Thread: Edmonton touted as tourist mecca for Americans

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default Edmonton touted as tourist mecca for Americans

Edmonton touted as tourist mecca for Americans
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...cans-1.3272555

Forget the Golden Gate Bridge and North Beach: American tourists should check out the High Level Bridge and North Saskatchewan River.

That's according to a San Francisco travel writer, who says Edmonton is shaping up to be the next trendy destination for American tourists.

Spud Hilton, travel editor of the San Francisco Chronicle, praised Edmonton in his latest article, admitting he was clueless about the city before his July stopover. He noted Edmonton is "virtually unknown" among American travellers.

"The job of a travel editor, as I see it, is not to write yet another story about places we already know about," Hilton said Thursday in an interview with CBC's Edmonton AM morning radio show.

"My is job is to try and seek out those places that are overlooked because they're not heard of, or maybe because people have the wrong impression about them."
    As Hilton writes in his blog, Edmonton is attempting to shake its industry town image and become a more compelling place for outsiders.

"Edmonton has never had to rely on tourism, in large part because of the sugar-daddy-like oil industry that is dominant throughout most of Alberta," he said.

"It shows, if only in the labels applied to Edmonton over the years — the 'Gateway to the North,' as well as the 'Gateway to the Rockies,' both of which imply its value is as a hub or pit stop for people headed somewhere else."

Despite Edmonton's rough-and-tumble reputation, Hilton said travellers will be won over by its thriving arts and culture scene, busy nightlife, buzzing sidewalks and the quirky feel of Old Strathcona. The Edmonton river valley landscape was also a winner.

"The entire river valley is just wonderful," he said. "It's an absolutely beautiful landscape that includes a lot of nature that a lot of cities would kill to have."

Hilton did have some constructive criticism for the city.

He warned visitors that navigation in Edmonton takes some getting used to. Every address "has more digits than nuclear launch codes," he said. And the city's urban sprawl makes a stroll in many neighborhoods less than enticing.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Long Term Contributor

"Edmonton has never had to rely on tourism, in large part because of the sugar-daddy-like oil industry that is dominant throughout most of Alberta," he said.

I want a T-shirt of this.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Very true...

Tired of being taken advantage of .

"He warned visitors that navigation in Edmonton takes some getting used to. Every address "has more digits than nuclear launch codes," he said. And the city's urban sprawl makes a stroll in many neighborhoods less than enticing."

I love our numbering system but have always thought that we should also allow secondary naming of roads.
    Eg. 82nd Ave. (Whyte Ave) both would be posted on street corners or the numbers on the corners and the names hanging over the roadway.

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post

I want a T-shirt of this.
    You mean as in: oil's my sugar?
    Or oil's so sweet - or is that crude?

Or..
    Child of an OilDaddy.
    OilDaddy's kid.
    I'm with OilDaddy.

Or let's rename Edmonton! OilDaddyton or OilDaddyVille (soon to be spoofed as OilDaddyVile)
    Last edited by KC; 16-10-2015 at 06:50 AM.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Or, KC, just run with a good story without turning it sideways.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    "He warned visitors that navigation in Edmonton takes some getting used to. Every address "has more digits than nuclear launch codes," he said. And the city's urban sprawl makes a stroll in many neighborhoods less than enticing."

I love our numbering system but have always thought that we should also allow secondary naming of roads.
    Eg. 82nd Ave. (Whyte Ave) both would be posted on street corners or the numbers on the corners and the names hanging over the roadway.
    Major roads should have actual names, 104th Ave for sure. What was the original name on that ave before the number system? perhaps we should bring it back.

C2E SME

I think it was Boyle Street, east of downtown.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Administrator *

And wasn't it MacKenzie Avenue west of downtown? Could be wrong on that...