party that happened a while back?
    be offended! figure out why later...

Hard to compare, very different.
    www.decl.org

31 Contemporary Art Projects • 121 wish trees • 4,500 gold balloons • 7 Bouncy Castles • 4 dancing construction cranes • 5 uncooperative elves • 9 Hours • 1 Night • 1 Transformed City • 52,000 attendees

Video of the night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wy3AVLIF_e0
    www.decl.org

Thank you to Qualico, among others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jzU...ature=youtu.be
    www.decl.org

www.decl.org

How about raising the entry fee $10 & getting the hipster picnic off the City's direct subsidy list entirely, rather than keep the tin cup out for begging?
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

A donation (can't recall if they had one) similar to the Fringe would be a good idea to raise a few tens of thousands.
    www.decl.org

I pay for enough things that I don't use (roads, schools, welfare, Calgary's 'free' airline, National Centre for Music, Sports Hall of Fame), no issues or appologies paying for this tiny one which I do use.

Sorry, this deserves support.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

Yeah, you can't really do and entrance fee (it's all out in the open) but a $10 suggested donation even at 25% compliance would cover half the costs if their numbers are right. But I don't have a problem with the city spending money on a party for it's citizens as long as it's a truly public event.
    Last edited by Highlander II; 30-08-2016 at 10:52 AM.
    There can only be one.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

i think you're confusing nuit blanche with diner en blanc...

nuit blanche deserves every penny of what they're seeking. it was as egalitarian an event as you will see both in terms of whose transitory art was presented and in terms of who attended.

full disclosure - i have been a big supporter of nuit blanche since the opportunity to hold one in edmonton was first presented.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

I'd rather C2E than work!

Yeah.

C-O-N-F-U-S-I-O-N !

Too many of these white goat breeding galas for Top_Dawg to keep straight.

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    i think you're confusing nuit blanche with diner en blanc...

nuit blanche deserves every penny of what they're seeking. it was as egalitarian an event as you will see both in terms of whose transitory art was presented and in terms of who attended.

full disclosure - i have been a big supporter of nuit blanche since the opportunity to hold one in edmonton was first presented.
    Oh yeah, my bad. Hipster picnic comment withdrawn.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

First time for everything?

Let's make Edmonton better.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post

Yeah.

C-O-N-F-U-S-I-O-N !

Too many of these white goat breeding galas for Top_Dawg to keep straight.
    What are you saying here Dawg?

Nuit Blanche should get the funding it requests because it is one of the few festivals Edmonton has in autumn. I throughly enjoyed attending the festival last year.

I do hope that the 'quality' of the event goes up, but I did like the fanciful nature of some installations.
    www.decl.org

I wish this was an annual event

^ well there is the "petite nuit" this year

http://nuitblancheedmonton.ca/petitenuit/

Just back from the announcement of a new corporate sponsor, ATB!

Sept 29, 2018!

twitter.com/dbayeg
    www.decl.org

I am greatly glad that Nuit Blanche is finally coming back

"2018"

lmao

Will this silly little fad be done by then?

What balloon installations and message trees can we look forward to this time?

Can the COE float be used as one and floated into orbit?

lol, what a crowded room for the announcement..IanO will report 100's were in attendance for this widely touted transformative inclusive announcement.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Great partnership with ATB. Goal of 75,000 people this next go around.
    www.decl.org

I want all of the pedways filled with different coloured balloons this time!
    www.decl.org

For the love of God make sure the AGA is open this time. Last time Nuit was on, AGA was closed for some private function.

Many lessons learned.
    www.decl.org

I went last time and enjoyed myself. Mainly enjoyed seeing so many people Downtown at night. Big win for getting people in the streets, plazas, parks, establishments. Even if it lacked "substance" to some.. There were people, action, things to do, it was busy.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

Nuit Blanche Edmonton is bringing the Impulse + Loop installations to The Quarters Sept. 22–Oct. 1

https://twitter.com/nuitblancheed

Impulse
    https://www.creos.io/en/art/impulsion

Loop
    https://www.creos.io/en/art/loop
    Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 18-09-2017 at 10:03 PM.